Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
174 hours played in this game and I haven't actually logged a win yet; in the past I've just been overwhelmed by how complex late-game manufacturing is, but this time I'm closer than ever. Reaching those big production milestones and watching your base output skyrocket is so satisfying. This time I've made it further than ever, now fully able to mass-produce blue belts and my base is now 100% using blue belts and it just looks sick as hell. Also having clouds of robots continuously supplying me with more blue belts so I never need to stop to refill, and more clouds of robots clearing trees out of the way so I have room. But now I need to actually increase my production again to justify the bandwidth. Guess I can start by replacing my blue assemblers with yellow ones. The struggle continues. :(

What a loving satisfying game, though. The only thing I don't like is that there's no way to automate alien artifact harvesting. It feels a little weird to have to go manually collect stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LtSmash posted:

Try building a rocket. You'll discover all kinds of bottlenecks you didn't think of.

I'm still teching to it. I'm playing on peaceful because biters just suck (it's really cool that you can make them passive) so I'm just getting around to farming up artifacts now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

See you later, fuckers!! Took a paltry 39 hours to launch.

Time to start over. :science:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Really dumb question about train stops: does the "wait until" parameter for a stop in a train route determine when the train advances to the stop, or when the train leaves that stop?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FISHMANPET posted:

No, the stop doesn't do anything. The most it can do is pass a circuit value to the train.

The conditions on a train order determine when the train leaves. Think of it as "until." Go to stop "until" the condition is satisfied.

Cool, thanks. Every time previously I've just used the default stop parameters but I'm trying to be a little more advanced with my factory overall this go around.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you're already producing goods off-site, why don't you set up a different site for reds with its own copper supply?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel even better about playing on peaceful now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Tell me about it. I'm in the process of scaling up my factory to mass-produce rockets, which is involving a huge chunk of time spent just demolishing old chunks of my factory, untangling my labyrinth of train tracks and building new receiving bays for materials, and stuff like that that a sane person would just call "chores." And it feels like hours are just melting away as I do it. I'm sure it's some kind of latent autism bubbling up to the surface but whatever. :spergin:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wow there are some really cool mods for this game. Electric vehicles, warehouses, rail tankers, and 10x stacks are going to be must-haves for me from now on.

Also gotta have Honk. My main train depot is a noisy chaotic mess :swoon:

e: :laffo: An electric train going like 250 km/h slammed into my electric tank that's fitted with three MK2 shields. The train immediately exploded and the tank didn't take any actual damage.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 9, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just go with efficiency. I think Bhodi is right, the best plan is just to run multiple mines with multiple trains in parallel. Two stops are going to generate more ore than one no matter what you load into them. I also don't bother with bots for mines; I just belt everything over to the train stop. Belt -> chest -> cargo wagon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
On the current game I'm playing I have 74 trains, each towing two wagons, and the game is running at like 70% speed permanently from how much crap is going around, even though I have everything I can think of cranked down to low. :(

But who cares, because more trains is always better.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 11, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game has broken me. Apparently I have 50 hours into this file now and I haven't even researched Rocket Silo yet. But that's in part because rather than collecting alien goo for purple tech...

...I spent a lot of time making sure I have an OSHA-compliant, well-lit, clearly demarcated path through my main base so I can drive through it without accidentally slamming into any assemblers or power lines.

...Cleaning up my receiving bay and getting rid of all my coal belts since I'm now 100% on electric trains. (Still a work in progress, since there's still some gross natural greenery infecting my industrial hellscape.)

...And making a new iron smelting facility with 480 electric furnaces.

I'm not sure how quickly I can chunk out rockets with this setup but I'm pretty positive the answer will be "not quickly enough." :(

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I produce iron plate, iron gears, steel, copper plate, copper cable, green chips, plastic, sulfur, and batteries away from my main base, and train it in, because trains are cool.

And since I do have 160 assemblers making red chips on-site, that's a lot of copper cables.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Thanks for letting me know, now I'm even more sidetracked. :sigh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You could use a separate car for each item, and then you can limit the available stacks in them the same way you can limit chests.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why would you use red inserters for that?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh I see, yeah I should look at the entire picture at once. I need my coffee :shobon:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there any way to mitigate the persistent slowdown in-game? I'm trying to scale up more but the larger my factory and facilities get the slower the game runs. Is that a byproduct of running mods, or just inherent to the game? It's taking me forever to do anything now because even with three exoskeletons I'm moving more slowly than the base guy at the start of a new game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FISHMANPET posted:

Factorio is mostly a single threaded app and eventually you just hit a CPU wall. Sounds like in .15 it's going to be multi-threaded which is going to do wonders for performance. But basically the only answer is to put up with it and wait for them to improve the engine.

Yeah I dunno it's just so sluggish now. One of the mods I run is EvoGUI and the play timer is taking over two seconds for a single second to pass. I don't think I'm going to take another shot at mass-producing rockets until .15 rolls around.

It's too bad. :( I was starting to like some of my big processing plants.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I play on peaceful so really the only thing I use it for is a play timer.

e: The culprit seems to be wireless charging, which is too bad because I liked those electric trains. :(

Even with the mod disabled, the slowdown is kinda gnarly though.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 15, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Barreling is a pain in the rear end but long-distance piping is way worse and is awful to try and scale up. I'm gonna nth just getting the rail tanker mod. That'll let you transport via train any fluid too, not just crude, so you can have an intermediate processing site to render crude into petroleum before sending it off to your sulfur or plastic plants.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Buy the game. If you managed to stay entertained watching someone else play the game then you're going to love it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the compelling part is that it has a very high ceiling for sperginess but also a very low floor. So you can very delicately fine tune your factory for optimal ratios and space, or you can just say gently caress it and slam full every belt and not think about it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
After you set up a blue tech system it's pretty much open from there, but that's when I begin to really scale up my rail system and invest in bots.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You should be training in oil from other sites in order to get the production you need for the rocket. That's the presumably intended way to not have it take forever to build.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bots aren't going against the spirit of Factorio because they cover a logistic need that belts and trains don't fulfill, but at the same time are inefficient and very expensive for moving large amounts of goods. They're a huge drain on power and are very expensive if you're using them to operate a mining outpost, they have a much smaller throughput than belts for a smelting facility unless you're employing thousands of them, and they're completely ineffective at long-distance transport. A fully outfitted factory is going to employ bots alongside belts and trains for maximum efficiency.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

seravid posted:

I'm building a mining outpost when suddenly, a tornado/firestorm/Godzilla lays waste to my oil processing plant. Now, the situation is either handled automatically or it needs my direct intervention. If it's automated, then I have researched and constructed whatever safeguards/defenses needed and can keep building the outpost in peace. Disasters are never seen, they're just another red triangle in the bottom of the screen.

That sounds about right to me, y'know? The whole point of the game is to tech and design solutions to automatically resolve problems and generate goods.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just think fighting biters is really boring and dumb. Whenever I play with peaceful disabled I always have to overbuild anyway because I do not want to fight them. I think the combat is pretty one-dimensional and has no rewards. Especially in the early game when you're hitting the first pollution thresholds, if you aren't ready for the attacks it's a huge nuisance and a setback. And you have to deal with it, you can't just ride out a biter attack, which is probably the biggest problem for me. If biters find their way past my perimeter, I have to get over there and clean it up, even if it's just one or two little guys, and that's the real pits.

I would rather have violent weather patterns that worsened as your pollution output increased and caused rapid climate change. In the early game, rain or strong winds wouldn't be too severe and would encourage you to tech out of flimsy wooden power poles into the steel stuff, or something. At least with a bad storm you can just wait for it to pass through and clean up afterward, and I think it would be a more fun way of stress-testing a fully established factory with backup power and maintenance and so forth. Not to mention it would give a little bit more late-game utility to stuff like steam engines. Solar is very clearly and plainly better than steam once you can afford it right now, but it would be interesting (to me) to have to keep the antiquated stuff around as an occasional fallback if the snow was severe enough to throttle my solar plants.

I dunno. I see the value of having external threats in games like this and Sim City; it's a means to stress-test what you've built and get you to respond to something. I play peaceful in this game because I think the biters are very poorly implemented, but I play with disasters on in Sim City.

Weather effects would also just be visually interesting imo. :shrug:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That would probably be fun as a mod suite, but I think if Starcraft-esque base building was a part of the main game it would be more of a turnoff than anything else. If I wanted to play Starcrat against bots, I would.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sage Grimm posted:

Now if this were under a system that could predict and maybe influence bad weather, then you could have interesting gameplay come out of climate change. But if you're just saying "LET'S PUT SIM CITY DISASTERS IN FACTORIO" then it's just trying to slap on a system that does not integrate well with another.

I'm not advocating for the Hand of God coming down and smiting your poo poo so you have to rebuild it like Sim City disasters, no. But once you get to the point where mass-producing solar panels is affordable, you have the capacity for infinite power with no opportunity cost whatsoever. Just make a gigantic blueprint, drive down and lay down prints for five thousand more solar panels and get back to your day and bots will take care of the rest on their own. I don't think that's really any more compelling than driving around the map in a tank stomping out biter bases and laying down blueprints for yet another mining post.

I don't enjoy driving around my base putting out fires all day, which is why I don't like biters and I wouldn't like weather effects unless they were established with a very even hand. I would think of them more as just external pressures, causing strain on a high-functioning factory that doesn't have diverse subsystems and giving a little bit of late-game flavor.

eta: I think it's just a measure of what people are looking for in the later game. Some people want to launch a rocket and be done, some people want to have a gigantic purpose-built factory for 1RPM, and for someone like me, I like the idea of having a massive and robust factory that can handle any task.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gadzuko posted:

I don't really get why weather would be superior to biters. Biters are 100% predictable and preventable. If you're driving around putting out fires all the time then that means you messed up, defense is pretty easy to automate honestly. How is building a turret line any different than having to set up a backup steam generator?

They're a nuisance early game imo and that's when your hands are the most full anyway. Sure once you have infinity bullets and laser turrets and robots to keep them repaired and full forever they're a nonissue.

zedprime posted:

Biter divisiveness is understandable enough but my favorite part of this game is everything emergent out of the avatar/nature as a survival game. By the time you lose that you're just left with ratios and build orders which makes it a slightly uglier Anno.

Getting logistics deliveries and setting up a personal roboport are religious moments.

The logistics and robotics are still a religious moment even when you play on peaceful.

The main problem I have with biters is that there is no intelligent or creative solution for them. Factorio is great because you can scale up your base theoretically infinitely and you can be as blunt or precise about it as you want, and while there's no upper limit to how spergy you can be about proper ratios and the like, the minimum amount of :spergin: required is very low. And there isn't One True Way to build a base.

With biters, you just kinda deal with them until you can mass produce walls and turrets, at which point it's mostly solved, and then once you get bots to maintain your perimeter it's completely solved. It's just very boring and reductive. Plus the actual gameplay of grabbing a gun and shooting aliens is about as badly executed as you could imagine. It's not fun and there's no tangible reward. By the time you need purple you have the tech to completely nullify any remaining challenge of getting the purple.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You did remember that, but it doesn't sound like they're changing how biters operate, they just don't drop purple anymore.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

dbzfandiego posted:

What are some recommended mods for a first-ish play through?

Rail tankers, barreling crude oil for transport is a stupid waste of effort.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah but how much the player avatar's limitations are a nuisance depends on the player, and should be left to them to decide. It was never a huge deal for me, but a long reach upgrade came with the inventory upgrade mod I use and so now I have both, and it's fine too.

Like mentioned earlier, mod integration in this game is remarkably seamless and almost none of the mods require or benefit from a fresh game to take advantage of.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Consolidation into storage chests is nice because then your entire stockpile of loot is in one place.

Just mouse over and see that aw yeah, I'm sitting on 150k bankroll of iron plate :whatup:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Spakstik posted:

What are the benefits of trains over very long conveyor belts?

Faster to build, more flexible for multiple routes on a single track, much higher throughput (especially for bulk items like iron), much less expensive for long distances, fast travel for the player, looks cool.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think trains can have higher throughput; they can only be as fast as the belts that feed them. Their benefit is in flexibility and construction - one piece of track requires one steel, one stone and one iron stick but the same area of express belts needs over a hundred iron gears.

Sort of, except the belts are loading into chests which load into the train, and twelve stack inserters can load onto a train at once. And the chests are being loaded constantly whether the train is there or not. Plus you can supplement your loading/unloading with bots. A train can be set with 40 stacks of iron very, very rapidly, and can be hauled over a very long distance much faster than belts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Get Honk anyway, the background din of trains sounding their horns constantly adds a lot of flavor to your industrial hellscape.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
However, if you want to see everything in a logistic network when you click on a chest, you can get hosed because that list is going to trail right past the bottom of your monitor and onto the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It takes a long time before behemoths come at you, you'll be fine.