Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Yeah, that's more than likely the autosave. The default autosave is something like once every two minutes, set it to something more sane like once every half hour and see if the "hitching" doesn't go away.

(edit) Finally beat this game for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Count me in for wanting nuclear tech. I'd like to see an ore that isn't useful at all early game, but once you get into 20th century tech you can start refining it, add "aluminum tubes" and "yellowcake" to your resource bus. We need a more dangerous alternative to fields of batteries and solar panels to provide power in the mid and lategame. Iron Man's chest reactor is already in the game, we should get the ability to make a big one too. Obviously we need a way to spend 1000 plutonium or palladium or whatever to make a nuke that effectively does the same thing as a stack of poison capsules but with only one use.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Everybody post a picture of your bus. This is most of my main line a couple of hours before I beat the game. Lesson learned from this experience: Only copper wire and circuits really need that expandable modular double production line, everything else can get by with a single line of five at most.

If anybody has sulfur, plastic, explosives, or CPU production lines that are pretty as well as productive, I'd like to see them. I'm not really proud of mine.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 23, 2014

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Kinetica posted:

Man, all of these well thought out factories makes my achievement in not having material shortages pale in comparison.

How do you guys normally deal with the larger biter bases? Clouds and clouds of poison capsules? I tried using explosive rockets and they seem kinda underwhelming.

In the earliest stage, before you get full fledged Iron Man armor, I use clouds of poison capsules combined with regular non-explosive rockets (they do double damage to single targets but no splash damage) combined with a laser turret cluster to fall back to. Place turrets as close as possible (you only do this once, this isn't turret creeping), draw the already-existing biters into your turrets, use poison capsules on worms and rockets on biter nests. There's a little finesse involved in running into range, firing off as many rockets at one single nest as you can, and then running to the safety of your lasers. Before you have any powered armor you have to try to take as few hits as possible (fish don't replenish themselves, I think, so you soon run out of quick healing), once you get Mark I power armor and a forcefield you can take a strategic two-second mauling from the biters as you fire off rockets.

I may be the only person in this topic that actually uses rockets. They're awesome, they're just awesome at one specific thing. They're not as versatile as Distractor Capsules or as all-powerful as Destroyer capsules, but they're much quicker to craft and don't use up Advanced Circuits.

Now I want to talk about something I've never seen brought up. I don't know if this is an "exploit" or just a scrub's crutch, but it's an important factor. The player's ability to craft from his own inventory is slow compared to what even an Assembler I can manage, but it takes no power and produces no pollution. I like to always be crafting something because of this. It's possible to get all the way up to Blue science without ever generating any pollution from production, not that I'd ever do it. I always need more accumulators, solar panels, rockets, or poison capsules, so I generally try to be crafting them when I'm seeking out new resources or building a new outpost. You can also transport more items on foot this way, because items are considered "consumed" once you set multiples of something to craft, they stop taking up space in your inventory. With a bit of patience, you can set several thousand solar panels or whatever to craft, and you're effectively carrying tens of thousands of steel and copper above your normal inventory limit.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone (who likes to read the code) happen to know exactly what the floor of output is for a depleted oil field? The game says something like 0.1 per second but I'm curious if that's actually it or if it's some smaller number that isn't represented in the game.

In other words, is it even worth keeping rigs on depleted oil fields? I'd venture to guess "yes" is the answer because some oil is better than no oil but I'm wondering if having 10 depleted rigs vs 1 depleted rig even makes a difference.

Yes, .1 is the "floor". They never deplete all the way, they just slow to a tenth of normal output. 10 depleted rigs are as good as 1 rig operating at 100%. If you're desperate for oil, you can even squeeze more out by using Speed modules in depleted rigs, which makes you get that .1 more often.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

When I'm cutting down square miles of fortress to feed my pollution-belching machine maw, I like to play the Uruk-Hai theme.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I try to always be crafting something. It may be gamey, but that crafting my guy does by hand, wiring circuitboards as I fight off a biter swarm or whatever, that's throughput that consumes no power, no fuel, and produces no pollution.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Yeah, let's hear your thoughts on trains. I've just upgraded to automated blue science and I'm about to take my tank for a test drive but the limit of my own thoughts on trains is, "lookit what you or Evilreaver posted and copy that". I'd like a little more of the theory, why loops are Hitler or what works and what doesn't.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Playing Devil's Advocate here but maybe English isn't the guy's first language and he doesn't realize how ridiculous and hyperbolic "if this continues in 20 years we will all be slaves" sounds in English? If not he needs to run for President against Trump, he'd fit right in over here.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Foehammer posted:

Here's a chain signaled T-junction for a right hand drive system:

I want to point out that I appreciate this kind of thing not for the code that lets me copy it exactly, but just because the up-close look at these small pieces helps me understand signaling better.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

chairface posted:

Heh, so those kinds of isolated little outposts, is that how most people play? I've been pushing out through the aliens to decent chokepoints in the terrain and setting up turret/wall barriers between lakes/seas etc that way to cordon off huge swathes of land at once. This could also be why I was having to fight large biters before I was even effectively mass-producing tank shells to fight them with. I probably should figure out trains and robots work at some point, hrm.

I've always played like you play. I'm definitely a "grab way more land than I need and build miles of walls around it" guy, I'm having to force myself to build smaller bases and learn to use trains instead of just plunking down a mile of conveyor belts.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Don't you combine it with heavy oil for flamethrower fuel?

(edit) They need to hurry up and add a few more cooking recipies. I start in the stone age and work my way up to rocket science and computer engineering, but apparently sticking a stick through a fish and holding it next to a fire is above the tech level Factorio is shooting for. For that matter I'd like a few pieces of "furniture" and things for my character to do when he's not maximizing throughput or expanding the transport network. Sometimes a fella just wants to sit down and relax, you know? What the hell do I have all these machines working for if I can't kick back with a cold one and watch my robots robot.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 13, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

Clicking around the tech tree, I see electric boilers (for the steam engine) there. Do I ever get other types of power besides steam generators?

It looks like you can refine oil into a variety of products, which then can get refined into even more products, but common to all of them is fuel. I guess that replaces coal late-game?

Eventually you can get solar power and accumulators. Solar panels just need steel and green circuits, but accumulators need batteries, so you have to set up petroleum refining first. Solar panels basically give you infinite electric energy for free, but you need accumulators to store the power.

Fuel is more energy-dense than coal, twice as powerful if I remember right. Once you have a petroleum refinery setup, you shouldn't burn coal, you should use it all to produce plastic and burn solid fuel in any place you were using coal before.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

When do we reckon that's going to be, anyway?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Literally LOL if your Factorio playlist doesn't include "05 The Uruk-Hai" directly following "Raymond Scott - Powerhouse.mp3"

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

I must be the only person that uses the tank as a battering ram.

I never even put ammo in it.

I build a small laser turret pill box and i do bog laps, running into hives and then sweeping back for the turrets to kill the bugs. A little repair and another bog lap.

What up battering ram tank buddy. :killdozer::respek::smuggo:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I don't know about "totally green" but I wouldn't mind the ability to create small islands of vegetation in my lakes of concrete and machinery. Just as long as the trees know their place.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

So when are we getting the spider mech? Full release?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The secret of not being griefed is not to have that which can be griefed. That's why I don't play online and only play MP games with people I know in real life. The knowledge that the guy who's factory you're trashing can and will punch you upside the fuckin' head IRL means he never has to actually do it.

(Literally every game forum I go to, there's cries of outrage when I point out I heard of the game on SomethingAwful. OH HE MUST BE HERE ONLY TO TROLL BAN HIM GUYS!

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

What I want to know is when the Spider Walker is coming out.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

Some examples in the wild:

Thanks for this, my understanding of circuitry ends where Rocky's Boots left off and I only ever did get to level 3 in Robot Odyssey, so this is very helpful to my fumbling grade-school attempts at using circuits to make my factory more efficient.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Baloogan posted:

real
thoughts
and
feelings
in
the
factorio
thread

Meaning pure uncut naked autism without the pretense of being a functional human being. At least that's what it means to me. gently caress yo feeling gently caress yo emotion I wanna know how to get max throughput on my train station.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I'd like them to implement, get this, electric fences. Common technology that even the most backwoods toothless hick is comfortable with. Just crank them up to Jurassic Park levels.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

So instead of double-clicking "Raymond Scott - Powerhouse.mp3" and then clicking "Play On Repeat" on my music player I can teach myself circuit logic and spend forty hours building a circuit network to make my factory play Powerhouse within the game. Sounds like a plan.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

I don't mind a delay but I will be legit furious if they say "yeah we couldn't fit the spidermech in this version but probably in the November update this time for sure guys".

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The first mention was in FFF#120.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

(drawn up in sandbox for demonstration purposes)

This right here, this is me. Minus the hazard concrete, I really only use that at train crossings and gates to natural (unsafe) ground.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

So I thought I'd play on Peaceful to learn the new tech tree, nukes, etc. 24 hours into the new save I was clearing out forest to make room for my electric smelter complex that would have theoretically provided four blue belts of each metal for a megabus that would make up the resource core of my new factory. Then I stood in my own poison gas a second too long, and gasp, managed to DIE ON PEACEFUL MODE.

Serves me right for playing on Peaceful. Goon Island, here I come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

So I've just set up my first petrochemical complex on Goon Island and building space is at a higher premium than coal at the moment. Is it a horrible mistake to switch my 80 steam engines over to solid fuel and save the coal at the expense of oil?