Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wow does this game scratch that autistic niche that Dwarf Fortress never did.

I like to strip-mine and exploit the poo poo out of everything I find like a Real Goddamn American.

Seriously, this is Capitalism the game. I put up a massive energy producing complex, have it be fed by a local coal mine so that it shits out pollution and energy indefinitely while I relentlessly strip-mine every resource I find. Then, when the native population gets all uppity I put up a wall of high-technology weaponry to kill them before they cause any damage to my mining operations.

I haven't dicked around with anything top-tier, like power armor, HE rockets, or anything like that but I don't need to do that bullshit since I can just surround a Biter nest with laser turrets and walls if I can't burn it down with my flamethrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My factories are always disgusting mishmashes of conveyor belts and inefficient, backed up conveyor belts but it works goddammit.

Now, what do robots do? conveyor belts and inserters have worked fine so far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always keep a couple factories pumping out grenades so I can wipe down my factory as needed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want to make robot armies that just walk in a direction, shoot at everything, and when they run out of ammo, they come back. That'd be sweet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Using inserters instead of conveyor belts is a fun way to make a gigantic rube goldberg machine! Try it oUUTTT!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I made the mistake of playing this game at about 9PM and glancing at the clock one time later when it was 3. Terrible idea.

As far as the automation of research vials go, I really don't know how to effectively make tier 3 vials. I end up just putting a fuckload of materials into a box and then making them crank out the circuits, engines, and whatever and then putting them in the boxes that feed my labs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's also upsetting that electric furnaces are Tier 3. They should definitely be Tier 2, because it makes your life a whole, whole lot easier.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

xzzy posted:

The downside to that approach is you won't get much biter action. Which I guess a lot of people like, but I enjoy them flinging their bodies against my wall of turrets regularly. So my artillery is usually in the far off distance clearing a path to a new resource patch.

Same, but it's annoying at times when they attack, like, your pipes or a power line or something. I like to just set up a humongous wall of turrets with an inserter inserting ammo fed on a conveyor belt that surrounds my entire base. Then I just have a couple assemblers constantly pumping ammunition onto that conveyor belt from a little secret iron mine. After a bit, the ammunition will collect on the conveyor belt and you have a self-sustaining wall.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is the ratio for miners to furnaces? An electric miner can support... 3 regular furnaces? 2 steel furnaces? gently caress man I don't know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Biter nests absorb pollution? Interesting. Very interesting.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like having coal mines be set up for self sufficiency with burner inserter/mines but burner mines don't gobble up much square footage of coal. It's not as permanent as a full grid of electric mines to suck up the entire coal patch, and mines are very efficient with electricity (esp. with efficiency modules) so you don't need many solar/batteries to have a zero-pollution coal mine outpost you never have to check on again. Plus the coal can fuel a train for more remote coal mines.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I quite like building the solar arrays and trying to be a green boi.

Also I keep on, after researching blues, get this feeling I want to start over again. It's like the early game is my poo poo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I only use a 2-lane main conveyor for iron plates and I keep seeing people with like 4 lanes or more and I wonder if I'm doing something bad and dumb.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Solumin posted:

I rather like these changes. I kind of liked the assembler item limit, but I can't honestly think of a good reason to keep it.

At least the first assembler should be replaced, but after that blue assemblers are your bread and butter for the bulk of the game and the better assemblers are kind of expensive so.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If my grandma played Factorio with me we would be a lot closer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I built a big ol' chemical disposal/storage site before I learned that I actually had a use for oil products.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Actually I think it just converts all of it to pollution.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jamsque posted:

they just take iron and honestly who doesn't have too much iron in the mid-game.

I am always iron-starved because I always grossly underestimate how much iron I'll need.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

*glances at the 5 full chests of solid fuel with the backed up conveyor belts feeding into them*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Take your gun off your weapon belt.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is there any way to get rid of pollution over water? I’m concerned the pollution from a copper mine is going to prompt a bunch of attacks from way, way far away because it seems to just be growing across the water with no mitigation.

Is there any way to scrub pollution generally? My map is luckily heavily forested which makes pollution mostly a non-issue but efficiency modules only go so far and base defense is tedious.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want snow, how'd you get snow!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What’s wrong with just an infinitely long series of two parallel belts (4 belt halves)that have a long inserter and a yellow inserter pulling off it?

And then the same thing on the other side if you want up to 8?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait why would you wire something directly to a pole?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was wondering if you could wire a building to another building to cut down on pole spam but that would be absurd.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have never run out of coal. I find that solar is better because of pollution and are aesthetically beautiful, but what do you do with an unused deposit, ignore it? can i delete it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like to use turrets to clear nests.

One turret whose range overlaps the next turret and so on as you get close then you set up a wall of turrets and put one or two next to the buildings/worms, such that those two are killing buildings while the other turrets kill any biters that attack your turrets.

Another way is just dumping grenades with a car but that seems too easy sometimes. Once you get the tank it’s cool just ramming everything though, and launching cannon shots from way far away.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ammo is made from just iron plate so it’s easy as poo poo to automate production early on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What’s the thing to do to make sure two trains whose rails intersect never hit each other?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always just built my polluters next to trees and put efficiency modules in as much things as I can.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always hoped we'll see a medieval/fantasy factorio. We're already evil scientific invaders as-is who brutally destroy the natives through industry, fire, and sci-fi poo poo like a robot spider, maybe we play an evil fantasy lich or whatever and use skeletons/goblins/whatever to power our poo poo instead of electricity: build a farm instead of a boiler to support a goblin den. poo poo, in factorio we're immortal and always respawn in the same spot-- sounds like a phylactery to me.

The biters are villages instead which grow over time as they purify (eat) your corruption. Instead of belts you use either expensive goblin-powered tracks or inexpensive but unwieldy waterways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Count Uvula posted:

Which was kinda predicated on notch having already cashed out and not making any money off the game's success after the Microsoft purchase :v:

Tho imo people should've just said Jeb was the creator of minecraft because afaik he's not a shithead and it's really funny if people assume you're talking about Jeb Bush

Jeb! made Minecraft? Weird

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Factorio should make Factorissimo2 native dangit. How did I play without it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nrook posted:

It’s no coincidence that by default, the gift of no biter expansion is given only to the highest class of Factorio players: those that love trains.

I love trains but I also love building satellite outposts solely dedicated to a single resource with trains delivering them to my main factory. It's not as big a deal as you'd think.

Usually I get a bunch of trains dedicated solely to dumping absurd amounts of iron ore into my factory. Sometimes I'll place a bonus refinery dedicated to a single resource (usually green chips) away from the main factory since I need so many of them.

What this means is I surround my outposts with a few laser turrets and the bugs don't seem to try and overwhelm them, since most pollution comes from my main base. Miners with efficiency modules produce very little pollution, enough that some trees will cover them up completely.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is annoying, sometimes I just plonk down 50 solar cells if it's far enough though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Unfortunately Biters are effectively an iron tax for most of the game, and usually you'll have to dedicate somewhere around 10-30% of your iron ores into military thangs. Later on you can just power turrets, but those come at a similar tax for, I think, red chips.

I find that gun turrets with AP ammo are sufficient even into the later parts of the game, where you can just get in your car and throw grenades out the window will you light motherfuckers up to clear nests.

Traditionally I like to play the game "clean" and lean away from using boilers and lean on efficiency modules to run the factory with minimal pollution. If there are trees nearby I usually get pollution contained for the entire game and never get attacked by biters.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm always hurting for oil though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How does it play with switch controls? It seems like controller would suck.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

KillHour posted:

A full belt is a happy belt.

This alone is probably the most helpful thing to read, ever. If you don't have a full belt, something is almost certainly wrong.