Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I ran across this thread randomly yesterday, checked out the demo and found it to be pretty fun. I'm thinking about buying the game, but I'm confused about pricing.

The base game is currently $16. You can upgrade to the second tier to get the base game + Scenarios DLC for $21.50.
According to their blog, the game on Steam will include the Scenarios DLC and will retail for $19.95.

It sounds like my best bet is to just wait for it to come out on Steam and get the whole package for $20. Am I understanding this correctly? Is it possible that buying just the base game now for $16 will net me the Scenario DLC when Steam keys are released?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is a fun game, and my friend and I am enjoying it immensely. If anyone has been lurking this thread and thinking about buying the game, I highly recommend it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
We ended up playing for 10 hours straight and I had dreams about belts afterward.

How do you manage resources in the mid to late game? Do you deposit them in a central depot somewhere and have logistic robots/smart inserters grab what's needed for production?
We currently have a sprawl of belts that carry resources where they're needed, but it's messy, hard to extend and incredibly unstable.

I'm trying not to look up too much about game strategies right now, since discovering new ways of doing things is really fun.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the advice! I started over with a new game to try it out. The bus is so much easier to handle! I went with the really simple Iron Plate--Copper Plate--Green Circuit bus, though I might expand it with red circuits once I get those going.

Now I'm trying to transport batteries and plastic from my petrochemical plant up to the main factory. I think trains + logistic robots would be the easiest way, since there's a lot of geography in the way...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Royal W posted:

If your oilfields aren't too far away, you can run them closer to your base before setting up your refineries. You can also put liquids on your bus by running underground pipes. Running lubricant, petroleum, and water will help keep your manufacturing all in the same area and can keep you from having a million sulfur and plastic bars in belt storage.

They're pretty far, and there's a large lakes in the way. (Main factory is on the north shore, refinery + chemical plants on the south shore, oil fields further south east of that.) I actually kind of like having the petrochemical stuff away from the main factory -- it feels neater for some reason. They have their own iron, copper and coal fields and electricity network.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was glancing through the Factorio mods the other day and there's one that adds a "no hand-crafting" challenge mode. It starts you off with a burner assembly machine: http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=17940

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

Honestly I think the burner stage sucks. It's a pain in the arse and is only relevant for like 15 minutes. The player may as well spawn with a boiler, pump and steam engine.

The burner stage is really good for getting a lot of mining set up quickly. If you're running coal for furnaces anyway, burner inserters can refuel themselves from that belt while refueling the furnaces. (Assuming you're running ore and coal on the same belt, of course.)

That said, I also don't like the burner stage and prefer to use nice, clean(er) electricity for everything as soon as possible.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Factorio is now available on Steam! :toot:

(and also the Humble store.)

EDIT: Also new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvXv1Z6EY8

2nd edit: Seems like the Steam version uses the same locations for saves and mods (AppData/Roaming by default). This makes switching to the steam version trivially easy.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ikanreed posted:

If you enable the dev console for the session you can assign other players to other teams, and then your turrets will indeed shoot them.

Not only that they get completely separate research

Yeah, the game actually supports a whole faction system, but I think the only way to access it is to dig through the console.

DaveKap posted:

If anything, the Steam release is a downgrade right now. Yeah, you gain cloud saves, but you lose the ability to run a headless client on the same windows machine that you use to play the game. Also, the Linux server distro is completely missing. These are both things that require DRM-free access from the website. Kinda a shame they didn't manage to get this out. That said, 698 positive reviews, 3 negative reviews, overwhelmingly positive. On a game where the pre-release forum had customers saying "Whatever happens, don't worry about bad reviews, Steam is a bad community!" and the devs saying "Yeah, we know the Steam review system is broken, we won't feel bad." Factorio players are out in hordes making sure this game gets reviewed well.

You can't run a separate instance of the game installed outside Steam?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

DaveKap posted:

If it's installed outside Steam, then it's not the Steam version. If you're asking if you can run it without Steam, as far as I can tell, you can't.

Oh, right, the versions have to be identical in order to get multiplayer to work. Sorry, I forgot about that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Does the Steam version require anything special for multiplayer? My friend and I couldn't connect to each other at all. We're both running 0.12.24 with no mods. Multiplayer worked fine on the non-Steam version before this, and we ended up reinstalling the non-Steam version and just playing through that. I have the default port forwarded and it looks like Steam automatically added a firewall rule, so those aren't the problem...

We made this fun monster of a science complex though:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The key to pipes is to go underground as much as possible. It helps a lot, especially since pipes have such a long underground range. And I see sulfuric acid being piped in, so I don't know what the problem is? That's all you really need for industrial applications, besides a squeeze of lubricant.

The other thing that helped for me was setting up a more "modular" approach. My original factories had a huge central bus that fed into all of the red science factories and green circuit factories, which fed the red circuit factories downstream, etc. etc. -- basically a large "waterfall" based around a copper/iron/green circuit central bus. I'd end up with things like solar panel factories leeching off this main bus, in addition to science factories and labs.
Turns out that design doesn't work great! It's extensible, but only so much, and you end having ridiculous iron and copper plate demand that can be hard to match.

Instead, my most recent game has focused around modular factories. The basic idea is to identify a need -- such as green science, for example -- and set up the mining, smelting and factories for it. So you get these small, tight-knit factories that do one thing well. Craft dependencies (e.g. iron gear wheels for basic transport belts) as close to where they will be used as possible. If you have a bunch of factories that have the same dependency, like transport belts and inserters needing iron gear wheels, give each one their own factory!

It's a partly organic process, too. The factory I linked earlier on this page was the result of an hour or more of fiddling, placing, removing, organizing and half-baked planning. (And it's obviously far from perfect -- I really need to fix the southern green circuit factories.) It replaced a smaller, more "organized" red/green science factory -- we just tore the whole thing down and started from a blank slate. Don't be afraid to do that, too.

Edit: Also learn all the little tricks with belts and inserters. Putting two resources on one belt can save you a lot of space. Again, take a look at the factory I posted. We do at least three weird things with belts and inserters in order to get two things on one belt, or to reuse a belt.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 29, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that players can be put on different teams using console commands.

What the game really needs is more automation when it comes to combat. My (well, somebody's) factory can churn out hundreds of tanks per minute, yet I've got to climb in one myself to go plink away at biters.

Here's a link to get you started on trying out the different teams: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13512&start=80#p92087

code:
game.create_force('force 1')
game.create_force('force 2')
game.get_player('friend 1').force = game.forces['force 1']
game.get_player('friend 2').force = game.forces['force 2']
Could be old information, unfortunately.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This should maybe go in the OP: http://guide.factorio.com/

GotLag posted:

I've successfully modded a non-return valve. It takes up one tile, doesn't actively pump or store more liquid than a regular pipe, but only allows flow in one direction. It can also output signals to the circuit network. Everything it does can already be done with the combination of a storage tank and pump, but it's smaller, cheaper, and doesn't require power.

Should I release it as a separate mod or roll it in to the rotatable pipes mod I posted earlier (and rename the mod something boring like Pipe Utilities or somesuch)?

Separate mod, IMO. They're related but do entirely different things. It'll be easier for users to manage two separate mods, and probably easier for you to development them separately too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Foehammer posted:

As an alternative to creating the T-800 hellscape, it would be cool to have pheromone research to let me take over hives and pit bugs against each other.

I don't know about taking over hives, but it's definitely possible to get biters on your team. They're just considered a separate force, so a mod could give you a weapon that converts them to your team. In fact, the wiki's modding tutorial walks you through this -- search for "FriendMaker".

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

Actually I developed it as part of rotatable pipes, by copying and pasting entity definitions, so it was a little tedious to separate it out.

But it's complete and uploaded:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20668

Awesome! How many mods for this game have you made at this point?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

What is a "bus" belt?

I've just started playing this morning and have a single lab automated on red packs and I already feel like I've done it completely wrong.

Also the hotbar is a hot mess, why can't I hit 6 through 0 to use those, I have to drag them to the left hotbar instead :mad:

"Bus" refers to a particular setup for using belts, not an actual type of belt. The bus itself is a bunch of belts carrying materials, and factories lined up along the edges of the bus pull off what they need.
The simplest belt is iron plates and copper plates, since those are required by pretty much every recipe. You can add more belts to your bus for intermediary things, like iron gear wheels or green circuits. It's pretty efficient!

Don't worry about doing it wrong -- it's really easy to tear down and start all over. Seriously, this is one of the few games where starting over doesn't feel like punishment.
until you get construction robots and are used to them doing all the work for you...

Check the Controls section in the options menu. (Check the tabs on top of the window) You use Shift + 1 through 5 to access the right side of the hot bar. I don't know why. You can set it to 6 - 10 if you want to.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Krysmphoenix posted:

It's basically when you set up a long line of Iron and Copper plates (and occasionally things like Green Circuits, Plastic, Steel, ect.) that smaller factories branch off of to make their products. People like it because all you have to do is just feed more input Iron/Copper to the bus belts. (The picture I'm going to link feeds off a double Iron bus, a Copper bus, a Coal bus, and a water/oil "bus")

Also for people complaining about Blue Science, I present this

Also please note the ratios for science production. Due to build times, you're going to want 5 Red : 6 Green : 12 Blue : 1 Purple. It aggravates me to no end seeing other ratios, because it's just wasteful at some point. You can usually cram some extra science labs on the chain there, but you'll want to maintain the ratio. This factory uses Advanced Oil Processing to turn Heavy Oil into Light Oil, and Light Oil into Petroleum, so that's the first thing you should research with your blues. (Just set up oil storage for Light and Heavy oil until you have that).

In general, just pay attention to your ratios for max efficiency :science:

EDIT: The factory fits comfortably into a 3x2 "block" area on the grid you see when you pause.

Goddamn. That is a beautiful factory.

Thanks for the info about ratios. I try not to worry too much about those (i.e. don't go looking up ratios online for every little thing) but it's a necessary part of building an efficient factory. I've only every seen 5 red : 6 green : 6 blue before though.
It looks like from yours that 2 inserter factories are needed for green and blue science... guess I'll have to fix that in mine. Usually I just take whatever inserters aren't being used by my green factories and turn them into smart inserters.

FISHMANPET posted:

You need a speed module in your purple factory. Red takes 5 seconds for 1 pack, so 5 factories gets you 1 per second (modified by your factory speed). Green takes 6, so 6 factories gets you 1 per second. Blue takes 12 seconds, so 12 factories gets you 1 per second. Purples takes 12 seconds to make 10 packs, which means you're going to be making 10/12~.83 packs per second. Throwing in a Speed 1 module (+25% speed) boosts it so those 10 packs get made in 9.6 seconds, or .96 second per pack, which is close enough to 1/second.

A lot of people recommend productivity modules, too, to get the most from each artifact. How many speed and productivity modules would you need to reach 1/second?

Hagop posted:

Someone already answered this, but here is a picture.

That's a nice bus. Got any pictures of the whole factory?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've had moderate success with bringing a split back onto the bus downstream. It adds a lot of extra belting though.

Boogalo posted:

THE BUS is fun but few things satisfy like a proper belt hell.

Bonus: fish-go-round

http://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

:eyepop:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, it won't ruin anything. I only play on peaceful mode. I'll turn it off eventually but for now peaceful mode is the best way to learn the game and get some factories under your belt.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And since you usually don't need 12 green science factories, you can feed the excess inserters to your fast inserter factory for blue science.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

Mixed inputs are still a bad idea, because at some point you're going to need green arms to sort them back out before use, and green arm bandwidth is expensive compared to belt bandwidth. Or else you're dumping the poo poo in a provider chest and making your drones sort it, and drone bandwidth is REALLY expensive.

Another possible bad outcome is: "Why has my copper plate output stopped? My furnaces are all running... oh look, there's a flood of iron ore and no new copper ore is getting to the furnaces."

One task per building, people. It works better.

Except when you make a toy single-smelter steel plant that uses smart inserters to make a single electric furnace create steel and iron.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Speed modules in the pumpjacks and productivity modules in the refineries. Since oil wells never run dry, they just reach 0.1/sec, a speed module will increase how much oil the pumpjack outputs. The productivity modules in the refinery ensure that you squeeze everything you can out of each drop of crude.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's difficult to say, because the amount of science output you need really varies on what you're researching. Late-game research usually requires 1 *of each science pack* consumed per 30 - 60 seconds. All of the science factory designs I see aim for ~1 of each science per second, so you could conceivably support 30-60 labs. I usually only have ~12 to 20 labs though, because I have yet to get blue science running optimally.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I use a similar setup for early-game coal mining: two burner miners outputting into each other. When you need coal, just ctrl+click them to get all of their coal. You can keep adding miners, too. 4 miners makes a circle, then keep expanding -- though I think you'll have everything set up by then and won't need the coal mining circlejerk.

I've seen a lot of people in this thread complain about oil production. Is it really that bad? I've never had trouble with it myself, though I'll admit my setups are not necessarily optimal or totally automated. (As in, I occasionally may have to clear out excess light oil/lubricant/etc.)

If you're really worried about accumulating too much light oil or whatever, just hook it up to a steam engine.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ModeSix posted:

This is faulty logic.

If you buy the game now, you might have figured out how to get to the space platform by the time they add it.

This is no simple game, get ready for many many hours of just learning how to set things up efficiently and manage your production lines.

Yup. Go read Ciaphas's posts in this thread for an idea of how playing this game goes for new players. I've automated blue science (which is basically the first step into the late game) all of twice across all of my saves, and both times I feel like I haven't entirely done it right. This game is deep.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Two main functions of construction bots:

With repair packs, they will repair walls and turrets (and other equipment!) damaged by biters, and automatically replace anything destroyed.
With blueprints, they can be used to construct your factory without you having to be carrying the parts around yourself.

Third important function is deconstruction. Select an area and watch the construction robots tear down anything in it! Fantastic for clearing forests (they'll give you the wood) and removing factories you don't want/need anymore.

The idea use for logistics is to move many small things a short distance. So using them to feed copper plate into your green circuit factory is a bad idea, but feeding gears and pipes into your engine factory would work well.
Another good use is keeping yourself supplied with ammo. Set up an assembler that outputs to one of the logistics chests, then set one of your personal logistics slots to receive ammo. Bots will start delivering it to you! Then when you come back from slaughtering biters, they'll top off your ammo reserves again.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Vertical trains are in fact shorter than horizontal trains. Video games!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Those imgur albums are nice, but some of the splitter information is out of date, I believe. Splitters now work based on lanes, not items. (Someone on the official forums posted a setup that sorts a belt using only splitters, which prompted the devs to change the behavior.) The info regarding belts, like how to balance a one sided belt or switch a belt to be one sided, is still useful though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

I think I could only like it, if it only worked on trains/vehicles.

I kind of like it for mass loading and unloading of trains, but I agree with the other posters that it's too specialized. I'm not sure it really fits with the rest of the game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Eh, nope. Rockets just kinda piss them off a bit, they don't do anywhere near enough damage to kill them before you get stomped. Likewise the tank cannon is kinda poo. 5 laser turrets in a line will straight out destroy anything.

Tank cannons are pretty good for taking out the nests themselves though.

But if you're using a tank you might as well just run over the biters and the nests. It's faster, you don't anger the bugs, and your fleet of personal construction robots can just repair your tank for you.

I wonder if the space stuff will include orbital weapon platforms... run over to a nest, drop a beacon, and stand back as heavenly fire purges the whole area. It could be fun!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

What if you don't fire the guns and just run them down? The tank does a lot of ram damage.

Also I think high nest density just makes the worms stronger.

This is what I meant. The tank does a ton of damage if you hit something at moderate speed -- you don't even need full speed to take down a spawner -- and it won't anger the nearby bugs.

Shooting a nest will definitely anger all the nearby bugs, but ramming them won't. It's a bit silly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The rockets don't have better range than the worms? Cuz my plan was to build a row of turrets, then pluck away from the worms at a safe distance.

Well, it's weird. Rockets have 1000 range, which is sufficiently far. But rocket launchers only have 22 range. No one has definite numbers for the spitters' range, but I've seen at least 17 for small spitters and much greater than that for anything larger.

Rockets are not nearly as cool as they could be.

For comparison, the Combat Shotgun has 20 range and the SMG has 15. The rocket launcher is underwhelming.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Stick Insect posted:

I've updated the OP now that the game is on Steam.

Lemme know if there is anything obvious missing from the OP, or blatantly wrong.

I need to take some new screenshots, that much is obvious. They still show the old astronaut suit and other placeholder graphics.

This should go in the "Things to read and reference materials" section: http://guide.factorio.com/

In the "Tips and Tricks" section, the bit about belt corners being slow is no longer true as far as I know.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I like the art!

I'd keep it as copper plate for the recipe. It makes more sense that you'd smelt the copper first, in my opinion -- get rid of impurities, etc. Plus, no other directly require copper ore, and having to divert some to your factories would be annoying.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been inspired by all the large-belt factories in this thread recently to start one of my own. It's forced me out of some of my bad habits, like being too conservative and only building 10 - 15 furnaces for iron and copper each and then wondering why I couldn't sustain my factories. I've hit that post-blue-science, pre-blue-circuits stage.

Besides science factories, what do you usually automate? I feel like I'm not taking full advantage of my resources. Currently I have:

• Red, Green and Blue science with their dependencies (plastic, batteries, steel, etc.)
  • Engines, Electric Engines, Robots
  • Accumulators and Solar panels
  • The usual petrochemical stuff, i.e. solid fuel and lubricant (and everything consumed by blue science)
  • Yellow and Red belts, iron gear wheels, pipes and underground pipes

I'm going to add blue circuit, all 3 modules, blue belts, explosives and ammunition. I'm in peaceful mode, otherwise I would have already automated walls, turrets and ammo. What else am I missing? (Besides the end-game rocket stuff.)

I'm tempted to turn off peaceful mode later, which you can do with the following commands:
code:
/c game.peaceful_mode = false
/c game.forces['enemy'].kill_all_units()
(Putting "true" instead of "false" on the first line will let you enable peaceful mode in any save, by the way.)

Marzzle posted:

After buying it in 2014, the current version seems like the biters are much less interested in attacking my world killing industry. Is there some setting I am missing? It's really easy to build whatever when you aren't constrained by defending it and I am working through all the green tier techs without even building a wall or gun.

Did you accidentally activate peaceful mode or something? I don't have much experience with biters, so that's the only thing I can think of.

GotLag posted:

I felt like that was rather the point. Instead of having to just use a shitload of the same copper plates you use everywhere else, make a different use of a small portion of that resource. I'm looking at ways of making things interesting rather than just expensive or hard to find.

And it's not without precedent: concrete uses iron ore rather than iron.

That's a good point, I forgot about concrete. Still, copper plate sounds like a better idea to me. :shrug:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

My main issue with the graphics isn't the pixellated nature of them, it's how they feel like they're cropped together from Google Image results. Some items have 3D models, but belts have a flat 2D style. Same thing with different items. e.g. Inserters have the 3D models as their icon, but pipes have a 2D icon of them. Then there's Electricity Inserter, whose looks like absolutely nothing. I want them to pick an art and a style and stick with it. The grass texture has obvious seams, etc.

I didn't realize that shooting wood crates would cause the items to not spill on the ground, like what happens if you just attempt to remove them with a pick. That seems like such an unobvious way of doing it.

Most of the game is really solid, but the art is the most obvious indicator that this is still an early access game. Like the electric miner icon, which is... a stick with lines coming out of it? I've never noticed the 2D/3D clash that you're talking about though.

Destroying chests and losing the contents is more of a break from realism, not a feature they expect you to use. The same thing happens with pipes: any liquids in a pipe that's destroyed will also be destroyed. But having to deal with stuff like that (especially liquids) when you're working on a build would be too annoying.

Maybe my brain is rotten from playing this game too much, but a lot of your criticisms are really minor things that don't have a large impact on how enjoyable the game is. If you're not enjoying it then... just stop playing?

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks. The trick so far seems to be finding mods that are updated or actually work in the first place :v:, factoriomods.com doesn't seem to be up to date in any respect

Anyone recommend any QoL stuff?

The landfill mod is pretty nice if you want to get rid of water. Gives you another use for stone, too. I usually enable it for long enough to get some water out of the way, then turn it back off so I don't go crazy with the terraforming. I think it interferes with placing concrete, for some reason.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Like so, using 5 splitters:
code:
Belts:
===
A splitter: (covering 2 belts vertically vertically)
D
D

===D=D===
===DDD===
===DDD===
===D=D===
Edit: Here's a post from a few pages ago with pictures!

Moddington posted:

What you're working with here is what I'd term a "naive bus". A bus system that's designed without any specific knowledge of what it's going to feed. Which makes them incredibly flexible, and a great system to center your entire base around, all the way up to launching a rocket.

With a naive bus, there's a couple ways you can use to keep the belts balanced. The first is to take products from the belts in a balanced way, using a splitter setup like one of the following:

This inherently keeps the belts balanced, and if you make sure to take from both lanes equally, the lanes will also stay balanced. The other way is to use a much smaller splitter setup (eg. a single splitter on the leftmost belt) to take a belt of products, and every so often throw onto the bus a balancer like the following:

The one on the left is very compact, but has a bias to it (items coming in on the left or right half of the bus will more likely than not leave on the same half), while the one on the right is count-perfect, but bulky.

What I've done lately is use the first setup, leaving lots of space between the different products on the bus for splitter shenanigans, and a single count-perfect balancer at the very start of the bus.

But a third method is to make the bus a little less naive, which is something I think I'll do for my gear and circuit builds next time I start a new base. What I mean is you'd take a number of belts from the bus, and redirect them fully into the gear or circuit factory. So your 4 belts of iron plates would be cut down to 2, but with the gear factory operating you would've just had 2 belts worth spread over 4 belts, so you're kind of better off anyways. This method becomes even more desirable when you start working with ratios, because you can measure input and output in terms of how many fully loaded belts and completely eliminate bottlenecks with little effort.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 7, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If there's fuel in front of them, they'll grab it and resupply themselves automatically. They can take from belts, chests, boilers and (I think) furnaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

pisshead posted:

There's a belt full of coal in front of them and they don't grab it.

Post a pic, I guess? It should work fine.

Slickdrac posted:

They will keep themselves supplied with 1 unit and 1 unit only as a buffer. If they are running out of fuel and not grabbing anything, then that's either a very unique bug you have there, or a mod is causing issue.

I had a fun situation where several burner inserters ran out of power with fuel in their hands. I had to manually re-fuel them, it was weird.

Edit: ^^ Or that. I use them to power my steam power plants' boilers, though it doesn't really matter since ~40 regular inserters aren't using that much power relative to late-game smelting and crafting.