Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

If Wube's design philosophy agreed at all with Earandel's approach, Factorio wouldn't be moddable in the first place.

They've been making this game for a decade, and have developed excellent design sense for making the game's challenges both fun and purposeful, always with an open mind about letting players customise it to their heart's content and going well out of their way to support that. One newbie that has trouble killing his darlings isn't going to change all that.

My experience tells me a lot of development teams are very vulnerable to the "talented rear end in a top hat" gimmick as long as the rear end in a top hat in question has enough confidence, but I hope to be proven wrong on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013
I wanna thank everyone talking about the Mining Depot in this thread because it's going to massively improve my new games, holy poo poo.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey friend, if I may suggest something: have you checked out the Disco Science mod?
Also Honk! You'll thank us later.

Y'all are terrible and I love you for it

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

robots:
- making robots useful and effective means unlocking chests waaay high up in the tech tree, so ask about these when you get there.

Everything in that post is holding up, I just wanna nitpick real quick and say that construction robots with a personal roboport allow you to do copy/paste to expand your production lines in a really easy way.

There's even a mod that lets you start the game with a few construction bots and the necessary items to have them work and I don't think I could start a new game without it.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I have a looot of faith in them, so we'll see how things go.

Given how they handled the whole "maybe don't put a known bigot on a pedestal" situation, I can't really say the same.