Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Solumin posted:

One solution to brownouts is to put all the machinery for running the steam engines on a separate electrical network. This works great if you are using coal, since a couple miners and some inserters can be run off a steam engine or two. In one game I even did it solid fuel, thanks to a couple nearby oil wells.

You could probably also do something tricky with accumulators to shut down most of the network in the case of an emergency. Either way, you have to be aware of how much fuel is going to your steam engines.

I just connect my steam engine network/coal supply to everything else with a single line of electric poles. If a brownout happens, pick up one pole and the engines will put all available power to getting coal working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Nice. Bonus points for an equivalent cheat sheet for Bob's?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Goddamn Bob's is engrossing. Just spent half an hour mathing out production ratios in Notepad++ so I could make the perfect production chain in a Factorissimo building. Turns out I'm still hamstrung by limited resource inputs and insufficiently fast belts. :bang:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

Are you admitting that you play Factorio yet still do the math manually? Have you learned nothing from the game?

I have a strict policy of not opening up Excel unless I'm being paid to do so.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

Friendly reminder that you can use the deconstruction planner on trees (also large rocks) and have construction bots harvest them for you!

Doesn't help in the very early game, but it's great once you've advanced to the phase of needing to clear out an entire forest in seconds for another wing of expansion, and don't feel like using gas grenades or fire.

This is secretly the number one reason to rush construction bots. Then turn every vibrant forest into a blasted wasteland populated only by train tracks and solar farms.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Hey Bob's users, what's the deal with mass producing sulfuric acid? The bottleneck is sulfur dioxide. I can make 5x sulfur dioxide from 5x sulfur and oxygen, and 5x sulfur from 5x sulfur dioxide and hydrogen. So essentially it turns oxygen and hydrogen into nothing? What's even the point of that? Am I stuck just making sulfur dioxide as an oil processing byproduct?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Jabor posted:

Many things in bob's mods have more than one recipe to create them.

For example, you can still make sulfuric acid from sulfur the exact same way as in vanilla.

That's not an option with what I'm assuming is the latest version of Bob's(installed through in-game mod browser).

M_Gargantua posted:

You're looking at the reversible chemical reactions. The oxygen binds with the Sulfer to make SO2, or You can take SO2 and burn it in H2 to separate out S and H2O. Evaporating hot water vapor isn't modeled. Its not that the Oxygen and Hydrogen aren't going anywhere.

I accept that it may be a realistic reaction, but it's pretty useless in game terms.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I finally got logistic/construction bot production going(skipping to tier 2 as someone here recommended). Try to guess the point at which I gave up on optimal space usage.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Did biters get made more dangerous by patches over the last year or so? I haven't played since before artillery was added, and on my latest game I had to load an autosave from 10 minutes previous after a massive horde of biters showed up and wrecked my entire base as my first contact. First time I've ever had to do that. Just a hunch but pollution feels like it spreads out a lot further than it used to.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Biters have repeatedly had massive changes and at various points become both easier and more difficult to deal with.

The first attack (and sometimes 2nd) has been absolutely brutal for a while now. Basically, if biter nests are in your pollution cloud, they will spawn loads of biters and be very aggressive. If you play the game "wrong", avoid scaling up and automate as little as possible early on, it's actually far easier, because you personally don't produce pollution by doing things, unlike assemblers and inserters and everything else, and your cloud will generally dissipate. Trees really suck down pollution too, so it's also generally much easier to start in a heavily wooded area, even though the trees become completely obnoxious when you start to actually build out.

Ultimately, the name of the game is keeping your cloud clear of nests, but right now there are some real tight points just before each of turrets, grenades, and the car.

Yeah I started in a desert so nothing but tree stumps for wood. I'm planning an expedition to go wipe out the three or so nests I can see with radar but what with relearning the game I only just started bullet/grenade/turret automatic production, and still need to get engines going for a car.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Welp, started up a new game with K2, didn't realize the crashed ship parts had any function besides mining for resources so spent several hours building poo poo by hand. Lesson learned I guess. Also trying out AAI programmable vehicles and I have no idea how to get this poo poo to work.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

So what's the recommended strat for beacons? I'm trying to get a save to the point where I'll be repeatedly launching rockets, rather than quitting after the first one. Trying out beacons for the first time and the way it throws off production ratios is causing problems. I assume there's an upper limit to the usefulness of speed beacons of how fast inserters can actually work?

My attempt at a blueprint to resolve my green chip shortfall:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

What's with mods extending the length of the worst phase of the game, when you have to use burner tech? Just started on space exploration and bypassing that stuff now takes hundreds of red science for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I would frankly be less annoyed if the burner phase was extended to take like 10 hours and multiple tiers of science. When it still only matters for the first half of red science, all that infrastructure is just going to be torn down as soon as I can mass produce inserters and miners. It doesn't take all that long, but it still feels like the first few hours are wasted.