Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So what are the must-have mods these days for someone who's finally up to speed on playing the base game? Is there a central md HQ somewhere, or anything analogous to CKAN for KSP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Solumin posted:

The game has a mod manager built-in now, and your can access it outside the game at mods.factorio.com.

As for most have mods... A blueprint manager is nice. Most of GotLag's mods are great additions. But I can't think of anything that's truly "must have." RSO is a fun challenge though.

Perfect, thanks!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GotLag posted:

Reactors update!
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Reactors

25 MW power pack, description of pump settings here.

Yes, I know I need to do a proper write-up at some point.

Oh, nice! I just got my breeder setup running nicely last night, can't wait to try out the new toys!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

vOv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKnnk31yKuw

This feels like it's some sort of grave sin against the Factorio gods but at the same time it's amazing.

drat, that's just hypnotic

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Jabor posted:

the only "worm menace" mod I want is Dune

That'd be a good one -- if you fail to launch enough spice rockets, the Emperor drops a legion of Sardaukar on you

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

totalnewbie posted:

I'm a cheater and find this whole mucking about with oil thing to be stupid because of how oil is laid out and how quickly it goes down to 0 and how much of a PITA it is to transport oil a long distance etc. so I just turn each oil spot up to ridiculous yields and have like, 4 derricks fueling my entire empire.

It removed so much stress.

Adding the Tank Wagon mod did the same for me. Shipping oil in barrels was too much to bother with, pumping it into and out of tank cars I can set it and forget it.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Baloogan posted:

no ive never made any changes to RSO config, I don't know how

do you know how to find the IDs for construction bots, power armor etc? thats the part that gets me, I just don't know what they are called internally

There's a mod called Advanced Start or something like that -- it gives you power armor, personal roboports, and a bunch of construction bots to start with

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Finally knocked off Lazy Bastard. God help me, it's time for Bob's / Angel's

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Well a joule is a Watt-second, right? So it's 3.6 megajoules to a kilowatt hour, or 3.6 gigajoules to a megawatt-hour

Ed: ah, screw it. Per Google, you need 25 fully charged accumulators per MW of demand to last the night. Or 21 accumulators for each 25 solar panels

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Feb 21, 2017

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Factorio: the Fun is Automated

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Then we automate this thread with a Markov chain generator, and can all atrophy away to nothing.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Collateral Damage posted:

The factory must expand to meet the needs of the expanding factory.

New thread title right there

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GenericOverusedName posted:

What am I going to do with all these bullets!?

That's one of those questions that answers itself, isn't it?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dr. Stab posted:

I would like lazy bastard a lot more if it didn't require you to spend so much longer in the early game. Having one miner and one assembly machine that you switch between tasks is just a more painful version of handcrafting. It would be a lot more fun if there was a 0 technology assembly machine that could craft assembly machines and miner drills, rather than having to wait for assembly machine 2s before you can start the game for real.

I liked doing Lazy Bastard once, but I wouldn't try it again. It was fun playing through the very, very slow takeoff from hand-mining through full automation, but after doing that I feel no need to do it again. I wound up using an Accelerated Start mod in .14, and will probably use something like it again before too long.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Impermanent posted:

is there a mod that adds a chance for products to come out malformed? It'd be interesting to automate QA.

That'd be a good one. Or make R&D probabilistic - all you know about a tech is the packs required and the level of difficulty, time to complete is random. It'd drive me mad! :v:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm really confused about something.
Let me get this straight: The only way to make power from oil is to make it into solid fuel first?

And it's mostly used for recipes, such as the next science pack?

Sure. Just like the "diesel locomotive" will run on wood, coal or just about anything except oil.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ShadowHawk posted:

They renamed it "locomotive" in the new version.

They would, those bastards. :argh:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GotLag posted:

Sneak peek:

Sensor rails, with four "slots" for controllers/interfaces (recoloured constant combinators) - to couple/uncouple, read wagon contents, read train contents, other functions as yet unknown

Wow -- automated switching yards are the #1 thing Factorio is missing right now

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

XkyRauh posted:

And then you start a new game and see the little Burner Drill and just die a little inside. :(

But then you add a fast start mod and everything's wonderful again :toot:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Ghost of Starman posted:

I have to wonder if I tweaked one of the variables the wrong way - I would expect that turning the "Evolution -> Time Factor" slider down would slow the rate at which enemies grow and unlock more advanced units, but maybe I hosed up. I think I also tweaked the "Minimum" and "Maximum cooldown" under "Enemy Expansion" - but again, aiming to slow my enemy growth rate. :iiam:

Anyways, trip report: enemy base was revealed to have multiple Big Worms, densely packed; I'm pretty sure cracking it would have been impossible without Laser Turrets (and poison capsules would've required getting set up for Blue Science). So I snuck a bunch of sulfuric acid out from under their noses, wrangled my lovely little supply chains to eke out just enough milscience packs, and came back to manifest my destiny at the end of a coruscating curtain of coherent death.

Laser turret creep is very satisfying :science:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Oh hell yes, I picked the right day to work from home!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Naan Bread posted:

How many heat exchangers/pipes/turbines/pumps do I need for say a 20 reactor nuclear power setup? Or better yet does anyone have a blueprint for something like that.

This is what I've been going by; not sure if it's out of date or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/67xgge/nuclear_ratios/

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

With regards to logistics bots nerfs, I feel like it's important that any nerf so levied would never apply to construction bots. Construction bots are just too drat useful and don't detract from a different "style" of gameplay.

The construction bot achievement is called "you're doing it right", so you'd think that they'd want to encourage that style.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

sharkbomb posted:

I started upgrading artillery range last night, and... hooooooo boy.

I'm playing a rail world and the base artillery range wasn't really useful for how spread out my base was, so I never used it. With the crazy range upgrade it became super useful and I've attached artillery stations throughout my rail grid. It's just a protected artillery turret serviced by a train from where I make artillery shells. When ammunition gets low at the station (from shelling biters) a train is dispatched to reload the station.

biters get rekt

I love researching artillery range on a non-railworld map. The research complete notice starts flashing, all my turrets fire at once, and 30-40 seconds later I have a 360 degree zerg rush coming in

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Even at $40, it's fantastic value for the money. I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Renegret posted:

Just let excess materials back up on the belt.

Full belts are a thing of beauty

This was the hardest concept for me to get my head around at first, but once it finally clicked, the whole game made sense at last.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

drunken officeparty posted:

I bought this months ago and just yesterday got around to playing. I think I might be retarded because my poo poo is so inefficient it's not even funny. I spent like 3 hours loving around on level 2 of the campaign before realizing all the broken train tracks and stuff that were already there might have been useful and I shouldn't have just demolished everything.

The best Factorio advice I ever got was to ditch the campaign and jump straight in to the free form game.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Best news ever.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mayveena posted:

By the way, they just added train blueprints to their next build :). https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-263

That looks great! I really can't wait for the next version now.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Was it here that someone who was a powerplant engineer in real life posted their elaborate load-shedding and multiple redundancy backup generator system? I'll never find it again, but that was one of the best Factorio posts there will ever be

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
That's the one, M_Gargantua -- thanks for quoting it :perfect:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

You're not kidding. That's a great change, even without the other stuff

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm loving the coal-fired plant on the right side using steam turbines

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GotLag posted:

The solution is always MORE TRAINS :colbert:

Factorio: The solution is always MORE

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

M_Gargantua posted:

I've recently been having a lot of fun with the Texugo TA miners mod. Much quicker to set up one of them at an outpost rather than dealing with a mass of miners and belts. I wouldn't say Warehousing is a required mod but highly recommended to use in conjunction. The biggest one sucks up a 50x50 box of ore and can pump out four continuous blue belts of ore.

They're fun when you're using RSO and you get far enough away from the start to start getting patches in the hundreds of million

Thanks for mentioning the TA miner mod, that's exactly what I needed to get over the tedium of setting up yet another mining outpost.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Solumin posted:

That's awesome, great job! Would it possible to get video of how it works?

+1 on that.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Evilreaver posted:

I keep forgetting that centrifuges stack to 50 and use this misunderstanding to suddenly have too much uranium processing

ITYM you don’t have enough atomic bomb factories

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Monowhatever posted:

The proper way to removes trees is sprinting around a forest chucking poison capsules everywhere.

Excuse me, the proper way is with a flamethrower. :colbert:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mithaldu posted:

I just upgraded to experimental 0.17, and there was an initial rush of various biter attacks, but since then for an hour or two there's been absolutely nothing. What's up with that?

You might have a map with biter expansion turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I’m finding the huge biter nests tedious to clean out, even with artillery. I see a couple of nuclear artillery mods available, have any of you tried them?