Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

xarph posted:

here is an incredibly stupid way to balance a coal belt when you haven't researched anything yet.

Amazing, ten out of ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neruz posted:

Come on it only takes like twenty minutes to get electric drills available in the time it takes you to set up that you could already be half-way to electric drills :colbert:

Placing that wouldn't take much time though?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Torpor posted:

Unsorting the tangled mess of your own base is pretty much the entire game.

This game is an excellent taster for the horrifying realities of actual industrial automation

"Why is that milk separator in the middle of a walkway in a warehouse full of storage tanks, when all of the other seperators are in that warehouse over there?"

Maintenance guy shrugs. "Dunno eh. last owners of this factory installed it. "

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I had to watch some massive dork's youtube video to work out how to get the trains to run between stations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Overwined posted:

This game has a goal? I thought you were supposed to cram the world with so much belt hell that your CPU burns up and dies with the heat of a Red Dwarf.

You need to do this to make the rocket defence anyway, as well as killing about a billion alien bases.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Truga posted:

Yeah, I was thinking just about the numbers. The wood gas generator actually sounds pretty plausible, though I imagine it'd be super large for the loads required in, say, a drill.

This pretty much lines up with my observation and expectations. So TL;DR is: boilers might have an actual 50% stated efficiency, but a burner inserter will still use much more coal for the same amount of "work" unless it idles a lot. Which makes sense, getting work out of heat is a hugely inefficient, meanwhile, electric devices these days easily have 95% or even more efficiency. There are some brushless motors at 98% even. Likewise, having a large power station that's specialized for converting heat into usable power will always be more efficient than firing things individually.

Lines up with reality pretty good. Well except the "heat extractor" oddity, but then again, this is early alpha. Maybe they'll eventually make it so 100 degrees is the base line for getting actual power out of steam, and hopefully also allow for closed loops.

Until your lubricant fails at ~450 degrees and your turbines melt :v:

This would be worth adding even if only to make steam leaks a thing.

Bugs charge in, chew on pipes, get blasted by pressurised superheated steam.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Poison caps are one of my favorite things in this game. There's something about having your factory mass produce chemical weapons that just makes me happy. That you can use them as a defoliant in addition to pesticide is just a huge bonus.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Torpor posted:

You aren't playing factorio unless you build with no plan and your expansions are constantly screwed up due to earlier layout mistakes.

This is true for real factories too :negative: