Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
This game owns bones, tried the demo then got the full thing yesterday and been having fun making factories so convoluted and ugly that I dare not link them for fear of what it'll do to people.

It'd probably help if I had a building strategy, rather than just appending whatever I feel I need onto what's currently going until there's a mess of inserters, tunnel, conveyer belt loops and crates everywhere. It's fun to watch it when it all works though, even if it doesn't work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So it's probably a total mess but I feel proud of this anyway!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sage Grimm posted:

That's one of the cleaner builds I've seen for that campaign mission. Good job.

I think I hosed it up and didn't leave myself enough iron to finish the mission :( I guess I can always just roll over to a patch of iron and mine out what I need there and then do some manual transports back to my production lines in the car.

Having a blast with it though and I haven't even gotten into complicated stuff yet!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ineptitude posted:

Pretty clean!

That 4-length L-shaped belt in the middle of the picture could be removed though, just have the inserter grab the gears directly from the assembler and input into the assembler to the right (Unless the gears are being used elsewhere as well?)

Nope, good spot! I'll have to remove that when I turn it back on, right now I got way too many conveyer pieces so I've turned it off for a bit.

This mission got fun as soon as I started to run out of iron trying to make the huge amount of Steel and AP Ammo it needs and after fussing about for ages wondering what I'd do I just went "gently caress it" and rolled a massive conveyer belt all the way down to the south of the map to mine out a massive amount of iron, with a bit of skirmishing with bugs while I was down there and some hive kills. Then Copper started to run out because AP Ammo takes a ton of copper so I'm working on grenading out and killing hives protected by turrets to the west now to get at the copper ore there.

There's something hugely satisfying about seeing an empty conveyer belt fill up with ore you've transported along a massive conveyer belt and this mess of fabricators and inserters come to life and begin spewing out waves of ammunition. Or finding a minor inconvenience like occasionally having to go put coil in the boilers on your far off mining complex and instead of putting up with it you can spend the resources to run a coal feed to it out of pure laziness.

I am ruining this land and loving it.

Tonight I might finally get to play with the Trains. I hear they're deadly.

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is there anyway to automate tree cutting? I'd love to have a way to unleash hordes of buzzsaw wielding tree cutters on them but I can't find a way to do it if there is.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ok that was fun. Demo is pretty straightforward, except for how to make the most out of steam engines. Also I realized that I can't walk through my stuff. :downs:

It seems like the game really lends itself to interesting puzzles, if a skim of the thread is anything to go by.

It does! The complexity of your factories just increase as you go on and are given more tools to increase efficiency, which you need to use because everything you're making to increase your efficiency requires more work and automation than the last lot of improvements. Then you start to need resources from further away from your base and ways to get them home at speed, all while angry aliens try to eat your stuff because your new efficient set ups are polluting the air.

It's all nicely intertwined in encouraging you to slowly expand, then deal with the problems of your expansion.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Evilreaver posted:

Edit: there is literally no advantage to using trains, and I can keep coming up with more advantages to the pipe. Fewer moving parts, less power (particularly running the train), fewer of all parts (just iron compared to iron/steel/stone/assemblers/inserters). But now I'm getting :spergin: so I'm done, factorio however you like.

You can cross train tracks (If you dare) but pipes get in the friggin way.

That's it though, if you don't want to go past the pipe then pipe seems best.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Having just completed the train scenario I realize I am an idiot. I was meant to fix the train DURING the scenario, not wait for it to tell me to go fix it and just using conveyer belts to nearby deposits until I complete the mission without ever actually learning how to train.

Please all gather round and look at the idiot king.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My current game was going fine until all of a sudden the Inserters forgot how to pick things up and just wobble about uselessly occasionally manage to grab something. It's a bit broke.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

senae posted:

Do you have yellow or red inserters trying to pick things up off express belts? because the poor babby inserters can't keep up with express belts, get some fast inserters in there.

I've just realized it's because I'm really low on power. My bad. MORE STEAM POWER!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm rather keen on some Multiplayer of this. I am bad at it as a warning though and never got that far.

Anyone up for some Multiplayer this weekend? Tonight or any day up till Sunday is good for me.

Edit: And how would you explain what this game is to a friend that doesn't make it sound like you've gone a bit crazy. "It's a game about making things to make things so you can make things"

Fans fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 4, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Quite enjoying Big Pharma though it does chug a bit when your factory gets big.

I made a pill with a terrible side effect and it's my best seller.

Nightmare inducing Insomnia cures. Aw yeah.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Neruz posted:

Ahahahaha, you invented a pill that sends people into a nightmare-fueled horror-coma and marketed it as a cure for insomnia :v:

Not as good as my Female Contraceptive that causes flatulence. Sexy~

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dongattack posted:

Can you do more Theme Hospitalesque humor stuff like that? Factorio scratches my micro/macromanagement itch, but if i can make stupid bloated head syndrome jokes and the like, i'm in.

The game isn't deliberately funny, but the Ingredients cures and side effects are randomized meaning you can end up with some pretty horrifying combinations that people will still buy if you're the only cure going.

Boogalo posted:

Devs are targeting end of june for 0.12 release. Also, new gun turrets!

That is one pretty gun turret.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 5, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah there's a random element to your starting minerals, with random side effects and treatments needed to turn it into a workable cure. So there's a lot of working out layouts to save space and also keep up with the market.

The way it works is each ingredient has a cure and a few side effects and a 1-20 Concentration scale. Cures and Side effects are activated along that scale, so Cold Relief could be activated on 3-7 and Nauseau on 4-8. You have machines that can add and take away from the Concentration in a few different ways and the aim is to try get the best match for the pill with the least amount of machines. So starting off you want to try get 3, so you don't get the side effect. Later on you can research and may find out you'd get more going to 7 and turning it into a Cream to lessen the side effect.

Right now I have a Headache pill that both cures and causes headaches.

Fans fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gibbo posted:

I had a huge selling diabetes cream. What the hell do you do, rub it over your pancreas?

You can actually mix Cures together to make really obscure medicines. Who wants Wart Removing Anti-Pregenancy Sachets?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
In Factorio/data/core/graphics/ there's an image named pollution-visualization.png, change that to a color you prefer and it'll change your pollution overlay.

You'll need to do it every time the game updates though.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dunno-Lars posted:

What is new in 0.12 that makes it worth waiting for?

Stolen from the forums, here's some (But not all) of what is coming.

- Multiplayer enhancements (lag hiding, better pvp/forces support)
- First part of the endgame content. (Build rocket and send it to space).
- Chain signals (trains).
- Combinator and more circuit logic.
- Personal roboport
- Optimization of the game simulation speed (mainly transport belt simulation)
- New graphics of combat robots
- Attempt of steam integration
- Storage tank has a small window showing the liquid inside.
- New turret graphics.
- New tree graphics and behavior (Trees emit leafs and regenerate health slowly).
- Building roads/paths (Concrete and stone bricks)
- Logistic trash fields to the character gui.
- Factorio can run as a dedicated server without graphics
- Reduced number of rendered Roboport connections.
- Eventually new shoot graphics for the new turrets?
- Lab research is now continuous. Science packs have progress bars of usage.
- Inserters can now extract from Roboports and Beacons.
- Path finder will terminate when search is too long.

I know it's a small dumb thing, but Roads for me are pretty neat. I like playing Transport Tycoon in this game. Hoping we get automated trucks, ships and cargo planes at some point.

If you haven't played TTD then you may not see why Chain Signals are a big deal. Here's why

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81

Fixing those train traffic jams!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Toast Museum posted:

I know a lot of the other changes are bigger, but a personal roboport sounds amazing.

It makes some sexy gifs.

http://giant.gfycat.com/GraveRewardingEchidna.gif

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Factorio: Throughput is my fetish.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

SuicideSnowman posted:

That said, my initial thoughts after seeing videos was fairly accurate. There isn't a lot of optimization of your factories. You have to decide how to place your buildings but that's about as far as it goes. There aren't really any ways to increase the output of your pills beyond using two pill makers to match the output of the ingredients.

That's true for the start, but pretty soon to make real money and increase your output you feed pills into a mixer, shake in more than one cure and then sell the new multi-cure through one output slot.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Speaking of Mods, is there any mods Goons want to recommend?

Vanilla is great and all, but I'm not opposed to some Quality of Life mods or "Cool thing" mods to mess about with while we wait for the next patch to drop. Any mods that significantly change the game that aren't terrible?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well since no one seems keen to rave about mods I found one that you may all want.

Tree Collision Box
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12365

Why? It lets you run through forests without bumping into a tree every five cocking seconds.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Apoplexy posted:

Oh, hey, I just realized I know nothing about 0.12. Tell me what's going to be changed and added in this version, please, goonkind?

Well aside from the always welcome FPS boost there's a bunch of things.

The Rocket Defence is getting replaced with building a Space Ship.
The Personal Roboport someone linked above.
Chain Signals. Which are train signals that prevent a train entering a block that doesn't have an exit free. Good for making Trains take "Free" tracks rather than all queuing up on one of them. This post explains why you'd use them better. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-81
Combinators. Which can count things moving along a belt or in a chest and do computer logic. So you could have a belt only in use when you have less than 60 Steel or whatever.
New combat robot graphics.

And most important of all.

:circlefap:The Corners of belts will be the same speed as straight sections:circlefap:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Space Station stuff is coming later, we just get to build the rocket for now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
They should be in. You're thinking of the better train controls, like train connection to circuit network, wait for full/empty etc

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Slickdrac posted:

Did they do a blag on that? First I've heard of that.

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88

Though they're not doing all of that to start with. No sensors, switches or machines related to the circuit networks. Honestly they'll be pretty useless to start with beyond some basic counting.

Eventually though. Scrolling Dickbutts for all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Slickdrac posted:

-Turrets can now be modded to use shotgun (and other not guided) ammo :getin:

Rocket Turrets then?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Does anyone else use Circuit networks?

I've only just gotten into them and am finding it really useful for managing materials I don't need a whole lot of. I never really need more than 100 Grenades sitting about and a system that'll automatically keep it at that number is great.

Not managed to use the new Combinators for anything yet, but I'm sure I'll think of a reason to eventually.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
But biters attack Conveyers, so if just one gets through you got to go fix the loving thing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah paving takes an absolute shitload of concrete. At least it gives you something to do with all those stone deposits.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I use burner inserters to power the Boilers for Steam Engines and that's pretty much it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't forget you can upgrade weapons in the tech tree. An upgraded shotgun is pretty good at wrecking small waves of biters and it's not too much research to do the basics.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It says automate everything, so I'm waiting for when I can equip my own robot army to go off and hunt down biter swarms, or form some kind of massive artillery cannon that'll blow them up from afar.

Having to go do it myself feel dirty. That's what I build machines for.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ToxicFrog posted:

So I finally cleared New Hope 3 and started New Hope 4

Petroleum :stare:

Welcome to pipe hell. As a tip, use copious amount of underground pipes if you want to still be able to move about.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
If at any point you find yourself crafting something in your own hands like a peasant you should set up a factory to do it for you. This is a good way to stop yourself from just not doing poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm not saying never do it, but if you handcraft more than around 10 turrets you may not be getting the point of the game.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I like the Campaign too, I'm just sad it doesn't go on to show you how to use Logistic Robots and Tanks.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'll own up and admit I did the mission which teaches you how to use trains without using trains because I thought I had to fill my car with the things to go fix the train, rather than end the mission.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a limit to how big bases will get, but it's a bit fuzzy as to what exactly that is. I've found around 7 spawners is where it stops and you very rarely get more than that.

Biters expand by sending out a group to find a bit of land not too near your stuff or other Biters and then the group all dies and a new base is formed.

Worms tend to spawn in bases, but sometimes can spawn outside of them. There doesn't really seem to be any limit to how many there can be and they seem to ignore the usual evolution rules, because I've got a game with a Spitter base I can't get rid of really near the base because it started with three Medium Worms in it so I've just got to live with it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tenebrais posted:

For that matter, does anyone know how biters choose what to attack? They'll merrily run past logistics infrastructure outside the factory (pylons, tracks, belts) while equally happily trashing the same things within it. I figured they would head toward the greatest concentration of pollution and start destroying once something gets in their way or attacks them, but then they'll go for relatively inert radars over more polluting items.

Biters will charge towards a source of pollution and when roughly in the area will indiscriminately break everything nearby.

If on the way to the source of pollution they encounter a turret, logistics robot or the player they will stop and attack that instead.

When a biter encounters a wall most will try to go around it, but a few will attack it instead. This is to stop you making easy killboxes.