Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mr. Wynand posted:

Parallel series of 1/14/10 is optimal I believe.

Like:

code:
[pump x 1]====[burner x 14]===[steam engine x 10]

iirc it is 1/13/10, so you would have to look that up or try it out.
Because...well, a boiler is a boiler and wasted tons of coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

One thing I never tried - what happens when you put a bunch of oil through a lot of boilers and get the temperature up to ridicolous levels?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

You get pretty hot oil

So tanks exploding from too much pressure or something?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

No, the oil is just hot. Boilers won't heat fluids past 100 C, and there's no model of pressure or combustion or anything. The oil just gets hot, and stays hot, until you pump it into a steam engine.

Pumping oil into a steam engine sounds suboptimal.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When will we get smart splitters?
When?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Instead of a slider, a number input would be nice.
But then again, it doesn't really matter toooo much.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Now that logistics robots don't actually die I will simply fill the air with them and say "gently caress belts. Robots are much cooler."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of Logistics Bots! I've got a line of them pumped out and inserted into a roboport, I don't know how many I actually have though.

Also, what lines do you typically use logibots on? I've been using them on circuits, they're put into everything, but putting circuits on a transportation belt is too slow for my liking. And since they're in everything, it forces me central line into an unholy mess.

Generally what you want to use are

1. Storage chest around your ports. Those act as little chest your robots put things into if they deconstruct poo poo, or take poo poo out of an active provider.

2. Get construction robots and use the blueprints. It is literally that amazing. Make a few blueprints for easily extending your smelting poo poo, or a dual factory layout with requester and provider chest.

3. Always have goods on you.

4. Now that they can't die...spam them. And replace inefficent belts, so you can make space for more important things. Early mass products should stay on belts. Everything else deserves a fly.

5. Smart inserters into passive chest at your main resource belts, so you always have something stored and ready to ship around.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Does anyone know when they will put the full version on the website? They said sunday but today is sunday. Timezones I guess.

I can download the experimental patch ingame, but it throws me an error "Error <file> Unexpected file contents". Running on linux.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

Edit: oh, and apparently my factory finished making 32 x 48 logi robutts.

If you deploy them all them once I am sure something lovely will happen.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Is that the right size for a bottom of the page forum banner?

Exactly the same size.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'll get the ad up tomorrow or the day after.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

President Ark posted:

I was skimming the text and missed it explicitly stating it. :negative:

At least we got a funny gif out of my incompetence.

e: In other news, I'm nearing the end of my first playthrough and already thinking about what I'd do differently. This game I bussed pretty much every material; next time I think I'll only bus iron/copper/steel plates plus maybe gears and copper wires. Then have a wider bus with each of the primary materials (iron/copper/steel) on both sides of a belt or even two belts and have some gaps between sections to make it easier to split things off.

That sounds good in theory, but in praxis you need massive amounts of spaces to logistic all the stuff everywhere you need it.

So yeah. Build your factories wider spaces. I mean, as soon as you get energy distribution you can start plonking down Energy - Factory - Factory - Energy instead of Energy - Factory - Energy.

e:
The new version runs horrible on my linux. The last worked like a charme...but now I run it at 10 fps. :negative:

Why..

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Honestly...just more. More all the time. If your iron production doesn't stop because the belts are full you are doing it wrong. Same with metal, gears, etc.

Like...I never had a problem with massive backstacks of materials all over my belts. It just shows me that I produce enough to saturate all my demands.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

I am trying to recreate this, but I suck at spriteing. Currently the mod uses a random bee sprite I found on google.
Is anybody interested in helping out? We could also change the bot's sound, if we find a suitable soundfile.

It would be awesome if you could get your hands on the SS13 bumblebee sprite becuase that is just the darndest little thing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

I never really played on goonstation, if you can post a picture maybe I can edit it to fit.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Those need a bit more work then I can provide:

:allears: Amazing

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

khy posted:

Please explain oil to me.

Specifically, it lists its yield in % instead of an amount. Does it technically never run out, but the input gets slower and slower? Or will the yield eventually hit 0% and it's gone?

It will go down to 0.1 litre per second iirc. I think 100% yield is 1 litre per second? But I am not entirely sure about that.

What I do know is the more the merrier.

e: Always use buffer tanks. In every step of your production. The crude oil gets into a process plants. This plant has three exists - petrol, light and heavy oil. Once again, put some buffer. When one production stops because it cannot put the oil anywhere, the whole plant will stop.

Now you have to get the right kind of oil to the right chemical plant. Most important is petrol for sulfur and then sulfric acid. You will need this chain for rubber and batteries.

Also, there are two kinds of modes for your processing plant. The normal mode and the advanced one. Both have to be researched, the second gives you more petrol and less of heavy/light oil, but needs water as well. Not much trouble but really worth it.

Later on you can use chemical plants to split light/heavy oil into petrolium with the use of water. Also quite important since you always need more rubber for your circuits.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 16, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sam. posted:

Is there a machine that automatically chops trees?

With the deconstruct blueprint you can mark an area of trees that is within the green radius of a roboport. They will be deconstructed by construction robot.

Or grenades. Grenades work too.

^^^ Beaten

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Oil's biggest problem is that it's complexity isn't granular. There's essentially two stages, regular refining, and advanced, which adds water, and a few end products. However, unlike every other product in the game, which builds off a prior product or three, oil needs the majority of its infrastructure stood up all at once to function, since you can't, for example, only make heavy oil and turn it into lubricant. The light oil and petroleum will fill the output of the refinery, and the plant will shut down. Standing up the entire oil chain at the same time is a bit of a stumbling point when you first get there.

Solve this problem via buffer zones consiting of lots and lots of tanks. Using the output directly from the refinery to actually make products is - as you said, problematic. Because if one things starts to hold because it stacks back, everything dies.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Nuclear Power is appearently on the roadmap after multiplayer and 0.12

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Colonel J posted:

Poison capsules are, hands down, the best forest-clearer.

Not as fancy as HE rockets tho'.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Not sure what you guys are doing, but I am literally overflooded by light oil, cannot split it enough because I am lazy to cramp another tank for my petrolium somwhere, all my production is running like a charm with 1k+ advances circuits, 500 of the blue ones and so much loving blue belt.

The only thing that I was missing is coal. So I just started with solid fuel and...eh? It really depends on your location. My next coal was hidding behind 5+ spawner bases.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

From my experience so far. 6 rows of 1/14/10 require 4 chemical plants, turning light oil into fuel.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I expand in three steps:

Building my lines in such a fashion ( up down - left right ) that I can add more factories.

After I researched energy logistics I use the medium poles and build two factories side by side instead of one with a small pole on each side. Thus lowering the amount of space needed

And then I just use assemblers 3 for crucial construction and lower the amount of factories needed, giving me more space to expand again.

Somewhere in the middle I start to use logistic robots and then all your problems are gone.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When you find a new patch - or multiple beside each other - get the maximium amount of miners on it, then the maximium amount of electric furnances so that it doesn't back up, then use a train to ship it around.

Decentralize your production.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

yo mama is so fat, three fast belts are not fast enough to keep up with her food intake

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I made this mod way earlier:

I shoulda made that engine a bot frame, but I literally cranked the mod out from "how babby form mod" to "tested as completed and working" in the time it took Rocket Defense to tick down 10 minutes.

Would you be so nice and give me the mod? I feel that aliens and artifacts are more of a chore than any real danger after a point

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

senae posted:

Radar was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I wanted to make sure everyone knows that on top of the active detection of far off map chunks, any radar dishes will keep a radius of the map around them updated constantly. Without either your presence or a radar scan (shows up on the map as the bright squares) you don't get to see new biter nests. If a nest or some worms pops up out near the far side of your base you won't see anything but all of the attack notifications.

Early game that doesn't matter, since your base is small enough that your natural radar will cover it, but lategame it can be helpful for tracking down the source of trouble-spots.

Unrelated, but is there a way to find out how many construction bots I've got? I'd guess I'm in the 400-500 range at this point. Is my only option "ask them to deconstuct a chest of junk and hold right click next to the chest"?

Mouseover any network chest iirc.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Neruz posted:

Maybe it is a sign that botes are on the way :v:

Or planes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Breetai posted:

They no longer die in the current version: I believe in 10.1 they changed it to a far slower movement speed instead.

20% movementspeed to be exact. That was made so the robots don't crash in front of the station waiting.

Build more roboports. One port can only hold so many robots anyway.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, does anyone have experience with the treefarm mod? I am looking for a quick tutorial on that poo poo, but I really don't want to watch a video.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, if anyone is interested, Arumba has quite the long and decent LP of Factorio, with lots of designs and little tricks you can copy. Also he has a decent voice, so eh.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD7yMEuxKeFAinXB-Zkgdnf

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kenlon posted:

Watching this LP is almost physically painful - he goes out of his way to do things in a less efficient manner time after time. It's got some good material, but it you get :spergin: about doing things right, beware.

Yeah, but I have not found much else, and he has at least a basic concept of the game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Shintaro posted:

I think that's a tank, to save extra hot water? Either that or it's a doodle-typo. Personally I suspect that the fluid mechanics of this game would make that not work so well (if it's a tank), but it could be a cheap bit of insurance against biters ravaging your boiler setup.

Fun note though, inserters will take fuel out of boilers. So you can do things like this:

:aaaaa:

How effective is that in comparison to a normal layout, in terms of speed? That would save literally so much space.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIs-yx01_k

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How stable is the MP right now? I would totally be up for someone playing a round with me now.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

dipwood posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontorio

One thing we need to decide in MP though is which version we'll run. Is 11.3 good for multiplayer? I know that 11.1 was fine for it. Is it possible to just have a separate install of Factorio just for MP use?

Totally joined, I will be up for some games later.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ikanreed posted:

I see you like hooking up pipe after pipe after pipe instead of just letting logistic bots do all the work of building straight tracks.

Not sure why...

1. You cannot do that the same way with pipes?

and how...

2. You got logistics in the middle of nowhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I usually use logistics bots for that.

Yes but logistics bots need an active robotport or did I miss something?