Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Elswyyr posted:

I got to automated blue science, and my lust for conveyors cannot be sated. What's a good modpack that adds even more complexity to manage? I want all the things, all of them.

Bob's mod is good, and I like to add Treefarm to that since of the added reliance on wood.

more turrets
more circuits
more modules
more factories
more ores
metal alloys
more inserters
more belts
more toolbelt slots
more alien artifacts
more research packs and 2 more research branches (one relies on module circuits, the other on the new alien science packs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

Once you have advanced oil processing, build 2 small pumps, some storage tanks and a couple of bits of red/green wire. Put a pump on the output of your heavy and light storage tanks, click the wire on the tank then on the pump. Click the pump and set the wire condition to heavy or light oil depending on which tank you're doing and > 500 (or some other arbitrary number). Then attach all your cracking factories to the pump output and nowhere else. Walk away because you now never need to come back. Heavy will still go to make lubricant but it it builds up over the number you set it gets cracked. Light gets cracked over the number you set. If you have sufficient cracking capacity (1 heavy 6 light I think it was for 5 refineries) the only time it will back up is when the LPG tanks are full.

you can directly monitor liquids using the circuit network? :psyboom:

I've been filling barrels with liquid , then emptying them back into storage - If the full barrels back up, then storage is full so stop producing the thing.

I generally don't use red/green wire unless I want less than a full stack of something produced (modules, turrets, power suit bits). Are there any other non-smart chest features of the wires?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I started a new map with SCT, RSO, Fat Controller, Greenhouse, the full bobs package (with config set to normal steel cost and cobalt mined from galena deposits), and 5dim decorations to top it off. Biter bases freq was set to low. bobs is the only mod i've used previously.

Things I did in this game that I almost never did in previous games:
- build a car
- set a production line for ammo to get delivered to the perimeter defense
- load ammo on to a train to send to a mining outpost

Things I did that i never did before:
- dedicated radar outposts
- concrete. I started just by laying a concrete path by my perimeter wall. now it's CONCRETE EVERYWHERE
- monitoring lights and pump-tank combos. this second thing is a game changer.
- rudimentary bussing. large factories with lots of empty space and organised lines of belts and assemblers bore me, but I have found having dedicated space for the movement of stuff is usefull.

Things I am not doing in this game that I used to do.
- Crossing the streams. (having a yellow underground belt occupy the same space as a red one going the other way)
- relying on the robots to ferry stuff around my factory. The robots supply my needs, the belts supply my factory. the odd requester chest is so stuff I pick up goes back to where it is used. all the provider chests do is store stuff until I request them with my personal slots.

other thoughts:
- my next game i'll put biters back to normal, and set the resource field richness lower - make me even more reliant on expanding my train network
- 11 tier 4 labs and 11 advanced boblabs suck 44MW - except when they have sucked the blue science buffer dry. so many brownouts until I upgraded my steam stack. :sigh:
- my steam stack is solid fed until that runs dry for whatever reason, then switches to coal. when the solid fuel comes back, the coal supply stops. This is automated.
- I have a blueprint for my monitoring lights that I plop down, set the constants to number of chests and size of item stack, wire the chests to the lights and walk away.
- I have reached the limit for supplying basic components to my basic circuit makers:

The two marked inserters hardly move even though the rest are flat out, the fourth electronic assembler off-screen to the north just doesn't get enough to operate at peak. This is what is limiting my blue science. I'm going to have to redesign this section, the current one has been outgrown. It seems 2k/m of these things is just not enough, and I've tweaked every other thing.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Redesign:

moved the fuel belt south, was smart-splitting the solid to fuel the copper train, turned into a normal splitter and let it carry on to where the old belt went. currently 2.3k/m but can go to 2.8k/m

jabor: you're right about directly feeding them, i might do that if (when) this one starts lacking, and make some more down south to feed the rest of the circuit/module complex.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I just spent half an hour chasing down a stray yellow underground belt.

it's to the right of the lamp in my second screenshot

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the decorations are some statues and doodads - letters that light up at night - and colored concrete

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

That's pretty much our current MP game apart from some config differences. SCT is a hell of a monster to feed though it's the actual real time required that gets irritating to me. Those basic components and things like transistors that get used 5 at a time are a bitch to supply. It's easier to build special factories for each user than try to make one big super producer. Drone and Dred are trying to bus our game but the thing is over a screen wide now, there's too much stuff in bobs to have a full bus of everything. How many days played to get the research all done or did you skip the robot follower X crud.

i'm nowhere near finishing the research tree. Just finished getting bobscience packs going, and next I want to start my armor modules production going. But I need to lay out a new coal mine (just put the rail down to the deposit), make a rail line for zinc, find out where the gently caress tungsten is...

:factorio:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

superoxen posted:

Can somebody help me figure something out with combinators and circuit networks? Sorry if this has been covered already, I didn't want to go through the whole thread.

I want to set up certain production lines to only build exactly a certain number of things. I'm using the logistic and power packages from bob's mods, and the higher tier versions of stuff require an input of the lower tier things to build. Say I want to build a mk4 robot - I need to build 1 each of mk1, mk2, and mk3 robots, which means I also need to build 1 each of the different frames.

I've set up my robotics facility with a crude circuit network, such that I can order 500 top-tier logistics or construction robots with a constant signal, and the factory will build until I have 500 of each of the prerequisite robots and frames in the network, so I can just walk away and ignore it. This also means I always have a bunch of the low tier garbage sitting around in provider chests and it is driving me nuts.

Is there a way I can set up some combinators/circuit wizardry so I can input a signal at 500, and it will order each of the intermediate factories to build only 500 intermediate things, rather than building until there are 500 in the network, so I don't have a bunch of wasted stuff sitting around?

set a smart inserter to pull from a low-tier assembler only when the system has less than the required number of high-tier items. there'll be some excess depending on ratios, but as soon as the 500th thing is in the logistic network, each link in the chain stops.

edit: i use a constant for a similar thing for my modules. set a signal (A=50) and the smart will pull if (thing)<A. hook each smart to the signal, but change the thing on each and I can walk away and come back when I need a fresh batch of modules. a second B=100 signal on the same wire I use for the modules I use a lot off.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 6, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

have a blinking lights setup - here it turns on when petro is below a certain point

the left group of three is a simple loop counter of period=60. the single decider next to the oil tank is what provides the signal to the counter, and the two deciders are set to output [GREEN=1] or [RED=1] if their condition (count<30 or count>29) is met. half the light are tied to GREEN, the other half to RED.

at the moment the blinking stops when petro goes above the threshold, but they don't go out. the next step is to fix that - i think a arth hooked between the final deciders and the lights should do.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the new arth is set to [EACH]*(tank decider), output [EACH]

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

how does a timer made from a constant and a decider work?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

my timer was prone to breaking when the decider input changed state (:shrug:) so I went for a simpler method:

the arth is [decider+chest=green] and the lights alternate [green=1] and [green=2]

edit: zedprime: just tried that timer, was easy to understand once I saw it work.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 6, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

I use the "input side has the two big lugs" method

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

The Bobs mods author replied to a guy yesterday who (like many others) criticized the god modules. In the version for 0.13 he's turning them off by default and making the remaining mods honour the 'productivity only with intermediates' thing. This is a good thing and he's hinted at other changes to come.
0.13 is really shaping up, roll on June.

the config module for bobs mod: (unzip the mod to the mod folder and edit the config.lua file in notepad, i've mostly edited out the code lines)

quote:

-- If set to true, the idle power drain will be removed from all Inserters.
-- If set to true, the idle power drain will be removed from all Laser Turrets.
-- If set to true, Ore acts like Oil in that it doesn't disapar, but mining speed slows as it depleats.
-- Sets the new player inventory size

-- Enemies mod
-- if set to true, Enemies will drop small versions of Alien Artifacts.
-- if set to true, New types of Alien Artifacts will drop.

-- Logistics mod
-- If set to true, long versions of Burner, Fast, Smart and Express inserters are added.
-- If set to true, Near (near side of standard belt) and Far (near side of long handed belt) inserters are added. Requires LongInserters to be true
-- If set to true, short in long out, and long in short out combinations of Near, Standard, Far and Long inserters are added. Requires LongInserters and NearInserters to be true.
-- If set to true, the Tier 5 "Extremely Fast Transport Belt" Tier of Belt, Splitter and Underground belt will be enabled, and able to be researched.

-- Mining mod

-- If set to true, new better mining axes are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable mining drills are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable large area mining drills are available.
-- If set to true, new upgradable pumpjacks are available.

-- Modules mod

-- If enabled, then Merged modules and research are enabled. (This turns on all 3 types)
-- if enabled, then the specific merged module with be enabled. (turn them on individually)
-- If enabled, then God modules and research are enabled.
-- If enabled, Productivity modules suffer speed penalty. Raw productivity modules also cost Speed circuits.
(some stat tweaks)
-- If enabled, modules that effect productivity can only be used on Registered intermediates.
-- Warning: the game will delete any modules that do not match the limits

-- Ores mod

-- if set to true, Stone will apear in larger, richer vains.
-- if set to true, Gem ore fields will give the Unsorted Gems resource. If false will give each ore type.

-- These set the probability of extra items being given from certain resources.
-- if set to true, extra items are given from certain resources.
bobmods.config.ores.LeadGivesNickel = true
bobmods.config.ores.LeadNickelRatio = 0.75

-- if Nickel ore is disabled, but Lead gives Nickel is enabled, Galena will also give Cobalt ore.
bobmods.config.ores.NickelGivesCobalt = true
bobmods.config.ores.NickelCobaltRatio = 0.4

-- Diamonds can be obtained from mining Coal, Ruby, Saphire and Topaz from Bauxite, and Amethyst and Emerald from Quartz
-- These set the probability of each type of gem being given.

-- can turn on only. if they're turned on by another mod, they'll stay on.
-- if set to true, the listed ore fields can spawn on maps. new maps will have autoplace control options.
(ore field toggles for the ores)

-- Metals Chemicals and Intermediates mod
-- Reduce cost of Steel
-- Change recipe and research costs for the battery.

-- Warfare mod
-- if enabled you can research tank cannon improvements.

and what do people expect when something is called a "god module"? :downs:

i prefer to unzip the mods I've made tweaks to, makes it stand out from the bunch of zip files.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

i usually put productivity modules in purple science, the circuits, or oil-to-gas cracking

strangely, in my current RSO/SCE/bobs game where the lab complex is a 11 or 22 mouth hungry beast that yearns for more EVERYTHING - not one prod module used.

recently: hooked up cracking and solid production up so one is prioritized over the other depending on petro reserves. (a constant, two deciders, and two sets of two mults)

currently: getting a medium power pole chain set up, because bobs tier 4 pole works as a replacement for a standard substation, so I can stamp out a good mining blueprint and still be able to walk perpendicular to the belts to ease dumping modules in every miner.

to-do - get bobs alien science set up, get tungsten processing set up, get gem mining/processing set set up, same for silver, go nuke bases to feed the alien science beast (will use prodmods here for sure). might even explore tanks and rocketry...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

is there a way to force it to be always night?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

ugh - i'm going to change the salt water electrolysis recipe in bobs from 2 Salt + 2 Water = 1 Hydrogen, 1 Chlorine, 1 Sodium Hydroxide (1 Time Unit) to 20 + 20 = 10, 10, 1 (10 TUs)

about the only thing I've found for all this excess is to simulate bits in my initial attempts to get logic gates made out of smart chests and inserters.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

cool, Thanks Loren, thinking my next game will be set on the Pitch Black planet. :getin:

hae some module upgrading tips -

shift-click a filled module slot to empty it into inventory. ctrl-click to empty all slots with that module type
have a stack of modules in hand and ctrl-click the object to fill all empty slots with that module

optimum sequence for upgrading a module in a batch of assemblers/miners/furnaces/ect...

(say from speed 2 to speed 3)

- empty the old module slot in each object (open window, shift or ctrl click module), do this for every object
- then grab the new modules and ctrl-click each object in turn

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 8, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Node posted:

Sure, a mod collection sounds like a nice idea. As for what I want, I'd like to use trains more, so RSO seems like a solid pick. I really don't care for combat and found the aliens just annoying, so I don't want anything that makes them more deadly. I like playing with transport belts, but pipes not so much. So if there is something that adds products or resources that don't need pipes (or much of them) that would be nice. The base oil production system in base Factorio is fine for me. If there are any other mods that flesh out the gameplay more, I'd check them out.

And a mod that removes the censor bars from the spitter ending.

my bobs/greenhouse/RSO setup is good if you like tinkering with a factory that has a lot of systems that work together.

bobs lets you stick any fluid into a barrel, and the extra gases and fluids bob adds can also be bottled/barreled up.

I needed nitrogen for blue science components under bobs+SCE, but that produces oxygen as well - so I stuck it in a tank and vented the excess until I found a use for it. When I found that use (making nickel plates), instead of piping it through my circuit snarl, I hitchhiked gas bottles on belts that were going in that direction anyway. (full bottles joined gold ore to the gold smelters, then skipped to the stone chunks heading to the concrete mixers. the empties joined the lead plates going back to blue science). Bobs also has pipes made from other materials that reach underground further than the iron pipes, so things are less cluttered that way.

leave the enemies mod and warfare mod in as well because the Tank Mk2 has a Gatling gun. with stock red ammo mags and good research into bullet damage it's made hive clearing fun.

plus :killdozer: is a perfectly acceptable way to enter and exit your base when you have construction bots :black101:

the sniper turrets are also good for base defense, stick them on the outer wall and give them standard ammo and it stops them cold.

I clump them Sniper-Standard-Sniper-Standard-Sniper, and if a point is under heavy attack just add extra snipers.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Garfu posted:

Anyone have an idea why my bots aren't using my charging pads from Bob's mod? I've tried a ubnch of different things, like using Bob's robo ports only, not using roboports at all and only using those storage chests, several other stuff. They are connected to the network via the yellow lines and within the range yada yada.

Here's an offcenter gif:

robots only charge at a pad if they need charging while on-route to Do Things. If they have no pending work they will head to a roboport, charge to full, then enter the port. Thus the robojam when a job is finished,.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

I think I'd still like a loader for trains, but this looks pretty cool. It'd definitely simplify the whole requester -> inserter -> belt operation that currently is a bit annoying to set up.

why aren't you requester->inserter->[object that requires stuff]? :psyduck: robots seem to fill any requesters evenly as long as enough stuff exists, and if you shift-right click an object, then shift-left click a requester, the requester gets set to request enough mats to make 2 of what ever the object is making.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Solumin posted:

Double post because that previous post was really long:

I really wish there was a Circuit Lever in the game. Just a simple machine that, when you activate it, outputs certain signals for a certain number of cycles, both of which are configurable. Basically a toggleable constant combinator.
Any modders in the thread want to take a stab at it?

you can do that without modding. but a mod object would make it simpler.

have an AND gate made with smart chests and inserters:

The cyan-handled smarts are hooked up to a clock signal just so key things happen at defined moments. every smart inserter has the same setting: [everything]>0

edit: ugh - looking at it I can skip that top loop entirely, just wire A to the second smart.

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 9, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

Because I'm using bots to unload trains and deposit the ore into requester chests that then feed belts into my smelting area. I could have them deliver directly to smelters, I suppose, but the disadvantage of that is that those requester chests would be further away, which necessitates more roboports for charging. As it is, it's pretty simple to set everything up, and I can have all of my ore depots shared so that trains have a large number of stations to choose from and there are no blockages.

fair enough. I've never tried robounloading trains. every ore-type has a separate train+station in my current setup, and previous games has had each carriage contain a different thing.

(I've since expanded to the right, moving the solar farm south. gem processing and alien science have moved in. The train lines stayed put, though)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Kinetica posted:

I am having the damnedest time trying to get multi-junction rails going; half the time a train going through will trip another light and prevent other trains from going through even though they've left the junction. Ughhhhh

a screenshot of the junction in question might help.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

cool.

chain signals are my go-to for traffic problems

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there a better way to do an unloader like this?

The boxes on the top can't unload because the belt is full.

I can't think of a great way to get a really compressed belt for this.

try this:

as long as there is belt capacity on the main belt, all 4 boxes get unloaded.

edit: even more horizontally compact:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Suspicious Dish posted:

two input belts:

change that particular lane of the bus to red belts until you hit the problem splitters

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

So I'm at the stage where I'm feeling rather meh about my current factory and am going to start again.

changes:

- reduce richness of fields, put spawner frequency back to normal
- make hydroxide ratio 1:4 - 1:10 was too low, had emptied 14 full chests of the surplus accrued pre-1:10 to feed the science machine.
- reduce lead:nickel:cobalt probs to 1:0.3:0.2
- plan the train network around roll-in-roll-out stations, have ammo delivery to mining outposts be it's own train instead of piggybacking on ore wagons.
- even less hand crafting of items, objects makers should be chains of assemblers fed with metals, churning new items while I do other things
- ENDLESS NIGHT :black101:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

zedprime posted:

You can do cool stuff if you set up the logistics requesters into high level belt components. As you rip up the old belts, logistics-trash them, and they get fed back into the next level assemblers.

since bobs have multiple levels of quite a few things, I use this a lot. Plus for items that use odd things (blue belt tech use lubricant, the tier 4 assembler uses bronze gears) I logi-trash whatever I want upgraded and let the bots bring me the new toys.

i also use non-limited smart crates as links in assembler chains, and feed the requester chests into them. set a smart inserter between the low-tier assembler and the crate and use that as the limiter. that way any new excess stops the low-tier production until it is gone, else the high tier assemblers pull from both the requester and the low-tier chain at the same time.

I'll repeat what I said earlier on the general uses of bots:

Bots are for me, belts are for my factory.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

so my current minimal-handcrafting / don't-belt-intermediates game is producing some interesting designs:

(bobs/SCE/endless night)

hooray! - after hand-crafting only 1 assembler-2 I have eventually gotten the lights turned on!

past games have shown these circuit boards are swallowed up by the blue-science machine, and the crafting tree for them is complex enough to dissuade against locally assembly, so onto a belt they go.

red/green science machine that can be extended southwards if needed.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

setting up my petro complex:

- oops, can't hand craft that refinery. need to use an assembler.
- oops, can't use an assem-2, it needs 5 ingredients. better research assem-3s.
- oh good, the research pathway is all green, just work at it while I set up the rail system.
- yay, the rail is laid, the train is running on burning wood, and the research is done. let's set an assem-2 to make an assem-3. what does it need?
- neat - steel bars, steel gears, an assem-2 and the recently researched "electronic circuit boards". what do they need?
- a circuit board from copper, tin, ferric fluid, and a wood-based board. can do. (just need to set up the ferric fluid line)
- basic electronic components - am already doing, no problem.
- solder - again, no problem.
- transistors, ok what goes into THOSE...
- tinned copper wire - yawn
- silicon wafer - need to get that stone mining outpost going sooner than expected, but sure
- plastic

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

currently I have a one-way loop of track around my base, with sidings coming off it that have roll-in-roll-out stations to unload goods. The main tracks to the mines are your standard 2-lane setup, and the final branches to the mines proper have a single 2-way track with a terminal station.

A tip for anyone starting playing with duel track & signals: put your signals on the inside or the outside of the tracks, but pick one and stick with it - otherwise you'll just confuse yourself when you go to make junctions and branching paths.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Moddington posted:

2 spaces also gives you enough space to put in S-bends for lane switching/splitting/merging.

that's useful - when I convert a single into a duel but keep the station at the end, the merging did this:

it looked even weirder in my previous game that had no gap between the tracks.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ratzap posted:

You must have run into the same problem with making electronic components, it needs 3 ingredients and you need the blue boards to research the assembler 2 don't you? The Bobs author has posted a few times to people saying 'hey, there's circular dependencies here, here...'. He's aware of it and his answer is hand craft the first ones to get bootstrapped.

yeah - I hand crafted what couldn't be crafted in assem-1s until I got my first 2.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

boo_radley posted:

The kind who washes his hands thirty times before touching each doorknob in the house, Jesus. Getting a basic blue circuit line is enough of a pain in the rear end as it is.

the higher tier boards are easier to get going at a good production rate than vanilla, imo.

base -> circuit board -> finished board

each tier has it's own base. and past the "green circuit" the recipe for the circuit is [base + copper + tin + ferric fluid]

the finished board is that plus components and solder. each tier needs the lower tier components plus the component for that tier.

as you reach the next tech level, just extend the solder/copper+tin/components belts past the old assembly line into the new one. Just add the new things somewhere in between.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

so, i've just gotten blue science going, the design is similar to my red/green one posted earlier. But this current playthrough/play-style is just no longer fun. The no-handcrafting rule just means more running around gathering what I need, or fiddling with assemblers to make it. The giant loop of train track around my base was just badly implemented. And the lack of most intermediates on belts made every segment a puzzle to figure out. I spent far too long getting blue science sorted when I could have just plopped down some bits and fed them stuff.

I'll post pics later but right now I'm just over it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

i've played at least 500 hours and started at least 10 maps and i've just now noticed small electric poles have a fuel value...

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Speedball posted:

I'm tempted to just go loving nuts and deconstruct everything in my base. It'd take a while to sort everything but it'd also reorganize it quite well. As it stands I don't have enough green chips (and not enough room in my current setup for more green chips, need to expand everything) and green chips are the thing holding me back on everything else.

At least I'm drowning in petroleum and used my trusty tank to blow the poo poo out of every enemy hive around me, so I don't have to deal with many attacks.

make a shitload of yellow logistic chests and place them all somewhere near a lot of roboports. make at least 600 constructors.

deconstruct in chunks at a time - the robots will try to put every thing in it's own chest (yellow belts in one chest, red belts in another, etc)

bobs players - use the robo chargers instead of roboports

------

anyway - here's the pics of my failed game

overall view of base. the sidings for off-loading stuff were (mostly) good. Passing trains did have a tendency to zoom through an empty station at top speed.

bad design choice #1 - putting this section of the Loop inside my walls. And then deciding to keep it this way when I shifted this segment left.

bad design choice #2 - this entire station. It took up too much space. A vertical station unloaded from both sides would have been better.

-----
Thing I'm doing in my new game: Remote mine monitoring:

The chests at each mine are wired into the green network, and a constant next to them provides a count of the number of chests into the red network.
The combinator grid provides a value in the range of 0...1000 tied to how full the chests are, which is then sent to the combinators by the lightgrid which selects the appropriate signal for that row. Just iron, coal and oil at the moment, next session will be getting the mining operations for the next three set up.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

So a while back I mentioned "crossing the streams" in passing, as a thing I tried to avoid doing. I decided to make an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Exewu posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll try that one.

I tried moving my steam engines to the lake, but you can see how much space it's taking already. Each row needs one pump + pipeline leading to it, and I don't know how I can keep scaling it. And solar power just isn't polluting enough for me!

try putting two offshore pumps at one end of the pipeline, and this at the other:

can run a double line of engines just by extending the boiler run and using a tank as a splitter.