Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I've got the game on Steam, but I've just noticed that the default version right now is still on 13.20, but that I can upgrade to the latest 14.x builds via the betas tab. Do these break save compatibility? What have they even changed in version 14? I've browsed through some of the changelogs and it looks like it's mostly bugfixes and under-the-hood stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I want some burner construction robots.

Steampunk Construction robot
1x iron plate
5x pipe
20x iron gear wheels, good sir

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
IS there a mod or something that fixes the problem with biters destroying trains and power pylons? Despite what the devs claim in the the .14 patch, they're still randomly aggroing on my cross country pylons in the middle of nowhere. And I'm constantly losing locomotives because they crash into a green biter, stop dead in their tracks and inevitably get destroyed. I'd gladly take a cheaty solution at this point, like making trains and big power poles invincible, because it's honestly making the game kinda unplayable, and I can't think of any way to prevent this other than fortifying thousands of tiles of railroad track...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Oldstench posted:

I had never heard of this game until 2 weeks ago and I ended up building a new computer just so I could play it.

I think I'm going to die at my computer from malnutrition or dehydration one of these days. I haven't had time get sucked away from me this badly since Civ 2 back in the day.

It's got that classic civ "one more thing" aspect to it, where your whole workflow just goes off on tangents within tangents. You're like "time to automate speed modules, oh but first let me set up blue belts, wait drat I ran out of poles again, first I need to automate power poles and expand logistics coverage and make more robots oh but I also need more steel and also more iron smelting well let me just run the train all the way down there to drill that iron, actually let's plop down a few more rows of generators first..." and before you know it hours have passed and you've gotten less half of that stuff done, and completely forgot you were originally going to make speed modules.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

FadedReality posted:

Oh man AND it lets an inserter grab from chests to its right and left?

I'd love a version of that where you unlock the new capabilities with logistics or something else that feels like you've earned "smart" inserters.

My first reaction was "well that's cheating!" but then again, the arms already have a full 360° range of motion, so why the hell not? It should be somewhere up there in the advanced logistics tree

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I think biters are good because the threat is localized and pretty predictable, with a lot tech that specifically serves the purpose of preventing the damage they can cause. So just like you've got separate areas of your base where you process oil, or generate power, or manufacture different things, the outer perimeter is it's own area of your factory, which you build with its own designs, and which serves its own purpose. You don't have to build turrets all over your oil processing area, because that job is already being handled somewhere else.

If anything in your whole base was under constant threat of being destroyed or knocked out by RNG weather events, what specific infrastructure lets you build or design around that? It just means you'd have to massively overbuild everything, everywhere, all the time. If losing this power pole knocks out the whole grid, build two. Or three. Or twenty, just in case. It's not a specific, focused threat with a specific design solution, it's just "build lots of extra stuff because any of it could break at any time."

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Does anyone get huge framerate drops only when a lot of high performing steam generators are on screen? It only happens when the "show smoke" graphics setting is on. It's weird because it's not like I'm using integrated graphics or something, I've got a GTX 760, but for some reason those big thick plumes of steam seem to bring my FPS to a crawl.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'm having an ammo resupply issue. I've got a huge base with a very far distance to some of the perimeter walls, and the way the base is laid out, my logistics bots sometimes have to cut across hostile territory to get from the ammo manufactory to the turrets. Is there a simple way to setup midway logistics stations so I can better control their flight path? At first I thought "easy, I'll just have a requester chest pulling ammo, and insert that into a provider chest," except then the ammo just gets looped around endlessly between the two chests. Does anyone have a setup for this?

Also, what is the purpose of active provider chests? I don't see what they do that wouldn't get done anyway by just having requesters. I guess they will infinitely send things into storage, but what's the practical purpose of that?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Elos posted:

In my bases I usually place the storage chests in a convenient central location and use active providers for most items I produce. This means the bots haul all the ammo and belts and poles etc. straight into storage and when I show up from a outpost building trip the poor bots don't have to fly all the way to the other side of my base to grab a thing (sometimes stopping to recharge once or twice on the way).

Yeah, but the downside to that is that all those items will be produced infinitely until the storage chests run out of room, at which point you either build more or clear out a bunch of the items.

Maybe I'm overestimating how easily that will happen, since storage space is compact, so I guess you can easily just build like a million chests. Still, I've always been kinda cautious about drastically overproducing things, since at a certain point it's just a pointless drain on your raw resources. I mean, is there really any point in stockpiling more than a few thousand or maybe even a few hundred poles? You'll never use that many at once, and even if you could, they produce quickly enough to make up for it.

Unless maybe you're using circuit/logistics programming to limit excess production? I've never tried that and didn't even think of it until I was typing this post so maybe I should just shut up

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Is there a mod that fixes the logistics stockpile display so that it doesn't go off the bottom of my screen?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah, you'd need literally hundreds, if not thousands of oil wells to take advantage of that many assemblers

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Selklubber posted:

Is the flamethrower gun as effective in clearing forests as the turrets? I'm using turret to clear enemy forests, but it's a hassle setting up the assembly station for oil barrels every time.

Poison capsules or grenades are a hundred times faster and more effective at clearing forests than fire

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oil fields do kinda suck though, mostly because it's pretty tedious to set them up, what with having to individually plop each pump, and it's really fussy to connect them with all the pipes. I would much rather it be more like ore, so you could just plop even rows or a blueprint onto an oil field a few times and be done with it. And I don't see how it would lose its novelty, it's already drastically different from metals on the processing and logistical side of things.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I guess that could work, but it's a pretty big footprint, and oil patches are usually pretty tightly spaced, so I imagine you'd block off a lot of them, right?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So are they saying that raw uranium processing has a random output, making you deal with excess waste material to keep a proper ratio? That's interesting, it reminds me of spacechem.

Also, I liked the part about brood war, cause the first time I ever saw factorio, literally the first thing I thought was "hell yeah, Starcraft 1998 graphics"

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I might feel the same way if it was more ubiquitous, I think the retro pixel graphics thing is pretty played out and usually looks bad. But I dunno, Starcraft still looks great to me, it's probably nostalgia more than anything though, cause I was extremely obsessed with Starcraft in my early teen years.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I'd never thought to bus gears before, but since it basically doubles iron throughput to gear consumers, I guess it actually makes a lot of sense.

Hagop posted:

Proof that I learned how to green circuit

Why is the train car buffer in the green circuit assembly line necessary? I'm pretty sure if you just have the top and bottom wire assemblers insert to their respective circuit assemblers, and then have the middle wire assembler insert to both, it will balance out perfectly

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

RyokoTK posted:

Trains are amazing and excellent and fun to operate once you get a system going.

The easiest suggestion I have for minimizing conflicts is to dedicate each rail to one-way traffic. Have the trains return on a different rail. And any time you have an intersection, fork, or merge, use chain signals at the entrance to the intersection and regular signals at the exit.

I should probably follow this advice, I tried to do a two-rail multi-directional rail line where all the trains could get on or off in either direction and pick their own rail, but the signals for that are just too complicated, and eventually it would always lead to some kinda traffic jam. Although admittedly a lot of my problems are probably because I always forget to take into account the length of my trains when I build intersections, so I end up with a train sitting at a red light, while the rear end is blocking the previous block, and that always causes issues.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

M_Gargantua posted:

Two rail multi directional is impossible. Even in reality it is rarely done.

Yeah, I can't remember why I decided to do it that way... I think it's because I had a dedicated resupply train that went around to all my outposts and refilled replacement turrets, walls, ammo, bots and so on, but I liked the idea that this train could exit a station in either direction and take whichever track was not currently in use. But in retrospect it makes so much more sense to just stick to one rail out, one rail in, and have U-turn sections after each station in either direction. drat, now I wanna play the game again, after months of waiting for the new version, haha

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
WHat is this spider walker people keep mentioning, they've never mentioned it in the several months of friday updates since I started following

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
My new thing is to set up circuits so that when the tanks get too full, it automatically gets turned into solid fuel which is mixed right into the boiler coal belts. Even though heavy oil and petroleum conversion is less efficient, It helps keep your tanks clear, and makes your coal last a lot longer

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can someone repost that ratio cheat sheet thing?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Ah, that's the one I was looking for. There's one thing I don't get about the last slide though, it says 22 low density structures to 21 rocket fuel to 20 control units, which I assume is the ideal ratio of machines for feeding a rocket. But those all produce at the same speed, so why the discrepancy? Does that account for the needs of the satellite?

I'm actually trying to figure out how much production of those items is needed to feed a rocket without any pause in silo production. Right now I've got 20 of each, and even with 4 production modules in the silo, and I have pretty long pauses once it works through the belt storage, so I assume the requirement must be pretty high... I'm pretty bad at mathing these things out though, and it's especially annoying how they gave the silo a 1 production speed instead of the 1.25 of the machines feeding it

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

That's because you just reached the point where the game explodes with complexity. Oil processing means learning how do deal with liquids, and blue beakers have a dauntingly complex recipe compared to anything you've produced so far.

I recommend you start setting up your oil production, build a ton of storage tanks for petroleum, light oil, and heavy oil. The main purpose of oil right now is for turning into petroleum. If your oil processing starts getting stalled by your light/heavy storage being full, turn that stuff into solid fuel and just store it en masse somewhere, it'll be useful later. (Or you can feed it into your boilers instead of coal.) You then want to figure out how to start producing blue beakers and aim for the advanced oil processing tech, which gives you a better petroleum ratio and lets you turn the other byproducts into petroleum as needed, and basically makes your whole oil processing situation much more efficient.

I think most people agree that shooting for advanced oil processing is the top priority for the point you're at right now, so make that your goal

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
If you're getting killed by trains, you weren't wearing enough shields in the first place. I often deliberately step in front of speeding trains when I want to catch a ride

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

GenericOverusedName posted:

Make sure you click through the imgur album they link, it's loving insane.

That guy's factory is incredible, it literally looks like the title screen image. I can barely make sense of it

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Loopoo posted:

If you mouse over an item and press Q, it copies it, with the same direction and everything. Makes building massive furnace arrays super easy, as I don't need to keep rotating inserters. I have no idea if it keeps filter information or not. This is such a welcome QOL improvement.

This feature is so great just for the amount of clicking, key-pressing, and menu opening it saves you

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So I was all ready to go with my first oil train when I realized I have no idea how you actually load/offload the fluid wagon. I think you use pumps, right? Do you just place them next to the rails pointing at each chamber of the wagon? I checked the stop & scheduling tutorial hoping it would cover this but it doesn't

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

FISHMANPET posted:

You only need one pump for wagon if all the tanks are connected i the wagon (click the wagon to connect or disconnect tanks inside it). But yes, point the pump at the wagon to load it, point the pump away from it to unload it. You'll know it's working because the pump arm will extend to the wagon to load or unload it.

The new fluid wagon really is amazing.

Got it, thanks. I wasn't sure because there's no visual indicator that's it's set up right when it's not active I guess

Edit: oh wait, there is a visual, but not until you build some of the adjacent piping for some reason

Also, I still have a long way to go before this, but I'm really excited by the possibilities that the new fluid barreling will provide. I've always thought that piping fluids around my factory is one the most annoying and inelegant parts of the logistics game, so it's really great that I'll just be able to have my bots fly around the small amounts of water, sulfuric acid, and lubricant that a lot of products require

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 26, 2017

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
1 grey science per second consumes .5 red bullets per second, so 2 is enough

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Woah, woah, woah... the nuclear reactor needs 40MW to operate? So I've gotta have like 50 conventional steam engines just to jump start this thing? :psyduck:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Oh I see. I just noticed that the boiler also has 1.8 MW consumption in it's tooltip, now I get it.

I'm thinking I might not get this thing running for a while, but in the meantime, is there any point to using turbines, heat exchangers, or heat pipes in conjunction with conventional boilers & steam engines, now that I've got all that stuff unlocked?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

RyokoTK posted:

Is there any reason not to use the fastest belt you have available, other than fancy belt overlapping tricks?

Like I get that if you only want one assembler making some niche item you hardly use, you don't really need to have blue belts for it, but it's not going to actually reduce productivity, is it?

There are only two reasons I can think of. One is that yellow inserters actually can't move fast enough to pick up something flying by on a blue belt, so if you've got old inserters and can't be bothered to upgrade them too. The other reason is just to save on materials when higher belt speed is not actually necessary. Blue belts really cost a shitload of iron

Ultimately this just means I don't bother upgrading old belts if it's not necessary, but when I build new stuff I almost always use the best belts I've got simply because I'm not gonna waste inventory space carrying around all those different belt types

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Truga posted:

Blue belts gently caress with my perfect ratios so I only use them for buses or similar things where bandwidth matters and ratios do not. I use reds on all my furnaces and most assembler areas.

How can a faster belt possibly mess with a ratio? It doesn't change the number of things going in or out of the machines...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just got my purple science set up and realized it's insanely steel hungry... I did the math, and I think in order to keep my standard .75 science pack per second production rate with level 2 assemblers, purple science consumes 12 steel per second... Which means 105 goddamn furnaces making steel? :suicide: Am I right about that? I'm gonna have to claim some new land...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah, and just at a glance it looks like each pair of yellow science packs consumes something like 230 copper

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Xerophyte posted:

Each craft produces 2 purple science packs, fortunately, so half of that. 52 furnaces smelting steel is still a lot, especially at 10 iron/steel on expensive. :v:

E: FWIW, my solution to purple science was to alternate researching things that require purple packs with things that don't so that the things could buffer and settle for having half-ish the purple production that I do of everything else. This let me get away with having a mere 2 steel furnace columns, fed by 4 iron furnace columns, for my entire factory. Cheap!

E2: Also, note that military and hi-tech science packs are also 2/craft, which I completely failed to notice for military so I'm massively overproducing them. Oh well...

How are you getting 52 furnaces? When I figured out I'd need 105 furnaces making steel, I already factored in that it's a 2x science pack recipe and was calculating for steel/electric furnaces. I just wanna know cause I'm usually pretty bad at doing the math for this kinda stuff and I'd love to find out that I calculated wrong

RyokoTK posted:

Re: red chip assembly. Two changes were made for them: the time to build is now 6 seconds instead of 10(?), and the petroleum cost of making plastic is now 20 instead of 30, so although it still takes 2 bars to make a red chip it takes less raw materials to get there.

Petroleum production is so much less of a mid game hassle now that you don't need loving batteries for blue tech and oil fields are more rich than before.

Also processing units are 10 seconds now, I think they used to be 15, right?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Tenebrais posted:

Also I need to get round to setting up explosives manufacturing, I never found it worth it before so I'm not in the habit.

I started using landmines, they're pretty great with the new stun effect. I put a big line of them right in range of my turrets, they clean up the weaker bugs immediately and keep the bigger ones from ever even reaching the wall. They're probably even better with flame turrets, since those tend do best against stationary targets

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
They still haven't fixed the thing where biters randomly aggro on power pylons out in the wilderness, and it's still driving me crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I run power lines to my distant resource expansions. The biters usually ignore them like they do with rails, but sometimes they just attack like a single pole for no reason. I've always suspected it was cause it just happened to be in the way of their pathfidning, or because they got aggro'd by a passing train and took it out on the pole, but either way it shouldn't happen and there's no really good way to design around it, so I just have to go out there and fix it myself