Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
If I enjoy turrets and my vast ammo beltways of death do I need to upgrade to lasers for the mid/late game biter attacks, or are turrets sufficient to get the job done?

Also, whenever I see a train in this game, all I can think of is that it needs a Snowpiercer mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

zedprime posted:

Turrets do more damage at shorter range, which means you'll dedicate a healthy repair pack industry besides ammo to keep the turrets and walls topped up once spitters show up, where enough lasers can swat most spitters before they ever spit.

I might enjoy that. I started my first game on peaceful because I thought the combat would detract from the game (as it seems to for a lot of people), but restarted as I found I enjoyed the additional pressure of the Starship-Trooperesque bug swarms throwing themselves at my heavily fortified factory. It's a pain whenever I expand though.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Your lack of consistant naming convention for multiple edits suggests you've yet to reach maximum :spergin: There's still hope!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Someone needs to make a "to-do list" mod. I'm just too easily distracted by fixing up little problems or tidying up some poorly laid out belts, on the way to finally hooking up oil, and then beefing up my defence and oh, need a new row of boilers and then forgetting what I'm doing or what I had planned. Part of that is not having that much time to play so each new session I have no idea what I was doing at the end of the last game.

That said I spent my entire time yesterday just going back and forth between starting a new game with or without the RSO mod and trying to get a starting area I thought was acceptable. My biggest problem with the RSO mod always seems to be stone. Most starting area seem to have a very small supply, which is fine as you don't need that much. But I've run around the map for minutes in every direction and not found any more several times. Then I decide to turn of RSO and there's just clumps of resources and bugs everywhere and that doesn't seem like fun either. Either way, I'll find my perfect starting area one day... and when I do I can almost guarantee there will be too many trees every where.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gibbo posted:

Or just do what anyone reasonable would do and open a loving notepad, either digital or a real book

I use a physical notepad. The mod request was mostly made in jest (although I'd probably use it).

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 20, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gibbo posted:

Holy poo poo. I wonder how thoroughly the game could be modded to have a sort of Railroad Tycoon campaign in it.

Now I'm nostalgic for Railroad Tycoon. I'm not a big train guy, but I loved the hell out of that game (2 specifically). I love the idea of a futuristic RT2 on a developing colony world where you're shipping resources and ammunition between struggling outposts while juggling competing megacorporations trying to get some kind of resource offworld. It feels like something that could really make uses of the evolving alien (well native) threat mechanic.

Edit: I don't suppose anything even vaguely like this exists already? Offworld colonies, exploration and dealing with local wildlife is just a theme I really like.

These look so cool. I don't want to use the mod this game because I want to figure out vanilla oil, but I'd love to have these dotted all over the map for purely aesthetic reasons.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm just here to say that I bought this game on speculation that it would be fun and I've just watched my $/hour of enjoyment crater in the 5 days or so since purchasing it. I've got about 15 hours into it and I've still only just barely touched vehicles, and haven't touched anything smart, circuits, robots, etc. Rail is my next task, but I might start a new world first because good god my main area is a mess. I cleaned it up a bit after learning about splitters and ways to separate belt lanes, but the research factory is an absolute poo poo show and there's no way I can add blue research production without tearing it all down anyway.

I've done this about five times now. Each time I get a bit further into the game, get a handle on a new mechanic... and then start again from scratch. Next up... robots!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people have an issue where they'll restart because they want to start with prior knowledge/don't like their current base look/hit oil/walked away from the game for a bit/a distracting butterfly fluttered by.

Doesn't stop the game from being fun though.

Absolutely. Keeping the old infrastructure and starting a new factory is also a viable (and for a lot of people probably a prefereable) option, but I enjoy the initial start up phase so don't mind starting from scratch each time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Slowly building up my factory. I have more material than I know what to do with... then I decided to make blue belts (and underground and splitters). Holy gently caress that's a lot of steel. It's probably the biggest jump in resource use I've seen since I started.

On an unrelated note I'm using that Resource (RAO?) mod that makes resources further away. Is it normal that I'm a dozen or so hours in and have a couple of resource outposts and I still haven't seen a single biter or biter base? I watched a youtube of someone using the same mod and they encountered them way earlier.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
OMG robots. Robots change everything.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ratzap posted:

Now you will realise why so many factories you see posted have chests all over the place. Soon as you get robots you replace them with providers and get the logistic net set up with very little effort. You'll probably wish you could have more logistic slots soon too, that stuff is habit forming.

Even construction bots were a massive game changer. I'm still getting my head around logistics.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ratzap posted:

They still breed and spread though. The big question he leaves open is whether he changed any of the RSO config settings or what map settings he used. If he fiddled with the map creation settings for biters, RSO picks that up and uses it.

I took a long train ride in each direction and plonked down radars and still no biters so I investigated the settings and they were turned off :argh: Was because I'd downloaded a mod pack to save time. On the bright side this and figuring out robots gives me a good excuse to start again :D

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Returning to this game after a break has made me realize that it's possibly my favourite game of all time. With the exception of a couple of quality of life mods (that Bottleneck one is new since I last played and great) the vanilla game still holds enough interest and challenge to keep me going and I don't think I really need any more complexity.

At the moment I'm not really bothered about rockets and spending most of my time playing with the logistic and circuit networks. How well the game runs and how it manages to keep track of everything without a hitch (or glitch) never fails to impress me either. Also, the updates to trains since I last played are pretty sweet.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

quote:

Bitertropolis, located just outside my walls. Finally starting to get a few behemoths. I've been using only walls and gun turrets as my defenses, but lately they've been starting to get overrun.

I was just going to post asking how people tend to deal with biters when they have bigger factories and keep expanding, especially with outposts as well. Have seen a few videos where people have a fair bit of water on the map and wall off obvious choke points, but when there is a lot of open land that doesn't work so well. I've just been going out and with robots, shields and a flamethrower and pushing back bases within pollution distance, but it's started to reach a point where that ends up taking so long to do and nothing is getting built.

I'm enjoying this part of the game and the increasing pressure from the biters and wouldn't prefer peaceful, just interested in how people deal with it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Chunjee posted:

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.

This, except when you're staring into the abyss you're wondering how many slots it has and if it can be connected to a circuit network

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lorini posted:

Oxygen Not Included is somewhat similar to Factorio except it's based more on chemistry and physics instead of engineering. It's done by the guys who did Don't Starve. It's in early access except you can't buy it directly from Steam for some reason. Use the link mentioned in this post to buy it. There are a number of Let's Play's on YouTube, I'm following the Skye Storm one, but Blitz just started playing it (he bought it with his own money) as well.

I'm playing it and screwing it up majorly, just like when I first started in Factorio :)

I'm on the fence after watching a couple of vids, but they didn't get very far into it so was difficult to say how much depth/complexity it had. I'll probably end up getting it at some point though. The ant-farm view and oxygen/power management aspects of it remind me a bit of Nom Nom Galaxy.

SinineSiil posted:

You actually can. Even the page you linked to has link to it.

I think they meant that you can't get it from it's page on the Steam store. It just shows as "not available". You can only get it off Steam with that direct add-to-basket link.

For anyone who has played or watched further than an hour or so... do you get more colonists at some point or is it just the ones you start with?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 23, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Azuth0667 posted:

I know were all goons and this is the autism game thread but, are you trying to claim its impossible that person and the devs talk to each other?

:tinfoil: And? I really feel like I'm missing something here. They may or may not talk to the devs and they may update the estimated release date on steam based on that, or just based on reading the blog. It doesn't really make any difference. They haven't given any definitive release dates/deadlines, in fact they seem to be going out of their way not to, and you seem to be doubling down at being mad at them for doing exactly what you suggest they should do. Comes across as more entitled than autistic.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

super fart shooter posted:

That guy's factory is incredible, it literally looks like the title screen image. I can barely make sense of it

That's pretty cool, it's always good to see devs who obviously love playing their own game. He's using circuit networks for a few things I hadn't thought of. Although always sad to read stuff like "I gave up after 32 belts stopped being enough, and turned it fully robot-based" as I'm a belt junkie and only use bots for construction and small scale logistics. That said I'll probably never build a factory that's big enough for it to be an issue.

I'm really digging the aesthetic of the higher res graphics. All the rust and steam and exposed gears.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY446h4pZdc

I hear the following line "The slow motion camera shows the train's death throes even more clearly" (0:57)

TAKE THAT TRAIN!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
This is pretty impressive for the first day! I'd forgotten they'd added speakers along with all the other stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1oRQX8xQeg

(not mine obviously, I haven't had time to play at all yet :( )

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NeuralSpark posted:

The new science requirements are really giving me fits, as my old way of building my primary factory doesn't really work now with the addition of military flasks and the changed up blue flask. I've kind of stalled here, trying to make the jump to blue science and oil processing so I'm probably going to demolish this and try a de-centralized build; transporting final goods in from satellite assembly facilities.

That starting area though!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

NeuralSpark posted:

It's my hand-edited no-effort sandbox starting area, I was planning on loving around with the new speakers ala the Still Alive link posted earlier. :blush:

I thought it was either that or a shared string :D

I spent at least an hour trying to find one I was happy with last night, and still ended up with a deadend where I was planning to build my bus. I miss the intial scan mod!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Jack the Lad posted:

Where can I find ratios for ore belts to smelters to output belts etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBzdqyrvVU

Might help. Don't know if anything relevant changed in the current version though.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Science takes up so much more space in my factory than it used to, but I'm down with that.

Also all yellow, to all blue skipping red entirely (except for braiding) is how I roll.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

OddObserver posted:

Anyone have ideas on how to automate withdrawal of extra stuff from the Uranium enrichment process? It's easy to make it produce new U-235 in a closed loop, but I want the extras going to reactor fuel, not sitting in a centrifuge input buffer, and the closest I can come up with for solution has a long delay belt with circuit network in every cell.

I'm using something similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik (Enrichment starts around 4:30, but I found the whole video fairly helpful for getting my head around all things nuclear). I spent a bit of time trying to figure out a better way, but couldn't come up with anything. Long term it's going to be interesting to see if people end up favouring nuclear over solar, especially for megafactories that are going to be running for a while. Solar can be a pain and takes up so much room, but the place and forget aspect of it is a huge advantage.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

seravid posted:

Do you guys enjoy building these bus factories or do you do them because it's the Optimal Way? I tried one once and it ended up indistinguishable from every other bus factory I've seen: neat and dead inside. I really don't get the appeal.

A main bus probably isn't optimal, not for larger factories which tend towards modular/bots/rail. I like belts and buses though, so it's what I stick with. And yes, it's because I enjoy it. Order out of chaos and all that, planning ahead, trying to control how and in which direction a factory grows. Not sure what a giant factory looking "dead inside" even means in this context though. How do you differentiate between one that's dead inside and one that isn't? I mean every spaghetti or modular or whatever factory is pretty much indistinguishable from every spaghetti, modular or whatever factory as well. The beaconed setups you've posted on previous pages are pretty indistinguishable from every other beaconed setup and are fairly neat and are optimised to a degree. I think it's just the nature of the game, especially if you want to build bigger than what it takes to launch a single rocket.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 2, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

seravid posted:

Every spaghetti is its own thing, though, created on the fly as the factory develops. Buses are pre-made, with fixed branches (right/left, up/down) and lanes of plates and circuits and whatever often stretching ahead in the distance, way beyond the current needs of the factory.

I probably sounded more defensive than I intended. I guess there's a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" element to it. I find most spaghetti factories fairly similar because, even if they're not identical, their on-the-fly nature tends to be governed by the same or similar needs in the same or similar order so they're unique in the way snowflakes are unique... different if you look close enough, but essentially the same thing. I've made several, but they don't really hold any appeal any more because they're a known quantity. I like medium sized and mid game factories (and will usually start a new one before I launch a rocket) and planning how they'll expand and where I can fit expandable columns of smelters and the logistics of moving it around by belts etc. I like the look of some really large scale stuff people do, but I don't have the time for it.

I don't have a problem with lanes of plates stretching off into the distance, it's definitely not optimal though. On this run through I've been experimenting with circuits and belts a lot on the bus, which is new for me, which is leading to a lot of resource build up. In summary: it's all good.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I'm digging the lack of gaps in the bus and the resulting splitter/underground spaghetti that creates.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
It's all about four saturated blue belts of steam

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

RyokoTK posted:

People skip red belts? :psyduck:

I almost always skip red belts. Although in .15 it feels like blue belts took a little longer to get to due to the science changes. Might just be the way I build and the order I do things in, but the throughput on yellow (or multiple yellows where needed) is usually sufficient up until resources are coming in fast enough to go straight to blues. The biggest obstacle would be a map where initial oil is particularly sparse. I don't know if that's unusual or not. But, it usually feels like the time I'd be using red over blue is so short, it's just not worth upgrading.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 3, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

People keep referring to their factories as being "spaghetti", but they'll go and upload a photo and it's not even close to being spaghetti? Factorio: I don't think spaghetti means what you think it means edition.

Does it have a fixed definition beyond things being messy?

To me it's a description that tends to get used as a catch-all when descibing anything from a part of factory to a single belt (or train) intersection, when space limitations means you're make things more complicated than you'd like. Even then it's all relative. I guess there's also stuff that's built to have a a small footprint and is actually really well designed, it just looks crazy and messy at a glance, things like large scale belt balancers (the term is also used that way in real-world engineering for complex junctions etc... I drove through the original "spaghetti junction" last weekend :D).

As a design philosophy (and when describing an entire factory) it's... pretty much everyone's first factory, when you're not really planning ahead, especially in regards to space, so you end up with an unholy mess.

Beyond that how are people using it wrong?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 3, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

I dunno I'm just being pedantic. I've noticed it a whole lot. Someone will laugh abashedly about how their factory is ~so spaghetti oh dear~ and then post a pic of the most immaculately kept and maintained factories. It's like a status symbol to have a spaghetti factory? I'm just being a big old grumps.

Yeah, the top one isn't spaghetti to me, because I think of it more in terms of mess and compromise, but I think to some people it's more about the overall design. Something can be neat and organised and they still think of it as "spaghetti" because nothing is planned beyond placing the next block/area down where it fits best right now, even if that block itself is neat and you have enough space for it. It's not the term I'd use, but eh, whatever. That said, when you build like that it's likely to turn into spaghetti at some point as the recipes get more complicated.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

I might just tear down the new base and start small and work to big. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Only because they didn't have blueprints and construction bots.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
You get them automatically from the get-go now. The book on the top right menu (above mini-map)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm gonna need a bigger bus. Digging the underground belt changes.

I mean I'm sure it's something I could of got a mod for in the past... just chose not to. Always amuses me that I've come up with some kind of arbitrary internal list of what mods are allowed and which are "cheating".

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Probably starting again for new update because I start again constantly anyway. Tempted to try Goon Island, but I loved my last map so much:

Start:

12m Iron, 11m copper, Oil for days and there's a huge patch of the green stuff just off to the left. Only downside was a lot of trees. Then...

Those choke points :love:

String if anyone want to not have to worry about resources for twenty hours...

code:
>>>AAAPAAcAAgACBAcAAAAEAAAAY29hbAEFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AQUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAEFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAQIFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAQUFBQAAAHN0b25lAQUFCwAAAHVyYW5pdW0tb3JlAQUFZ6
nMMoCEHgCAhB4ABQABAQF7FK5H4XqUPwEAAAAAAAAuQAEAAAAAAADwP
wEAAAAAAFi7QAEAAAAAAOCFQAEAAAAAAFirQAEAAAAAAIjDQAEAAAAA
AECfQAEAAAAAAEB/QAEAAAAAAECPQAEzMzMzMzPzPwEzMzMzMzPzPwF
7FK5H4Xp0PwEAAQAAAAAAAAhAAQAAAAAAAAhAAXsUrkfheoQ/AQABAQ
GN7bWg98bAPgH8qfHSTWJgPwFpHVVNEHXvPgEAAQYAAAABAgAAAAECA
AAAAZqZmZmZmbk/AQAAAAAAAABAAQAAAAAAAOA/AZqZmZmZmdk/Ac3M
zMzMzOw/AQQAAAABEAAAAAFAOAAAAcBLAwABEA4AAAGgjAAAASAcAAA
BAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAFEABZmZmZmZm9j8BMzMzMzMz4z8BMzMzMz
Mz0z8BAAAAAAAACEABAAAAAAAAJEABPAAAAAEeAAAAAcgAAAABBQAAA
AEAAAAAAAAAQAEBAQAAAAAAAFlAAQUAAAABGQAAAAEAAAAAAAAkQAEy
AAAAAQAAAAAAAD5AAWQAAAABmpmZmZmZyT8BMzMzMzMzwz8BMzMzMzM
z0z8BMzMzMzMz0z8BAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAANEABAAAAAAAAPkABAA
AAAAAAFEABAAAAAAAAPkABAAAAAAAAJEABAAAAAAAACEABCgAAAAFkA
AAAAWQAAAAB6AMAAAEAAAAAAADgPwHQBwAAAQAAAAAAQH9AAwAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA8D+POJ0O<<<

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

I've noticed Railworld starts are a bit garbage, cause the whole point is to get you using rail networks ASAP, right? But every Railworld start whomps me in the middle of massive deposits that clock in at around 4mil apiece. It basically negates the need to start branching out. I built a rail network earlier than I had to because I wanted to and I enjoy train logistics, but I was at hour 21 and still going strong with my starter deposits.

Also, I'm torn between wanting forest starts vs desert starts. Desert starts are way nicer cause of all the open space, but forest starts are more beautiful and I love the abundance of trees - up until the point I need to mass deforest them all.

Yeah, that was a Railworld and I could easily launch multiple rockets without leaving the starting area. But I wanted big resources for that one because it was more about playing with nuclear and new science.

quote:

Fix that biters would sometimes stop and go to sleep during an attack.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 5, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Loopoo posted:

You serious? When did that become a thing, cause it's awesome. I never bothered making miner blueprints cause I had no idea they only place if they're on ore.

It's definitely been this way for a while. But yeah you can just have massive miner array blueprints and plonk them down and let the bots do the rest. Depending on your preferred mining layout you might have to play around with belts/power a little.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm digging gun turrets + uranium ammo. Especially as the bullets are so cheap because you end up with shtiloads of the crappy unranium

vOv posted:

Is there a babby's guide to nuclear power somewher? I just got it researched and I'm running up against the limit of how much I want to deal with steam.

Does a pretty good job of handholding through each of the major processes in nuclear power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Did anything in particular bring in a load of new people at once? Usually it's a sale or humble bundle or something, but Wube don't do that. I guess it's a bit more active on streams and stuff since .15, but always interested if it got a new write up or some exposure somewhere.

Edit: The two people I've talked into buying the game both hated it and don't understand why I like it :( Although I guess they can't blame me as they could have tried the demo first.