Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I made a setup like this with trains:

Red lines being stations, yellow lines are the key signals, and blue lines being additional signals to allow more trains on the same lines without things getting bogged down.

Trains would load/unload at the main base's lower line station, then run to the top (front lines) station, then come back through the main base and go through the upper line station, then run to the bottom (oil) station, then come back through the main base's lower line, repeat. I think I have about 8 trains going on this line?

The more signals you put up, the closer the trains can come up behind the ones that are loading/unloading, making for a faster overall system.

You definitely have to figure out which way trains are going on a particular stretch of track. Once you have that, set a station where you need it, then just start spamming signals on the correct side of the track backwards from the station. The more the merrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I created a custom scenario without aliens to try to make a base that uses trains as much as possible, and belts as little as possible. Is there a way to go back into the saved game I am already playing and insert aliens or purple science packs?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Awesome, thanks.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
In building my mostly trains base, I've for the first time built a cross-intersection of two tracks. I was thinking about it, and I can't figure out a way to make it safe.

It seems like if I put signals close to the intersection, a train might not have time to stop when the signal suddenly goes red. If I put them further back, a train may cross in front of another after that one has already passed the signal. Am I missing something?

Also, are there any mods that let you rename train stations in game? I appreciate them naming them after their backers or whatever, but I'd really rather be able to name them something more descriptive so I don't need a big notepad of what all the weird rear end station names actually correspond to.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Mr. Wynand posted:

Train AI is pretty good about slowing down. I've yet to have a collision, and I use quite a few trains...

Already in the game - though possibly only the latest-ish version. Turn on experimental updates.

Yeah after I posted, I turned all the trains on and the rail signals seem to predict when a train is going to cross in front of them and switch to red early. I didn't realize they did anything other than - "is track ahead clear? if yes --> green".

The "perform change" thing on the station name does nothing at all in my game. Version 0.9.8. I have check for updates on start on. I assumed I was being patched, but I guess not and I'm using a really old version. I assume the save isn't compatible with the current version?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

oxbrain posted:

You can use console commands to give yourself items.

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate",count=100}

Is there a place to get all the names of the various items?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks. That is a lot more simple than I thought it would be.

http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Items#Electric_network

Found this in case you don't remember all the item names of stuff you haven't researched yet in your current game.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
So, I started fresh on 0.12 and I'm trying some new stuff:

Maybe you can tell what I'm going for here. I'm trying to design a sorter that I can belt the 4 raw materials into and have it sort it and send it to the correct place. This is my second design, and it has wound up being like those Japanese restaurants where the food goes around on a belt until someone that wants it takes it off.

I like playing with trains mostly, and not having to sort remote train stops into "Iron field 5", "Copper field 3", and just letting them pickup a mess of stuff and having it sorted back at base is what's driving me.

The biggest problem I can see is throughput, as even with the top tier belts it'll max out pretty fast. This all feeds into a bus system, so the other problem is if you get too much of any one thing further on and it starts backing up, it'll cut off supply to other materials once the sorter gets jammed. Neither of which is a giant issue to me, because I spend hours and hours playing with the early game stuff and just building train lines. But if someone has tried something like this, I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience.

This is the second new thing I'm trying out. Instead of having one line of belts, I'm doing this weird branching-combining belt system to hopefully spread the load more evenly across furnaces. With the way belts work, it looks like it's going to be about the same, but I thought I'd try it out.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

You need a 'trash' storage area for the times it gets overwhelmed so the belt doesn't get jammed. Once it eases off you could then reintroduce it back to the start using the circuit network to determine this and it can be properly sorted!

I've thought about this a little, played with chest to increase the buffer amount, but if you get really clogged, I don't see a way to fix it except manually. Which is fine for me, because that's pretty much all I do. But if you have a "trash" system that'll actually automate it I'd love to hear it.

Reading your post closer, I've never used the circuit network in my many hours of factorio, so maybe I'm missing out.

RVT fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 25, 2015

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone have some tips for getting multiplayer working? I can launch a multiplayer game fine, but I can't connect to my buddy, and he can't connect to me.

Running 12.10 and win7.

Does it take some router tinkering? My firewall looks good as far as Factorio is concerned.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I basically play this game to make a factory fed by a stupidly huge and complicated train network. Do we have any information on when 13.0 is coming out? I'm having a lot of trouble summoning up the energy to start a new game when the track laying / train system re-work is around the corner.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Add more cargo wagons to slow them down. Makes them also look a lot less goofy than 1-2 car trains. I like to have 10 wagons with 1 engine. Makes it look realistic enough without being totally unwieldy.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The latter.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Are stack inserters just a straight upgrade to fast inserters except for the big increase in power draw?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
For me this game is a train game. I build stuff so that trains have a reason to move stuff.

Logistics train network is a super cool mod, but I got comfortable with trains for about 300 hours before I found it. I don't think anyone should wait that long, but it's probably best to fiddle with them for awhile before you install it.

Just start building stations and see what develops. Only thing I'd say to keep in mind off the bat is (1) build 2 lanes if you're going any kind of distance, and (2) if you're building a station, don't build it on the main highway, build a spur off to the side.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The game has started to really slow down as our factory has gotten really big. Never played one map long enough to deal with this before. It's at the point where I have to host the game, because if my buddy hosts it is unplayable for me even if he lowers the game speed. If I host it's perfectly playable, but everything happens maybe 70% as fast as it should. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

pixaal posted:

You have reached the point where you now need to tear everything down and do things in the least CPU intensive way. This is with lots of beacons and as few belts as possible. Also good rail routing, train AI on poorly planned tracks can kill performance.

Wow, tearing everything down would be quite a job and sorta kill the feeling of progress. I'll think about it though.

How do I determine if I have good rail routing? I have a fairly robust 4 lane system in most of the base, but I don't know what does or doesn't cause problems for the AI.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Dude I play with always has Excel open, furiously calculating ratios. I just over build the upstream until the bottleneck moves down the supply chain to a point I'm ok with.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone played the PvP much? We have a 1v1 game going, and we'd like be able to temporarily be non aggressive towards each other for some biter clearing. However, all of our turrets automatically shoot the other guy, and we can't figure out how to change that.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

necrotic posted:

I think that would require a mod to change on the fly, not sure if one exists for it. You're on different teams, and the biters are on their own team, and different teams are hostile to each other by design.

edit: of course, there is a mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Friends

Thanks, we'll give it a try.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

LTN is great, but I'm learning to love TSM (Train Supply Manager) more than LTN because...

Agree with most of what you said, but I found LTN to be way more powerful, flexible, and easier to set up than TSM. LTN feels like you are managing a train network as a whole from the top, while TSM feels like you are piecing together a bunch of independent automated routes into a train network. TSM definitely has some pros like you mentioned, but I really prefer LTNs reporting and features and interface. I only moved away from LTN in my most recent game because LTN and some other mods were hammering my ups, and apparently TSM is way easier on ups.

Not meant to be too harsh of a criticism of TSM, it's pretty good and I could see why some would prefer it. But if you are getting hardcore into trains and don't anticipate ups concerns, I'd suggest you give LTN a try. It's really great, and I miss it.

RVT fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 6, 2020

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Anyone have a 8 fluid wagon length loader and unloader that works with LTN? I've found smaller ones, but I'm far too dumb to convert them to work with my 3-8 trains. And having to program all my fluid trains to run outside of LTN is taking away half the point of using LTN.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Appreciate this, I'm also using Brian's trains bp as the basis for my rail network. My problem is he uses 1-4-1-4-1 trains which I'm sure he has a reason for, but they look extremely goofy to me. I was hoping for an X-8 layout station that was balanced.

I know it must exist, I can't be the only one using 1-8, 2-8, 3-8, whatever-8 trains. Nilaus in his LTN fluid train video even says his system built for 1-4 could be used for 2-8 if you reprogrammed it, but as I don't really understand how his 1-4 balanced station works, I have no idea how to combine 2 of them to be balanced across 8.

If Brian's has a solution in it, please point it out cause that would be great, I'm just missing it if it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Bobsledboy posted:

I think there is a 1-8-1 or similar in the auxiliary Brian's trains blueprint book.

If it is in an additional bp book please point me to it. If it is in the main one, I tried to look through it comprehensively, but if it's in there, I would also be grateful if you could point me to it.