Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Forer posted:

Can we get some type of steam group or some way to all group together for the same server, because I occasionally host mine but I definitely want to play with other goons.

I am also interested in some multiplayer action. Probably the best way to learn about how different people have different setups.

edit: For now, anyone that wants to start a game with me, hit me up on dipwood on Steam.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Forer and I just played for nearly 4 hours with no problems. If anyone is getting desync issues, make sure you're running the same 32/64-bit client as the host.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

How stable is the MP right now? I would totally be up for someone playing a round with me now.

I played with Forer for hours with no issues once we realized that we needed the same client (Windows 64-bit). Didn't have to rehost at all. Your mileage may vary, but I'd say it's worth it.

If nobody makes a steam group within a few days, I will. I'd rather not personally because I'm very new to the game, but multiplayer is pretty fun. Everyone has their own setup and you can learn from each other.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm on my 4th map now. My first map was fresh off the first tutorial campaign, trying to figure out how to make green potions. I ended up with one huge belt that went around in a circle and carried all my resources and made a huge deadlock.

My 2nd map, I decided to space everything out and had belts running very far. I grouped all my production and just had it feed into the relevant areas with splitters and underground belts. I played around with trains, bots, and some minor mods.

3rd map I wanted a bit more difficulty, so I cranked up the alien settings. I ended up on pseudo-island with 2 little chokes leading in, so it was easy to defend. this time I opted for a 'main belt' setup that ran horizontally and branched off north and south for dedicated automation for certain products. I then added robots for supplying advanced production, and trains to bring resources from afar. It was my first real train and bot network, and now I know that you want your tracks to be dual-rail, otherwise you have to make detours everywhere.

My 4th map I started last night I wanted to try out DyTech. I'm enjoying it so far. It's another death world so I had to spend time walling my base up before I could continue advancing, because DyTech put a big tech block in front of lasers that I had to overcome that involved like 4 different types of DyTech research potions.

Here's a goon factorio group. I'm always up for some MP games. Anyone can join.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontorio

One thing we need to decide in MP though is which version we'll run. Is 11.3 good for multiplayer? I know that 11.1 was fine for it. Is it possible to just have a separate install of Factorio just for MP use?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

quote:

Multiple players can connect to the MP game at the same time.

Well, this would explain a few nights ago.

Also, is there some way to disable replays? I hear that makes map transfers quicker.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Join the goontorio steam group, add people as friends from the people in there, and message us. I don't really hang out in steam chats but if someone schedules a game with me I'd be up for it.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Sure, add me on steam @dipwood or join the Goontorio group. I'm usually around EST 6pm+ but it's better if we plan ahead.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

President Ark posted:

I think re: the spoiled thing, they did that because the size of biter waves was getting too large and slowing down computers. The highest tier is purely a "there would be 50 big biters here, so instead we're going to spawn 4 superbiters and 10 regular ones" type thing.

Are laser turrets still the answer to everything?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Are there any multiplayer Factorio groups? I haven't played in a while and I remember the coop being amazing with a bunch of people.

I was also thinking the smaller multiplayer/coop games that goons play could use a sort of ETC GAMES Discord, for games not popular enough to have its own discord, but creating a sort of big pool of available players for the mainly indie multiplayer games. Especially Multiwinia, that game was so fun. And AI War, Dawn of Discovery, Civilization, Paradox Games (EU4, CK2, Vic2), etc.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Ratzap posted:

This comes up every few pages and the people who are interested all agree it would be great but no-one has done anything because :effort:

The rapid inserter in circuits thing: buffer into boxes. But you knew that, people just want to keep using the same designs/blueprints I suppose? Maybe they'll change things again before release after some play testing, who knows. Letting the first couple of stack tech levels apply to fast and smart inserters might work. Or they may just do it and see how we cope with the design problem.

I'm always on Discord in probably a dozen servers now, so why not one more? I made one for Overwatch on day 1 and now it's the official goon Overwatch discord, so that was cool.

https://discord.gg/0zqgS4W4YyjHSxjM

Rather than just limiting it to Factorio (although I'm making this primarily for Factorio), there's a lot of niche games I'd like to play MP sometimes so I'll expand it whenever I feel like playing more stuff or if people want to jump on ship and add games to it themselves from other threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

So far the goon server mentioned 2 posts above has been a rousing success, although clearly I picked some poor timing to start this up with Stellaris coming out and so many people having the same interests (Factorio and Stellaris both scratch that empire-building itch), but if anyone joins Discord and wants to hop on the dedicated server, just let me know and I'll join you.