Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I just started playing Factorio, and I can already tell this is going to murder hundreds of hours of my life.

Like, I got sort of deep into automation in Minecraft mod packs before and this game looks like trouble for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

I just started playing Factorio, and I can already tell this is going to murder hundreds of hours of my life.

I've played 18 hours since this post.

I see conveyor belts when I close my eyes.

I watched half an hour of youtube videos on how to make trains work.

Send help.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I can't feel my eyes. I really should get some sleep so I can work on exploiting that oil field out east, my initial 4 wells are running dry or something, plastic production has fallen off a cliff OH MY GOD HOW IT 5AM

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

My spaghetti is reaching its limit I think. My common research pack conveyor loop keeps locking up since my ratios for different colors are all over the place. Might have to relocate the research domes and create dedicated conveyor paths / sides for each color. There's no way I can cram 6 different color paths as it stands.

Petroleum has a little too much "get the ratios right or we'll shut down everything" foreplaning necessary to work, so I said gently caress it and followed a guide for proper bus. Trains are also really cool, wish I had incorporated them earlier than my initial really-long-conveyors approach for my first expansions to resource fields.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

...I already want to start a new game and properly plan out my base from the beginning next time.

My favorite part of the progression was early around the time trains get unlocked. I liked figuring out how to solve the messes I cornered myself into, like trying to find pathways to my research domes despite knowing pretty early on I should have just torn the whole drat thing down and rebuilt it from scratch.

Towards the end, my plastic production came to a near standstill and I was producing maybe 20% of what I was at my peak. Figured out many, many hours later the water supply to my crackers got destroyed. That crippled my red circuit production for many hours and probably added 3 hours to the end game.

Fun game.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

coke posted:

Did someone say spaghettis?

I guess this is what happens when you have a bunch of people working on the map as their first factorio game :v:

I would absolutely run away in horror and go set up shop in the wilderness somewhere far away, sending nice straight lines of resources back to that... Rorschach test of a factory.

My first base looked relatively nice, but had about about a dozen, "Don't touch that one pipe, it's a load bearing pipe" hacks to get it to work. I can't imagine trying to troubleshoot later game issues that would arise from that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

It's funny, I've got an itch to play Factorio for the first time in about half a year and I know in my soul this will devour another hundred hours of my life.