Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played this in almost a year. I've dropped by to see if there were some major updates, been reading the last few pages and noticed something. No one mentions logistics robots?! Late game I used to remove every belt except iron/copper/coal etc and replace everything else with hundreds of logistic robots, it seemed to work pretty great as long as transportation distances were kept within reason. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Triarii posted:

I've got a factory that's making (and using) about 3k circuits per minute, supplied entirely by bots. Belts are used only to bring iron/copper/steel from mining outposts. Not the most gigantic factory by far, but the bots haven't even started struggling yet. If your bots are having a hard time keeping up, can't you always just build more bots?

This is more or less my experience as well, with proper factory design to keep high consumption areas as close as possible I managed a huge factory with fewer than a 1000 logistics bots and there were always plenty free. The only things on belts were iron/copper, their respective plates, copper wire and steel. It took 100% roboport coverage which was an enormous project in itself but well worth it I think. And it was pretty awesome getting anything I wanted delivered to me wherever I was in a matter of seconds, I even created chains of roboport outposts deep into enemy territory to help with ammo on long raiding trips. Extending the factory was a simple matter of laying the blue print and programming the requester chests.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fleve posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Although I seem to have to revise my idea of continuous rocket launches. I'm afraid it depletes my resources so quickly that I can't keep up with maintenance while actually expanding input. By the time I explore and clear a new (oil, probably oil) resource patch something else is bound to have run out. But at least I've got a bus running that I'm finally happy with.

Does anyone have a neat solution for supplying outposts with repair kits and the occasional replacement wall or turret? I thought about making a service station at the main base, which is easy, but I can't come up with a way to unload at the outposts other than making service stations over there as well. If I use the existing stations, there's no place for unloading cause the full length of two wagons is already used for loading ores.

I just placed requester chests all along my walls and outposts with repair kits / ammo / walls / pylons to allow quick automatic repair of any damage suffered in an attack.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fleve posted:

That'd work, I'd have to connect my outposts to the bot network I guess. Currently each outpost is a network on its own, connecting them all would be a lot of bot buildings, but if I just draw 'connecting lines' with roboports....that might be workable.
Depending on the geometry of your base you have to work this carefully, it took me ages to figure out why my bots were disappearing until I realized that sometimes they were trying to reach an outpost through a path not connected to the network and running out of energy midway. What I mean is imagine a cross shaped base, if the bots try to move from one arm to the other directly without going through the middle area they can fall before they get to their destination.

I solved it by having base/outpost networks connected by independent "corridor networks" and then using inserters at the ends to move the products between chests in different networks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bhodi posted:

Don't care about trains, have never cared about trains.

Same here, the time it takes to set everything up properly I can set up 5X the belts I need to carry my poo poo. Did it once to try it out but it's really not worth the trouble except as a train station simulator mini-game in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loopoo posted:

I wouldn't recommend getting mods at the very beginning. I played a few vanilla games and then got mods that I felt would suit me well.

I've gotten fully back into the swing of this game and it's amazing. RSO is brilliant. I'm a bit scared though cause I've only got about 100,000 stone and I can't seem to find any other deposits. I want to build one huge enclosing wall to protect my base as biter nests spawn so sporadically and come from all directions. Then I have to worry about being able to build enough rails to actually let my trains get to any new stone deposits I find.

I'm eventually going to have to build a brand new, huge smelting facility to keep up with production. It's great.

I've messed around with trains a good while ago. Is there a reason from a productivity perspective why multiple belts wouldn't be more efficient and easier to manage?