Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh god, they're going to re-write the entire strings library to cut down on compile times. https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-115

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXwutv0yy8

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Moddington posted:

Probably easiest to just console command it:
code:
/c game.player.insert { name='iron-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='copper-plate', count=1000 }
/c game.player.insert { name='stone', count=200 }

god bless you

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm surprised that no one has made a single-tile automatic belt balancing device, like a splitter balancer except in one lil' nugget.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Demiurge4 posted:

Bob's Mod's are concentrated sperg, holy poo poo. So many intermediate steps but at least it dumps a bunch of complexity on you once you've gotten bored of the base game.

I have described Factorio as 'candied Asperger's Syndrome'

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What a lovely little trailer. So welcoming!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm waiting for trains

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
You can synthesize synthetic wood from oil.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It definitely needs constraints of some sort. Maybe if it only loads and unloads logistic chests?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't built anything big enough to benefit from trains yet, so my opinions on them may not be worth much, but you know what I'd like to see? More varied and capable railcars. I'm envisioning a mobile construction train crewed by bots in roboport cars, supplied by provider cars, defended by turret cars, and controlled by a logic car that can give the train directions like

1. Drive forward as far as you can.
2. Build this blueprint, centered on this car.
3. Repeat if able.

Automating the expansion of factories seems like a pretty natural extension of the automation we've already got, and I'd love to see the pave-the-world plans people would come up with.

Seconding for roboport cars, turret cars, and logistic cargo wagons

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Have you seen MangledPork's LivingWithBiters LP?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Someone mod in a single-tile perfect balancer already, argh

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Travic posted:

Oh god I can't stop playing Factorio. The main problem I'm having is my factory is curling in on itself and getting...untidy. Is there any way to remove lots of structures quickly so I can re-organize?

Yes. Get powered armor with portable roboports, and run amok with construction robots, deconstructing everything. You'll need to make a lot of boxes to put everything in first, mind you.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm just waiting for a mod that replaces the player character sprite with classic Doctor Robotnik from sonic 1, and then we will truly have video games'd.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

GotLag posted:

Sadly there's no API train event associated with gates, so I'd have to be constantly polling trains, determining location, and searching for nearby gates.

What about the gate? Can you make the GATE make the toot?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
^^^^- we're all so helpful

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't understand what's happening there. I see the input and output, but can't figure out why that works.

These depend on side-loading the output of an underground belt. Let's say an underground belt is outputting to the east, and the output tile is being loaded from the north by another belt. The western side of the northern belt is blocked by the output port of the underground belt, so it can't get on. The eastern side, however, is not blocked, so its contents can be loaded in. This can be used to filter out one side of a belt.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Loopoo posted:

They call it Autism Simulator :(

Well they're not wrong. Sweet sweet candied autism

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Make it smaller.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Solumin posted:

How many red circuit assemblers do you all end up making? They're used everywhere, but man do they take so many resources to make. Or is that the kind of thing you just make locally and don't worry about shipping around your factory?

Last time I had like 20 running full bore, drinking green circuits and plastic and exhaling red circuits.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'd do the toxic forest iff I also started play with a couple construction drones.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Baloogan posted:

I'm really pleased how this turned out

What am I looking at here?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm interested to see how you do your green chip production. I thought stack size only applied to storage-to-storage transfers.

You think correctly!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Renegret, your icon is the loving best thing I've seen all day

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

How do you guys set up your train unloading?

Six Stack Inserters on each side of each wagon shoveling directly in to Logistic Active Provider chests, with the entire train stop surrounded by plentiful Logistic Storage chests and robo-ports to keep the lil' helpers fueled. The robo ports at the train shouldn't be connected to the larger logistic network; they should be focused 100% on shoveling poo poo out of the train and in to the logistic storage chests, and from the logistic storage in to Logistic Requesters that'll fill belts of materials going away from the train stop.

To be honest, that's kind of overkill most of the time, but it's the ideal.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

So I found this picture, I assume that's basically what you're talking about?
Yes.

Azhais posted:

Is there any good way to load balance the unloading stations?
Yes: don't bother. Maybe down the line you can balance the different lanes but don't worry about it at the train station.

Azhais posted:

Can you just name all 4 lanes in this example "offload" and the trains will just go to the first open one?
Yes.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Yeah, the storage chests are only necessary if you're pulling in resources from outposts faster than you process them. But, I mean, wouldn't you want that?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Baloogan posted:

!bienvenidos a mi granja de drogas!

Nice grow op bro

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

Yeah, there's nothing quite like walking into a factorissimo with 96 electric smelters and watching those little guys go

Oh my god. *furiously writing this down*

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Nullkigan posted:

Whatr's the point of the super-short underground belts vs surface ones in that super-smelter?

The ore-to-be-smelted is pulled off the blue belt; the metal-that-has-been-smelted is pushed on to the red belt. Using red and blue undergrounds lets you interleave in a helix like that. If you just had the one belt you wouldn't be able to mix like that.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I am mostly looking forward to them implementing rail tankers in a way that both enables the Full/Empty flags and doesn't let inserters pluck oil out of the tank

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I've been playing with AutoFill and Long Reach and it's amazing how much they combine to trivialize the biters. You drop down thirty turrets in their base and they instantly start unloading their magazines and three seconds later, everything is dead.

Is there any way to mod turrets so that it takes them a few seconds to become 'live' after they're deployed? If it took one or two seconds for them to deploy - or, for a long-reach situation, ten to fifteen seconds - then you could have the convenience of AutoFill without being able to use turrets as instant-deploy killbots.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ratzap posted:

I'll skip the obvious solution of "just don't do that then" and move straight to plan B. Unpack autofill, edit it to not fill turrets, repack it and use that.

Well yeah I could obviously just not do that but in this playthrough I don't really care about struggling mightily against the biters. I'm more curious about whether my idea - turrets having an activation delay - is even possible. I don't know anything else in the game that isn't fully active the second you put it down.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Seems like the 'best' way to deal with the greenhouse would be to have two smart inserters pulling from each greenhouse, one pulling wood and one pulling saplings, and pushing them on to separate lanes of the belt. Confirm/deny?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Solumin posted:

Someone on the forums pointed out the two parallel pipes on the right. Maybe they're integrating the fixed pipes from GotLag's Flow Control mod?

God, I hope so. That's such a basic feature.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

Yeah, the only thing I do manually with blueprints instead of making farl do it is intersections and ore stations.

Hell, there's no good reason not to just make farl lay down your solar farms while you're at it

I suspect that the devs intend to supplant FARL with their 'give equipment grids to vehicles' update. A train with an onboard supply of constructor robots and robo-ports to recharge them - especially if it can recharge them by burning on-board fuel instead of depending on personal fusion or miniature solar panels - would be a fine replacement for the FARL.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Power Walrus posted:

I'm starting a new map with RSO and Factorissimo enabled. What I've read about RSO is that I'll be setting up lots of distant resourcing operations, and bringing them back to the central smelting / main bus. Do you all like to have a central factory, or is it better/easier/more fun to have multiple factory campuses?

Depends how much fun you have with train shenanigans, really.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Power Walrus posted:

Yeah, I suppose asking what is 'fun' is sort of ridiculous. I guess I'm more interested in building up a huge river of copper and iron, and then producing everything off that. Setting up a big rail network that delivers ore will be a new thing for me.

One piece of advice I can offer - you're probably going to want to use a separate logistic robot network just for your ore-intake train station. Have two or three separate 'omni-depots' with the same name where cargo wagons can get unloaded by stack inserters directly in to active provider chests; your logistic robots will instantly gobble all that up and dump it to storage. Don't mix this logistic network with the main logistic network for your base; instead, have the robots dump to requester chests that unload to belts using stack inserters, and let those belts carry ore to your smelter complex.

The loader station should likewise have six stack inserters loading from either side if you can swing it, but you probably don't need to stress about fine-tuning that end as much; if you have two trains dedicated to any given mining site, the bottleneck on ore extraction will probably be the electric miners.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
How hard would it be to include a nuclear powered train that goes terrifyingly, unreasonably fast, but SCRAMS if it stops for more than like six seconds?

Edit: Also, is there any efficient way to strip the modules out of machines and replace them without clicking in to each one individually?

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 14, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Renegret posted:

OH YEAH well I use the circuit network to turn oil cracking on and off as needed :colbert:

easily one of the best uses of it in-game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Sage Grimm posted:

I greatly underestimated the level of research required after blue gets set up to reach the missile silo and launch. Also underestimated steel production..again. Made it to the 15 hours achievement with no issue but nowhere near the 8 hour one.

Ah well, time to dick around with trains and logi-bots at a massive scale.

I need to set up some sort of elegant system for expanding my Solar Power arrays, because right now I'm just shuttling back and forth between the array and my factory and letting my bots build it.