Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I tried the demo of this on my laptop a long long time ago and it ran like such crap I wrote it off. I tried it again the other night and was surprised to be getting 60+ fps. So kudos to the devs for that kind of optimization.

Is there anything important I should know before starting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LtSmash posted:

You are probably going to build things and then later realize you did it badly. If it works resist the urge to tear it down and rebuild (or worse start a new map) and instead just build your improved version too. Space and resources are effectively infinite and if you tear something out to improve it you don't get any use out of it while you are rebuilding. If its something important like iron smelting you might really regret tearing it down when you run out of iron before you get your new smelting setup working.

When you get to oil give yourself a lot of room. No more than that. Oil takes up a lot of space since pipes are a lot more finicky than belts. Its easy to end up with it as a major bottleneck in your factory and that sucks if you didn't give yourself any room to expand it.

After you play a bit check out the keybindings in options. There are a lot of handy things that aren't really explained.

Other than that I suggest not looking at guides or stuff too much to start. Mechanics tutorials like how to make trains work are a fine idea but just looking up optimal builds or downloading someone else's blueprints is missing a lot of the fun.

And yeah the devs are crazy about optimization and fixing bugs. If you want the nitty gritty they talk about what and why in their dev blog a lot.

Thanks that sounds like the kind of advice I was looking for.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Are remote railroad tracks and electrical poles safe from biters?

Is it just stuff that makes noise or pollution that they attack? Stuff like Belts and pipes(?)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Canuckistan posted:

I need to learn how to do circuits. I tried to make a simple circuit that would store X number of items in a chest and move anything > X onto a belt. It should be dirt simple but i couldn't figure it out myself. Time to watch some more youtube vidyas.

You can kinda do this without circuits by using the red X

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Fluid pressure a thing in this game? And does it matter if I build my storage tanks closer to my pumpjacks, or my chemical plant?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm about 50 hours in (restarted sandbox a few times) and I just unlocked tanks for the first time.

My god. This is loving amazing. It's like going back to a previous areas in an RPG and just making GBS threads on everything that gave you trouble before

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

xzzy posted:

Grenades are great, there should be an option to swap out the machine gun on the car for a grenade launcher and get more range (yes I know there's mods to upgrade cars).

Best at clearing forests, best for drive by attacks.

Yeah this game could really use a grenade launcher range upgrade. Even if they are only vehicle-mounted. Grenade launcher turrets would be awesome too.

As for turrets, I replaced all my gun turrets with laser turrets as soon as I was able to, gently caress that ammo consumption rate

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How do I get logistics robots to deliver specific resource to a specific chest? Is that even possible? I feel like i'm missing something obvious here.

I want to set up a new rail line to deliver stone but all my coal is going to be on the other side of my base.

edit: Nevermind, Apparently I just don't have the tech required yet

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 14, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's a very, very good idea to combine your defenses. For fire turrets you want some overlap in their firing arcs with some normal and/or laser turrets nearby. No one turret type is perfect.

Is there any reason to keep use gun turrets when you have laser though? Lasers have longer range and most importantly, don't consume resources to fire except electricity

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

xzzy posted:

Gun turrets have better dps compared to lasers, but less range. Lasers shoot a lot slower.

Flames are better than both in terms of range and damage, but have their own quirks for usage (they still need the other turrets around to mop up).

edit - this is a really hard to read spreadsheet, but someone did the math showing how guns dominate lasers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1phTGV3hAlkaMahOZdyfes1BeXoJPYjk6J1W_sn6K_g4/edit#gid=0

Interesting. I guess it makes sense gun turrets should be better considering the upkeep

drunken officeparty posted:

I bought this months ago and just yesterday got around to playing. I think I might be retarded because my poo poo is so inefficient it's not even funny. I spent like 3 hours loving around on level 2 of the campaign before realizing all the broken train tracks and stuff that were already there might have been useful and I shouldn't have just demolished everything.

No joke it took me like 20+ hours to get through that campaign. My initial iron patch ran out and I was shuttling iron ores in my car to get enough steel to fix the railroad in that mission. I'm really glad I stuck through to learn the game, its great. It's almost like a city builder in that there's always something to fiddle around with, either to make it look nicer/neater or make it more efficient

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 14, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Collateral Damage posted:

Though I'm not sure Factorio even uses Steam Cloud for savegames in the first place.

It does, I switch between my laptop and PC all the time

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

drunken officeparty posted:

Won't destroying a chest put the items back in your inventory?

No. Make sure you are shooting it (default is C I think) and not right clicking on the chest which picks it and its contents up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man there is no stone ANYWHERE in my current world. I had a starting 230k stone deposit but even with 10 radars running since I pretty much started I still haven't found a second one anywhere.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oxyclean posted:

This cheat sheet is what I used for setting up my signals:

I try to stick strictly to having single direction rails, saves me a ton of headaches.

I just want to say thanks for this. Finally got a decent rail system going :toot:

Kind of makes me want to play TTD now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Quoting this post from another thread:

Count Roland posted:

I've been playing Factorio, a game that started out good in early access and was slowly but steadily improved upon until 1.0. This year there is a free 2.0 version coming out, with a large number of qol improvements, along with a paid expansion pack with many more features. All this stuff is thoroughly documented in a weekly blog. It really seems like the devs have thought of everything.

So I guess I'll keep playing that.

What's this about Factorio 2.0 being free? I know the space expansion is coming out and will be a paid DLC, but are they making the base game free? Or just the update? Can you still play multiplayer with the free version?