Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Inverness posted:

I bought this game yesterday after watching this nice beginner's guide series on youtube.

"I'll play this game for awhile before I go to bed" turned into "I need to stop I have to get up for work in 4 hours"

Note that it is for 0.12 so there will be some differences all the way through. Its a pretty good guide though.

I have the same issue with staying up way too late. It hits all the right spots for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Wait, is that what I keep seeing in screenshots? I thought it was some random mod I hadn't found.

edit: I finally got into blue science and holy poo poo has my ore usage sky rocketed. This game is satisfying so much for me I wish I had known about it sooner.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 31, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I thought it was 48 per belt for full compression (stone/yellow and steel/red).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Right, that's what I said (sans the blue belt).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Wiki.factorio.com is the official and good wiki.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Going through the tips the fist time you launch up the game has some decent things to know, too.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
For the next week

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You can do that in chests?! Well gently caress me sideways for never trying that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

gently caress biters trees

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

trees are just an immobile type of biter :colbert:

but yeah i was basically driving tanks through entire forests because i couldn't be arsed to go around them

I can't wait to be doing this. I use the tinystart mod just so I can destruct trees immediately, it saves so much loving time. I'm finally sticking with a game through blue science, so tank smash is right around the corner.

I play peaceful though because the biter aspect of the game does not interest me. Maybe once I launch a rocket I'll give biters another go.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah grenades are definitely good. I use those over the bots after researching as it goes way quicker and I don't have far too much wood from collecting it all.

I'm figuring out trains now, and just in time: my initial iron patch is very low. After playing with switches a bit I'm excited to expand my initial single rail line into a monstrosity.

edit: had my first complete power loss after forgetting to add more coal miners. That was good to alt-tab back to.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Don't tear down. Build in a new spot. You will want your original factory to keep producing until it's replaced.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
How do you keep the burner inserters fed if there's a power loss? I don't think I've used a burner inserter since my first game, so I'm not too familiar with loading approaches.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They don't use any electricity at all. They load themselves with any fuel that they can reach. That makes them perfect for feeding boilers -- they pick up some coal from the belt and stuff it into themselves first, then they use the power generated by that to feed the boiler.

They're really slow, and inefficient, but they're great for mitigating the cascading failure scenario caused by insufficient power.

Oh, they load themselves?! I thought you had to have something else feeding them, or manually refuel over time. That makes them way more useful than I thought (at least for boilers).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

The Evil Thing posted:

If you suffer prolonged coal shortages then they may eventually run out of power and have no way of fuelling themselves, even when the coal supply returns.

Yeah, I might start going with a small dedicated power plant for coal miners to help that. Obvious it can still fail in the same manner, but prioritizing fuel to that plant would help a lot.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Doesn't seem like it would be too much work, really. It wouldn't need to be a big plant. The priority balancer might be overkill but I haven't had a reason to play around with them yet.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Hint: you need more of everything

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I am close to spooling up blue circuit and module production for my first time. I was waiting until I found a copper patch as that was about to run dry and finally found one that's a minute train ride out.

Can't wait for it to be not enough. It's the only copper patch I have found so far, while iron/stone/coal are plentiful.

Setting up my train system has been very enjoyable. Looking forward to building it out even more and adding circuitry to pickup stations.

I think my next big push will be nuclear power. I haven't touched it yet. What are some hot takes on getting started with it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Oodles posted:

Yet I still struggle with how the inserters place the items onto which side of the belt.

The wiki has a good section on this.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

something i've figured out recently is when you have crappy modular armor and barely any batteries/power production, you frequently run out of power when doing a lot of construction bot stuff

when the bots are flying around you trying to recharge, you can right click them to pick them up, and they'll immediately redeploy with a full charge

This would have been super useful before I got the fusion reactor.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

If you want to go straight in a cardinal direction for placing a line of something quickly, pick up your vehicle, place it, and rotate it to the right direction before getting in. Once you're in, only accelerate and brake; never turn.

Well that's handy! There's also a mod that forces vehicles to "snap" to angles: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Zaflis/VehicleSnap

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Q8ee posted:

That mod is loving awesome. I also got a Pavement Assist mod that is a researchable tech. Let's you activate a cruise control mode that makes the vehicle you're in automatically follow paved paths. Gives me a reason to start making highways now! The vehicle cargowagon is also amazing, I'm using my car so much more often now.

Oh dang that mod sounds awesome. Will it stick to the same type of paving? So if I have a concrete "road" on some stone it will stick to the concrete?

edit: looks like it! Definitely picking that up when I get home.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It should be safe. I think it's the /c commands that kill achievements.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Node posted:

Just build lots and be happy that you can build lots?

Is there anything else to do in this game?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Need a non-infinite recharging speed tech.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Why not let it be infinite? Just more expensive than speed alone.

Same reason science speed isn't infinite, you eventually reach a point where charging takes essentially 0 seconds. For game play reasons I think it makes sense to cap it in the same way.

It was surprising to me that worker speed is infinite since the rest of the speed bonus research is capped.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

So as bot speed increases to have 0 travel time you think 0 recharge time is also a bad thing?

I'll again point out that worker robot speed is the only time-related tech that's infinite. I imagine there's more than just "instant recharge would be broken" as a reason for the cap, but for me that's a strong reason to keep it this way (much like research and weapon speed).

Bots also never get to "0 travel time"; that would imply teleportation and would probably get you most of the way towards "instance recharge" simply by virtue of no travel time anywhere. edit: okay sure yeah its infinite science, but I think its inconceivable you'd ever research it far enough to get even close to "teleportation" speeds.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

As long as the research is '+recharge speed %' then the charging is never infinite either, just slowly edging towards single-frame times. +Miner Productivity can be argued to be a 'speed' tech, since at L700ish every miner can individually fill a blue belt.

I'd forgotten about miner productivity. I like their decision (or lack of? who knows!) to keep bot charging limited. I guess its a good thing I don't design games for a living?

quote:

If it were up to me, virtually every tech would be infinite in some way. Logistic slots! Inventory slots! Power armor grid size! Assembler Productivity! Assembler Speed! Assembler Effectivity, why not! Once you're really attacking the Infinite techs in a meaningful way, the game is pretty much at 'sandbox' level anyway, why not let us have some fun?

Infinite slot expansion would be a UI nightmare I imagine.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

UI problem is solved already, by way of Infinite Trash Slots: add a scroll bar :eng101:

Yeah its just that easy. Scroll bars everywhere.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I guess factorio also has the fortune of a relatively small set of things that could fill those slots. I sometimes go straight to extremes and was thinking of 9000 slots paginated by a scroll bar showing the 40 items at time it currently does. But that's a non issue here so yeah I want it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Galvanik posted:

How large are the distances between things in RSA? I'm finally getting tired of having enough resources nearby to build rockets with only short trips. Plus I feel compelled to mine up everything before I build, because otherwise I wouldn't be completely extracting every resource, so that limits the speed of my expansion :suicide:

Also how is the biter nest density? The first couple playthroughs I did I'd end up getting discouraged at the late game since whenever I started to expand it would just be a solid endless wall of red. So eventually I just started doing peaceful mode, or very low density. I'm expecting nukes to go a long way to alleviating that in a normal game, but when thinking about RSA I have this horrible mental image of driving for 10 minutes in one direction, grinding through tens of thousands of biters and not finding anything to mine.

Do you mean RSO? It includes a custom spawning algorithm that's enabled by default which I think operates like the ore patches: once you start getting really far out they aren't necessarily more common, just much more dense. Using the rail world scenario makes them even more spread out.

As for not expanding until you mine it out... you'll still drain the first one! Just slower, while you keep your throughput up with extra sources by rail.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there something wrong with peaceful mode, btw? I'm on .15 and still my first map, but I could've sworn I turned on peaceful mode, yet I'm getting attacked by biters and they're expanding steadily all around me. Does the pollution reaching their bases count as me "attacking" them or something?

Yes, pollution is the biggest trigger for an attack. There's nothing wrong with peaceful, I played my first month and a half on peaceful until I was more comfortable with the game. Now I play with RSO and keep them on low so the weapon tech is actually useful on some level. With them on low in a rail world I can get a pretty big factory before pollution usually triggers them due to distance (also use a Very Big starting area).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
There a mod called creative mods that provides all of that, and more! Combine with creative world for a great way to play with things.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Here's another dumb question.. Can you undefine a keybind? I have a couple of mods that have keybindings I'm never going to use and I'd rather have them unbound than accidentally hit them and wondering what the heck I just did.

No, you have to set it to some awkward binding usually involving Ctrl, alt and shift.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Pollution isn't the only cause for attack after a point, i think, so you still need turrets to protect it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They only explicitly attack due to pollution, but biters will send little parties out to build new biter bases, and it's very likely that they'll path into your walls. When I fan out and eliminate all the biters near my pollution cloud, I usually run power poles out and drop radars everywhere, and every once in a while a biter excursion group will mook one of the power poles, because they could see it.

Ah, that's it. So if you have expansion off you only have to worry about pollution?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

This is a great mod. There's another that will follow stone/concrete paths that's a good addition, though I cannot recall the name and I'm phone posting.

edit: this one https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Arcitos/PavementDriveAssist

necrotic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 22, 2017

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Also, is this planner looking thingy accurate and such?

Looks accurate based on science recipes.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I might look into that one now. I'm in the process of moving to a rail/bot only setup and it looks interesting. Is it pretty simple to use? I only glanced at the docs so far and it seemed like a lot going on, but it looked like mostly data for the network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

uPen posted:

It's very simple. You setup depots where your train idles and then requested and provider stations. You tell the station what it is, what it wants and what it has using a single constant combinator for each stop. Once it's running your train system basically works like a bot network with trains being automatically dispatched to fill requests on demand.

Awesome. I'm definitely going to check this out for real later tonight.