Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

LonsomeSon posted:

The range on a flamethrower is limited basically only by fuel supply and pressure; while video games seem to have convinced most folks that flamethrowers are short-ranged weapons (and also that 'short-ranged' means 'practically arm's reach'), and it's certainly true that man-portable flamethrowers are fairly limited by comparison, a vehicle- or static-mounted unit could well be capable of terrifying range. According to my understanding, anyway, I'm not a fire-projection technician or anything.

Really I want to set up enormous batteries of just flamethrower turrets. I don't give a poo poo about their range or effectiveness, nothing says THIS IS MY WORLD NOW like a dozen overlapping streams of incandescent fury :black101:

Jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

It's working for me, but here are the images:

Oh man, these are badass.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Zetsubou-san posted:

nah, that's easy mode. I prefer to slice my space whale

http://i.imgur.com/VHZBUt9.gifv

I was happy enough grinding down the cheerful gremlin creatures, but the space whale one made me acutely uncomfortable. It's too real man, too real!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Modded Minecraft is badass. Find a curated and pre-assembled mod pack though - it's not worth the effort to assemble your own. It scratches the same mental itch as Factorio.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Factorio mobile:
- Tilt phone to move characters/vehicles!
- To save battery, make it a thin client that connects to your PC. Your meaty desktop runs a multiplayer server that your phone connects to!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Anyone have a mirror of the notes? Looks like the original post got deleted.

Someone managed to copy the original before it was deleted.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

How do you make the mental adjustment to go from one factory using a standard and lovely bus, to multiple factories connected by trains and poo poo? I get intimidated when scaling up and don't know how to make that transition.

Alternatively, how do you go from making boring bus factories to complicated, holy-poo poo-how-does-this-even-work spaghetti factories?

I feel like I fall into a rut making busses, and want to break out of that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Made the mistake of tearing down my entire factory so that I could rebuild it nicer. Now all my assemblers and belts are in neat little chests, and I don't actually have a clear plan for rebuilding nicely ;_;

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Solumin posted:

Do not destroy the old messy one until the new one is complete.

I cannot emphasize this enough.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

emoji posted:

Making something by parsing the game assets (still very early)

Neat! What are you planning to do with it?

Are blueprint strings just a base64-encoded blob of something?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah but I'm specifically thinking about the early early game, when I just want to plunk down enough to fire one pump's worth of boilers and walk away but I don't want to over-build miners considering I'm doing most/all of it by hand.

I go with 1:1 miner:burner. This assumes each burner is connected to the maximum number (2) of boilers, and means that all boilers can work at 100% capacity without running out of coal. You could theoretically scale down the number of miners based on your average power load (e.g. 4 burners at 75% average capacity will need 3 miners), but that's fiddly and annoying, and you'll need the extra coal sooner rather than later as your factory grows.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I'm amazed and saddened that a megafactory run entirely by bots performs better than one using belts.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

At this point I realized that I could probably use more than one miner for iron. Imagine my shock as the full weight of my folly hit me like a frying pan to the face.

Holy poo poo, you must have the patience of a saint.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

For me this change may not be game breaking but heart breaking. It completely makes the game not fun for me, which saddens me a lot.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:raise:

your enjoyment of the game is based on belt compression?

I exclusively registered on the forums to report this as well.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

Most of it is about belts but the conclusion is a pretty definitive "we want to nerf bots". They will either remove the research for increased bot carrying capacity or increase charging time. I would be ok with either or even both tbh but the concept of a "stack belt" sounds pretty great and I would love to see it happen. I agree with their overall premise that belts are much more interesting than bots, I love bots but it just removes all the challenge from the game if you switch to using nothing but bot swarms.

Either of these nerfs can be easily worked around simply by building more bots and/or roboports.

Adding hitboxes and collision detection to logistics bots might be interesting. It would certainly remove the UPS benefits of bots, and would probably make bots less useful for bulk items.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Hello, just want to say gently caress oil, gently caress pipes, gently caress fluid processing, and gently caress anything that uses chemical plants or assembly machine 3s with fluid inputs. That is all.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Nice.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ionn posted:

• At the mining outposts, I leave a few useful supplies so they can heal from biter attacks (repair packs, turrets, walls, power poles, whatever else might get damaged). The thing is, I generally get that kind of stuff from having them in my logistics slots. So when I leave a bunch of those things, the bots immediately replenish my inventory from that supply and I just can't get rid of them. So whenever I set an outpost up, I have to either lower the limits for all those things in the logistics slots (which is tedious), remember to have extra on my train (which I always forget something), or stick the supplies in a steel chest and replace it with a storage chest from outside logistics network range before I leave (which is utterly stupid). A thing that would fix all of it would be if I could somehow enable/disable the "personal logistics" per network, and then have it essentially only be enabled at any production bases and not mining outposts. Is such a thing possible?

How do you resupply outposts? Could you use that method, and just accept that the new outpost will be low on supplies for a bit?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Py's is (or will be) more complex at some point soon. Py has really great graphics and some decent ideas but his way of 'balancing' mean "make it super tedious and annoying".
Bobs/Angel is changing too as the Angels author wants to cut the Bobs ties in the future and fill out his own bits.
Bobs will be adding some in the future but appears mostly content to polish and balance what he has.
Xanders mod is fairly new and still needs a great deal of work but it's complexity/realism blows Bobs/Angels out of the water.
Anonymods is another nice complete revamp with pretty good complexity but won't be released to 0.16 until it's the offical stable version.
AAI adds onto Bobs/Angels but isn't that much extra. Mostly adds vehicles and programming thereof.
NPutils is like Youki with a tech tree.
5dim is a complete revamp but it just doesn't do it for me honestly, I prefer Bobs.
Hardcorio:SC2 is a revamp that turns it into a survival game. Sort of. Would be nice to try MP sometime.

And on top of these there are a few Bobs clones/hacks floating about - they pretty much all suck. Plus there are tons of pre-packaged mod sets that try to smush everything together into one big unholy poo poo pile - avoid these. They proliferate though because the Russians (for whatever reason) always pop up in any revamp mod thread asking 'Is this Bobs/Angels compatible?' which leads to someone releasing their hacked up pack.

Jesus Christ. This isn't Minecraft, where you can combine tech mods willy nilly. No one's going to play all of this poo poo.

... and how does Yuoki compare?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

BabelFish posted:

Left hand drive with two rails

You're doing God's work, son. I can never get my head around RHD tracks.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Finally launched a rocket, netting myself Lazy bastard, Logistic network embargo, Raining bullets, and Steam all the way. Not being able to use logistic bots was surprisingly annoying and meant I had to manually run around keeping pillboxes supplied with ammo, run some nasty belts to ship in materials for rare items, etc.

I last played in 0.12 or 0.13, back when the victory condition was to build the rocket defense and the most complicated science pack was blue science. The biggest difference is holy poo poo, you need so much more iron for midgame science. There are also a couple more annoying recipes that require you to ship materials to odd places contrary to the usual 'flow' of resources (think of things like concrete needing iron ore, liquid processing needing iron and coal, ...).

Never bothered messing around with nuclear power, only did lovely point-to-point trains for some resources, and massively undersized my bus.

Biters are still boring to deal with and way too numerous, even with tanks and artillery. Artillery is fun though.

For my next game, I'm torn between either doing a rail-heavy game (maybe with some QOL or other minor mods), or Seablock. What sort of settings are good for a railworld? Is vanilla terrain generation good enough for BIG TRAIN GAME, or is RSO still needed?

Also, why aren't there nuclear artillery shells?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Our CTO once claimed we had nine 9's reliability.

Later that year, we blew our nine 9's budget for the next few thousand years.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Sillybones posted:

Is there any sort of ETA for the next big version?

I get the feeling the next version is going to be 1.0, so I think they're really trying to polish everything off ready for a big release.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Are you close to the tank? The tank is v. good in midgame. Ignore its main cannon; just use its machine gun with red ammo. It shreds bases and biters real good.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

I started a normal map and I'm wondering when bugs start spawning.

Just keep playing. You'll find out sooner or later (unless you've set your game to peaceful mode).

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Squibbles posted:

Enjoy it while you can, next release they are dropping the bonus machine gun damage for the tank so it'll have to rely on shells again

I'm quite sad about this nerf, to be honest.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

No puns, because I don't think some of the most absurd nuclear devices in history really warrant any.
Project Orion
Project Pluto

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

BadMedic posted:

Don't forget about my absolute favourite, Project PACER
Actually someone should mod that into the game, a nuclear reactor that runs on bombs.

:eyepop:

It's amazing how easily you could get funding back in the day for thinking of a new way of continually blowing up nukes.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Beautiful and elegant.

e: I'd have to run an 8-to-7 balancer because those belts look ever-so-slightly not fully compressed, and it offends the 'tism.

redleader fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 6, 2019

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

im glad the quality stuff has distinctive icons for each level, because for the life of me i cannot remember how all the colours relate to each other

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

did they even have purple/yellow science in 2016?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

We make power by boiling sulfuric acid, obviously.

sulfuric acid + coal. creates co2 and sulfur

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the real scary thought is "what are modders going to do with the new circuit capabilities?"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the roboport logistics range nearly destroyed me irl. i can't imagine how he felt

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Xerol posted:

I could swear he's done an MSP run before but it doesn't seem to be in his videos, maybe I'm just misremembering someone else's run. It would certainly be up his alley.

DocJade recently did a run with Science Pack Galore

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Teledahn posted:

Here, let me post a weird video I just saw to get our minds off whatever the gently caress that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N191JgMkVyY

"Oh it's just a Factorio train city block video." Yes, but those are belts. What madness is this.

dosh please. dosh. i'm begging you

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

K8.0 posted:

It's 1:1. It makes Spidertrons the most expensive item in the game to truly automate.

especially because you can only launch up to 12 at a time (from a maxed stack inserter), instead of a full stack of 100

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

Can you insert with multiple inserters simultaneously using a funky circuit network setup?

not sure. i got that factoid from the reddit thread, and they said they tried all sorts of stuff to try to get it to launch more than 12 at a time. given that that's an obvious thing to try, i'd assume that they gave it a shot and couldn't get it to work. but i haven't tried myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

forking the game to save it in the background is a very linux-brained thing to do