Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I might need to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I know a lot of the other changes are bigger, but a personal roboport sounds amazing.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've never messed with mods. Has anyone made a load balancer part? Something you could just place inline with the belt seems like it'd be handy as hell.

Also, since putting it on the bus is apparently the wrong move, what's the preferred way to handle copper coil?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a good detailed oil tutorial? My oil setup always feels sloppy and probably bottlenecked in twelve ways I'm not even aware of.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Do we know anything about what the space station stuff is supposed to actually include? Like, is it just more land to work with or what?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Slickdrac posted:

Did they do a blag on that? First I've heard of that.

Here you go.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo guys, have you always been able to control pumps when they're connected to circuit networks, or is that a new thing (along with putting storage tanks in the circuit network)?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that in the changelog.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I've never used the inline pipes. Does running them serially or in parallel improve their throughput?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Never messed with mods, so I don't know if this exists, but I just had an idea: roboport train car. It'd be especially neat if you could make it repeatedly preform a task, like "lay down tracks as far ahead as you can, then move to the end of the line.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ego Trip posted:

I believe that the items on them existed in the world and the belts just moved them.

That's my understanding as well. I think the change was mostly for performance reasons, but it also had implications for how items move on belts, especially regarding the effects corners have on item spacing within lanes and relative positions across lanes.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 28, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sillybones posted:

I just quit as I hit up against that. It is quite a roadblock.

Yeah, same here. I don't find fluid management fun at all. I keep meaning to try one of those mods that lets you put any liquid into drums to avoid big pipe networks.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Applewhite posted:

In multiplayer, is it possible for players to make war on each other?

Follow up:
This game needs ICBMs

Someone mentioned earlier that players can be put on different teams using console commands.

What the game really needs is more automation when it comes to combat. My (well, somebody's) factory can churn out hundreds of tanks per minute, yet I've got to climb in one myself to go plink away at biters.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lack of Gravitas posted:

i don't know why you need to build rocket defences when you can just encircle your base with murder machines

Do spitters attack trains? Could you actually make a train that's just shy of a complete loop and set it to chasing its tail until you tell it to stop? I've never gotten around to trains, so I don't know much about them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ModeSix posted:

That would be a mighty looonnnnggg train.

Why not just play in peaceful mode?

I usually do. I'm just curious whether it'd actually work.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't built anything big enough to benefit from trains yet, so my opinions on them may not be worth much, but you know what I'd like to see? More varied and capable railcars. I'm envisioning a mobile construction train crewed by bots in roboport cars, supplied by provider cars, defended by turret cars, and controlled by a logic car that can give the train directions like

1. Drive forward as far as you can.
2. Build this blueprint, centered on this car.
3. Repeat if able.

Automating the expansion of factories seems like a pretty natural extension of the automation we've already got, and I'd love to see the pave-the-world plans people would come up with.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

Unfortunately your mining drills are still subject to brownouts.

I just started my first new game in a while, and I have a somewhat inefficient plan to avoid this. I'm relying on burner miners to power my steam engines. My setup is arranged in two rows. The back row is made up of pairs of burner miners feeding directly into each other. Each of these miners has a burner inserter pulling from it and feeding a miner in the front row, which empties onto a belt that runs past the boilers, which are also fed by burner inserters. It's not hugely scalable or environmentally friendly, but it does run independently of the power grid.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to setup a second, very small steam engine? ~3 boilers and 1 steam engine will be enough to power 4-5 electric mining drills. Divert some of the coal to the boilers using a splitter, and send the rest of the coal to your main power plant. I usually get by with only 1-3 electric mining drills feeding ~40 boilers, so 4-5 should be sufficient. You just have to make sure the power network stays independent of your main network and you'll be golden.

:doh: Yeah, that does sound better.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Anyone know how well this game runs on lower-power Skylake systems? I think I'm getting an i5 NUC soon, and while I'm not getting it for games, I might play on there once in a while if it runs okay.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
You know what would be great? Fully underground pipes, complete with underground attachment to buildings. It wouldn't make the fluid mechanics any less opaque, but at least it'd be out of the way.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is there a way to transfer items from your inventory / in-hand directly to a belt, or do you have to put stuff in a chest and have an inserter offload it?

Press z to drop a selected item.

Edit: works just fine in the Steam version.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Indecisive posted:

I wish there were actual smart splitters that could just move one product to one side every time without wierd janky tricks like that

Agreed. I appreciate the clever belt tricks, but I'd really prefer there just be an actual part for it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't understand what's happening there. I see the input and output, but can't figure out why that works.

Items on a belt running into the side of an underground entrance like that will only proceed on the lane of the belt closer to the "taller" bit of the entrance; the other lane is blocked.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SinineSiil posted:

I understand how first one works but could someone explain how second one works? How are items seemingly moving diagonally?

If you mean what I think you mean by moving diagonally, it's not.

It's doing this: , not this:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does staking out territory with lone power poles still keep biters from setting up shop in the vicinity?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What I want is a continuous beam turret that can start fires.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What about a part two tiles long that sits inline with a belt and swaps the left and right sides of the belt? Like an underground belt entrance and exit where belted items exit on the opposite side of the belt.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Does the shorter animation translate to side inserters having higher throughput?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What are the space platforms ultimately for? I assume the rockets send supplies back and forth, but what's up there to get? Are there going to be special materials that enable new crafting? Is it just a way to keep part of your base away from biters? Or are there space biters?

I get that specifics are scarce, but have the developers said where they see that part of the game going?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't know anything about Factorio modding, but would it be possible to create a miner with a variable footprint? I'm picturing placement being something like how walls or pipes work, where adjacent structures lump together, so you could just lay down tiles of this miner building over each ore location and then specify an output point. Energy consumption, output, and maybe number of output points could be based on how many tiles the aggregate covers.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zomborgon posted:

Perhaps they could make the laser turret damage occur faster, maybe at light speed. Then you can just have each turret tick in sequence, picking the next target on the list if the current one dies.

A continuous beam that causes damage every tick and acquires new targets quickly does seem like it'd be a lot more useful.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I found this on the Factorio forums. Dunno if it's part of the upcoming Friday post.

So tanker cars can carry up to three different liquids. That's pretty neat.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Just pick a new starting point and start building. Use your current base to bootstrap construction of the new one.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't tried it, but it looks like this mod adds a fair amount of variety.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Eschatos posted:

I just connect my steam engine network/coal supply to everything else with a single line of electric poles. If a brownout happens, pick up one pole and the engines will put all available power to getting coal working again.

I've barely hosed with logic networks, but I think you could imprecisely automate that by putting a power switch in series with the pole you'd otherwise pick up, rigged to turn off if some segment of belt between your coal miners and your boilers reports that it's empty. Once the switch flips and the available power goes to the miners, the belt should fill up enough for the switch to turn on again.

I'm sure there's a much better way to do it, but I think that'd mostly work.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's probably unnecessary, but here's an idea: keep a little of your coal patch on burner miners, but keep the belt they feed turned off until your brownout/blackout condition is met, at which point they can load up the burners at full speed.

If you've got burner miners helping with the bootstrapping, it might also make sense to have another switch to give the inserters between the rows of boilers even higher priority than the electric miners; that way the miners won't brownout the inserters and slow down full recovery.

Edit: Something like this, with some logic at its outlet to keep the belt from moving until the burner miners are needed.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GotLag posted:

No switching needed, just have that side-load into a belt that should be kept 100% full by your normal mining system. Combinators require power to change state, if your power loss is sudden and severe enough they may not trigger.

I was trying to avoid running the burners before they were definitely needed, but I didn't realize the combinators needed electricity.

Now that I think about it, if you don't care about the pollution difference, is there any reason to switch to electric miners for coal in the first place? They're faster, but the extra speed doesn't seem necessary unless you're feeding an absolute shitload of boilers. Sticking with burners on coal avoids the brownout feedback loop entirely.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

super fart shooter posted:

Can someone repost that ratio cheat sheet thing?

http://imgur.com/r/factorio/MqCd6

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

M_Gargantua posted:

Both those links are dead?

It's working for me, but here are the images:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Kinetica posted:

I think the car and wooden power poles are the only things I do by hand now.

Once I get robots I have a couple of assemblers pull from requester chests to make wooden power poles so that raw wood doesn't just pile up in storage chests.

I can't say I've found much reason to make one car, let alone several. What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's such a pain in the rear end with any trees around, though.