Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Did the blue beaker formula change at all in 0.15? I remember one of the FFFs mentioning they were going to change it, but there hasn't been any change in the wiki and I'm at work so I can't load up the game to check.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around boilers in 0.15. How many steam engines can a single boiler support? Does connecting another boiler to the liquid side of the first boiler gently caress with how much steam is made?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Is there some kind of idiot's guide to Industrial Revolution anywhere? I feel like literally everything requiring coal in the early game is making it really hard to scale anything up, because it's impossible to get the coal to all the inserters I want to add to actually move poo poo around. It's like I need a second set of inserters and a second coal line just to fuel my first set of inserters.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

Basically, you can have an (externally-fuelled) burner inserter taking stuff out of a box, and putting it on a belt which takes it back around to an electric inserter to put back in to the box. Under normal operation, the number of items in the box will fluctuate ±1 as items are taken out and put back in. (Remember to manually override the stack size on the inserters you're using for this).

If you get into a brownout, the electric inserter will slow down, items will start to back up on the belt, and the number of items in the chest will drop below that nominal level. You can set a combinator to read the chest and trigger things to happen when you get into that situation.
I thought burner inserters were slightly slower than electric ones, though?

Wiki backs me up on this: https://wiki.factorio.com/Inserters

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

super fart shooter posted:

I finally launched my first Industrial Revolution rocket after a leisurely 120 hours lol. I kinda wanna stick around and build a much higher science-per-minute factory than I've had up until now and go into post game duranium stuff.

But crazy as it seems I also kinda want to start over. I've got a much better sense of how to design things in this mod, like grouping things into sub-buses off your main bus, and making your ore processing setups very modular so that you can easily upgrade them as the ore tech advances. Now that I've finally wrapped my head around the logic of all the processed/basic/intermediate products, I can be so much more organized next time. It also took me a while to realize how the mod emphasizes recipe complexity over resource costs, which kinda encourages you to advance your tech more quickly, like I should have switched to red belts way earlier than I did.

Plus, the author recently added even more early/mid-game stuff, including a lower tech roboport that doesn't require the grossly expensive accumulators, so that should make a lot of things a lot easier
:same: although I haven't finished yet. I only made it a bit of a ways into the steel age but I've already had about five million thoughts about how to be more efficient.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

magicalblender posted:

When I put down ghost imprints at the end of my bus, it takes my construction robots a long time to go to my mall, pick up inserters and belts and things, and travel to the construction site. Is there some combination of logistics chests I can lay down ahead of time that the robots will keep stocked and draw from during construction? I thought a simple requester chest would do it, and the robots do keep it stocked, but they ignore it when I construct things. I also tried an inserter that moves items from a requester chest into a storage chest, but then robots put the storage chest items right back in the requester chest.
What you're looking for is the buffer chest (the green one). Buffer and requester chests can both make requests, but only buffer chests make their contents available to construction bots. Requester chests are for when you want to take the contents out using an inserter (or by hand).

Buffer chests also make their contents available for personal logistic requests, so you can set a bunch around your factory and have them all request something you always want to keep on hand. So if you always want to have 500 iron plates in your inventory, make a bunch of buffer chests request 500 iron plates, and then whenever you need your bots to bring some to you, they'll pick the closest buffer chest instead of traveling all the way across your factory.

edit: :argh: ^^^

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

ScouSin posted:

First playthrough, like 12 hours in.

Trains are fiddly, but there is no way I am getting that oil from all the way over there back to my home factory using pipes. Similarly, there's nothing else near that oil.

So I'm using trains. Once I spent some time playing around with them (and doing the game's built-in tutorial), I feel pretty confident in my abilities to make a barebones working design. So far the game has done a great job easing you in so you're always doing something new and interesting, but not overwhelming you. The game's praise has been quite warranted for me.
Yeah, to the guy worried about trains above, you can make some really insane train setups if you know what you're doing, but if all you need is "get item from this one point to this other point," they're pretty easy. Make a long rail between the points, put a train station on each end, make two locomotives and some cargo/fluid wagons, then put the trains on the rail (one locomotive facing each way) and click on it to set up a train schedule. You don't even need a single signal, which is usually where things get more complicated.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Okay, blue belts in K2 require lube, so I can't craft them by hand. Sure. But blue splitters and underground belts don't, so why can't I handcraft them if I already have the required blue belts in my inventory? :argh:

Even weirder is the fact that green belts/splitters/undergrounds require blue versions as components, but you can craft those by hand just fine :argh: :argh:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I have hundreds of hours in this game and I'm still an idiot when it comes to anything involving the circuit network. What's the best way to tell my inserter to put a uranium fuel cell into the reactor when a) I'm low on steam in the network, AND b) there's no fuel cell already in use? a) is easy, but when the inserter activates it shoves 5 cells into the reactor, and some usually go to waste. How do I get it so that there's only ever one cell in the reactor at a time? The game won't let me connect a wire to the reactor itself.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

Does anyone have a list of mods they recommend for the first playthrough? Just stuff that makes it easier, more fun, removes some annoying parts of the game.
Honk and Disco Science.

Honestly I'd play Factorio mod-free for your first playthrough--the above ones don't change anything about the gameplay.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Communist Zombie posted:

And they dont seem to be working with Krastorio 2, theyll take in fluids but not burn them. And I had just checked them about half an hour ago.
IIRC you need to put in a certain amount of fluid first, because burning is a "recipe" that requires 500 of the fluid or whatever before it can start.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

NachtSieger posted:

I don't understand circuits at all. Someone please send help. The tutorial on the wiki does not help me understand this.
I don't really get what you're trying to do. You say you want a certain number of science packs on a belt--are you trying to get an exact number of packs, or above/below a certain limit? Do you have a screenshot of your setup and what you want to do with it?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Breetai posted:

So from what I understand both Krastorio 2 and Industrial Revolution 2 are sorta add-more-complexity-to-the-game mods but not to the insane level of bobs etc. Am I right in that, and what's the difference/what would recommend using one over the other?
I haven't played IR2, but assuming it's similar to IR1, it's a more radical overhaul of the game than K2 is. It's not overly complex or anything, but there are a lot of new materials and intermediate products right off the bat and the progression is very different from vanilla. K2 on the other hand is more along the lines of "vanilla but with lots of cool extra stuff." The K2 tech progression is similar to vanilla, but there are lots of new things that feel like they could fit naturally into the base game, like greenhouses and gas power plants as a stepping stone from steam to nuclear. As mentioned K2 also has a greatly expanded endgame with additional materials and sci-fi tech after you launch a rocket.

I haven't tried playing them together but I can't imagine it would work very well. I'd say pick K2 if you want to play something similar to vanilla but still different enough to be new, and pick IR2 if you want an entirely new puzzle to solve.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

necrotic posted:

I'm playing them together right now. It works quite nicely. I think the only thing that is off is wood production.

edit: to be fair, I haven't played much yet. I'm just getting into green science. But I played with factory Planner and it all looks reasonable into the end game.
:shrug: It just seems like they’re going for different things, that’s all. But as I said, I haven’t tried them together.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

KillHour posted:

Oh you sweet summer child
This is probably one of the biggest tips I can give to new Factorio players. When you're building a setup to make a new thing, don't try to squeeze it into the most efficient space possible. You're eventually going to want to make more of that thing, and you'll need open space to increase its production. No, more space than that. Mooooore.

I've been playing Factorio for years and yet my Zachtronics instincts keep kicking in and begging me to make everything use as little space as possible. Fight the urge, you'll thank yourself later!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Jamsque posted:

Wow don't hold back, say what you really feel.

I have never even looked at the Space Exploration mods, why do people hate Earendel?
I haven't played SE so this is only second-hand, but the impression I get is that he puts stuff in his mods that most people find annoying, but he refuses to add ways to turn them off because that would mess with ~*his vision*~. The examples I know offhand from SE are bot attrition (where logistic bots will randomly crash and die, forcing you to replace them) and meteor strikes (where a part of your base just gets loving blown up unless you have the right tech/defense against it). They can't be removed from SE without modding the game yourself. This is in stark contrast to vanilla things like biters, which are a major part of the game, but can be tuned in-game to pretty much any level you want or even turned off entirely.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

To be honest I actually think bot attrition and meteors are pretty interesting on a conceptual level. Considering that SE is all about exploring a bunch of different planets, meteors for example seem like a great way to introduce difficult risk/reward decisions. Do you go for the planet with a shitload of resources but also meteor strikes? Or do you play it safer?

But that's a different thing from "no, you must deal with meteors in order to win my mod, it is non-negotiable." Especially if there's a period where you just have to loving live with them in order to get the tech to actually stop them. (I don't know if SE does this though.)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Squashing Machine posted:

So it's been a while since my first successful rocket playthrough, and I'm getting the itch again. Would the goon recommendation for a second playthrough be to go for the fast launch achievements or start in on something like Space Exploration? I tend to drop out when things get too complex but I wouldn't mind the game going longer after that first launch.
Sounds like you want the Krastorio 2 mod. It adds some extra stuff to the base game, along with a significant but not too huge post-rocket phase, without being too complex.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

K2 deffo needs some kind of upgraded-damage radioactive flamethrower fuel slurry, to help use the absolutely gobsmacking levels of fissionables you will accumulate.
Just use the extra uranium to make the liquid matter for antimatter reactors. Uranium gets you the highest output from the liquid matter recipe anyway, so might as well use it for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

I don't hate the idea of quality but man do they need some better names for the levels. The color scheme and icons are fine, just call them "superior" or "flawless" or something more suited to the factory/production theme.