Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Suspicious Dish posted:

speaking of oil, can someone explain to me how liquids work? i have this setup for making plastics, but i can't tell why things are so slow.

fuller setup -- i don't know what i'm doing, so:

Do you just have the one pumpjack?

Ciaphas posted:

I don't see a way to crack heavy straight to petroleum. Should I be cracking heavy to light then light to petroleum in some ratio? Did something change since you made that post?

Evilreaver's post is if you are making solid fuel. To make petroleum gas you should do advanced refining and then crack heavy to light and light to gas. You'll probably need some heavy to make lubricant and some light so perfect cracking ratios aren't that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

Ignoranus posted:

I keep coming back to my existing factory save with the intention of improving it, then scaring myself back off again with the magnitude of what I need to do - I'm basically down to just "launch a rocket" stages but somehow it still seems so huge. Vaguely considering restarting, but maybe I'll start expanding resource processing in my existing game in order to get this cooking... Can anyone point me toward a straightforward, tile-able, Advanced Oil Processing layout?

My first rocket was a mess of building all the parts on opposite sides of my factory and botting them to the silo. Just work on figuring out what you need to do to make each kind of rocket part and do them one at a time and you'll learn from your mistakes.
Personally I think this from reddit is a pretty good newbie friendly oil setup.

Expand each line as needed rather than try and get perfect ratios. Belt the sulfur somewhere with space to make acid and batteries etc.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Chakan posted:

In Bobs greenhouse, the recipe for saplings produces 1.5 of them per raw wood. Dos it just alternate between giving one and giving two? Also, is there anything else I should know when starting a Bobs mod game for the first time?

I'm told that's average number. It can make a range of saplings and wood per craft. I've been working on a bobs game recently and the going advice is to try and manufacture a lot of stuff where its needed. Circuits especially you want to make components right where they will be used since you need and craft a bunch at a time so busing at all is really inefficient.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

RyokoTK posted:

174 hours played in this game and I haven't actually logged a win yet; in the past I've just been overwhelmed by how complex late-game manufacturing is, but this time I'm closer than ever. Reaching those big production milestones and watching your base output skyrocket is so satisfying. This time I've made it further than ever, now fully able to mass-produce blue belts and my base is now 100% using blue belts and it just looks sick as hell. Also having clouds of robots continuously supplying me with more blue belts so I never need to stop to refill, and more clouds of robots clearing trees out of the way so I have room. But now I need to actually increase my production again to justify the bandwidth. Guess I can start by replacing my blue assemblers with yellow ones. The struggle continues. :(

What a loving satisfying game, though. The only thing I don't like is that there's no way to automate alien artifact harvesting. It feels a little weird to have to go manually collect stuff now.

Try building a rocket. You'll discover all kinds of bottlenecks you didn't think of.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Tenebrais posted:

So I created a mod to implement the new research packs the devs showed off for 0.15. God drat the new blue science is going to be iron-hungry. It's pretty much devouring a saturated belt and still only outputting a beaker every two seconds or so. Haven't even got to the production or high-tech stages yet (I mostly put them in as requirements where there used to be alien packs).

Could you post it?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

edit: I can't read.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, uh... spent about 6 hours straight last night digging into the campaign. :sweatdrop: I may have seriously underestimated how easy that streamer made everything look; I think at least 2 hours of that was sorting out just a very basic Red + Green science output, and I had to consult a guide to figure out the ratios, and it still doesn't work very cleanly (I keep getting spare gears at the end of the science belt, and the ratio of Green to Red is still way off...)

I don't think I'm very good at making factories, you guys... :negative:

Spare gears on the science belt? Are you putting the science packs onto their own belt or onto a belt that has other junk? The general rule is to have at most 2 kinds of items on a belt (left and right lane!) and then extras won't clog input of anything. If an assembler doesn't have room to output it won't run but usually that's fine since if it doesn't have room to output you have tons of whatever its making. Unless you are mixing the contents of your belts and have gears in with science packs and then everything backs up horribly.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Tesla was right posted:

I'm using Angel's Refining and I need to get 360 water/second into a bunch of water plants. Is it possible to have that much going through a single pipe? If so, how?

Unless you are using Bobs or something that adds more sizes of pipes I think you are limited to 240 water/s through a pipe. I use this as my reference for pipes. So to get 360 water/s you would need to do multiple pipes in parallel, I think.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Are there any mods somewhere between vanilla and Bobs? Bobs is just too over the top for everything for my taste but something more than vanilla would be nice.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Demiurge4 posted:

Are there any good resources for mod packs that come pre-assembled and I don't have to fiddle with it? I was running Arumba's mod pack in the previous version which had bobs mods, angel ores, petrochem and a bunch of quality of life stuff which was really nice.

Not a mod pack but if people don't know about it ModMyFactory is a quite nice mod manager for Factorio. You can make and share packs of mods to enable and disable all at once and it has built in support for the official mod portal so updating mods is easy. I found its UI a little weird to get used to but its nothing crazy. And it has lots of stuff like version management and the like. You could easily use it to pull any qol mods you wanted out of the Arumba pack if that's what you were after. I'm not really aware of a ton of other big packs. Is there anything in particular you were looking for?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Reverend Dr posted:

I started a bob's/angel's run and whoo boy I don't think I'm going to give a rats rear end about this one. I like the idea of adding in more steps to the smelting process and could probably deal with the trash products that have to be destroyed/recycled, but with petrochem looming in the distance I don't think I'm going to continue. The pipe mechanics in this game are just nowhere near as solid as the belt/train/bot mechanics. I see it like chili powder, a little bit as seasoning is fine, but petrochem looks like its dumping in a whole drat can.

I've been chugging away at a bobs+angels and while its complicated and confusing its pretty fun. The filter spliters make dealing with byproducts reasonable rather than the horror it was before 16.x. Petrochem is kinda crazy and could still use some polish. Most of the chemicals either have a lot of possible production chains and used for a lot of recipes or have one hyper specific chain that only has a single or couple of results. But if you give yourself tons of space and throw up a couple of storage tanks for any byproducts you don't have a use for (yet) its interesting. A big part of the metallurgy, and so far a lesser part of petrochem, is adding complexity to your supply chain adds either much greater efficiency or a greater variety of ores/plates. Balancing producing enough iron/copper/tin while also making the higher tier ores is a neat change from the vanilla just throw more smelters at it playstyle.

I really wouldn't want to try angels+bobs without what is it used for and helmod for planning. I've also been using factorisimo to keep the footprint of my base from needing a dedicated train line to get from one side to the other.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Gay Hitler posted:

started up a new seablock game last night, was building solar panels, doing the whole sulfur thing to feed my crystalizer

big update to factorio when i booted up today, started a new game and seablocks is totally differnt

wind power? research without labs? what happened?

The start of seablock got rekajiggered. The first few researches don't need labs and serve as a kind of bare bones tutorial. IIRC both Bobs and Angels made some fairly substantial changes while 16 was in beta so seablock took to the chance to mix things up a bit.The basic idea is pretty much the same but I think a lot of the actual production chains changed. Wind power is pretty lovely and costs a lot of iron for the power generated. Especially when every plate takes as much work as in seablock. Even worse is the blinking power icon on the wind turbines but I found this post to fix it.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Evilreaver posted:

I'm just worried that Factorio is going to Minecraft itself with the higher prices. Minecraft was, what, :5bux: at first, now it's something crazy like $40 or something. It was a steal at $5, it's sure as hell not 40bux.

Similarly I've gotten 1200 hours in Facto for 15 bux, but trying to get a friend in at 40 would be a really hard sell since few people are as unemployed crazy enough to get those sorts of hours.

Factorio has a demo. If you have any friends who balk at the price have them check it out and they will know pretty quickly if its their cup of tea or not.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Evilreaver posted:

Start in a turbo-dense forest, never see L2 Biters (Or rather, meet their first attack while in power armor)

You may know this but its totally not obvious in game so I'll spell it out for anyone who doesn't reading the thread. Trees absorb pollution so your cloud doesn't spread as far/fast and since biter attacks are caused by your pollution reaching their nests you will get fewer attacks. If you are in dense forest and don't pollute that much it can be a long time until you see any. But evolution is based off pollution created (and game time and nests killed) so they will still get tougher even if they don't come knocking on your door. Don't totally neglect your military since eventually you will either expand past the forest or your pollution will and your first contact with the biters could be some really nasty ones.

Toadsmash posted:

Oh. That's why. Yeah I refuse to play without RSO. I should've guessed.

Since they made ore deposits richer as you get farther from spawn and added all the map gen options you can get decent maps without RSO. I still tend to use it but its not as vital as it used to be.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Away all Goats posted:

I tried the demo of this on my laptop a long long time ago and it ran like such crap I wrote it off. I tried it again the other night and was surprised to be getting 60+ fps. So kudos to the devs for that kind of optimization.

Is there anything important I should know before starting out?

You are probably going to build things and then later realize you did it badly. If it works resist the urge to tear it down and rebuild (or worse start a new map) and instead just build your improved version too. Space and resources are effectively infinite and if you tear something out to improve it you don't get any use out of it while you are rebuilding. If its something important like iron smelting you might really regret tearing it down when you run out of iron before you get your new smelting setup working.

When you get to oil give yourself a lot of room. No more than that. Oil takes up a lot of space since pipes are a lot more finicky than belts. Its easy to end up with it as a major bottleneck in your factory and that sucks if you didn't give yourself any room to expand it.

After you play a bit check out the keybindings in options. There are a lot of handy things that aren't really explained.

Other than that I suggest not looking at guides or stuff too much to start. Mechanics tutorials like how to make trains work are a fine idea but just looking up optimal builds or downloading someone else's blueprints is missing a lot of the fun.

And yeah the devs are crazy about optimization and fixing bugs. If you want the nitty gritty they talk about what and why in their dev blog a lot.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

XkyRauh posted:

Beacons feel really overpowered, now that power is so easy/cheap with Nuclear. Is there ever a reason not to use Production Modules in the Assemblers themselves, and then Beacon the poo poo out of them with Speed 3 Modules? (i.e. is there ever a time when Speed Modules are preferable in the Assembler?)

Don't forget that prod3 modules are expensive. Given a long enough run they will eventually be optimal for anything you can put them in but you had better be planning on sticking with that save for a looooonng time if you are putting them in copper wire machines. For expensive things like rocket parts or blue chips they will pay themselves off pretty quick and you are going to pretty much always go for them. I recall seeing someone spreadsheet out the time it would take for all the different items to pay off modules on reddit or the official forums.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

LLSix posted:

I was seeing noticeable throughput slowdowns from my trains crowding each other with only 20 trains on my last factory. 2 engines 4 cars each. I've been thinking about going to a 4 lane setup in my next factory to see if that would help with the crowding.

If you are getting slowdowns with relatively small numbers of trains you are probably using really inefficient signaling. 4 way 2 lane intersection can have throughput from go from 25ish trains a minute to 95ish if you use a more optimal design. This thread on the official forums has done a lot of testing and has numbers for a lot of different designs.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

double nine posted:

I'm starting to get the hang of this game (*canned laughter*), but I've not found any oil yet, and I've been scanning with 4 radar dishes for about 3 hours. Is this common on default map settings, and how crucial is oil? Can I continue without?

One of the techs lets you turn coal into oil products, but you need oil to research and bootstrap it. If there's none in your radar area you should hop in a car and set up radar outposts (with some turrets) until you find some. Resources get richer the further from spawn you get so its a good idea to explore mainly in one direction but for a first oil patch you probably want the closest one more than you care about richness.

double nine posted:

If one alien hive gets triggered by pollution, do all aliens start to become more aggressive?

Only hives that your pollution reaches will send biters to attack you. You can go out and kill the bases that your pollution is reaching to keep biters from attacking your base. But killing hives, as well as all the pollution you generate, increases how strong all the biters are. So don't neglect defenses even if you don't need it right this second.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Hamelekim posted:

My biggest issues is dealing with bugs while expanding at the same time. The size and number of bugs rushing me at this stage is such that I basically can't expand without a ton of planning. No time for building stuff slowly. I need to just plop down train stations with super defenses at my stops. I also have to got super far to get nuclear started up to properly support the thousand or maybe more lasers I have surrounding my base.

I guess I need to do some serious bug killing with my tank and some shells. The machine gun isn't really cutting it for taking out colonies with like 10 of those buried worms, at least not without suffering some major damage.

Open your map and hit the red square in the top right to turn on your pollution cloud. Kill any nests under the cloud or near it. Biters won't attack you if your pollution doesn't anger them. You are on a pretty water scarce map so it'll be tough to completely wall yourself off from the biters but they will pretty much always end up attacking the same spots from the each nest so as others have said you can focus your defenses a lot more. And you don't need the interior walls and lines of turrets unless they are actually breaking through your outer ones. And if they are you are better off fortifying it more instead of putting those turrets in your base.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Jeesis posted:

Anything that looks redundant/pointless with the current stable? Also pls suggest more mods that would accent this list. Looked at the AAI mods but unsure how useful they would even be as a AI pathfinding mod sounds like constant janitoring and headaches when a cargo vehicle decides to copulate with a nearby assembler group :fh:

I found FNEI more useful than what is it really used for with angelbobs so maybe fire up a test game and see which you like better.

Alkydere posted:

As someone who's angelbobbed I'll give the following warnings.

Bob's Warfare gives you bigger and stronger weapons but they also take more steps to make. You kinda need them to stay up with the Enemies though, if you don't have Enemies then it's hilariously overpowered/unnecessary.

Good post. Even though I'm not using bobs enemies I went for bobs warfare since my base is such a sprawling mess I wanted the upgraded power armor for more inventory and more exoskeletons. And to make it less impossible to use for fine movement I suggest Turtle Speed. And with how crazy bobs high end belts get belt immunity equipment makes actually walking around your base a lot less painful.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

DeathSandwich posted:

Welp. Game finally clicked for me. RIP my free time.

I had nightmares last night about belting busses. Factorio is a wonderful and magical but also horrible and perverse thing.

:allears:

A simple single train rail setup is pretty simple. One rail with station at each end and set the schedule. No need for signals since there are no intersections or other trains. After that it gets complicated.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

zedprime posted:

Stupid question but does it need to be running?

I forget the priorities off the top of my head but I think coal turns itself off if your power need is served by solar or nuclear.

Correct. If you have enough power from solar your steam will shut off. If it is actually ping ponging what's probably happening is you have enough from solar to cover passive drain but then a biter wanders near your laser turrets and they zap it putting a huge load on your grid.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

DeathSandwich posted:

Does it do that automatically now? One of the tutorials I watched was one that showed how to turn your boilers off while your accumulators had charge.

Did your inserters run out of power and stop feeding the boiler?

Someone said that flame turrets are more effective while being fed light oil, but how much less effective are they going to be if I fed them crude from an outlying oil outpost without refining it. I'd rather just have the one bus line back to my processing plant rather than run a second line to bring light oil back to the outpost, or refining it on site and bringing three busses back.

I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure power priority is solar > steam (coal and nukes both) > accumulators. So if you have a balanced solar accumulator farm and want to have a steam backup you still need to do circuit fiddling.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

DeathSandwich posted:

With the logistics bots: If I'm laying down belts or underground pipes or anything available in bulk in my provider chest like accumulators, do I have to use a blueprint to make my construction bots build from the network or can I just have one in my inventory and hold down some button combination and make it pull from the storage network automatically? If I'm building things by hand, is there some way to automatically request precursor materials when I queue up the construction without just winding up making the precursors as well like a dumbass? My example being if I need a batch of Long handled inserters, is there a way that when I click on the construction that it knows to queue up vanilla inserters and green chips from logistics rather than making it? Also are repair bots smart enough to automatically pull repair kits from logistics storage chests or do I manually have to feed it into a logistics node?

If you pick up and item in your hand and then hold shift to place it it will instead place a ghost of it that your construction robots will try and build. If you have a personal roboport equipped your bots will try and use items in your inventory to build it, then bots in networks that are in construction range will try and build it from items in their networks. That can be a little annoying if you want to lay 200 belts but only have 5 in your inventory since your bots will start placing those 5 as soon as you start placing ghosts and when they grab your last one you aren't able to place anymore ghosts (since the item is no longer in your hand). If you know you are going to do something like that you can either take off your roboport or toss your bots in a chest until you place all the ghosts you need to. I also tend to keep a quick use blueprint in my toolbar. You can shift click a blueprint to clear it so its pretty easy to place a couple items, copy into a bp, tile it a ton of times, and then clear the bp.

I'm not sure you have it unlocked but you eventually get personal logistic slots in your inventory. Click them to set requests that nearby logistics bots will try and fulfill. You can't automatically request ingredients for a craft without a mod so you will have to set a request for green chips and yellow inserters and once you get them start crafting. But you could setup an assembler making long arm inserters and dump them in a logistics chest and use a circuit to limit how many it will put in the chest so you don't end up with 50 stacks of red inserts you don't need. Or just expand your base so you use 50 stacks of red inserters.

Bots will repair with packs in provider, storage, or buffer chests, but iirc not in requester chests.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

DeathSandwich posted:

I've always been for some reason super reluctant to just grab stuff off the line for personal use if it's being routed to another machine, and I'm really bad about never wanting to set up temporary assemblers for short term projects out of a fear that I'll forget about it and wind up with a dozen chests in random locations that have 30 miners and some green chips in it because I forgot it exists.

This was a frequent problem for me. Its one thing when its green chips since you will eventually need as many as you can make. Its rather worse when you end up with a steel chest full of nuclear reactors. I'm not sure if you know it but if you open a chest and click the red X in the bottom right you can lock slots in the chest so inserters won't use them. As soon as I have smelting up I tend to throw down a chest and inserter to grab one or two stacks of iron and copper for personal use. Then the same with gears and chips and so on. Its not as flexible as circuit controlled inserters since multiple item types will tend to crowd each other out but its quick and easy. And as the saying goes perfect is the enemy of good.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

LLSix posted:

I was surprised by how much rocket fuel my trains used. The incremental improvement of nuclear fuel doesn't seem worth it since I've struggled to produce enough U-235.

Nuclear fuel is a pretty big upgrade in terms of acceleration (250% vs 180% for rocket fuel) but its also a huge upgrade in how much energy it provides and in turn how long it lasts in a train or boiler. Solid fuel is 25MJ, Rocket fuel is 225MJ, and nuclear fuel is 1.21GJ (1210MJ). But it takes U235 which is awfully rare until you have koverax enrichment going which in turns takes quite a bit of regular uranium processing. But once you have koverax going its a very fast positive feedback loop in generating more U235.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Ceyton posted:

Just finished my first game in 0.16 :toot:

Regarding botchat: I don't really think bots need a nerf. It's worth keeping in mind that you need to be producing yellow potions before you can even begin building a logistics network, and at that point, you're already 80% of the way to your 1st rocket. Then you need a full nuke infrastructure and shitloads of roboports. At that point of the game, it makes sense to have a superior (but extremely costly) alternative to belts.

Also, was anyone else really disappointed by the artillery? Comes too late in the game, too expensive to research (especially the upgrades), and the base auto range is too short to make using them easy or fun. I found it less frustrating to just run in and clear out biter nests manually, and I hate doing that.

A couple range upgrades make a world of difference. But artillery is really a solution to the problem that expanding for resources and space to make big factories with lots of rockets ends up making you clear a lot of nests which gets super repetitive. I think its no coincidence that artillery trains can hold more shells than a cargo wagon so emplaced turrets are best at automatically killing biter nests that expand into your area and not at defending against actual attacks.

Similarly bot superiority is more the post rocket scaling up. Bots make using heavily beaconed setups a lot easier to design since you don't need to make room for getting each ingredient to the assembler and make it much less complicated to handle high throughput setups.

super fart shooter posted:

A while back I think someone said that angel's mods were branching out to cover a lot of the same territory as bob's mods, how's that going? I tried AngelBob's for a while back in .15, but now I kinda wanna give it another shot. I liked all the smelting stuff and the petrochem, but I honestly I could do without the bob's electronics stuff. What's the downside to playing with Angel's only, and what do the bob's mods even add? The official forum doesn't actually have a lot of information on the contents of the mods, so I'm not sure which things were angel's and which were bob's

Angel's is solidly the resource refining part of the game. Turning raw ore or oil into plates or oil products (and optionally bioprocessings stuff). Bobs adds the upgraded tiers of most everything in the base game like machines, modules, equipment, belts, and inserters. Bob's also adds some resource stuff but its nowhere near as complicated as angels and IIRC when both are active bobs resource stuff is mostly disabled. You can also just not use bob's electronics or any of the other parts. His stuff is all modular and plays well if you remove one part.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Speed modules can be handy if you need to squeeze more throughput out of stuff you built a while ago and now don't have the space to expand. Its a stopgap but a lot of stuff you make in factorio is a temporary solution anyway.

For angels/bobs games Long Reach and Factorisimo have both been a super helpful. And Bottleneck is a wonderful mod for everything.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Ambaire posted:

How the gently caress do you use Helmod? I would be using the Foreman utility but apparently it doesn't work well with mods / hasn't been updated properly for .16 or some poo poo.

loving garbage broken mod, don't see why people hype it so much.

This is some pretty loving entitled bullshit you got here. What have you done that you deserve to have someone make a tool to help you play and then have them hold your hand through how to use it? These are complicated programs the creators are giving away for free. They aren't obligated to do poo poo for you. Just because they were nice enough to give you something doesn't make them obligated to keep working on them just because you want them too. And Foreman has updated versions for .16 but it doesn't handle angelbobs well since those mods do a ton of complicated things vanilla doesn't. Its open source though so feel free to make the changes it needs.

Helmod isn't broken, at least not in a major way. You just don't know how to use it. It sure could be more clearly explained but the author obviously has trouble with explaining things in English. I think its not their first language but either way they don't own you an instruction manual. There are tutorials out there if you looked. But nah its just a loving garbage broken mod.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

T-man posted:

sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru

Yeah fair. But I know mod creators, like anyone who creates stuff on the internet, get a ton of poo poo directed at them and when things aren't perfect. Its a toxic part of a lot of internet communities and its awful on the creators. Sure it can be frustrating but don't be a poo poo.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

I forget where you have to get to be able to do it in seablock but upgrading your boilers and steam engines makes the green algae power loop a lot more productive. And if you are thinking of letting it run on its own for a while you could always up the game speed a bit.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

There have been some changes that make the game a bit slower but that's mainly mid game stuff. Oil is earlier and science packs were rebalanced but that was kind of a while ago now.

But you are probably building in too much room for growth at the expense of needing a lot more resources which means it takes longer to actually grow. Factorio is a process of continual good enough solutions and expanding on to the next problem. Laying out your first green chips so you can extend them to provide for full blues is a huge resource and time sink. By the time you need all those green chips you will be able to build the infrastructure to make them a lot faster.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Oh my god that's wonderful.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

LLSix posted:

Who thought having biters in something this resource starved was a good idea?

Biters can't swim. You aren't going to be getting near them for a long time unless you expand directly towards them. When you do you can just put sniper turrets down out of the worms range.

You do know in seablock you don't get resources from mineral patches, right?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

IMO the best way to defend is to push the biters out of your pollution cloud. Or at least mostly out of it. The more pollution that reaches each spawner the faster they spit out bugs so even just clearing those under the densest pollution will take the pressure off. The best way to clear bases is artillery and since you have uranium ammo its hopefully not out of reach. It will auto target spawners close enough to it but you can also manually fire it quite a bit further.

If that's too much research and logistics to tackle right now a tank is probably your best bet. I generally make a little strongpoint near the bases I'm attacking with a substation and block of laser turrets (so you don't have to deal with ammo but it means stringing power out) and layer of wall around them. Then take your tank out. Stay moving so biters don't swamp you while you use the cannon to kill worms and spawners. When either the base is dead or you start to get in trouble drive back to your turrets and let them take out anything chasing you.

A few other fighting tips: If you put your construction bots in your logistics trash slot they won't try and repair your tank and get killed by worms, just make sure to take them back out before you go back to your logistics network. If you have personal laser defenses in your armor it will still work while you are in your tank which will help thin out biters while you kill spawners. To avoid brownouts when lasers start firing build a big ol block of accumulators. Or the low tech version by storing excess steam in tanks. You'll need to make extra steam engines that can kick in when needed though.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

drunken officeparty posted:

Update: 5 hours and 5 minutes to finish level 2 on normal difficulty. I could have at least halved that had I realized what the broken tracks were for earlier.

But also at the end, I was manually babysitting 2-3 small factory combiner things and 2-3 blue ones to make the tertiary products like the red ammo or solar panels. How could I have automated that? I tried putting boxes of plates with an inserter to the small factories, but it would seem to just give up after a second.

Inserters only insert if the assembler needs the materials (up to enough for 2 crafts). Assemblers only work if their output slot isn't full which is also limited for most machines to only a couple of items. So you want to both have inserters feeding more materials into the assembler but also an inserter taking the finished product out. Inserters can pick up or drop to belts, boxes, other assemblers, cars, and trains. So for something like green chips you usually want to drop them on a belt that will take them where you need them but something like power poles that you will use yourself you can just output them to a box so you can grab a stack when you need em. You can limit the number of locked slots in a box by clicking the red X in the bottom so your assembler doesn't use all your steel to make 10000 large electric poles that you don't need.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Nalesh posted:

While we're talking about mod recommendations, what would be some good mods to make enemies more interesting?(Both in terms of changing/adding to the current enemies, adding more walls and turrets, etc)

I don't know about the quality of any of the mods that change enemies or military stuff but I hear good things about Rampant. It doesn't sound like it changes the units but it overhauls the big picture AI of where and when they attack so they don't just follow the straight line into your turrets. They will avoid attacking where a lot of biters have already died so you can't focus on one spot. They are also supposed to probe and actively search for weak spots, retreat if they are overwhelmed, rally nearby biters (which makes leaving your defenses a lot more dangerous), and maybe some other things too.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

double nine posted:

question on main bus design, do you pull the metal/copper plates for circuits from (the start of) the main bus towards the circuit assembly area or do they get their own dedicated smelting area?

I usually start by pulling off the bus but once you get to blue chips you are probably going to want dedicated smelting for chips if want a decent rate of reds and blues without totally starving the rest of your factory.

Jack the Lad posted:

How do you all load/unload trains? I found this design on Reddit which looks and seems really neat, but because the top inserters have to wait for the bottom belts to be empty it's not very even:

I found this version of that unloader (blueprint string in link) that uses circuits to make the inserters swing in sync so its evenly unloaded. I haven't tried it since the belt/compression changes so it might not work right anymore.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

xzzy posted:

A simple way to balance it is volume. If an above ground pipe can hold 100 fluid, make an underground hold 75 or something. Then you need to bury more pipes to get the same throughput, creating more spaghetti, generating that taming chaos play loop the game is built around.

Or to be a real rear end in a top hat make it a 1/3 reduction so you can never get a perfect ratio.

Factorio fluid mechanics are dumb and changing pipe size doesn't effect flow in any sensible way. Even Bob gave up on multi sized pipes and he's willing to put all kinds of nonsense in his mods. And 2/3 flow is an easy ratio! To be an rear end you want something like 17/21 or 2/pi or something.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

There was a WIP mod that created a subterranean layer like Factorissimo, and you had to dig through rock to create a passage. I remember there was an air quality mechanic that required ventilation structures or else you'd suffocate when going below.

I'm tempted to work on something like this but I'm not sure how to balance it. Being able to bypass spaghetti and biters is pretty powerful but I'm not sure what an interesting and reasonable cost/downside would be. Air quality doesn't really fit the game IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

IMO defense artillery is more to stop biters from expanding right outside your turret range which it does quite well. And thats a respectable boost to defense, especially for the post rocket gameplay once you are putting out absurd amounts of pollution.

Sydin posted:

Speaking of defense I got uranium ammo up and it's a bloodbath. Biters just die. It's a bit more of a pain than laser turrets since I have to handle reloading logistics, but the sheer damage they do is worth it. :getin:

Red ammo already out performed laser turrets dps wise. Uranium ammo is monstrous. I really think there should be something for laser turrets to make them more competitive late game since the cost of even uranium ammo is too little to matter once you have your production established. Just a higher damage turret would be pretty lame but I bet they could come up with something.