Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I want consequences when you gently caress up liquid/ chem processing. Biters take out a tank of acid? Congrats, there's a huge acid cloud wafting over your base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Sunblood posted:

I like DyTech's approach to multi-tier buildings, but it's all at the cost of a dozen new resources and increased difficulty and awful stuff like that. Hello new Gregtech :notch:

I think the most pressing issue that can be solved by mods is power generation. Currently there are only two options, and it's either insane pollution and solid fuel consumption or massively huge fields of solar panels and accumulators. Nuclear power is the next obvious solution and I don't think any current mod has really tackled it properly, and it would be the same kind of paradigm shift research checkpoint as trains and logistic robots. It could be as simple as adding Uranium deposits and a new building. Be creative with cooling and waste management and bam, it's the endgame power generation that doesn't take up the entire map with buildings.

Isn't there fusion power later on in the tree? Or is that just personal fusion for the power armor?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

evilreaver-mod-ideas.txt - excerpt
Fusion would have to be astoundingly expensive (eclipsing the Rocket Defense cost), but is the end-game power source, so even at 50-75MW output it isn't single-handedly powering your base. It requires massive startup power in order to kickstart the reaction (and to restart it any time it needs to be restarted), so you power it via a Nuclear reactor or whatever.

Nuclear requires Uranium that is cracked from coal or stone in very small amounts (more from stone than coal) requiring lots of polluting mines and power before it can be started. A 'nuclear plant' is basically a multi-structure building that has the reactor core (uranium+water = superheated water+depleted U), the dynamo (superheated = power+steam), the towers (exhausts steam at a set rate), and as many breeders as you can fit (using uranium and power, cuts uranium use in the reactor for a small net benefit- less power-per-second, more total power-per-uranium).

Uranium is cracked (stone/coal + power = U), then enriched (U + power = Enriched U). Depleted Uranium can be used for bullets or Heavy Walls (an improvement over Steel Walls, an improvement over Stone Walls). Breeders, Crackers and Enrichers pollute.

Fusion is a multi-structure too- with an enricher (water + power = deuterium), magnetosphere (deuterium = *power*) and capacitor (basically a hugeass accumulator). You want at least 3 enrichers together to keep the deuterium flowing, and you need 1GJ in your capacitors/accumulators in order to run the magnetosphere- it of course puts out enough to charge itself with lots extra to spare. Unless the supply is interrupted (like a biter breaking a pipe, or laser turrets draining power enough to put you under the margin), of course, which might suddenly put you at a huge energy deficit.

Interesting ideas, especially the multi-structure one. I think it'd be interesting to change how water works in the game, so that it's a slowly replenishing resource, rather than totally infinite. Make fusion require water cooling and have fusion require an absurd amount of water. Maybe hot water pipes/ fusion attracts worms?

Evilreaver posted:

Fission isn't even explosive in power-plant configurations anyway. At worst, it gets hot and radioactive, which are two things that can't really be simulated in the game as current other than "Pollution += #BWOAHSHIT"

1. Fission isn't fusion
2. Fusion isn't even really fusion
3. I am perfectly willing to accept SCIFI FUSION EXPLOSIONS as a tradeoff

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Deconstruction planners will command your bots to chop down trees! This changes everything!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

door Door door posted:

Do you guys pipe your gas to your main factory for refining/cracking? If I process it at the field I can use trains to get the oil and solid fuel moving, but obviously can't with lubricant. Also, what does lubricant even do?

lubricant opens the doors to robots. Lubricant is worth it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Gears for the gear god!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

Productivity in the refineries, speed in the pumpjacks. There's a case for productivity before the jack goes dry (0.1/sec) but after that only speed helps. And if you do it before, it's another step to replace them later.

Oil pumpjacks don't consume any resources except their own life clock, so productivity isn't useful after that clock 'expires'.

And beacons literally nowhere, because they seem to be pretty terrible.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Evilreaver posted:

I made a post about that...

what I like about this idea is the pollution -- right now it seems pretty transient for coal. Uranium pollution should stick around for a long time. Maybe attract worms near your plant regardless of where it's situated, or bring in a new kind of enemy, like a mutated biter, or irradiated biter.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Hey modders, would it be possible to make multiple recipes for the same item? I'm interesting in turning burner inserters into inserters. I'm tired of taking my gray arms to back to the shed and shotgunning them.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
What's the command to remove the day/ night cycle?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

FISHMANPET posted:

Copper wire takes up twice as much space on a belt as a copper plate (because one plate makes two wires) so they're actually pretty hard to shuttle around, I just find it easier to turn copper into wire on demand, even if it means my copper wire assemblers sit idle most of the time.

I'm hoping the latest update fixed the "inserters pause on cargo trains" bug, because using them as GIANT FEEDER CHESTS saves a shitload of space, especially when dealing with copper wire.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ModeSix posted:

I guess I just don't have the patience to learn a second logistics system.

Maybe in my next game I'll try out trains.

I'd use more trains if there were TRAIN TUNNELS. That's all that I want.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jabor posted:

Yeah, Bob's is mostly complexity for complexity's sake. For example, the green circuit equivalent, instead of being a two-assembler thing made from iron and copper, instead requires:

1. A circuit board, made from wood and copper over four different assemblers
2. Electronic components, which is made from coal, water, copper and tin (a new ore) over three different assemblers plus an entirely new type of machine
3. Solder, which is made from tin, lead (another new type of material, which is found only in mixed deposits with a different new material), (or alternatively, tin, copper and silver, which is another new, quite rare ore), and wood.

(...)

It's great fun, if you're the right kind of player.

The kind who washes his hands thirty times before touching each doorknob in the house, Jesus. Getting a basic blue circuit line is enough of a pain in the rear end as it is.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Bhodi posted:

This is a neat idea.

Factorio: Snowpiercer edition.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Ratzap posted:

Fixed that the car could shoot itself new title perhaps?

The car could shoot itself , a child's guide to Factorio

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Sage Grimm posted:

Nope. Go wild with your Agent Orange.

I've filed a bug with the devs on this issue.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Torpor posted:

I just want 3d multi level factorio so I can build gigantic factory hellscapes that belch fire.

Never go full dwarf fortress. That's my advice to you.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

scamtank posted:

nah, the basic robotics look to be the same as they ever were. the active providers and requesters are just sealed behind 150 vials of grape and gold now

A Mardi gras of science vials, if you will.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

NeuralSpark posted:

It's my hand-edited no-effort sandbox starting area, I was planning on loving around with the new speakers ala the Still Alive link posted earlier. :blush:

Most of the .15 starting areas I've run with seem to be decent, though. They're not as nicely compact as that have created over, but I've gotten stone, ores, uranium and water all within one-and-a-half screens with every start so far.

My biggest problem so far is that I can't get away from the central belt plans that have been burned into my brain. So far with green+red science it's been ok, but belted science isn't going to go well with tree specialized packs. I think a small sub factory with belts to per-research factory chests will work ok? Either that or double belted on each side of each research hut... R/g/b/p on one side, specialty packs on the other.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

seravid posted:

y

Every spaghetti is its own thing, though, created on the fly as the factory develops.

Factorio: every unhappy factory is unoptimized in its own way.

redleader posted:

How do you make the mental adjustment to go from one factory using a standard and lovely bus, to multiple factories connected by trains and poo poo? I get intimidated when scaling up and don't know how to make that transition.

Alternatively, how do you go from making boring bus factories to complicated, holy-poo poo-how-does-this-even-work spaghetti factories?

I feel like I fall into a rut making busses, and want to break out of that.

I was feeling the same way. I managed to break out of that rut by starting a lazy bastard run. Optimizing away hand built components really made me rethink how I was going to place things in a way that kept the factory growing while being sustainable with a lower overall output.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Loopoo posted:

any risk of thermonuclear meltdown?

I was wondering if there's any roadmap for having all of the crazy rear end dangerous stuff that factories store be a danger to the factory. If you have a silo of acid that biters destroy, shouldn't it dissolve surrounding things?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Collateral Damage posted:

Add an unlockable tech that gives a second tier of Big Electric Poles which can also charge robots.

OH MY GOD

this is the best idea since the honking train

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Snak posted:

I'm super lazy and usually just build turrets towards nests until the turrets are shooting the nest. Flame turrets if it's a big one. Being able to drop an assembler, throw a barrel of oil it, and feed a flame turrets from it is really handy.

Wait, what? I thought flame thrower turrets needed all 3 inputs to fire. I'm furious with myself :argh:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zo posted:

also they're purple circuits you loving mongrels

What would you say is wrong with your eyes?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

zedprime posted:

Don't get rid of old friends. They can still make friendship you can use to stay not depressed while trying to attract more friends.

Simply make more friends in the side. Your old friend can even help with this directly!

Meet new friends and smelt the old/
one is iron and the other wood/
My belts are round/
They have no end/
That's how long we'll be your friend.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

mastermind2004 posted:

Just switch to using trains to move products around, and embrace the spaghetti on a much larger scale.

Use cargo wagons as oversized chests, double your trash spaghetti layouts.

E: where are my requester cargo wagons?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I'm really enjoying .16 vanilla, although every world I've generated had very little water - .15 had tons of scattered lakes and oceans that I'd just gotten used to. Having far less water really changes the dynamics for defense and power generation.

Cliffs are an interesting addition, but I'm surprised that pipes and underground belts don't have any interaction with moving between z levels. Makes me wonder if the devs are going to go full Dwarf Fortress with complete z-levels.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Collateral Damage posted:

Shooting them at enemy bases would be a good use for obsolete stone and steel furnaces.

"I made a cannon that shoots guns!"

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I do kinda wish that you could do sweet jumps off of cliffs though.

Skateboard mod inbound

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Poil posted:

Only if you can stick nuclear fuel into the skateboards as well.

Sweet jumps right into the middle of assembling plants and inserters? :v:

Oh my god, are cliff explosives wired for logic? Imagine taking your car off a cliff while explosions go off all around you. You'd be like the Evel Knievel of Factorio.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jamsque posted:

Yeah this week's Friday Facts is a must-read and also something that will probably make you want to stop playing until the changes it discusses are in the game. Besides the splitter changes, which will make a bunch of new and different setups possible, it also seems like a fairly serious nerf to logistics bots is not far in the future.

I don't read this necessarily as a potential nerf for bots. It sounds like they're really trying to find a way to make belts competitive with bots. All the discussion is about improving belts in ways that are useful late-game where bots currently rule.
and that balancer update is the hottest poo poo yet in .16.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

M_Gargantua posted:

Trains > Bots anyway

Yes, but have you considered train-bots?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Bot nerf: implement collision in mid-air for logistics bots :v:

Factorio: (constant bonking and clanking noses)

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
It's weird to see the devs write about belts being the fun way to play the game when the tech tree is geared towards favoring bots. I think if there were more upgrades in the tree for belts and belt systems we wouldn't be having the conversation. And I don't just mean "more tiers" types of things, but some kind of improvement similar to bot improvements - improved blue belt speed, improved density, better transfers with inserters, better recipe costs, almost anything, really.

Diagonal belts?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

super fart shooter posted:

Robots don't become active from within chests though do they? I think that's the problem, "active/available robots within the roboport network" is a different type of data than "robots stored as items in chests within the network," and a roboport can output either one of these signals, but not both at the same time

Tangential to your post, but one of the biggest gently caress yeah moments I had way back when was designing my first automation station that assembled bots and then inserted them right into a roboport. I'm pretty sure people in the next room heard the light bulb going off in my head.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Vic posted:

Did you just describe a bridge as a tunnel that's not in the ground?

I feel like I'm having a heart attack reading this

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ShadowHawk posted:

The complexity of the sushi belt shouldn't change the longer it gets.

You have a circular belt going past your labs, and one place where your science is input. You put some wire to read from 4-5 belt segments, and connect it to the input lanes. Those inputs don't add science unless the kind they serve is missing on the reader sections.

That should scale right up to the point where you're consuming a full blue belt worth of combined science packs.

Here's the focus of my current game: 100 labs, fully sushi belted. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Right now I'm working on bringing high tech packs into this. I'm making them a few screens north near a small oil patch. I've been dealing with some power problems, so am waffling between getting nukes online or going full solar farm at the same time.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I thought a sushi belt was a loop with a splitter entrance so that new items could always enter the loop, but never really exit. This pattern helps with distributing items and helps to make blueprints tileable too.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Interesting! I first ran across the term sushi belt with this blueprint.

I thought that the looping entrance was what made it a sushi belt. I thought the term for the single line setup in Unreal_One's video was a mixed belt. I was always wary of those even with circuit networking because I was always worried that there'd be a half item gap in the detector that'd prevent a new pack from dropping in.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jabor posted:

Have you ever been to a restaurant with a sushi train? That's literally where the term comes from. It's a continually-looping belt with all the items on it, so the inserters can just pick off the ones they want.

That's not a sushi train, this is a sushi train: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQpYKxgeIU :toot:

Thanks for setting me straight, thread.