Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

All my trains are loco

I’m on my phone and I couldn’t post a screenshot for some reason, but this is exactly where awful.app wrapped your post

Content: I’m on my final push to finally launch a rocket. I’m just finally getting into carting ore in via rail. I should also probably start nuclear power as well.

Once I launch a rocket, I’ll start filling in the fish-shaped lake where I stupidly built my base nearby... and play with artillery :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

And the rocket is Santa on his sleigh, with reindeer

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Now I'm really interested in OpenTTD

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Heck yeah, thank you!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Check out "Warehousing" for big warehouses for storage, and Factorissimo 2 for buildings you can walk into

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

After some more futzing around i've come up with what feels like a much more easy way to treat the train system.

Going from the data above, with a single track line, i used the chain in, normal signal out strategy on most of the intersections i had on one part of it, and watched things a little. What ended up happening is that trains would basically immediately get stuck near intersections with two trans trying to move into it and each blocking the other. The only way to solve it was to add side-ways whereever this happened.

What that system does is effectively *force* the player to plan and build capacity beforehand or have the entire system just loving jam itself.

What works a lot better for me is to have all intersections be chain signals only, with occasional specifically built buffers. This allows the trains to only *start* moving to where they wanna be if either the path is entirely clear, or they have a clear path to one of the buffers on the way.

The main advantage for me there is that yes, trains may be sitting at train stations for a long time before they get a path they can use, but it will *never* jam, allowing me to keep doing stuff without everything falling apart, until i get around to adding buffers to speed things up again.

And the buffer design i was wondering about fell into place with GotLag's mention of pathfinding weighting. The following structure has the chains-only path on the longest track, so it'll be the last to be considered, and all other tracks are enclosed with normal signals allowing trains to move into them whenever. Having the chains-only path on the longest track is important because otherwise it will be chosen first, the train will reserve its entire path, and thus block the opportunity for other trains to move into a buffer track.

This explanation is a little bit lengthy, but in practice this solution is safe against breaking itself and requires the smallest amount of thinking to implement while allowing smooth incremental optimizing.

I didn't see the helicopters at first and I thought the speed/fuel indicators were for the trains, and I got excited :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

lol if you don’t have a jira backlog for your base

Also lol if you don’t have your base hooked into grafana and pagerduty

Right, right?!?