Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

1783 was a year of change for New York and the rest of the 13 colonies. The victory at Yorktown in 1781 had broken the back of the British war effort and a sort of peace had settled across the soon to be free states. However, American POWs still rotted on prison ships in Wallabout Bay. Those still alive would be free by the end of the year due to the Treaty of Paris and as their captors withdrew, the victorious General Washington (having learned much since starting the first truly world wide war as a young major) entered the city to the cheers of an ecstatic crowd. Change and hope were in the air as the colonists were free to govern themselves. However, the complications of the dual sins of slavery and genocide left a foul taste for those who had concerns for such things.

Welcome to NYC 1783
If you'd like to play, please PM me with your role flavor and post in the thread to sign up, keeping in mind that your chosen flavor role must somehow make sense for New York City in 1783. The more interesting and evocative your submitted flavor is, the more interesting mechanical role you'll get. A previous game in this series involved mod enforced PRs, depending on what I get as roles this one may or may not. Due to the effort involved with designing and balancing CYORs, this will likely not open for several days. Additionally, I can't promise this will be balanced, but I'll do my best.

Rules:
The town wins when they have removed all threats.
The mafia win when they have unassailable control of the vote.
Third parties win when ???.

All roles have a type associated with them, the type determines what effect some actions will have on them.

Flips will look like this:
wins32767, Ethan Allen (Drunken Captian), Person, Town has died in the night!

Other than this post, all mechanics or rules are posted in bold, all flavor in italics.

1. Ardulac
  2. Crazyeyes
  3. fiery_valkyrie
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. JakeP
  6. Magnus Gallant
  7. Meinberg
  8. merk
  9. mr.capps
  10. Opopanax
  11. Pander
  12. Sandwolf
  13. Slightly Toasted
  14. tearshed
  15. Tremendous Taste
  16. xopods
  17. Your Personal Muse

The Departed

D1:
Meinberg, Maximillian Straus (Vanilla/{Mason Recruiter}), Person, Town has been shot.
xopods, The Last of Barrett's Privateers (Weak Passive Roleblocker), Person, Town has been hanged!

N1:
mr. capps, Nelson, George Washington's Horse (Mason/BP), Horse, Town has been killed.

D2:
JakeP, Pete Franklin (Wrathful Weak Tracker), Person, Town has been convicted of witchcraft and burned at the stake.
No one was hanged.

N2:
Magnus Gallant, Brain Damaged Farmer(Mason), Person, Town has been killed.

D3:
merk, Pierre Van Cortlandt(Godfather/{Mind Controller}), Person, Mafia has been hanged.

N3:
No one has died in the night.

D4:
Your Personal Muse, Time Displaced Sandwich Artist(Weak Self Watcher/Mason Recruiter), Person, Town has been hanged.

N4:
No one has died in the night.

D5:
Crazyeyes, Travelling Whisky Salesman(Erratic Roleblocker), Person, Town has been hanged!

N5:
Opopanax, George Washington (Vanilla/{Watcher}), Person, Town has been killed!
tearshed, 18th Century Doctor(Diagnostician), Person, Town has been stabbed in the back with a saber!

D6:
fiery_valkyrie, Puritan (one shot Witch Hunter), Person, Mafia has been hanged.

N6
Slightly Toasted, Tory Spymaster extraordinaire ({Vanilla}/1xEcco Cop), Person, Town has been killed.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Hi

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

moi

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'll sign up for this.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

For reference, here are the roles submitted in the last two games:

'83:
  • cocaine
  • gator in the sewers
  • Voodoo Man
  • CCKeane
  • A friendly pirate who inhabits the Hudson
  • A Terminator sent to kill Sarah Connor but one year early and to the wrong side of the United States.
  • A King Size Package of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups that Have Been Partially Melted in Transit and Resolidified.
  • Schizophrenic hobo pickpocket with no legs
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Bill Murray filming Ghostbusters
  • Gaëtan Dugas
  • A Young Rudy Giuliani
  • Rupert Pupkin from The King of Comedy
  • Patrick Bateman
  • Hasidic Orthodox Jew

1883:
  • I am an Irish immigrant working on the Brooklyn Bridge.
  • The Rumor that killed 12 people
  • Charlie Delmonico, proprietor of the best steakhouse in town and a guy who met everyone who is everyone in late 19th century Manhattan
  • I want to be Michael J Fox, playing Marty McFly in Back to the Future 4, but while on the set somehow the Delorean actually worked, and brought me back in time to the 1880's. I need to get back to the future to get my Parkinson's medication.
  • scrivener
  • Buck Ewing
  • PT Barnum taking the show through
  • Charles "Old Hoss" Radbourn
  • Clocksmith
  • a used copy of "The Gentlemans Directory", an in depth but pocket sized guide to New York City's best brothels and pleasure houses
  • plague bearing rat
  • A compulsive gambler whose ego is only exceeded by the size of his airship.
  • Obsessive Watchmaker
  • a little old Chinese lady running a laundry with an opium den in the back

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hello

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Sure I'll play

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Yes yes please

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Me pick me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah alright, I could use a game and my life should be more or less normal at this point after this lovely month is done. I could do with a game

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'll play.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I'm in. Note that I know nothing about American history.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Pecota and I both chose obscure baseball players in the last game. :shobon:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sure.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm in. Note that I know nothing about American history.

I was

wins32767 posted:

[*]Schizophrenic hobo pickpocket with no legs
and
[*]I want to be Michael J Fox, playing Marty McFly in Back to the Future 4, but while on the set somehow the Delorean actually worked, and brought me back in time to the 1880's. I need to get back to the future to get my Parkinson's medication.

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

poo poo, I am in the sign ups for ANOTHER CYOR so I can't join this one. :(

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I played as:

Gaetan Douglas and a scrivener.

Can't miss out on picking a cool character for this game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I played as a Young Rudy Giuliani. It wasn't that great a character to stay in character with.

Hopefully this game should be more fun for me!

I did pick out JakeP and merk as scum in the first game though, so apparently I was good at mafia once.

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

I was cocaine in the original one.

I really want to do this one too but that would mean THREE games at once and I start school Friday so it's probably a bad idea.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

You should be in the game that I am in auryn

Just sayin

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Auryn posted:

I was cocaine in the original one.

I really want to do this one too but that would mean THREE games at once and I start school Friday so it's probably a bad idea.

quit school

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

JakeP posted:

quit school

poo poo bitch i didn't even start yet

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
thats when its easiest to do

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

But it's paid for :negative:

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!
I'll give mafia another go.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
If there's room, I'll happen.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Having played in a previous one and having fun, I will enter into this venture as well and expect similar fun.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I'm going to leave signups open through the rest of the day and then get started on designing the game. I still need roles from firey_valkyrie, Slightly Toasted and Crazyeyes.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm in! Don't start without me!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ok, waiting on fiery_valkyrie to submit and I can get going on the design. 50/50 shot this opens Thursday night, otherwise probably Monday since I'm gaming all weekend.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Ok, waiting on fiery_valkyrie to submit and I can get going on the design. 50/50 shot this opens Thursday night, otherwise probably Monday since I'm gaming all weekend.

Yay Stack! What are we playing man?!?! :glomp:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

You have to open on Thursday so I can spend the weekend pretending like I got you drunk and you let slip who the Scum are.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

xopods posted:

Yay Stack! What are we playing man?!?! :glomp:

I haven't decided yet. I just got my copy in of OCS for beginners, but I'm also planning on bringing Angola and Dominant Species. You have anything you need playtesters for?

xopods posted:

You have to open on Thursday so I can spend the weekend pretending like I got you drunk and you let slip who the Scum are.
That just means I'll have to make you scum.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

wins32767 posted:

I haven't decided yet. I just got my copy in of OCS for beginners, but I'm also planning on bringing Angola and Dominant Species. You have anything you need playtesters for?

I would play Angola! again for sure (probably my favorite long, serious wargame that I've played to date), and would be happy to be introduced to OCS.

You need to play Brass, so we'll find three-ish hours sometime over the weekend for that. (Including teaching... it's not a 3 hour game)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

wins32767 posted:

Blergh so much pressure.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I think there were probably fiery valkyries in New York in 1783 if you just want to go the lazy route.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

American history went for a lot longer than I thought it did.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

fiery_valkyrie posted:

American history went for a lot longer than I thought it did.

The Brits didn't start sending their undesirables to Australia until they couldn't send them here anymore. :colbert:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Hey now. Those undesirables are my great-great-great-grandparents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Hey now. Those undesirables are my great-great-great-grandparents.

For the longest time, my family thought we were descended from folks that came across on the Mayflower. I found out last year doing genealogy that no, we were descended from the younger brother of a guy on the Mayflower and who happened to be the first person convicted of embezzling government funds in the New World.

• Locked thread