Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm in! Don't start without me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

wins32767 posted:

Ok, waiting on fiery_valkyrie to submit and I can get going on the design. 50/50 shot this opens Thursday night, otherwise probably Monday since I'm gaming all weekend.

Yay Stack! What are we playing man?!?! :glomp:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

You have to open on Thursday so I can spend the weekend pretending like I got you drunk and you let slip who the Scum are.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

wins32767 posted:

I haven't decided yet. I just got my copy in of OCS for beginners, but I'm also planning on bringing Angola and Dominant Species. You have anything you need playtesters for?

I would play Angola! again for sure (probably my favorite long, serious wargame that I've played to date), and would be happy to be introduced to OCS.

You need to play Brass, so we'll find three-ish hours sometime over the weekend for that. (Including teaching... it's not a 3 hour game)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I think there were probably fiery valkyries in New York in 1783 if you just want to go the lazy route.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

wins32767 posted:

For the longest time, my family thought we were descended from folks that came across on the Mayflower. I found out last year doing genealogy that no, we were descended from the younger brother of a guy on the Mayflower and who happened to be the first person convicted of embezzling government funds in the New World.

Remind me to tell you about my great-grandfather this weekend.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

17 is the new 13. You heard it first in Tortuguero. Someone get in here.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

ConfirPGOming

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

##vote Pander

Merk wasn't thrown off by roleplaying, he was correct. Roleplaying or no, Pander is not being sincere in his opinions and I saw it too.

The fact Merk let go of his read so quickly just because Opop called him suspicious for it also pings me, though.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

Load of horse poo poo. What aren't I sincere in dipshite?

Going after Sandwolf is lazy if you're Town, and you're not usually lazy. Conversely, it's a tempting thing to do as Scum, since it's an easy vote for which you can provide a justification that most people won't call scummy, even if they disagree with it. Furthermore, if he does get lynched, it's possible that he flips third party, so you don't have to deal with the consequences of leading a Town lynch.

I don't think you really believe he's a good D1 lynch for the Town cause.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander and merk are right that my explanation for voting Pander is bullshit, since I accused him of saying the opposite of what he actually said, and it fact what he was accusing Crazyeyes about.

Truth is I didn't remember why I'd voted him other than gut and was too busy with life as usual to go back and read.

They're both still Scum though.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Don't worry, I won't be equally useless throughout the whole game. I had a big poker tournament to play this afternoon so I was rushing to get stuff done before that started, but was feeling guilty about not having posted anything except to confirm.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hmm. Ardulac might be Scum. Me not reading the thread is one thing, but him seeing my nonsense didn't-read-the-thread post and bandwagoning on my case, claiming that he'd seen the same thing as me?

I suppose it's possible that he was also pinged on a gut level, and then reading my post caused him to likewise misremember the content of what was being said. Ard's usually pretty proactive as Town, though... it's unlike him to let others do his reading and casemaking for him.

I'd vote Pander, merk or Ard at this point.

I will be around more today. I still have a lot of work to do, but more time to do it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

xopods, how can you think I'm scum based off of my read on you when you admit that your content was insane?

I think you're scum based off your quick waffle over Pander.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

"I didn't read the thread worth shite and formed awful conclusions that I weirdly stood behind, but can you believe THAT guy didn't read the thread?!"

You wanted a concrete example of you being disingenuous, here it is.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Also, if you are Town, merk, you might want to reconsider your feelings about meta reads, because it would lead you to be less terrible at Mafia. Remember last time you voted me D1 because I gave bad justification for a gut read and then admitted I wasn't reading the thread carefully, and how I flipped? And then remember the last two games I was Scum in (the one you were my scum buddy, and then the one you modded), and how in those I always made sure I'd read things carefully before posting and made coherent cases that no one objected to?

Yeah.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

So wats your amazing D1 gut saying?

That you, merk and Ard are all individually likely to be Scum. I don't know how likely it is that you're all Scum together, but it's not impossible.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

D1 I don't much care what people are saying, I care whether they sound like they believe it and/or are speaking off the cuff, or whether they're choosing their words carefully and their opinions strategically.

So in your case, it doesn't matter whether you were after Sandwolf or after Crazyeyes for being after Sandwolf, what mattered to me is that it was an easy discussion for you to enter and put a vote down, and my gut vibe on reading your posts was that you were posting from the mind and not the heart.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

So were you bullshit or doublin down on bullshit as not bein bullshit?

The read was genuine, the explanation was bullshit, because you were asking me for concrete justification for something I had no concrete justification for. I should have just said so, but I felt the need to be posting some content because I'd been lurking due to real life business since the beginning of the day.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

I will only vote xopods until I am removed from the game or he is removed from the game.

##vote merk

This is the third time I have seen merk give an ultimatum like this in a game. Both other times, he was Scum.

This is 100% a merk scumtell.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

One was wins's previous CYOR, the Haunted Boat one. Then there was another one, I can't remember which game. But I pointed out to people that the last time I'd seen merk play the "lynch me or lynch him, I will not vote anyone else" gambit, he'd been Scum, no one listened to me, and what do you know, he was Scum.

I hope you will listen to me this time.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

Now all I have to go with is that your case on me is only gut?

Correct. My gut feeling is that nothing you've said sounds to me like it's coming from the heart.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

I've done this plenty of times as town. You can't even fake meta right.

Not in any game I've been in. Can you produce an example?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

Same to you rear end in a top hat. You take a narrow read of things, ignore context, and try to sound like the smartest motherfucker in the whole place. Called on bullshit, so you make excuses and try to change up your methods and reasonin without changin your alignment calls.

One would think a smart man like yourself would go back to the ole drawin board after being caught rulin as king of Bullshit Mountain. Looks pretty fake to me, tryin to fit different evidence to match the same charge.

I'm pretty sure in this particular instance I haven't tried to make myself sound like the smartest motherfucker in the whole place. I've been terrible so far this game, but my opinions are genuine.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

Why aren't you voting xopods?

He's waiting for some townies to take the bait first before he jumps on.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

Not when archives is broken. The one game off the top of my head is a dy game too I think.

What do you mean "too"? I didn't mention any dy. game.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

Brain farted and thought this was the dy game I died in recently instead of this game.

Oh, so sometimes you don't pay enough attention either, eh?

##unvote
##vote Pander

If archives come back up I still expect an example of a game where you've pulled the "me or him" gambit as Town though.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

(To be clear, if you're getting this game confused with another where you were Town, that probably means you're Town. The way the confusion happened, I don't think it's likely you're faking it.)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Why are you guys suddenly pushing F_V for doing nothing when half the thread has done nothing?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

hey look xopods still hasn't hosed to read anythin.

No, I read what you said about her and read her history. It's true that her posts look like she's pretending to contribute while offering no solid opinions of her own, but how is that different from, say, tearshed, or Opop, or YPM?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

merk posted:

I feel really strong about a case. Opo didn't even say why he'd only vote those two players. The situation is only the same when you only post a snippet of what I said against the totality of what Opo said.

As strong as every other time you've wanted to lynch me D1 for this exact reason and I was Town every single time?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

##vote Ardulac

Pander's coming across to me as Town now, though I know he's good enough to fake it. Merk's basically clear due to his townslip, especially if archives come back and he can show me somewhere he did the him-or-me thing as Town.

Ard is acting like someone who knows it's going to be him or F_V on the blocks and wants it to be the other guy gal, while F_V's predominant concern seems to be making sure everyone knows what gender she is.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I also kinda feel Sandwolf's point about JakeP defending Merk. I don't see it as a scumbuddy thing, especially since I've changed my mind about merk, but if JakeP is Scum and both merk and I are Town, then of course merk lockjawing on me would make it strategically wise of him to keep us both alive as long as possible.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

JakeP posted:

lol what the gently caress is a townslip

He got confused between this game and another in which he just died and was Town, and in such a way that I don't think he was faking it. You don't get confused between two games when you're scum in one and town in the other.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

It's not irrational. It's 100% mafia science. The townslip thing, that is. Please explain to me how the gently caress someone gets two games confused when they're Town in one and Scum in the other? The human mind does not work like that.

The merk meta, I was drawing a line through two or three points... enough to believe there is likely a correlation, but not in the face of conflicting evidence.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Also, it may be self-serving of me right now to say this, but generally confusion and distraction are Town tells, at least for experienced players, and especially in the early game. Scum have enough information to be forming a plan, while Townies are waiting for something to happen. When merk's slip made it clear that he was just responding to the last page worth of posts and not really thinking about which game he was playing, that's what made me reverse my opinion, because that's basically what I was doing and what I always do as Town on D1.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

EDIT: Oh poo poo, I guess I'm dead and shouldn't be posting.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

GOD drat YOU ALL

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

"GOD drat YOU ALL" was a joke about my flavor.

I'm The Last of Barrett's Privateers. The chorus of that song starts "God drat them all."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander, do you know why your kill failed? I don't think it has anything to do with me.

• Locked thread