Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Sorry not really gaming related but I just thought people here might be open minded enough to figure out why we tolerate this worthless vegetable in the 21st Century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackPharaoh
May 8, 2007

Ristolaz posted:

Sorry not really gaming related but I just thought people here might be open minded enough to figure out why we tolerate this worthless vegetable in the 21st Century.

Its vegtables for fat people

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
One plant is the special emblem if Min, appearing on chests or stands near him, or carried by priests at his festivals, namely the long lettuce. This plant was supposed to assist the god - "the great of love" as he is called in a text from Edfu temple - perform the sexual act untiringly. This symbolism stems perhaps not so much from the vaguely phallic shape of the lettuce as it's milk-sap which would suggest the god's semen. Min is shown with the lettuce as early as Dynasty VI on the tax immunity decrees of Qift. Over 2000 years later the Roman emperor Augustus is shown offering lettuces to the god in the temple of Kalabsha.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ristolaz posted:

I like it for wrapping flavorful food in. The worthlessness then becomes a feature.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Likely texture I think. If its crisp. Other mix of leaves are better in salad or anywhere else.

Like imo Iceberg is worthless. Then again in a salad it is just there to be mostly water so your mouth gets tired after eating so much that you think you have consumed a lot of food but it is low in calories.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gatts posted:

Like imo Iceberg is worthless. Then again in a salad it is just there to be mostly water so your mouth gets tired after eating so much that you think you have consumed a lot of food but it is low in calories.
Iceberg lettuce is bland as hell, but romaine, butter, and green/red leaf lettuces have distinct, if unassertive, flavours. In addition to providing something moist and crisp, they can also add some colour without doing anything crazy to your flavour profile.

And like all leafy greens, they're nice fresh but miserable otherwise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It makes you poo nice and clean.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Cut romaine lettuce in half, brush the sides with olive oil/garlic/salt, put it on the grill.
Best vegetables ever!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gatts posted:

imo Iceberg is worthless.
Chopped up and in a nice thick layer in a sandwich with egg and mustard it's pretty good. Otherwise all lettuce is simply a poor substitute for spinach.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Lettuce is cabbage for americans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's an almost unimaginably complex living thing, consisting of billions of individual cells all living their own small lives, but in aggregate making up an entirely new form. It has evolved over billions of years of fighting for survival against other species, and came out on top of all its rivals. You then tear it out of the ground and eat its slowly decaying corpse.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you think about it food is pretty metal, generally.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Grand Fromage posted:

It's an almost unimaginably complex living thing, consisting of billions of individual cells all living their own small lives, but in aggregate making up an entirely new form. It has evolved over billions of years of fighting for survival against other species, and came out on top of all its rivals. You then tear it out of the ground and eat its slowly decaying corpse.

Its primary weapon in its fight for survival is its blandness.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Jesus Christ!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Is mankind lettuce's next conquest?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Lettuce just detracts from everything. Iceberg has just enough flavour to make things worse and is the reason I thought salads were inherently poo poo for a long time. It turns out that if you switch it out for a better leaf, everything improves, but nobody ever tells you that. gently caress lettuce.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

contrapants posted:

Its primary weapon in its fight for survival is its blandness.
Doesn't seem to do it any favours.

Really you're pretty hosed as a vegetable when humans are around. Lettuce tries to stay under the radar and gets stuffed into a sandwich, onions and chilis develop irritants and they end up right next to it. You can't win this unless you're actively poisonous and even then someone will boil you until you aren't anymore.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Doesn't seem to do it any favours.

Really you're pretty hosed as a vegetable when humans are around. Lettuce tries to stay under the radar and gets stuffed into a sandwich, onions and chilis develop irritants and they end up right next to it. You can't win this unless you're actively poisonous and even then someone will boil you until you aren't anymore.
Capsaicin peppers apparently developed capsaicin to keep land animals from eating their fruit. This means that birds, who give no fucks about capsaicin, are more likely to consume the seeds and end up dispersing them over wherever they fly.

So to be a good citizen whenever I eat some habaneros I drive across town and take a dump in someone else's yard.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Midwest salad recipe:

Huge pile of shredded iceberg lettuce
Half a bag of shredded Kraft cheddar or jack cheese
Half a bottle of ranch or creamy-italian/french dressin'

Croutons optional

edit: also this served at chain steakhouses everywhere

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 30, 2014

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is that your idea of a point for or against lettuce?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think it's just a reason for us all to commit suicide right now.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think it's just a reason for us all to commit suicide right now.

Steakhouse salads are delicious provided they use delicious dressing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Wedge salads are approximately the laziest loving thing ever. About the only thing they have going for them is that they usually default to coming with a blue cheese dressing instead of loving ranch, but the chances of getting a decent blue cheese dressing out of your typical steakhouse is effectively zero.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Wedge salads are approximately the laziest loving thing ever. About the only thing they have going for them is that they usually default to coming with a blue cheese dressing instead of loving ranch, but the chances of getting a decent blue cheese dressing out of your typical steakhouse is effectively zero.

You can do a pretty good wedge salad by doing a quick egg white wash on the outside and grilling it! Disclaimer: I've yet to do the egg wash, but grilling is nice and I think it'd help.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wookums posted:

You can do a pretty good wedge salad by doing a quick egg white wash on the outside and grilling it! Disclaimer: I've yet to do the egg wash, but grilling is nice and I think it'd help.
Yeah, the way I do a wedge salad I use an egg too. I don't use a grill though, I just use a hot pan, and add the egg after I've removed it from the heat so it's just carryover heat, so it's cooked but stays smooth. I also don't use bacon bits or whatever the gently caress, but some chunks of nice pancetta or something, with just a little minced garlic. And instead of blue cheese dressing I use pecorino or p-reggiano grated real fine on a microplane. And instead of the iceberg lettuce I substitute some nice cooked pasta, like spaghetti. It's really the best wedge salad.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

Yeah, the way I do a wedge salad I use an egg too. I don't use a grill though, I just use a hot pan, and add the egg after I've removed it from the heat so it's just carryover heat, so it's cooked but stays smooth. I also don't use bacon bits or whatever the gently caress, but some chunks of nice pancetta or something, with just a little minced garlic. And instead of blue cheese dressing I use pecorino or p-reggiano grated real fine on a microplane. And instead of the iceberg lettuce I substitute some nice cooked pasta, like spaghetti. It's really the best wedge salad.

This sounds so much better than typical wedge salad that if I were to order it at a restaurant, it shouldn't even be in the same section of the menu.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Maybe gamers would like lettuces more if they could get "Extreme Ranch Romaine" or "Nacho Blasted Iceberg?"

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Sometimes, when I'm drunk, I'll eat a head of iceberg lettuce because it's crunchy. Otherwise, there are better leafy things to eat.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

SubG posted:

You had me going for most of that... Then I thought, who the gently caress eats salad?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Salad dressing delivery vehicle.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
It keeps your bowl of Bac-Os and ranch from becoming too goony.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I've never gotten a wedge salad but I guess you aren't supposed to just stab it with your fork and gnaw a hunk out of the side of it?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mons Hubris posted:

I've never gotten a wedge salad but I guess you aren't supposed to just stab it with your fork and gnaw a hunk out of the side of it?

I think it depends on if you're a filthy barbarian or not.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

pandaK posted:

I think it depends on if you're a filthy barbarian or not.

Barbarians wouldn't eat lettuce. They're smarter than that.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Spinach is the superior leaf veggie op.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
They have very high concentrates of nutrients vs their low calories, so that you don't die of cancer and heart disease at 30 years old.
http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/andi-food-scores.aspx

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I don't mind lettuce too much; it adds a nice bit of crunch, moisture and body to a sandwich without adding lots of calories, has good nutritional value, and has a mild enough flavor to not overpower anything else.

Iceberg lettuce is still poo poo, however, and isn't really lettuce as far as I'm concerned.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Ristolaz posted:

Jesus Christ!
No, communion wafers are a type of cracker, not a vegetable.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

Tupperwarez posted:

No, communion wafers are a type of cracker, not a vegetable.

What if you want to eat a jesus but are low carb??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

KWC posted:

What if you want to eat a jesus but are low carb??

Perhaps Christianity isn't right for you, then. You need a more veg-like savior. Try looking into Schiavoism.

• Locked thread