Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Miles' dad was a lot more interesting as a kid who grew up in a really lovely neighbourhood and managed to leave it behind, while his brother didn't. That was real, and grounded, even if the brother in question was a supervillain.

Then instead of just kind of being a morally grey kinda guy it turned out the ultimate prowler was like, mega evil, and Bendis had Miles accidentally kill him. Wheee, I'm having so much fun reading this Spider-man book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shinjobi posted:

I'm haunted by that now, since this is the first time I've heard of it. I dream of a brighter day.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/brian-michael-bendis-on-the-evolution-of-ultimate-spide-1756865129

BMB posted:

I’ve been working on the book constantly since 1999 [laughs]. The experience never goes away. The only difference is that I had, at one point, resigned from the book. I was like “Oh, Miles is gonna come to the proper Marvel universe, I guess I’ll tip my yarmulke and bow out,” and ride out into the sunset thinking we’d taken [Miles Morales] much farther than we’d ever thought we would be able to.

What I didn’t know at the time was how much real estate there is for Miles in this universe. I didn’t know he was going to be on Mark Waid’s Avengers team. I didn’t know Dan Slott’s plans for Peter Parker that would basically need someone like Miles to take the more traditional Spider-Man role in the Marvel Universe. These things we so exciting, and there were so many story ideas that we were at a Marvel retreat—which is when we all get together in New York, and talk about our stuff—and I turned to Axel [Alonso, Marvel’s Editor-in-Chief] and said “I didn’t know what was happening, I’m not sure I want to leave the book!” and he said “Yeah, we didn’t think you were. We didn’t make plans, we thought you were staying!”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, gently caress you Bendis.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Well, gently caress you Bendis.

Can I empty quote this? Because I loving love Miles but I can't bring myself to continue buying the book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Straight up, that Avengers Annual about Kamala reading all sorts of Marvel Fanfiction and finishing with Miles' furry self-insert/Kamala fluff felt like the best exploration of Miles himself as a character in years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since SW Bendis really does seem to have lost the direction with Miles. I feel like there's a better writer out there who could bring him into his own again but I have no idea who that could be.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Since SW Bendis really does seem to have lost the direction with Miles. I feel like there's a better writer out there who could bring him into his own again but I have no idea who that could be.

Dan Slott?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Dan Slott?

...of course

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lurdiak posted:

Dan Slott?

you

you loving monster

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I kind of wonder if Slott & Bendis are in an unspoken game of chicken over who's going to blink first and let the other guy claim the 'longest run on Spider-Man' trophy.

When, really, the fact theyve both been writing so long is kind of a damning indictment of Marvel in general.

At least theyre getting new blood in with Zdarsky (& depending how you look at it, Conway).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhyno posted:

the dad stuff was the direction things were already heading before secret wars; it just got rushed out the gate there because the universe was ending. everything after peter inexplicably came back, then instantly left felt rushed to me

rip miles' hydra brainwashed girlfriend. always felt kinda bad for her

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I kind of wonder if Slott & Bendis are in an unspoken game of chicken over who's going to blink first and let the other guy claim the 'longest run on Spider-Man' trophy.

When, really, the fact theyve both been writing so long is kind of a damning indictment of Marvel in general.

At least theyre getting new blood in with Zdarsky (& depending how you look at it, Conway).

Bendis already has 16 years

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Bendis already has 16 years

But thanks to the publishing schedule Slott has nearly as many issues.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bendis Vs Slott: Whoever wins the longest run, we lose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

But thanks to the publishing schedule Slott has nearly as many issues.

Bendis/Bagley already beat the Lee/Kirby record for most issues by writer/artist team for the initial run of Ultimate, he should just quit and be satisfied with that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's pretty telling to me that my favorite Spider-Man comic right now is Spider-Man/Deadpool.

Dire straights for the arachnid dude

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

It's pretty telling to me that my favorite Spider-Man comic right now is Spider-Man/Deadpool.

ASM hasn't been any good for so long now.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Aside from the fill-ins, that's by Joe Kelly and Ed McGuiness, so there's nothing wrong with thinking that's the best Spidey comic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

renew your vows is good

the main spidey books are in a bad place tho

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm still just sitting here though. The dad subplot took up so much time of each Miles adventure. So drat much. Was the whole thing just a badly written, badly executed excuse for this current family drama? Was Miles being found out not enough for Bendis?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Was the stuff where Kaine comes back that eventually lead to him becoming Scarlet Spider any good. I know Scarlet Spider was, I'm asking about the stuff before.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Spider Island had some fun ideas and one of my favorite Punisher stories, but like almost all of Slott's Spidey events, the main story is bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Didn't Kaine initially come back before that. I know he was in Grim Hunt, but I can't recall if that came before or after Spider-Island.

It's all poo poo anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Was the stuff where Kaine comes back that eventually lead to him becoming Scarlet Spider any good. I know Scarlet Spider was, I'm asking about the stuff before.

Not really. Grim Hunt has some fans but it's kinda forced and "Peter uses THE MARK OF KAINE" stuff is just eyerolling. Spider-Island is a Big Stupid Event mostly.

Lurdiak posted:

Didn't Kaine initially come back before that. I know he was in Grim Hunt, but I can't recall if that came before or after Spider-Island.

It's all poo poo anyway.

It was before. He dies in Grim Hunt and then gets revived in Spider-Island.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/852997417481981953

I don't believe for a second that this story will be even remotely close to whatever Bendis had planned after Spider-men. That said, here's hoping it'll be his big finale to his Miles run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/852997417481981953

I don't believe for a second that this story will be even remotely close to whatever Bendis had planned after Spider-men. That said, here's hoping it'll be his big finale to his Miles run.

Unless they open a door back to the UU this is probably a totally new story.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
excited to see how bendis manages to completely marginalize miles in his own story this time!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Introducing 616 Miles' dad.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lurdiak posted:

Introducing 616 Miles' dad.

Hahahahaha I'm just waiting for his dad to borrow the suit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hooray! Bombshell returns to Spider-Man! I wonder what will--

--:what:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bombshell's been around in that book for ages. they just haven't done anything with her beyond a couple minor cameos

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah....this week you could call it a minor cameo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you know what I meant!!!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but check this out-
https://twitter.com/MrSheldon/status/872692496760950785
He translated the background song

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I found it quite amusing that like 5% of Scarlet Spider #3 was used on plot and the rest was devoted entirely to hastily coming up with a reason to get him out of that poo poo costume as fast as possible and back into his old one. Can't believe they ever used it in the first place, but kudos for not digging in their heels and getting rid of it ASAP.

Venom was just "eh," I found the story for why the symbiote abandoned Flash in the previous issue very lackluster and am having a hard time getting into this series. I dunno, I thought Flash as Venom was very fun and enjoyed it the whole time, I've yet to see a real justification story-wise for why the symbiote needed to leave him and as a result, this volume isn't connecting with me at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but check this out-
https://twitter.com/MrSheldon/status/872692496760950785
He translated the background song

That's awesome. Someone should find the original writer of the Spider Punk story and show him this. And ask him when we're getting a Spider Punk mini series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I forgot his screen name, but he posts(ed) here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
.....Wasn't that actually Vulpes Vulpes

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, I wrote it (hence the dead horse &c). I haven't worked for Marvel since, so if there's plans for a mini, it's nothing I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I was going to say but I honestly wasn't sure if OMN was making a joke.

• Locked thread