Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Xun posted:

what was Goonusin?

Opps, Goonunism* which is where folks donated items to get Delabucks to buy other items from the "Goon Bank". A hilarious scheme Delamore used to gently caress unsuspecting goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Imagine bit coins or arcade coins where you gave delamore all the items you could so he could distribute it so things were built for goons or sell on the market so that we could buy things off of the market for goons

except delamore realized it was easier to embezzle money if he offered people "delamore bucks" instead of the in game currency

And also sold in game items to some guy in honk kong in exchange for paint balls since he couldn't get hard cash for them

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
My favorite scam was was selling low cost mats (like Iron for 65W) in large stacks in my stall and then randomly in the middle putting one of them for 65L. It always felt great to wake up one day and see 10D in my mail.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
The best scams were just finding people with buy orders set at a bad price and using it as a gateway to fleece all their coins and items.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Hy_C posted:

My favorite part was watching goons repeatedly fall into the trap known as Goonunism while Delamore traded it away for paintballs.

I’m so sorry for my crimes

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I still have incomprehensible screenshots of poorly translated UI elements from this game in my folders.

I might not have been a well known goon but I had lots of fun hiding in corners during those weird base battles playing the Chinese harp or whatever because I sucked so bad at actual pvp. Also bucket brigade!

Too bad the game turned to p2w poo poo :(

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Coolwhoami posted:

I don't know if you were one of them, but I felt bad for the goons who literally did nothing but spend all day gathering material to trade into his funds.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The musician skill was really cool (and sort of useful) when it worked. I don't think any of the debuff songs actually did anything.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
paying for premium time with subway gift cards remains the strangest part of my short experience

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

SweetBro posted:

My favorite scam was was selling low cost mats (like Iron for 65W) in large stacks in my stall and then randomly in the middle putting one of them for 65L. It always felt great to wake up one day and see 10D in my mail.

I used to have stalls that sold mats at reasonable prices and bought them for much lower and people would say I was scamming them when they confused buy and sell and bought out my inventory to sell back to me at reduced prices. Oh and selling horse spears that you could only use in one specific dungeon that were free there.

Avynte posted:

paying for premium time with subway gift cards remains the strangest part of my short experience

God that was amazing. :allears:

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Not sure who started the rumors, but people assumed that because I also did trades with my own funds that I was spending goon money. Surprisingly since I was spending most of my time trading stuff for goonunism I also managed to buy and sell stuff for my own profit, who would have guessed?
I think most of the players who spread it had no idea just how expensive crafting was in this game, none of the players who did goonunism crafting ever spoke out against it because they got to see first hand just how crazy the costs involved were.
I think it was something like 10L materials to craft, 40L enchant cost to enchant 4x, and anywhere from 30-150L in materials used for 4x upgrading depending on what tier of armor it was. When we wiped the first spreadsheet to clean out inactives and start a new one there was something like 200+ goons who had received almost full sets of armor which was like 5 or so pieces each and I think we probably did over 100+ on the next sheet too.
Haven't bothered posting about this before because it seems like it's pissing in the wind trying to speak up about rumors from a long dead game, but it's awkward having people bring up something just out right wrong all these years later.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I made money by making million alt accounts that crunched poison stones together and I seriously should have just scammed people instead.
Then I bought something from that goon spreadsheet auction, shoes maybe?, concluded that I had won Wushu and stopped playing, thanks for putting the effort into crafting those.
Based on the emails I got later, someone hacked that account. I regret not selling it.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

LegionAreI posted:

I still have incomprehensible screenshots of poorly translated UI elements from this game in my folders.

I might not have been a well known goon but I had lots of fun hiding in corners during those weird base battles playing the Chinese harp or whatever because I sucked so bad at actual pvp. Also bucket brigade!

Too bad the game turned to p2w poo poo :(

When I was the only person who built Blood Blade inner on the server, guild wars against us must have been awful.

It disabled music on proc and made people horse for 30% hp instead of nearly full, so I would just fly through spitting out AoEs and mopping up idiots while abusing super armor skills. That inner was ridiculous :allears:

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
I think it was the camaraderie that set it apart. Sure, a game that I can woo Dongfang with gifts is pretty loving odd, but that task would have been a boring slog without the chat behind it. Gathering mats for the guild upgrades or being babysat thru an instance was always fun for me. Most people would not have tolerated an old woman expat, who is inherently bad at games at that let alone high ping, but you all were always welcoming. I moved on from Belgium and am now in Norway, but I have never found the same absurdly magical mix of good people since then online.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think you mean crashing the server with lemon trees

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

funakupo posted:

I think it was the camaraderie that set it apart. Sure, a game that I can woo Dongfang with gifts is pretty loving odd, but that task would have been a boring slog without the chat behind it. Gathering mats for the guild upgrades or being babysat thru an instance was always fun for me. Most people would not have tolerated an old woman expat, who is inherently bad at games at that let alone high ping, but you all were always welcoming. I moved on from Belgium and am now in Norway, but I have never found the same absurdly magical mix of good people since then online.

I was upset when you left for wulin, you were one of the most active chatters in the guild.

I'm honestly surprised there are basically no private servers or leaks for this game, I think with the right people behind it it could be fun but :shrug:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Delamore posted:

Not sure who started the rumors, but people assumed that because I also did trades with my own funds that I was spending goon money. Surprisingly since I was spending most of my time trading stuff for goonunism I also managed to buy and sell stuff for my own profit, who would have guessed?
I think most of the players who spread it had no idea just how expensive crafting was in this game, none of the players who did goonunism crafting ever spoke out against it because they got to see first hand just how crazy the costs involved were.
I think it was something like 10L materials to craft, 40L enchant cost to enchant 4x, and anywhere from 30-150L in materials used for 4x upgrading depending on what tier of armor it was. When we wiped the first spreadsheet to clean out inactives and start a new one there was something like 200+ goons who had received almost full sets of armor which was like 5 or so pieces each and I think we probably did over 100+ on the next sheet too.
Haven't bothered posting about this before because it seems like it's pissing in the wind trying to speak up about rumors from a long dead game, but it's awkward having people bring up something just out right wrong all these years later.

Yeah, I never wanted to say anything about this but if people are ragging on Dela for nonsense like that then gently caress it. I was one of the people that made clothes for all the goons that were new or needed better gear. If you ever saw someone getting the words PAAAAAANNTS shrieked at them in chat, or someone offering to make clothes for people that needed them on the quick then that was me.

Delamore and the other goons that handled financing and supplying crafting always made themselves available for mats to help me try to get the goons outfitted. It wasn't enough. And I want to make it clear this was in no way their fault. Sometimes we had people on at weird timeslots that needed items or gear right then and I didn't want to make them wait to get outfitted with gear, sometimes the workload was just that big and we didn't have enough supplies on the guild side of things, and quite often the simple fact was that I was left scrounging up resources on my own time and paying out of my own pockets so that other goons wouldn't feel gimped when it came to having fun and trolling all the rabid assholes that played this game.

Delamore laid out the details of crafting in this game better than I can remember so I won't get into that. Suffice to say that crafting in this game was truly, truly, truly, fuckin' truly a bitch at the "supply an entire guild" level of "play" due to how many resources it ate up. It got to the point that towards the end of my time on the game my time was spent almost entirely alternating between farming/grinding for whatever high value items seemed to be selling at the time on my own time before semi AFKing in the market most of the day trying to sell poo poo to get the Liang (or whatever it was called) to craft. This was because we had that much demand for finished goods and that few suppliers giving us the mats and cash we needed to get everyone what they needed. Couple this with the fact that sometimes it could take time to get supplies from a guild member and even without the supply and demand issues it was sometimes necessary to do the supply work yourself instead of making someone wait who knows how long.

This of course got me yelled at by some of the more obnoxious/paranoid goons that thought I was selling the proceeds of goonunism, to my frustration. I mostly kept my mouth shut back then however. Seeing people go after other goons for the same thing though makes me wish that I had yelled at the people doing that to gently caress off to wherever that one creepy sex tourist whale of a goon went too instead of trying to calmly explain that no --- your paranoid delusions are in not in fact reality.

throw to first drat IT posted:

Based on the emails I got later, someone hacked that account. I regret not selling it.

Funnily enough, this is what made me quit for good. Someone hacked my account because account security was awful to the point that the company probably left the passwords and such unsecured. It took me like a month or more to get it back only for me to realize that all but one of my characters had been deleted and the one that was left had an absolutely empty inventory, was buck naked, and was broke due to them somehow managing to jack even the PVE cash type.

Naturally I sent a message to their tech support system requesting to have all my things restored since the game was fairly unplayable without all my stuff. I eventually got a badly typed response that basically amounted to "lol no" and had to say gently caress it because coming back from that was more painful than it was fun.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 12, 2020

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Haquer posted:

I was upset when you left for wulin, you were one of the most active chatters in the guild.

I'm honestly surprised there are basically no private servers or leaks for this game, I think with the right people behind it it could be fun but :shrug:

There's a Vietnamese private server but it's also hella pay2win.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SweetBro posted:

There's a Vietnamese private server but it's also hella pay2win.

Yeah there is a leak out there ~somewhere~ but a few hours of googling later I have yet to happen upon it. Probably doesn't help I can't read Chinese and can't find it that way.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zipline posted:

Also, probably my favorite memory was waking up at the crack of dawn to log in in time to witness my best friend be executed in the town square for crimes against humanity.

I was on the other side of this for my friend and I. IIRC I happened to be in... whatever that tiny city was that there was never any reason to go to when a school war or something ended (Luoyang maybe?) I was just standing around and suddenly a hundred semi-afk players were all dumped right next to me, clipping inside each other. I did what any bored goon would do and turned on PVP mode, used the royal guard spin2win. Immediately went well into purple territory and got chucked in prison. Friend and I made sure to wake up plenty early the next day to see my execution first hand.

We still reminisce about this and a ton of other stories from time to time. Truly a special (awful) game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Breaking goons out of their executions and being labeled as traitors(?) for a time was always hilarious. Although I still think the weirdest part of explaining the game to non-players was the entire school rules punishment system and playing board games in jail with people you had just finished fighting.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I know how much effort when into crafting. I was there when Grithok was making the spreadsheets. I'm just saying, mixing both your wallet and the goon bank didn't help allay any paranoia. Not to mention when right as you get a goon to donate a loom you start talking about trading for paintballs. I'll stop digging up skeletons but you not addressing it back then didn't help at all.

Coolwhoami posted:

I just realized you were Kolo lol.

Rynoto posted:

Breaking goons out of their executions and being labeled as traitors(?) for a time was always hilarious. Although I still think the weirdest part of explaining the game to non-players was the entire school rules punishment system and playing board games in jail with people you had just finished fighting.

Participating in the defense to get Drinkfist executed was 10/10.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Delamore posted:

I received a full suit of copper tier gear early on, although one of the shirts was the wrong alignment, then I was criticized by 3rdworldreggin for equipping it.

"You should've known better!"

"This is Age of Wushu, nobody knows poo poo."

Also I contributed so much gaultheria that I was asked to tone it down due to how full the inbox was getting. Then the next week I needed to get back to gathering because crafting had outpaced the supply.

funakupo posted:

"SEARCH FOR SEEDS! RARE SEEDS!" then we focused on lemon seeds. :) I remember doing instances and people just being so good natured about goon projects like that.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 13, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hy_C posted:

I know how much effort when into crafting. I was there when Grithok was making the spreadsheets. I'm just saying, mixing both your wallet and the goon bank didn't help allay any paranoia. Not to mention when right as you get a goon to donate a loom you start talking about trading for paintballs. I'll stop digging up skeletons but you not addressing it back then didn't help at all.

Well, sorry you were paranoid over us doing whatever we could to get people gear as quickly as possible?

I mean, I don't know what you're expecting to get here. We already covered what a nightmare it was to get people outfitted and how we were going far enough to get everyone what they needed that we were screwing up our own enjoyment of the game and you're like "Well you should have been more considerate of my paranoia!". On a game that we all quit playing years ago for that matter.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I received a full suit of copper tier gear early on, although one of the shirts was the wrong alignment, then I was criticized by 3rdworldreggin for equipping it.

"You should've known better!"

"This is Age of Wushu, nobody knows poo poo."

Also I contributed so much gaultheria that I was asked to tone it down due to how full the inbox was getting. Then the next week I needed to get back to gathering because crafting had outpaced the supply.

I vaguely remember this. I think I got like a ton of some crafting mats just shoved at me through the mail (?) system because we had a massive overflow of some sort of resource and ended up using them up by the end of the day. Though why this of all things is one of the things I remember (alongside organizing the drunken riot in Chengdu and the lead up to it with a few goons basically hanging out in some backwater town for a week getting piss drunk, vomiting on each other and any randoms who wandered into the city before setting the booze vomit on fire for shits and giggles, and beating each other with sticks like hooligans in the case of the beggars.) is beyond me.

Beggar alone was ridiculous. What other game let you play as a beggar that starts out whipping wild dogs with a stick and eventually progresses to being able to power bomb people off the top of mountains while they do kung fu group training exercises? And that's before you get into the drunken kung fu poo poo that let goons basically run a booze powered kung fu war crimes and terror unit in medieval wuxia china.

This game was such a weird fever dream sort of experience.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 13, 2020

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Hy_C posted:

Yeah there were tons of things I could have done better, like almost everything in this crazy game crafting was a chaotic mess and I was in way over my head. I remember when we used looms I was selling off the highest rank (jade?) shirts to fund gear for goons, because in my mind either I can give one goon a shirt with slightly better stats or 20 goons shirts with ok stats, wondering all the while why people were paying just so much extra for these jade shirts with almost exactly the same stats gold ones. Then one of our PvP players informs me that the text on jade shirts, that on every other piece of gear is just badly translated flavor text, well this text is actually a game mechanic and has a chance of blocking stuns, welp. The Dongbucks, that people eventually ended up calling DelaBux was my janky solution to how do I decide who gets what might be 3 jade shirts per loom out of what was at times over a hundred goons.
It was all so much simpler when everyone was naked and any gear was an upgrade.
You can call me out for all the plenty of mistakes I made while trying to gear up goons, but I never used from the fund for myself.

For all that went down in this weird game, it's probably some of the best fun I've had in any MMO, especially as a euro since I'd login and find out that over night goons had found some new madness lurking in chinagame. It doesn't feel like any game will ever match up again

Did anything at all ever come from hanging out with the Dong family?
Did any of the 100s of mysteries ever go anywhere?
What was that cave hidden behind the rock with a 5 elements puzzle and a single lone man in a jail cell exist for?
Did it actually matter if you were friends with NPCs at all?
Did bosses actually drop their skill set if you did the dungeon on nightmare?
Did anyone else ever see a rank 5 skill book for another school other than me for one worthless skill?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Delamore posted:

Did anything at all ever come from hanging out with the Dong family?
Did any of the 100s of mysteries ever go anywhere?
What was that cave hidden behind the rock with a 5 elements puzzle and a single lone man in a jail cell exist for?
Did it actually matter if you were friends with NPCs at all?
Did bosses actually drop their skill set if you did the dungeon on nightmare?
Did anyone else ever see a rank 5 skill book for another school other than me for one worthless skill?

Yes. They would become a "mini-faction" which anyone can learn their skillsets from after completing a long questline for them.
No.
One of the reclusive faction's daily IIRC.
Yes. You can get them as bodyguards and unlock extra useless quest.
Yes.
Yes.

Granted this is my experience on the Chinese server.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

SweetBro posted:

Yes. They would become a "mini-faction" which anyone can learn their skillsets from after completing a long questline for them.
No.
One of the reclusive faction's daily IIRC.
Yes. You can get them as bodyguards and unlock extra useless quest.
Yes.
Yes.

Granted this is my experience on the Chinese server.

Were the tier 5 school skills just really really rare from script stealing? that's what I gathered since there was no other way to get them when I was playing, was before the mount tournament stuff.
The skill sets from the dungeons, were they just really rare or did that get added later? we always talked about that first dungeons boss who had this really cool sword set but I did tons of dungeons on the hardest mode and never saw them drop, but I guess I also saw lots of one off drops too there was just so many things in this game that were super rare

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Delamore posted:

Were the tier 5 school skills just really really rare from script stealing? that's what I gathered since there was no other way to get them when I was playing, was before the mount tournament stuff.
The skill sets from the dungeons, were they just really rare or did that get added later? we always talked about that first dungeons boss who had this really cool sword set but I did tons of dungeons on the hardest mode and never saw them drop, but I guess I also saw lots of one off drops too there was just so many things in this game that were super rare

Not sure about the T5s, but the dungeon skill sets weren't that rare. They drop one skill at a time, 1-3, then level 4, then level 5. You could get the whole set from the first dungeon for like 1D a month into the new server being launched.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 14, 2020

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Part of the reason you got a bad rap was because you did mix funds, delabux, then logged in one day to cash out not knowing what was goonunisim or your own.

I think I told people back then that i didn't care if you embezzled some since you were doing a lot of the work.

EDIT: And to be fair, I ended up with a lot of the scam money from various goons and goose step, somehow, and spent a large portion of that on global chat yelling about squirrel nuts.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 14, 2020

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
My greatest regret was never getting double air dash (or possibly having the random event happen where the lady gives it to you and being half asleep and missing it)

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Third World Reagan posted:

Part of the reason you got a bad rap was because you did mix funds, delabux, then logged in one day to cash out not knowing what was goonunisim or your own.

I think I told people back then that i didn't care if you embezzled some since you were doing a lot of the work.

EDIT: And to be fair, I ended up with a lot of the scam money from various goons and goose step, somehow, and spent a large portion of that on global chat yelling about squirrel nuts.
I mostly cashed out my own cash as I was getting since good chances didn't come so often which made it pretty easy to keep track of what money I actually had, tons of mine ended up being from scamming because I was selling and buying the absurd amounts required for goonunism I could just straight up tell gold sellers they had to send me the gold first cause I was clearly the more trustworthy merchant and then tell them if they said anything about it I'd report them for gold selling.

As far as delabux went, it was just a measurement of how much people put into goonunism that they could spend on the top end stuff that came out of it late game. The reason the balance never added up is because it wasn't that great of a system and people got far more bux for their donations than they ever spent on the system.
Didn't help that I was losing interest in the game and so were so many of the people I was enjoying playing with at that time so the system didn't last long.
It was almost sad when I was trying to get the random encounters because I was using piles of accounts of friends who had quit to increase the chance of getting it, almost like a goon graveyard waiting on a kungfu master to come give them tai chi

most of my screenshots got wiped at some point, but still got these

also the full late game wushu experience

Game client, mumble, spreadsheets, database of account passwords, folders of content extracted from the game to delve deeper into secrets and a pirated kung fu film.
This game got me more into kung fu and wuxia movies than I ever was before

Delamore fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 14, 2020

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
There's an LP of Cultivation Rimworld game going on if you want to relive the experience or something.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

This game got me to do some dumb poo poo like having ~50 accounts grinding cultivation books. The saddest day was when they patched 0 cost movement skills and I could no longer air dash across the entire zone.

Hy_C fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 14, 2020

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Hy_C posted:

and I could no longer air dash across the entire zone.

You couldn't, maybe. I was never good at the game, but my Monkey and I will live on as China's Fastest Goon.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Mile'ionaha posted:

You couldn't, maybe. I was never good at the game, but my Monkey and I will live on as China's Fastest Goon.

You could with do it reliably with AHK. There were a few other AHK scripts I used to have. There was one which would animation cancel whatever attack I was using into the formation stance no one used. Would just look like I was taking a squat while goosing around. You could weave in any attack after a goose and use it to hide a guard break. Good ol’ Liberatore and Treizebee gave me that one.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Before the forums die, Grithok what does a bookcase look like?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Before the forums die, Grithok what does a bookcase look like?

A miserable pile of secrets

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cultivation simulator trip report.

i had a guy that was kinda a necromancer and could hop into other bodies

he also had a spell to create puppets out of dead bodies as well as consume living creatures for cultivation

long story short, the icons are not translated and I ended up hoping into a cats body, losing the cultivator

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Congrats, you just founded the furry sect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lorem ipsum posted:

Congrats, you just founded the furry sect.

Going by the Let's Play, demon cultivators are literally animals that gained sentience (and some sort of humanish body) through cultivation, so that kind of already exists.