Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Says someone with a sparkly unicorn avatar. :what:

Bitch you don't NEED to eat the rainbow to be the rainbow. It i inside of you all a long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:colbert:
:henget:
:stonk:

You can just FEEL the uncomfortableness radiating down through the authority levels in that picture. The blocking in that cutscene is a loving work of art with the fourth level of discomfort being of course the audience's who are even more freaked the gently caress out than Pvt. Caliban is.

See, Killzone IS a work of Shakespearean brilliance!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

The weapon's lethality depends on the ammunition used. I'm not super versed on guns, so if any wants to share information about these types of weapons to help me make crow feel bad, please do so!

Rotary grenade launchers like that are really common nowadays. The Milkor MGL you posted (in use with the US military as the M32) is the most famous example, as it's widely produced and used by Western nations, but there's examples from other places like Russia and Croatia. You always see them simply acting like double-action revolvers, but the massive weight of the cylinder means the MGL uses a spring that the user winds up before loading. It still has a double-action trigger (where the firing pin is cocked and released by the trigger pull), but it actually uses a gas system like a rifle to unlock the cylinder and allow it to rotate to the next chamber. It's a very neat mechanical device that typically gets glossed over in fiction in favor of rapid fire explosions.

In terms of their riot use....well, go watch videos from Ferguson.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 1, 2015

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Seeing the MGL in games always makes me annoyed - not anything to do with the gun itself, but it reminds me how it was all anyone used for a while in Far Cry 2 multiplayer because it was so unbalanced.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biosterous posted:

Seeing the MGL in games always makes me annoyed - not anything to do with the gun itself, but it reminds me how it was all anyone used for a while in Far Cry 2 multiplayer because it was so unbalanced.

Though in single player it was the best way to roll a checkpoint. Didn't feel like fighting or getting into a car chase for the literally hundredth time? Just dump a few grenades from out of range and drive through the fire.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

paragon1 posted:

To be fair to crow, these games suck.

No, don't encourage him!

nine-gear crow posted:

Though I'm just realizing now that I didn't throw my copy of Liberation in there with the mainline games. poo poo.

You couldn't bring yourself to do it because Liberation is objectively A Good Game.

Anyways, the real joke here is not that crow should stop eating delicious, nectar of the gods Skittles, but that he bought them at a movie theatre. That bag must've cost $30. The real trick is to get your candy before hand from a super market and bring it in with you. Bonus points if you get your snacks bulk.

chitoryu12 posted:

Though in single player it was the best way to roll a checkpoint. Didn't feel like fighting or getting into a car chase for the literally hundredth time? Just dump a few grenades from out of range and drive through the fire.

Those checkpoints are what killed my enthusiasm for FarCry 2 and are why I never finished it. I miss the sci-fi cliches from the first FarCry. Also, the XBox 360's FarCry Instincts: Predator, which was the best game on the console, as far as I'm concerned.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
So in the video you said that KZ: Mercenary is set far in the future of the KZ universe like Shadowfall, it's actually set all throughout the original trilogy. It starts just after the end of the first game, and runs through various points within the first three games, via month/year time jumps. (It even reuses some clips from the first three games and Liberation in its cutscenes, but :ssh: ) Considering you're a mercenary contractor in that it makes sense you wouldn't be on the ground throughout the whole war, just when the ISA and Helghast feel like paying you for a super special job.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh, woops! My bad. Yeah, you're absolutely right--Mercenary takes place throughout the series. I knew this fact, but it slipped my mind because I still haven't had a chance to play the game. crow usually catches these things and makes funny edits about how wrong I am, but we obviously both missed it this time. Thanks for the heads up. I'll make a note of it in the post.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how you can wreck the helicopter without ever really walking into its firing arc.

Kwality!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glazius posted:

I like how you can wreck the helicopter without ever really walking into its firing arc.

Kwality!

I find it no mistake that Sally and crow LPed Shadows of the Empire in retrospect. The game where the usual boss fight tactic is "Stand in this spot and he won't be able to hit you."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chitoryu12 posted:

I find it no mistake that Sally and crow LPed Shadows of the Empire in retrospect. The game where the usual boss fight tactic is "Stand in this spot and he won't be able to hit you."

That--is, uh, not a theme I expected to run throughout our LPs. Huh. Imagine that.

Anyways, we're doing something slightly different with the latest batch of videos. We had a guest on to commentate, realized the chapters in questions were extremely boring, so we had nothing interesting to talk about, so we scrapped our original recordings. In order to make them interesting, we're going to be doing some fancy editing. crow is hoping to have something ready for the weekend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ya'll we're talking about people not knowing who Shakespeare is; I had a student who had never heard of Hitler. I teach adults.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lotish posted:

Ya'll we're talking about people not knowing who Shakespeare is; I had a student who had never heard of Hitler. I teach adults.

:stare: ...Christ.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Who?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I heard he was just some guy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

I heard he was just some guy.

I think that's Brian.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So, funny story: crow had spent his free time working on the video for this weekend, right? Well, when it came down to the time to record the audio for it, it turned out that he had accidentally spent his time working on the Chapter 8 video instead of the Chapter 7 video.

"Now why would crow go and do a silly thing like that?" you ask.

You see, it's because we are officially at the most uninteresting part of Killzone 1. The stages in this section exist as little more than padding and are basically identical corridors of washed-out, colourless empty grasslands populated by Helghast. He honestly mixed up the two chapters in editing because they are so samey.

Good news, though, is that Chapter 8 had some quick turn around and we actually wound up recording the audio for both chapters this weekend. So we'll finished editing the tracks together and uploading them, and hopefully have them up within the week.

In the meantime, we both did a guest video on Putty's Skyrim Mod-Extravaganza: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611462&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post437779568

This week's theme was "Space".

Sally fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 27, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It was literally a matter of opening Premiere and going, "wait, 8? I thought we we're on 7." And then assuming we'd already done 7 because 7 and 8 look EXACTLY THE loving SAME!

On the plus side, however, the LP now has 100% more Putty in it than it did this time last week because we were able to rerecord our botched 7 run with him after we did Skyrim. :woop:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Somehow this LP keeps going and it is IMPRESSIVE

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This next chapter is a particularly egregious example of when Guerrilla decided to start padding out levels to increase the play time. Not a whole lot happens here, so we've cut down the three stages into a single "abridged" video. You're not missing anything, trust us.

Amongst the rolling hills of the North Vektan grasslands.

Enter Hakha, who approaches a downed Helghast and listens on their radio.

Enter Templar, Velasquez, and Luger opposite.

VELASQUEZ
Jesus! You trying to give me a heart attack?

LUGER
Yonder route tis abound with Helghast. Beyond lay a beacon, amidst those far hills. T'will be occupied, were I to guess. Nay, but we could move as swift as Hermes and as quiet as Hades, should we chose.

VELASQUEZ
A beacon?

TEMPLAR
Aye. Tis an autonomous cartographer, mapping the land for the SD platforms above. Shall we?

HAKHA
Stay yourselves!

VELASQUEZ
What's it saying?

HAKHA
Shut up your mouth! Tis General Adams. He moves for the beacon.

LUGER
Jan, Adams is not our priority--

TEMPLAR
Do not take me for a fool, I know our mission, and right now that villain is a realistic target.

VELASQUEZ
So let's go take him out!

Exit all

Enter Templar, Velasquez, Luger, and Hakha, having fought their way to the GPS beacon.

TEMPLAR
Adams, the fiend, he was never here!

LUGER
T'was a set-up, and we tooketh the bait.

VELASQUEZ
That's it!

TEMPLAR
'Sblood! Enough, Rico, enough!

HAKHA
Pray, tell that ninny that I was meant to o'erhear that message. My crime, my only crime, was that I doth believed it.

VELASQUEZ
Well I don't trust that Ghast gently caress. We got that information about Adams from him and now I say we ditch him. Don't wanna kill him? Fine. But I say we dump him. Cover our tracks.

LUGER
As four, Jan, we have but one chance. We have none as three.

TEMPLAR
Even more calculations?

LUGER
Nay, I do trust him, Jan.

TEMPLAR
Thou hath not to liketh the man, Rico, but pray, only to stand alongside him.

VELASQUEZ
Oh man.

TEMPLAR
For what he hath done already. For he will do in the name of our cause. If he were to be capture, they shalt tar him and feather him, before being drawn and quartered. I trust he will stay by our side.

Exit Rico Velasquez and Hakha

TEMPLAR
Thou fancy he?

LUGER
We need his strength, and his wit. Tis but a risk assessment.

TEMPLAR
Thou art changéd.

Exeunt

In space, aboard the SD platform.

Enter Caliban and Adams

ADAMS
Failed? God's blood! Failed? I cannot comprehend, there are but four of them!
Did I not order the attack? Did I not call for fire to rain down from the heavens upon them?
Did I not command our troops to lay into their flank and tear the flesh from their bones?
Did I not set up that encounter on my terms? How, then, did they walk away from it?

LENTE
Thou seemeth perturbed, General.

ADAMS
Fear not, I shall have them.

LENTE
No, General, I am afraid you will not. It seems to me that to hunt a Helghan, a Helghan must be sent. Thus, I shall take on the task myself. Worry not, I shall see to it that Scolar Visari is made aware of your contribution. Stay the course and await the Earth ships, I shall return.

Exit

ADAMS
I am sure you will.

Exeunt

"I had a little puppy for a while in Vekta. For a period of three days, I would take this little puppy and squeeze it until it would yelp. Or twist its little paw.

"I knew what I was doing. I knew that I was transferring something into this little puppy. Somebody or something had to suffer for all the pain inside of me, and it was going to be the puppy.

"I was so horrified by my behaviour that I gave the puppy to someone else. I had to get it out of my sight.

"I don't think I would have killed it, but I didn't quite know where this spark of sadism was going to lead me. It went against the grain of who I thought I was. I had a sense of being split in two."

It rises like a wave of nausea in your throat, out of nowhere, uncontrolled, the dry, bitter taste of evil.

You're walking the dog and in canine goofiness he insists on sniffing one empty square of sidewalk, holding his ground until you jerk the leash so hard the choke chain almost cuts his windpipe in two.

A child says "No" at just the wrong time and you swallow hard when you find yourself towering over your own flesh and blood with murder in your eye.

You actually slam on the brakes, jump out of the car and run back to rip the throat out of the tailgater behind you before he can roll up his windows.

An uneasy joke escapes from the knot of petty viciousness inside you and you seem to stand outside yourself as you watch it metamorphosize to malicious teasing.

Suddenly you're tormenting some other human being--usually someone you love--until he's ready to take a wild swing at you.

The feeling passes quickly leaving you shaking with every thump of your heart, wondering where in this sane and ordered world a psycho like that comes from.

But that psycho was you, the other you, the darker side, the one who knows all the nasty things you've done or thought in the privacy of your mind, the flipside of your conscience that hoards the merest slights and demands revenge no matter how petty, how misdirected.

No eighteen-year-old kid went to Vekta thinking, "Oh boy, now I'm going to be evil." But most of them met their darker sides face to face in that war.

A few of them had an adolescent meanness which blossomed ugly, nurtured by the circumstances they found in Vekta. Many of them indulged the ruthlessness they discovered as part of the instinct to survive.

For all the glory words like duty, honour and valour, war runs best on evil, a breeder reactor that vomits out a hell full of pain for the little spark of sadism people feed into it.

Evil was encouraged with rewards of medals, time off from the horror, a hot meal.

How else can you convince boys to kill one another day after day? And when the darker side grabs the upper hand, takes control, how else can it be excused?

Vektan veterans do not have the luxury of dismissing evil as a momentary aberration in an otherwise civilized world.

They have seen the ugliness humans are capable of inflicting--that they themselves are capable of inflicting.

The brutal stories are delivered with a nervous chuckle, dirty jokes from another world that don't quite survive translation. "I guess you had to be there".

But there is no enjoyment in the telling.

The hesitant laughter is self-defense, a shaky feint to keep the evil at arm's length. If the mortal slapstick can be kept in a cartoon life, maybe the shadow of inhumanity can be denied a little longer, the personal pain can be buried a little deeper."

Putty

Blind Sally convinced Putty to stop abusing absolutely lovely Skyrim mods for a few minutes and join him and Crow to comment on the most boring stretch of an already boring game--everyone involved immediately regretted it.

Regardless, Putty was a good enough sport to not just suffer through this level once, but TWICE after the original commentary audio was lost in, and I quote, “an incident we no longer talk about.” If Killzone is boring you as much as it’s boring the gently caress out of Crow right now, then check out Putty’s (100% Lore-Friendly!) Skyrim Mods LP thread, specifically the video where he takes Sally and Crow to space with him.

This is the unique Helghast that was hanging around at the GPS beacon at the end of our "reverse tower defense" segment. He is equipped with a laser designator (the helmet combined with a gun-like targetting device), which paints ground targets for Helghast artillery to rain fire upon. Sounds like a fun weapon, right? It sure would be fun to use it ourselves, right? Use the Helghast's own weapons against them, eh?

We start with it next mission! :v:

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, remember JamieTheD from way back in Killzone Chapter 3? Well I recently returned the favour and guested on his LP of the Wipeout series. The video is here, if you're interested. If you at all like fast moving furturistic hover-craft racing with missiles and bombs and sweet soundtracks, you should absolutely take a glance!

Sally fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 8, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I legit feel sorry for you guys for having to actually finish this game at this point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I legit feel sorry for you guys for having to actually finish this game at this point.

The weight of this sad time we must obey; speak what we feel, not what we ought to say.
The oldest hath borne most: we that are young shall never see so much, nor live so long.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
We're in The poo poo, right now, soldier. The poo poo. It's not pretty, but we'll make it through. We'll win this war, God's drat it, we'll win this war.

Also, thank you for quoting Edgar. It's very fitting, considering we triggered Putty's FPS PTSD.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

It was me. I got the Animorphs reference :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

biosterous posted:

You are a hero and I salute you, good sir. :patriot:

GOOD NEWS! I'm working on Chapter 8 tonight so we should have an update ready for you whenever Blind Sally gets off his rear end and writes the post for it.

We're almost done the poo poo game in the series people. Almost done...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

biosterous posted:

Stop encouraging crow!

(Unless it's encouraging him to hurry up with videos)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
While illness and work drags down our own project, crow and I have managed to make time to appear in other's. I want to give a shout-out to CJacob's Dead Space 3 thread, because it's a game that looks like a lot of fun, but with absolutely terrible atmosphere and plot execution!

Currently, it's just CJacobs and I, but later videos will also include nine-gear crow! Also, CJacobs plans to get other people to join him through co-op missions as well, to make sure we live the full effect of DS3. Check it out! Or don't. It's up to you!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
On Adams. One thing that constantly bites the ISA is the sheer treason the ISA generals does to their own people. The Helghast may be a brutal dictatorship but in the end of the day they stand united against the invaders. Here the ISA forces are desperate. No defectors to aid them, no brass to lend them a hand. Its a war the ISA should have lost

A combination of Norway and Frances worst military moments

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well the best playable character, Hakha, is a Helghast defector :3: But he's only a Colonel--though he was Chief Of Staff for a high-ranking official when he was still with the Helghast.

But yeah, that's a really valid point. For whatever reason, the ISA can't catch a break with its Generals. They're either all hosed up, incompetent traitors, or they drop dead within a few minutes of being introduced to the player.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Well the best playable character, Hakha, is a Helghast defector :3: But he's only a Colonel--though he was Chief Of Staff for a high-ranking official when he was still with the Helghast.

But yeah, that's a really valid point. For whatever reason, the ISA can't catch a break with its Generals. They're either all hosed up, incompetent traitors, or they drop dead within a few minutes of being introduced to the player.

Hence why the Norwegian/French comparison. Vekta had a similar defense line akin to the Maginot. And it's pretty cool to see this LP happen, the local Killzone discussions usually ends up as a Helghast circlejerk. In my opinion though, a Helghast campaign should be unapologetically evil. It should make the ISA invasion brutal and show how hopeless it is for the ISA and how it is more of an extermination of vermin that defies what the Helghast are deluded to believe. QTEs where you brutally execute a civilian trying to defy you, fighting human waves of scared ISA recruits outgunned and slaughtered with pertrusite weapons, make it obvious that you are a conqueror.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

gyrobot posted:

Hence why the Norwegian/French comparison. Vekta had a similar defense line akin to the Maginot. And it's pretty cool to see this LP happen, the local Killzone discussions usually ends up as a Helghast circlejerk. In my opinion though, a Helghast campaign should be unapologetically evil. It should make the ISA invasion brutal and show how hopeless it is for the ISA and how it is more of an extermination of vermin that defies what the Helghast are deluded to believe. QTEs where you brutally execute a civilian trying to defy you, fighting human waves of scared ISA recruits outgunned and slaughtered with pertrusite weapons, make it obvious that you are a conqueror.

I got the impression from the series that in 1 & 3 they were outnumbered and in 2 they were outgunned but overall the ISA was a well trained military force. Never did I think that the ISA was a conscript army that fought by giving a rifle to a young man and told him to go shoot things. I interpreted it as soldiers making a valiant but misguided last stand rather than scared conscripts anticipating death for nought.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

I got the impression from the series that in 1 & 3 they were outnumbered and in 2 they were outgunned but overall the ISA was a well trained military force. Never did I think that the ISA was a conscript army that fought by giving a rifle to a young man and told him to go shoot things. I interpreted it as soldiers making a valiant but misguided last stand rather than scared conscripts anticipating death for nought.

Compared to the Helghast though, they may as well be undermotivated conscripts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm all caught up on the LP again and all I can say is that this game looks totally unfun to play, I don't know how you guys keep yourselves going.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lazyfire posted:

I'm all caught up on the LP again and all I can say is that this game looks totally unfun to play, I don't know how you guys keep yourselves going.

The later games are a lot better. A LOT better. This one hasn't aged well at all. Killzone: Liberation is still one of best games on the PSP, and based on what I've seen of your current LP, Killzone 3 shares a lot of similarities with Wolfenstein: Brave New World.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

gyrobot posted:

Hence why the Norwegian/French comparison.

Yeah, I got the French connection (hahahaha) right away, but I admit, my knowledge from the Norwegian perspective is a bit lacking. I'm familiar with Vidkun Quisling, but that's about it. If you're able to supplement or expand upon Norway during WW2, I would personally be super interested to hear it.

w/r/t the ISA, they are a bit outclassed by the Helghast to start with, yeah. Overall, they are the greater power, with greater resources and technology. However, they are not at all the militarized nation that Helghan is. Vekta has a regular army, but they aren't able to mobilize it until Killzone 2. Killzone 1 and Liberation are fought largely by the Rapid Reaction Force (Units of highly trained ISA soldiers on constant stand-by, such as Templar) and the Shadow Marshalls.

EDIT: oh yeah, and I was going through YouTube videos to put together a "Music Of Killzone" post, and there is still a crazy amount of Helghast worship. It's a bit strange. Everyone roots for the Helghast, it seems, and it gets real circlejerky. There's also a lot of Killzone 1 apologists--and while I like the first game, it's really hard to defend these middle chapters.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, I got the French connection (hahahaha) right away, but I admit, my knowledge from the Norwegian perspective is a bit lacking. I'm familiar with Vidkun Quisling, but that's about it. If you're able to supplement or expand upon Norway during WW2, I would personally be super interested to hear it.

w/r/t the ISA, they are a bit outclassed by the Helghast to start with, yeah. Overall, they are the greater power, with greater resources and technology. However, they are not at all the militarized nation that Helghan is. Vekta has a regular army, but they aren't able to mobilize it until Killzone 2. Killzone 1 and Liberation are fought largely by the Rapid Reaction Force (Units of highly trained ISA soldiers on constant stand-by, such as Templar) and the Shadow Marshalls.

EDIT: oh yeah, and I was going through YouTube videos to put together a "Music Of Killzone" post, and there is still a crazy amount of Helghast worship. It's a bit strange. Everyone roots for the Helghast, it seems, and it gets real circlejerky. There's also a lot of Killzone 1 apologists--and while I like the first game, it's really hard to defend these middle chapters.

Norway was supposed to become the last bastion of the Reich, Vekta in 3 surrendered. During Shadowfall, half of the country became a bastion for the Helghast after it became very obvious the Helghast kicked the ISA's collective teeth in. But people love to throw parallels of ISA being SpaceAmerica. If the ISA were a mix of SpaceSoviets with SpaceFrench (aka hardline generals who performs field executions of disobdient men while being ruthless avatars of war who one mans Helghast soldies) more people would like the ISA.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 12, 2014

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

gyrobot posted:

Norway was supposed to become the last bastion of the Reich, Vekta in 3 surrendered. During Shadowfall, half of the country became a bastion for the Helghast after it became very obvious the Helghast kicked the ISA's collective teeth in. But people love to throw parallels of ISA being SpaceAmerica. If the ISA were a mix of SpaceSoviets with SpaceFrench (aka hardline generals who performs field executions of disobdient men while being ruthless avatars of war who one mans Helghast soldies) more people would like the ISA.

French Soldiers are pretty badass. Not as badass as the Poles, but then again who is?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Canadian soldiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

Canadian soldiers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_22nd_Regiment