Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Will we going into the theoretical First Worlds War that likely transpired to make the start of Killzone a straight retelling of WW2 when it shows up in game or are people free to discuss the history leading up to the beginning?

As for the flag, there may be even further symbolism and similarities to in the three points of the Triad to the Nazi flag, as according to Sherree Owens Zalampas's Adolf Hitler: A Psychological Interpretation of His Views on Architecture, Art, and Music, three itself seems to be a very recurring theme in swastika's design.

Sherree Owens Zalampas, page 43 posted:

In Mein Kampf, Hitler discussed at length his selection of colors for the swastika flag. He decided to use black, white and red because they had “the most brilliant harmony in existence,” because he had been a soldier under these colors, and because their aesthetic effect they were most compatible with his feelings. He rejected all designs which were submitted to him in favor of his own design – a red background, a white disk and a black swastika in the middle. He stated that the red meant the social ideal of the movement, the white stressed the nationalistic idea, and the swastika represented the mission of the Aryan race.

Also I'm willing to bet Visari is more Mussolini than Hitler, even if Helgan is a more easily identifiable Germany. He may deliver a shared basic theatrics to his speech methods - like how it builds into a loud and frightful march after talking about the planet making them stronger (even though the game cheated by bring up orchestral scores instead of relying only on the strength of his delivery); but we have yet to see this Autarch manipulate fashionable lateness to build up tension in the crowd nor bald women fainting at the sight of his arrival.:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
To me that separated boots screams Kemmerich's Boots from All Quiet on the Western Front. A good pair of boots were one of the most precious commodities a soldier could have in the Great War, it was both comfort and protection against the horrors of Trench Foot caused by likely sitting around in dank, deteriorating trench conditions for possibly months as you wait for the next senseless charge of the day. I mean, for God's sake, this was the war where one of its deadliest battles, Verdun, spanned the course of over 9 bloody months. In the book, the boots bring nothing but death or misery to those that possess them. And yet they are still coveted and taken, from mutilated friends or robbed from corpses that obviously no longer need them. "What good are they to you, (Franz)? I can use them!"

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 2, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Blind Sally posted:

Ha, clever! I would never have caught that. I haven't read All Quiet On The Western Front since grade school. Considering that first level seems very obviously to be trying to evoke imagery or ideas from WWI and trench combat, I think that discarded boot (which looks to be in excellent shape) could very well be a reference to All Quiet. It's certainly one of the more well-known pieces of WWI literature. The question then is are the ISA supposed to representative of these characters struggling in the trenches, or is the boot supposed to be more evocative of the Space Nazis now bearing down on the protagonists?

(Or perhaps it's just a subtle nod to a great book?)

Depending on who could have worn it, it would be a little strange if it was from an ISA soldier because the people who wore it or coveted the seemingly always well-kept Cavalry Officer Riding boots were all German. Which would be all the more stranger that clearly high thigh boots would be worn at all in the far flung future, unless there’s some possible subtle hint to a second Gilded Age mentality for the ISA. If it was from some Helgan trooper it would first be a little weird in imagining a scenario where they either died or lost their boot, but also a little humanizing trying to imagine the aforementioned scenarios and tie them directly to the characters of the book. In the end, the easiest explanation is just direct reference material for someone lucky enough to spot it.

But then again, who says the Helgan are too collectivist? Visari clearly has an eye for merchandising if he’s putting the iconic look of his soldiers on boots! (Yes, its technically for Killzone 3, but all the same very :psyduck:)

• Locked thread