Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Strong Mouse posted:

(Also, I am hearing a distinct lack of iambic pentameter from you two. This is Shakespeare, man. You've got to really get into it!)

Loveth this poo poo, Scolar Visari does.

Bang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
We're definitely looking at bringing in co-commentators for different levels. All we've got recorded is level 1 right now.

I'll let Blind Sally make the call on it though, so PM him first you're interested.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What's more, the Helghast insignia is a tripartite symbol. If we're continuing with the Visari Helgan is an amalgamation of all major dictatorships idea, it draws an interesting parallel to the iconography of the Workers Party of Korea, the ruling dictatorship of North Korea. It's symbol is meant to represent the cooperation and codependency of the worker, the farmer and the intellectual in the survival of the Korean state, or rather in the survival of the Kim family.

We're going to be seeing a lot more of Helgan iconography as we head into the Killzone 2 and 3, and the parallels to the Soviet and Korean "mythology of the state" is beyond unnerving at times.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

Too bad their isn't a proper TV out or a good way to record from a Vita or I'd find the time to help you with this. I'd like to see how you'd analyze the story from it :)

Yeah, what the hell Sony? I looked online and people are selling juryrigged Vitas with forced HDMI outputs and homebrew firmware suites and that's about the only way you can do footage capture on them until Vita TV comes stateside, if ever. And they cost more than both a Vita and a decent capture card combined.

That said, the offer is appreciated, and if anyone does want to kick in with Shadow Fall on the PS4, they're more than welcome to because after going through the original quadrilogy and seeing the "Oh, Christ! :ohdear:" note that KZ3 ended on, I'm definitely interested in seeing where things go from there.

By the way, we've got footage for 1, 2, and Liberation done, and I'm going to be laying down the footage for 3 this week, I'm hoping. 1 and 2 have Blind Sally behind the controller. Liberation has both of us playing in order to show off co-op and give a certain character we will be meeting later on a chance to make a final appearance in the franchise. And then I'll be behind the controller to finish things up for Killzone 3.

This is probably our most genuinely collaborative LP yet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. It doesn't seem to to be working. I'll check it on my PC and see what the hell is going on and re-upload it if needed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, dammit, YouTube done goofed and the commentary videos for stages 1 and 2 aren't playing properly. The good news is the rest of the level 1 videos are. Give me an hour and a half or so to reupload them and we'll try this again.

In the meantime, here's a couple of things I was asked to do by Blind Sally asked me to do but I never got around to it because I spent all last night restoring my iPad after Apple's stupid iOS update bug bricked it.

:doom: AAAAAAAAAPPPPPLLLEEE!!!!!

First up is the character portrait for poor Pvt. Sanchez.

And though you can't see the video yet, here's a preview of what we've lovingly dubbed "Killzone Physics" wherein characters will glitch the gently caress out and start doing stuff like this:

More often than not it usually only happens when characters ragdoll after death, but there are a few instance of the live AI doing some pretty bonkers stuff that we encounter. Its primarily confined to the first game though, but when we do come across "Killzone Physics" in games 2 and 3 will we gladly point them out to you.

Also, one last bit of personal analysis on the ISA logo:

This variant of the ISA logo is only seen in Killzone 1 and has been dubbed the ISA "sun" logo by players. There's no offical go-to version of it available online. I had to plumb the depths of DeviantArt to find a useable vector of it for the LP. That said, thanks to DA user FenixArtBox for the vector. (Just try to ignore all the My Little Pony artwork...).

Anyway, the sun logo is trying to colour your perception of the ISA as the unambiguous "good" guys here. Their logo is a sun, a source of light and warmth and prosperity. There are no sharp edges on the logo unlike the Helghast logo, indicating that the ISA's authority radiates outwards seemingly benevolently, as opposed to hostilely like the barbs of the Helghast logo.

Morever, the logo is green in colour, as opposed to the Helghast's black, red and white logo. The choice of colour here seemingly indicates that the ISA are on the side of "life" as all their equipment and iconography are seemingly verdant colours: green logo, green armour, warm orange highlights on their armour, and in Killzone 2 and Killzone 3, they also have soft blue lights added to their armour to contrast the harsh red and orange lights of the Helghast soldiers.

And yet, you'll notice that the ISA logo, in both versions, is a very grey, almost sickly green colour. The implication, when looking at it through a Colour Theory lens seems to indicate that, yes, there is life here, but it's slowly dying too.

This is compounded when you look at the variation between the two ISA logos between Killzone 1 and Liberation/2/3. In the first game where the ISA are allegedly the good guys, their logo is the sun variant. In the rest of the series, where the waters of the ISA's true nature and characterization becomes muddied (significantly), it's replaced with the simple sphere logo. The warmth and light has been stripped away from the ISA. They're no longer worthy of having the sun as their emblem any more, and there's a moment in Killzone 2 that demonstrates this kind in such a way I was actually struck by the symbolism of it when it happened.

....On and it also kind of looks like the OSHA High Explosive warning sign too.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 1, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And that's that. The new videos have been uploaded and they should work properly now. Sorry about the delay.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SiteMeister posted:

Perhaps a minor quibble, Sire Mander, but 'tis "exeunt," E before U.

Wonder if any other media critic or satirist has used high-art trappings to not only snark dismissively about pop culture media, but draw attention to themes people may have overlooked. Too much of modern satire is genuine misanthropy in a flimsy comedic disguise, so you get a lot of really uninteresting meanness for its own sake.

The closest thing I can think of is "Brows Held High" by Kyle Kallgren aka Oancitizen on That Guy With The Glasses/Chez Apocalypse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crabtree posted:

But then again, who says the Helgan are too collectivist? Visari clearly has an eye for merchandising if he’s putting the iconic look of his soldiers on boots! (Yes, its technically for Killzone 3, but all the same very :psyduck:)

Well, in that case it's Jorhan Stahl merching the poo poo out of everything, which, as well see when we get to Killzone 3, is entirely in-character for Stahl! :aaaaa:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's some more example of "Killzone Physics".

We dubbed this poor bastard "Sgt. Stripper" while we were playing through the game because of his unfortunate tendency to die in, well... compromising positions vis-a-vis a pole each time we replayed the level.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Also not sure if this came up in the Star Wars: SotE thread but is there a particular reason why all your videos are unlisted on youtube?

The initial idea we had was the LPs were supposed to be accessible only through Something Awful. Though I suppose it's kind of silly idea and is a little harder to justify now that SotE is up on the LP Archive for all to see. If there's a large public outcry for it, I'll make the videos public, but for now you can just chalk it up to "crow is kinda weird like that". :shrug:

EDIT: Also, it's SHAMEFUL PLUG TIME!

We're in the midst of recruiting co-commentators for upcoming videos. If you feel like you have something semi-relevant to say about Killzone, or anything in general, or you just want to be a part of this whole experience and gain FABULOUS WEALTH AND WORLD-WIDE RECOGNITION from helping a pair of jackasses tweak a first-person shooter franchise for the internet, then fire off a PM to Blind Sally or email me at ninegearcrowsa @ gmail . com and we'll see about working something out.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 10, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I should also point out that the Helghast tank in stage 4 is completely killable with your regular weapons on Normal. I was replaying the PS2 version of Killzone last night for footage capture purposes. The audio on the Level 2 source video is wildly out of synch and it's so bad I can't even fix it with Premiere, so I'm using the PS2 Killzone for this level to give us a comparison between the original and the HD remake. And anyway, I went into stage 4 with 4 RPGs still on me. And of course, since Helghast tanks take only 3 RPGs to go down, I just waited out the APCs and unloaded on the tank when it shows up.

Then when the ISA Lancers show up, the guy who originally cheers the arrival in the video goes "better late than never, boys! :rolleyes:" so I thought that was a nifty detail worth sharing.

Oh, and the jackass from the animated gif stands in THE EXACT SAME POSITION in the PS2 original. To the point where he was actually blocking my line of sight on the last Helghast soldier you need to clear out to advance the stage.

So I just shot right through him and got the Helghast goon in the barrage. :black101:

Also, be on the lookout for a video called "nine-gear crow sucks at grenades". Wherein I constantly forget that I didn't remap the crouch and grenade buttons and am constantly limp-wrist tossing grenades two feet in front of my face and panicking when I realize what I've done.

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

(Why do I feel like by the end of this thread we'll have a :911: emote but with a Helghast face and flag?)

If this isn't a thing by the time we're done this LP, I will be very sad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probably a hard-moded Vita or someone with access to a Vita dev kit, if I had to guess. Because a screenshot like that is way too specific for some random publicity boilerplate screencap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lateinshowing posted:

Hrmmm..... not sure if you've mentioned this, but are you going to be showing the other character missions off at some point (After you unlock said characters of course)? The token female we get has RADICALLY different missions than the rest and I always enjoyed them. The other two are fun as well sometimes.

Yes. Will will be showing off the different playstles of all four characters and how they affect certain levels.

The only place that forces you to take different paths in a mission is the last level. But we'll get there in due time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

I played Killzone 1, and for the longest God damned time I thought General Anime was voiced by Alec Baldwin.
Now I know better.

That's an interesting bit of happenstance in regard to casting of the games. The ISA don't have any big name stars or even big name voice actors attached to them outside of Sean Pertwee, which in and of itself is undermined since Hakha's half-Helghast and the other characters he voiced in the series are pure Helghast. Meanwhile, the Helghans have Brian Cox, Malcolm McDowell, and Ray Winstone on their side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lotish posted:

I have no experience with the game, and I automatically like the Helghast more just because the ISA look loving dumb and generic and in every commercial I've seen they talk like absolute assholes.

And we haven't even met Rico yet. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's a sad day for the ISA when you realize that the most visually inventive their character design gets... is General Anime.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just noticed that the No Commentary video is actually from the scrapped PS3 run. So you actually do get to see a bit of how this stage looks in high def and the curious audio desynch that forced me to turf the entire level and re-play through it all on the PS2.

Also, in the HD version, you can make out the brandname of the water coolers we're obsessively destroying throughout the level. They're called Jargogle, which according to Matador Network is an obsolete English verb meaning "to confuse or jumble".

Interesting...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Fun fact: Tomas Sevchenko is able to leap his own height vertically from a crouching position in under a second. :eng101:

It is known.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm working on getting the next set of videos ready but it's been a slog lately. They are coming, however.

In the meanwhile, here's something spawned out of the commentary recording session we did tonight. Presenting "Luger according to Gildiss":

:wtc:

I was also asked to do.... this.... by Blind Sally

That's Robert Z'Dar, 1980's b-movie actor of Samurai Cop fame(?), notable for, much like poor Luger, having a face that's unsettlingly large compared to the rest of his head.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 10, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Now here's the question you need to ask yourselves: is Blind Sally a terrible shot with Luger's SMG, or was he dick shotting those poor Helghast intentionally? :tinfoil:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I'm probably too late to help out, but I swear I figured out through my own play of Killzone some time back that Luger's silenced shots will veer based on where the gun model itself is, that is, it moves back and forth as an idle animation, and I think that affects the weapon's aim. I'm probably hideously wrong, but if that is the case, it could be related to how you guys noticed that the sniper rifle shots still come from the bottom right of the screen while zoomed.

In less :tinfoil:, I love the disappointed head-shake Jan does when you move away from him on the character select screen.

Yeah, every character has thier own approval/disapproval animation when you select or deselect them. My favorite it Hakah's, where he just kind of rolls his eyes at you and walks away, like he's going"yeah, thanks for wasting my time, jackass."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Rico is a dumb rear end in a top hat

After surviving four games worth of Rico in nearly as many months, that is about the most succinct summation of his entire character that I could ever hope to produce.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paragon1 posted:

[SLANDER]

:frogout:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the Canterbury Tales ends with a monk strapped to a wheel and being spun around so he can fart on the rest of his monastic brothers. :negative:

The story of how he got there is hilarious, but still. :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Whew. Okay, tech issues are over once more. Our current tally:

• x1 dead laptop (dead HDD, broken monitor cable)
  • x2 new laptops returned (broken keyboard and usb ports for one, dying HDD for the other)
  • x1 dead power supply
  • (plus some issues with the LP backup on external HDD)

It seems the powers that be do not want us to finish this Killzone LP. Ha, ever undaunted we shall sally forth!

Add:

• x1 idiot wiping the thermal grease off his CPU nearly melting the thing by accident.

:sweatdrop:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

• Destroyed the forums by posting batshit insane Minesweeper LP

Fixed that for ya.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yes. Whilst this video was being recorded, I was locked in a concrete room with my hands ziptied behind my back, screaming vulgarities at the top of my lungs while trying to LP White Knight Chronicles on the wall with my own feces.

It was a thoroughly relaxing break from trying LP the game for real.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Time for some more Killzone physics:

And for an alternate version: [CLICK FOR SEIZURE]

Also, I'm pretty sure the woman on the graffiti is Cass Elliot.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 5, 2014

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Let Us Playeth Robert D'Zar: The First-Person Shooter - Nobody Asked For/Wanted This

Robert Z'Dar :eng101:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herr Tog posted:

Wait where is the minesweeper lp?

Right here.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, Guerrilla did a decent job at balancing Templar, Luger, and Rico... And then just torpedoed it when it came to Hakha.

There is pretty much no reason NOT to play as Hakha from Chapter 5 onward.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That's the tricky part which the game doesn't bother explaining in-game. Helghast is both a national identifier and an ethnic nor as well. I think it's the characters in the game letting their racism or at the very least their xenophobia get the better of them by casting the Helghast as an inhuman or hybridized Other rather than what they really are: humans who have adapted to thrive in a specific environment over several generations.

Helghast have paler, almost greenish skin tones, higher tolerance for radiation levels, inhibited hair growth in some cases, and difficulty breathing in non-Helgan atmospheres (hence the breather masks). It's like how people in the Andes have thicker chests and larger lung capacities than people who live at sea level do. They've adapted to thrive in their chosen environment, but they're still human.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No.

The LP is over. I deleted all the footage and files out of spite.

I hate Killzone.

That motherfucking seawall. It did it again. It loving did it AGAIN!

The LP is still on. Its just that audio synch/encoding/slow upload speeds/YouTube bullshit are really derailing things right now. I'm working on it though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gildiss posted:

No ones hair can ever be as bad as General Anime's.

Wander into the White Knight Chronicles thread when you get the chance. Have I got some poo poo to show you...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Skip to 7:45 to see exactly what this game is all about.

That's where it goes from "KILLZONE! :argh:" to "KILLZONE! :woop:"

Also, the timing on the commentary is a few seconds out of synch for one reason or another, but I'm not going to fix it because I HAVE loving HAD IT WITH EDITING THIS LEVEL ALREADY! :tizzy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, the timing on the commentary is a few seconds out of synch for one reason or another, but I'm not going to fix it because I HAVE loving HAD IT WITH EDITING THIS LEVEL ALREADY! :tizzy:

Not to quote myself for no reason, but yeah... This was the level where everything went wrong for us technically, which really sucks because Gildiss was a fantastic guest to have on.

The next levels should hopefully go a little smoother, but yeah we are running smack into the "boring as poo poo" stretch of the first game.

Once again I apologize for how utterly hosed this whole level was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mother of god, what have you done to my table of contents? :cripes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

JFK was assassinated. LBJ happened. Robert McNamara happened. Richard Nixon happened.

You missed one: Henry Kissinger happened. :eng101:

Also, I'm quite proud of the new TOC. After like five different attempts I finally got it right. That last one was nothing short of insane. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Almost forgot Kissinger. Thanks.

Also, which last one? Your last one, or mine? See, mine was like performance art, see. You just didn't understaaaaaand.

I was a talking about mine. It was just this overly complex mass of slices and did not work at all. I'm actually happy you came up with the one you did. It gave me a lot of inspiration.

• Locked thread