Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Timeless Appeal posted:

At least Heaven is for Real seems to be just simplistic reassurance about the fact that life goes on after death rather than trying to take part in any culture war.

Heaven Is For Real is a loving weird movie. It's so weird that I can't really hate it. There are so many bizarre direction choices in it that it comes across as a horror movie. Apparently in the book, the kid starts explaining about the coming war between God and Satan, but the movie literally only says the word "Hell" once, so it completely glosses over its own obvious questions. Also, the kid meets his miscarried sister in Heaven.

It is also the longest review I have ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Conal Cochran posted:

This thread seems redundant. We already have a thread dedicated to Christian movies, which this has already become, since less than half of the posts are about this film specifically.

I had the same thought, and then decided I didn't really care. The Christian movie thread is pretty dead anyway, and this one will die off soon too. We wind up having this conversation across multiple threads every few months anyway.

The only way I think a Christian movie megathread would ever really be sustainable is if someone took the time to routinel update it with upcoming movies or reviews of existing ones, like the Who Greenlighted thread. And even then, lot of these movies get posted in that thread anyway.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I haven't consulted them in a long time so I don't know what they look like now, but Christianity Today used to be one of the better review outlets out there, because they were one of the few review sites that really conducted any kind of in-depth analysis and talked about themes and subtext.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Dopilsya posted:

I just got back from visiting home, and my parents had me watch a really poo poo movie called Faith Like Potatoes. It didn't have quite the strawmen that other ones of these apparently love so much, but it was inarguably the worst sort of drek I've ever seen.

It got me thinking, do other religions make films like these? It seems to me that e.g. the Jewish community probably wouldn't react well to a movie which claimed the greatest persecution one can face is the quasi-imagined slight of people believing different things, but if it exists I would love to watch it.

fake edit
I guess Ong-Bak had that villain who literally said "I have no respect for religion" and smashed Buddha statues, but the true plot of Ong-Bak was "Tony Jaa kickboxes the poo poo out of guys" so I don't know if that counts.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately too, and I think what it comes down to is that one of Evangelical Christianity's basic tenants is "go out and convert as many people as you possibly can", whereas Judaism I believe is not. So these films are seen as conversion tools. The only religion which would come close to that in terms of conversion needs is Islam, and I don't think we'll see an Islamic propaganda film recieve wide release here in the US anytime soon.

• Locked thread