Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While I think that's probably true, I would rather have a curfew than just straight up 24/7 martial law, which is the next big step for governors to take, and definitely something the president is pushing them to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
loving hell, this state is facing fiscal armageddon, and legislators want to create a committee on reparations for slavery, and also to assume that Mitch is gonna turn on the money hose for this years budget.

I don't think the magnitude of what is coming has quite sunk in under the dome.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

loving hell, this state is facing fiscal armageddon, and legislators want to create a committee on reparations for slavery, and also to assume that Mitch is gonna turn on the money hose for this years budget.

I don't think the magnitude of what is coming has quite sunk in under the dome.

Yes but have you considered how important it is to VOTE in NOVEMBER

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centrist Committee posted:

Yes but have you considered how important it is to VOTE in NOVEMBER

lol then we get to choose between the “cops shooting people in the heart” vs “cops shooting people in the leg” platforms

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm thinking a lot of Heydrich Lang these days.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
https://twitter.com/LOOOeee/status/1267994298764521472?s=19

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

loving lol.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Believe this justifies a larger picture.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Irvine sucks and the police there suck rear end too. I have definitely seen black kids that are just walking down the street get stopped for no loving reason. It is supposed to be one of the safest cities in CA so when something does actually happen the cops are excited as gently caress to get some "action".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Irvine sucks and the police there suck rear end too. I have definitely seen black kids that are just walking down the street get stopped for no loving reason. It is supposed to be one of the safest cities in CA so when something does actually happen the cops are excited as gently caress to get some "action".

The cops are SUPER well funded. They have dedicated police vans just for traffic collisions.

They also have a gian "Mobile Command Unit" RV that they use for, as far as I can, strictly photo ops. Maybe the only time they used it was when Dorner shot that couple in Irvine.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I swear I've seen 3 cars and 2 officers at a traffic stop before. They really really really like to hang around UCI at least.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Dirk the Average posted:

I swear I've seen 3 cars and 2 officers at a traffic stop before. They really really really like to hang around UCI at least.

Yeah, I went to UCI and I remember talking to a homeless guy that told me that the police go around trying to find and remove homeless people off the streets. Basically Irvine is full of NIMBYs that want to pretend the city doesn't have a homeless problem and just force all the homeless into LA or somewhere else so it's their problem. Plans by the city to create new shelters or allow for tent cities get protested and shot down.

I could still see people sleeping in their cars at night though.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 4, 2020

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

They also have a gian "Mobile Command Unit" RV that they use for, as far as I can, strictly photo ops. Maybe the only time they used it was when Dorner shot that couple in Irvine.

lol the SFPD has one of those too

the only times i've seen it is when theres been enough shootings in downtown in a short enough time period to make the fancy people nervous (so like, 3 day light shootings in the general vicinity of macys, over the course of two weeks, instead of the normal acceptable rate of 3 per month lol). then they park it on market street for a week or whatever

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Yeah, I went to UCI and I remember talking to a homeless guy that told me that the police go around trying to find and remove homeless people off the streets. Basically Irvine is full of NIMBYs that want to pretend the city doesn't have a homeless problem and just force all the homeless into LA or somewhere else so it's their problem. Plans by the city to create new shelters or allow for tent cities get protested and shot down.

I've been working in Irvine for 10 years and see maybe 5 homeless people total. They're all on the borders too where they just get chased off into neighboring cities.
Also there's suspiciously no pigeons anywhere in the city :thunk:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

FCKGW posted:

I've been working in Irvine for 10 years and see maybe 5 homeless people total. They're all on the borders too where they just get chased off into neighboring cities.
Also there's suspiciously no pigeons anywhere in the city :thunk:

And it's a planned city basically owned by the Irvine Company. The city is a libertarian wet dream.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Heh... I slept in my car for a couple months after graduating from UCI. I had to wait until the house I was going to rent with others opened up and I kept my UCI ARC membership for showers/gym.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rah! posted:

lol the SFPD has one of those too

the only times i've seen it is when theres been enough shootings in downtown in a short enough time period to make the fancy people nervous (so like, 3 day light shootings in the general vicinity of macys, over the course of two weeks, instead of the normal acceptable rate of 3 per month lol). then they park it on market street for a week or whatever

I thought that thing was like, permanently parked on Market by bart (powell or civic center) as a show of force for tourists and to make it easier to oppress homeless people

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

luminalflux posted:

I thought that thing was like, permanently parked on Market by bart (powell or civic center) as a show of force for tourists and to make it easier to oppress homeless people

it seems like it shows up every now and then for a couple weeks, usually after some high profile crime thing in the news, and then disappears again

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Dedicated vans for auto accidents seems a pretty reasonable use of public funds, especially compared to the other poo poo that police departments buy. I’d rather police budgets get spent on actually useful traffic stuff like that then PMC toys.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Speaking of Irvine:

https://twitter.com/lizze_d/status/1268380329678499841?s=20

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Was that received via telegram??

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

10 states show recovery, However trust me the recovery will EVAPORATE after we cut that 600 per month out of everyones lifes so you'll be inspired to DIE for AMERICA. FIRST

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Rah! posted:

it seems like it shows up every now and then for a couple weeks, usually after some high profile crime thing in the news, and then disappears again

It gets used in the cop staging area for large events, as well. Cops not needed for traffic control or such are stuffed someplace quiet just in case. Pop up tents or a command center, a bunch of cars, and some pigs with their heads stuck in the donut trough all night.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

10 states show recovery, However trust me the recovery will EVAPORATE after we cut that 600 per month out of everyones lifes so you'll be inspired to DIE for AMERICA. FIRST

A reduction in initial jobless claims isn't recovery, it's slowing of the opposite thing. We still saw 1.88M new jobless claims (nationally) this week; a report like that in 2019 would have grabbed every newspaper's headline as a screaming unemployment disaster. It's just "small" compared to the 5-7M weekly new claims we were seeing in April. Continuing claims increased this week to 21.5M. The four-week moving average of continuing jobless claims are declining slightly, but the monthly report for May (due Friday) is forecast to show an overall rise in unemployment to nearly 20% nationally.

California saw increases of more than 27,000 in initial claims filed last week. California is a bit weird in that we report biweekly, so digging into the data from various news reports is tricky.

tl;dr, we are not in a recovery phase yet, we're just... maybe bending the curve on unemployment right now?

Not coincidentally, California is not seeing a steep decline in new cases, or hospitalizations, or deaths, from Covid-19. New cases is a skewed number because of increase rate of testing, but hospitalizations and deaths gives us a better view of progression of the virus and based on those numbers, we absolutely shouldn't be re-opening now. But we're gonna re-open because the tolerance for continuing closures is falling rapidly.

I think we're in for a big surge in cases in approximately a month, and at that point, unemployment is gonna spring up again as people just stay home, voluntarily even if there's no official re-shutdown, and the payroll protection plans for small businesses run out, and main street retail just dies completely.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm assuming OK's is so low because most people just have "meth dealer" as their occupation.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boredumb posted:

Speaking of Irvine:
Mayor Karen, line 1

loving hell, this state is facing fiscal armageddon, and legislators want to create a committee on reparations for slavery
The gently caress is wrong with that???

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

FCKGW posted:

The cops are SUPER well funded. They have dedicated police vans just for traffic collisions.

I’m not sure if it was this exact RV or something equally stupid but I did see an Irvine Mobile Command vehicle deployed once to support the six police who arrived to solve the mystery of who keyed a man’s Porsche.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

The gently caress is wrong with that???

It's stunningly disingenous when tax revenues have dropped enough that the state faces a real risk of defaulting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I just have to fucken lol when people react to "reduction in (still huge) initial jobless claims" like it's a sign of recovery. It's not. It is literally inevitable. Not eventually reducing would mean entering negative employment.

What we're doing is watching a person bleed out, and clapping because the rate of blood loss is slowing. The body is running out of blood.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

No that everyone has lost their job, there are no more jobs to be lost. As you can see, the number of new jobless claims is now zero! Job well done everyone!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

One of the questions I have had for most of my adult life is when and what would cause Steins Law to kick in on rents in this state rising. Kind of nice to finally have an answer.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 5, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
San Diego putting in work

https://twitter.com/samuelhodgson/status/1268756148854812673

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sincx posted:

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1268741968122675200

:trumppop:

drat i didn't even think about what would happen if the protests lasted into fire season

They should burn down the lovely oakridge mall instead of one of the few slivers of nature in that blasted suburban hellmouth of south san jose. Drops some caltrops on Almaden Expressway leave the bobcats alone

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

They should burn down the lovely oakridge mall instead of one of the few slivers of nature in that blasted suburban hellmouth of south san jose. Drops some caltrops on Almaden Expressway leave the bobcats alone

:hai:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

It's stunningly disingenous when tax revenues have dropped enough that the state faces a real risk of defaulting.

You know it's possible they come back with something that might not be entirely fiscal in nature, right?

I think it's weird that we're worried about running out of money because EVERYONE IS hosed.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

We can take some money out of the police budgets and their pensions, all of it if possible

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

We can take some money out of the police budgets and their pensions, all of it if possible
I've long believed that incidents of aggravated assault/death/falsification of evidence should lead to wiping out the cop's pension and benefit. For betraying the public trust.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

sincx posted:

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1268741968122675200

:trumppop:

drat i didn't even think about what would happen if the protests lasted into fire season

We're in such dire straights at the moment that I think just a handful of people driving around California starting fires would probably bring the entire state to its knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Class Warcraft posted:

We're in such dire straights at the moment that I think just a handful of people driving around California starting fires would probably bring the entire state to its knees.

That's true every year

Good thing we spent all of those billions equipping our cops and military to fight a huge invasion by Al Queda