Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kenning posted:

Yo jury duty owns like hell though. It's bullshit that it can really gently caress with people's livelihood, and that's the pits, but I loved doing jury duty. It's so weird and cool to do something totally different with your day and encounter all sorts of weird people. I'd love to do jury duty again post-pandemic, especially since the trial I was chosen for got...cancelled or whatever after only 1 day of proceedings.

I might have agreed with you if my first and only trial so far hadn't been a month-long emotional clusterfuck that eventually ended with the judge throwing out our (guilty) verdict for lack of evidence

Just, like, give me embezzlement or some low-key poo poo this time, please :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've gotten called for two asbestos trials in San Francisco. The first one I begged off because I was job hunting and dropping interviews for 6-8 weeks could leave me homeless. The second one, pretty much everyone in the jury pool told the defendant's attorney that if their client took prompt and effective measures to mitigate asbestos harm as soon as they learned about it then they were okay. And if they hadn't, go over to the plaintiff's table right now and start writing numbers on sticky notes.

They settled overnight. We showed up and got sent right home the second day.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Go to jury duty. Think about the ridiculous people out there who'd get selected in your place, and realize that you'd want yourself on the jury if the tables were turned (I'm assuming that you're not sexist/racist/homophobic/always take the cop's word at face value). Plus you might get lucky and get a drug case where you can use your jury nullification powers to gently caress up a DA's W/L record so they'll maybe reconsider trying someone for it in the future.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Highbrow Slick posted:

Whatever happened to that Cal/OR/WA/NV virus response collab?
I'd like to know, too.

Best I can figure is Trump stopped confiscating med supplies to give to Kushner and there wasn't a need to band states together against the Gov's idiotic online auction logistics site.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

OC Board of Education Recommends Return To School Without Masks Or Social Distancing

quote:

Most of the discussion from the board focused on the fact that the decisions made were only guidelines and were not enforceable, leaving the final decision for individual school districts to make on their own.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

lol but also rip

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmfao destroy orange county

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

True life my cousins grew up in Coto de Caza, which is like peak OC, and I really like them as people, and they have way more money than me, but they seem legit totally miserable.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I know a guy who lives adjacent to that place. I think specifically to be as close as possible to that place which probably tells you everything you need to know about his outlook on life. he's a libertarian, surprise

He's a huge wine head so I thought I would get his opinion on what wine to pick up for a 20 spot when visiting the family in the Midwest. I got a huge screed about how no wine is good below $200 a bottle, and to not waste my money.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lmfao destroy orange county

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Orange County is pretty much a microcosm of America: mostly populated by decent working class people but run by the most insufferable white suburbanites imaginable.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Please do not talk badly about Orange County thank you.

Steve Rocco

quote:

In 2004, Rocco was elected to Orange Unified School District despite making no public appearances or comments about his candidacy. Although some, were not sure if he would even show up to the board meetings, he did so, and with a theatricality whereby he made speeches about conspiracy theories involving charter schools, his father's death, and a group of politicians and other leaders he calls The Partnership, which he claimed was trying to control the United States and kill Rocco for speaking out against them. Soon, an attempt to recall Rocco was established but failed to garner enough signatures to be put on the ballot. The board did vote to censure Rocco, to which Rocco responded by suing the board, but he lost the case in court.

In September of 2008, he was arrested for stealing a bottle of ketchup from the cafeteria of Chapman University.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I got called to one asbestos appeal in SF where they called 2 full panels (80 people) for one jury and I wasn’t selected. I then got called for another trial where they called our group to get ready to go to the court room, but the judge came down and was like “yo so, you know how they say 80% of life is just showing up? Lol both sides wanted to go to trial up until I told them we had a pool ready for selection then they settled 15 min ago. Enjoy not doing jury duty for a year”

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to do jury duty, but LOL nobody I've ever worked for paid for it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I was on a three-week trial for attempted murder just about a year ago. Everyone involved on all sides was a total rear end in a top hat and I would have loved to have convicted the victim too but had to settle on convicting the accused.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My dad was once on a jury for a hit-and-run that resulted in a death. He said it was completely obvious to everyone that the accused was a complete rear end in a top hat and must have done it, but the DA's lawyer was so utterly incompetent that there was almost no evidence that he was guilty, even though he was obviously guilty, so he got acquitted.

Jury trials are extremely weird.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

there was almost no evidence that he was guilty, even though he was obviously guilty.

Nice try

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:shrug: That's just the story my dad told, idk this happened like 25 years ago.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
You and your dad are part of the problem. HTH.

droll fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 14, 2020

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
It sounds like the dad was on a jury that decided to acquit a probably-guilty defendant because the prosecutor didn't prove the case.

That's actually an example of his dad doing the right thing.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Jury trials are actually bad it's just every other method is equally if not more bad because criminal justice is inherently unjust due to baked in prejudice, political wrangling, and economic influence. Asking folks without necessary knowledge or expertise to decide the life or death fate of others just generally ends up being decided based on performative arts, preconceived bias, and the charisma of the lawyers and involved parties.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

runoverbobby posted:

probably-guilty defendant because the prosecutor didn't prove the case.

They're not probably guilty if there's no evidence. What is wrong with you?

Kenning posted:

there was almost no evidence that he was guilty

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

droll posted:

They're not probably guilty if there's no evidence. What is wrong with you?

I think you're being unduly literal. The poster's implication was that the DA did a lovely job presenting the evidence.

If there was no evidence at all, be upset with the judge who allowed the case to get past a preliminary hearing, not with the jury who held the DA accountable.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry, the prosecutor failed to provide evidence that matched the standards of guilt required by the law. The instinct of the jury was that the dude was probably guilty, but because the prosecutor failed to demonstrate that beyond a reasonable doubt they acquitted. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" is a relatively high standard of proof, and it's appropriate to use such a standard when the consequences involve incarceration etc. There's a reason that many criminal cases that result in acquittal are followed by civil cases (which use lower standards of proof) that result in liabilities. It's not a moral failing for a jury in criminal case to instinctively "know" that someone did the thing they were accused of, but acquit them of it because the prosecution failed to provide evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. That's actually an instance of a jury trial working fairly well, while encompassing the nuance and complexity of human life.

You stupid troll dipshit.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
What are you talking about? The jury found them not guilty because there was no evidence. OP is saying that they were totes guilty though because dad had *feelings*. We're done here. I'm a troll because the system worked to not let someone that wasn't absolutely positively guilty go to prison unfairly. You white cunts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

droll posted:

What are you talking about? The jury found them not guilty because there was no evidence. OP is saying that they were totes guilty though because dad had *feelings*. We're done here. I'm a troll because the system worked to not let someone that wasn't absolutely positively guilty go to prison unfairly. You white cunts.
settle down, beavis

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Christ you pedantic fucks. This isnt hard to understand what the OP meant.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

droll posted:

Ah, good ol' misogyny.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm loving that they extended expiring drivers licenses for one year... but only for the olds. That's loving brilliant, guv.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm loving that they extended expiring drivers licenses for one year... but only for the olds. That's loving brilliant, guv.

It's because the olds can't renew online.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In other Cali news brush fires are cropping up. Here in the north Bay once again we feel the cleansing flames.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

It's because the olds can't renew online.

Neither can I because I need to update to a real ID. :sigh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

In other Cali news brush fires are cropping up. Here in the north Bay once again we feel the cleansing flames.

Oh for real? Is it time for the yearly cleansing fires? Maybe we can burn the virus to death.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sydin posted:

The feds delayed the RealID deadline a year because of Coronavirus

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to have to double up with a cloth mask for the Rona over an N95 for the smoke.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
You also can't do it online when the 2FA fails to authenticate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Glumslinger posted:

The feds delayed the RealID deadline a year because of Coronavirus

Oh, word? Maybe I'll try then. It expires in December and I'm not interested in camping out at 3AM just to have a shot in the dark at maybe getting it taken care of.

Still doesn't help that my picture is so outdated that I get people scrutinizing my ID for alcohol purchases despite the fact that I'm several times closer to 30 than under 21, but hey it can't all be perfect. :v:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sydin posted:

I stuck with my fake ID :cool:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

I stuck with my fake ID :cool:

It’s 2020, I have a surreal ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I heard that coronavirus can't survive in fires