Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's an insane amount of money spent widening highways, and maintaining said highways, far far more than is seen operating what meager mass transit we have

being able to hold at current roadway capacity while seeing any amount of long-term decrease in traffic would be an enormous boon to this and any other state's budget long term

of course we're coming up on like 6 decades of state DOTDs attempting to widen their way outta crushing highway traffic in the first place, so yeah i'm not confident that those funds would just go elsewhere, like to building out transit or its operations or any other green options. but the results we're seeing with the quarantines are ultimately good for our traffic/emissions problems, and the issues our transit agencies are seeing are almost entirely due to the hosed up ideas about how they need to self-fund their operations via fares in the first place and would be easily manageable if there was the political will to do so

That's fair, they might recognize that the money they'll save in road maintenance and expansion will far outpace earnings from tolls and what not. I do still expect the state's very powerful restaurant lobby to put enormous pressure on cities to get white collar workers back into city centers during meal times ASAP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

there was a big Reddit thread a while ago about how “native” San Franciscans own cars and how only tourists and transplants bother with MUNI.

lol as someone who grew up in SF (and doesnt own a car :vince:) this is hilariously wrong lmao why the gently caress are you reading reddit

SF natives ride muni all the loving time why the gently caress would it be only transplants and tourists?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The bay area related subreddits are full of chuds, nazis and people that lived in the city for 12 months that gatekeep what you're allowed to call it and Frisco is apparently not one of them. Complete waste of time reading that shite.

droll fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 17, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Weird to hear a subreddit sucks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There are two types of SF residents: those who complain about MUNI and those who never tried it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The Oakland subreddit is pretty chill

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There are plenty of perfectly fine subreddits

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
A bunch of companies are going to go partially or fully WFH but a bunch aren't. The actual money involved is going to be less important for some because there's a ton of things that companies do that wastes money that we know are wrong and taught in MBA school are wrong.

Never underestimate the organizational inertia and inefficiency in the business world.

Big cities should still be building out mass transit because you can't WFH every job and it's vastly more sustainable than cars. Also, and I know it sounds crazy, not all reasons for travelling are to be a wage slave.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

I also fully expect that if this ever blows over and there are still major firms with big downtown offices allowing 100% remote work like Twitter, we will see SF and other major cities to start offering tax incentives to companies that make some percentage of their employees come in. Because you don't pay for rail tickets or bridge tolls if you don't have to commute into the city, and you're probably making yourself lunch at home instead of going out to eat at restaurants for your breaks. The system is built around forcing people to commute.

In my understanding, this is why there are already offices in SF. When I lived in SF in 2007-2009 there were some startups there but most were in the south bay. Once I moved to the south bay, lots, and lots and lots of startups moved to SF, although there are still lots in the south bay.

edit: 'sf offered tax incentives to startups' is the reason I was told in like, 2010, why lots of companies were opening offices there.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 17, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Lol reddit.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

redreader posted:

In my understanding, this is why there are already offices in SF. When I lived in SF in 2007-2009 there were some startups there but most were in the south bay. Once I moved to the south bay, lots, and lots and lots of startups moved to SF, although there are still lots in the south bay.

edit: 'sf offered tax incentives to startups' is the reason I was told in like, 2010, why lots of companies were opening offices there.

I wonder how much was tax benefits for startups to move to Mid-Market, and how much was "founders live in SF and don't want to commute"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

luminalflux posted:

I wonder how much was tax benefits for startups to move to Mid-Market, and how much was "founders live in SF and don't want to commute"

The latter is why early-stage startups started preferring the city over the peninsula during the 00's, it was just the lifestyle preference for the sorts of people that would found or work at one. The tax benefit was specifically eliminating payroll tax, so it appealed to established companies or startups that had found success and started a hiring spree. Twitter would have been founded in SF either way, but without the tax benefit it might not have stayed there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Lol "big back yard" in California. I've seen row homes with more space between the houses than in these OC suburbs.

These are all single family homes

And this is in Ontario which has tons of empty dairy farms!

edit: And a few still running!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 18, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Lol "big back yard" in California. I've seen row homes with more space between the houses than in these OC suburbs.

Most of the single family homes in the Bay Area are basically legacy structures built from the 40s through the 80s. Plenty of them have stupidly spacious backyards, sometimes just a few blocks from trillion-dollar corporate HQs.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Imagine making the decision to combine the worst aspects of both row homes and suburbs.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CopperHound posted:

Imagine making the decision to combine the worst aspects of both row homes and suburbs.

"An extra home for every six spaces? loving sold, just pour that money right into my bank account booyah. My number is going up up up."

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Lmao at dropping a million dollars to live next to literal lakes of cow poo poo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Lmao at dropping a million dollars to live next to literal lakes of cow poo poo.

In the inland empire no less.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The cloud over Ontario/Chino is much too green to really be called smog in the traditional sense.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Apparently California EDD is hiring! They had a ton of people walk out because of working conditions or something. Yeesh, I don't know what must be worse, trying get your unemployment from them or trying to work for them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

e.pilot posted:

In the inland empire no less.

For the privilege of commuting hours each day into LA on the 10.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

For the privilege of commuting hours each day into LA on the 10.

That's not so bad. Get a fast pass and set it to 3. Bing bong so simple.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That's not so bad. Get a fast pass and set it to 3. Bing bong so simple.

Does LA also have the variable cost toll lanes that let you get to work faster for $50?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jetz0r posted:

Does LA also have the variable cost toll lanes that let you get to work faster for $50?

The 91 Express toll lanes can get you from Orange County to Riverside for $30 if you travel at 3pm on a Friday

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The 91 Express toll lanes can get you from Orange County to Riverside for $30 if you travel at 3pm on a Friday

I'm from Oregon and what the gently caress is this?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm from Oregon and what the gently caress is this?

capitalism

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jetz0r posted:

Yeah, but they have a 2+ people in your car is free thing, so everybody just sets them to 3 people on the transponder.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

People from out of state always think that the 405 is like a parking lot.

The truth is that they are all parking lots in rush hour, but the 91 is just as painful if not more.

The funny thing is that outside of rush hour, there is no real reason to use the express lanes anyway unless there's an accident or other disturbance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I went to a conference hosted by OCTA a couple years ago and man they are so proud about their express lanes and how much money they rake in. Between all the people congratulating them for this somebody asked if they actually had any kind of plan to fix traffic, and the OCTA guy was all "Oh yeah we're gonna expand the 91 with another express lane so even more cars can come through and we make even more money!" :downs:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the LA HOT lanes make no money because everyone cheats on them but Caltrans is too invested in the idea to admit it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What the gently caress is wrong with your state? Shouldn't it be good since it's all Democrats in office?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

hate to break it to you but the democrats suck rear end too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Half our Dems are beholden to interests, and the other half are basically Republicans since they time-locked their opinions to 1970.

Oh and they have to play nice with the party for spoilz

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your state? Shouldn't it be good since it's all Democrats in office?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

California refused to lift the property tax cap to fix their schools

California is the state that passed Prop 8, aka "prop hate", which banned gay marriage

California voters voted to let gig worker companies force their workers to be classed as contractors

California democrats still have a supermajority in their congress (unless it changed recently), which they likely maintain by not going full left on all the issues and let the voters decide on really crazy ideas via propositions.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

California is a land of contrasts but at least Orange County has made significant strides into electing progressive officials in the past couple of years such as Dave Min for state senate and Katie Porter (incumbent for 2020) for US representative.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

this is me

this is @ me when I thought California was the good state

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

sb hermit posted:

California refused to lift the property tax cap to fix their schools

California is the state that passed Prop 8, aka "prop hate", which banned gay marriage

California voters voted to let gig worker companies force their workers to be classed as contractors

California democrats still have a supermajority in their congress (unless it changed recently), which they likely maintain by not going full left on all the issues and let the voters decide on really crazy ideas via propositions.

Yeah and you vote for the dumbest propositions. Here we vote for cool poo poo like decriminalizing drugs.

droll posted:

this is @ me when I thought California was the good state

There are no "good" states.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
hey remember when we could have had ranked choice voting but the republicans blocked it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

droll posted:

hey remember when we could have had ranked choice voting but the republicans blocked it?

Didn’t California democrats pass Medicare for All when republicans were around to block it and then do jack poo poo about anything once they gained a supermajority and ever since?