Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

The transmissibility is insane and leads to poo poo like we're seeing play out at schools now.

Namely:

* Come back from Winter, 4 staff out with Omicron.
* Test during the week, send positive cases home to quarantine.
* More staff tests sick.
* Close contacts sent notices.
* Formerly sick staff returns, some go back because they're still sapped.
* Parents come in and are like "yes our entire family tested positive yesterday can I walk through your school to pick up my sick kids?"
* weekend
* Return next week. More staff out with symptoms. Most from 1st wave return.
* Test again.

It's an amazingly hosed tilt-o-whirl of waiting to catch it randomly and struggling to keep things running as the office is whittled down around you.

Yeah I’m still genuinely shocked none of the schools around me have had to shut down bc of staffing yet. poo poo’s nuts. Good news though everyone, state testing is gonna happen like normal this year! I’m sure it will be fine and super useful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The peak of cases, maybe

jfc new york :stonk:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

LA has masked for 2 years now and compliance has not really dropped off.

I was out a few hours ago and everybody on the street and in every business I saw was masked.

I was going to say "go to a drive-in" but then I saw you said limited run.

You're going to wait til Ryū to Sobakasu no Hime hits streaming, buddy.

Nice try, but it was Ai no Utagoe o Kikasete

It's a really short run!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

based coumo solving the elder care crisis with one neat trick the UN DOESN'T want you to know about!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Sydin posted:

Still much, much better than original COVID wave:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Foxfire_ posted:

Still much, much better than original COVID wave:

Governor Coumo killed thousands of elderly people in nursing homes with covid, covered it up, and faced no punishment.

Larry Parrish posted:

based coumo solving the elder care crisis with one neat trick the UN DOESN'T want you to know about!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Much much better is not how I'd phrase this deliberate path taken knowing it would result in further preventable deaths.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The peak of cases, maybe

a little bit misleading

california is only beat by hawaii and ohio, thats because everyone in ohio died already

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 26, 2022

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xaris posted:

a little bit misleading

california is only beat by hawaii and ohio, thats because everyone in ohio died already

What happened that made Alaska bounce like that?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DarklyDreaming posted:

Small population. There’s less than a million people there. Any of one those spikes could just be a particularly unlucky family.

Edit: Oh that’s 7 days average so that would have to be a pretty large family.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

tk posted:

Small population. There’s less than a million people there. Any of one those spikes could just be a particularly unlucky family.

Edit: Oh that’s 7 days average so that would have to be a pretty large family.

I wonder if it could be an island effect where isolated towns are safe until someone from the outside wanders in and infects everyone at once.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

a little bit misleading

no it's not misleading at all. I wasn't making a comparison to the other states lol. they don't matter. I was pointing out the upward slope

DarklyDreaming posted:

any strange patterns in the graph are most likely just lovely reporting. we barely have any idea what's going on in a lot of states because they deliberately sabotage their statistics

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Work crew (fishing boats, oil workers, etc) shift change and people who got sick in the field making it to hospital? They seem to be week long bursts.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

DarklyDreaming posted:

It escaped from the ice after being trapped for eons. Only blood tests and flamethrowers can stop this variant

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Alaska looks like something is reporting monthly, then someone is assigning all of it to the reporting day and blindly applying a 7 day moving mean. For the week the reporting day is in the window, the filter outputs month/7. For other days it outputs zero

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
This is disappointing but unfortunately not at all surprising:

https://twitter.com/AmarShergillCA/status/1488301925325963265

So, no single-payer system for California, at least this legislative session. Even with a Democratic supermajority, a Democratic governor, etc.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Majorian posted:

So, no single-payer system for California, at least this legislative session. Even with a Democratic supermajority, a Democratic governor, etc.
2017 called: http://www.thepolemicist.net/2017/06/california-scheming-single-payer.html
SB-562 from 2017

I can't say I'm surprised they smothered single payer again.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Bought and paid for cowards.

Not really a surprise, though.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Majorian posted:

It’s so weird how this just keeps happening.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I guess I didn't vote correctly again. Oh well, next time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fondly thinking back to the trump hat guy who called me a race traitor in 2016, since this poo poo is giving me deju vu to about then

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Welp, time to burn down the capitol I guess... in Minecraft, of course.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nucleic Acids posted:

It’s so weird how this just keeps happening.

What's weird about it?

As far as I can tell literally all of us expected this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: wrong thread

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 1, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Jaxyon posted:

What's weird about it?

As far as I can tell literally all of us expected this.

I think that was sarcasm, meant to highlight the fact that having a Dem supermajority and governor "somehow" still produces the same result.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

I think that was sarcasm, meant to highlight the fact that having a Dem supermajority and governor "somehow" still produces the same result.

Yeah, I get that. Because Dems are bad. That's not really a new idea to post in here. They are bad.

Do we think that giving Republicans a majority would be more likely to get us single payer?

Or what if we had a small group of third party people? They'd simply be blamed for it by the Dems who would have a scapegoat.

Like who is this post aimed at?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, I get that. Because Dems are bad. That's not really a new idea to post in here. They are bad.

Do we think that giving Republicans a majority would be more likely to get us single payer?

Or what if we had a small group of third party people? They'd simply be blamed for it by the Dems who would have a scapegoat.

Well, you I guess. I mean you can continue to pretend against increasing evidence that there are serious issues to debate and discuss, or you can embrace the cspam lifestyle, that this is all nothing more than an outlet for our collective frustration, and post what makes you happy.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
https://twitter.com/uhshanti/status/1488611329644498946?s=21

I was curious why Kalra wouldn’t force the assembly to vote since he’s generally a good sort - this makes sense.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 2, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
"Autocracy in Five Easy Steps!"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah because we live in such a free democracy lol. autocracy would be such a step back. imagine not having any voice in what the government does

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
California liberals, every goddamn time lol

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Kaal posted:

Democracy in the workplace and economy > liberal democracy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Has having a Democratic supermajority and a Democratic governor brought us closer to having single payer in CA? It turns out the answer is no. We can't even get a vote on the bill to see which Dems would need to be primaried if we wanted a more progressive statehouse. It's good to have this all demonstrated to us so conclusively.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kaal posted:

Shut up nerd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

Has having a Democratic supermajority and a Democratic governor brought us closer to having single payer in CA? It turns out the answer is no. We can't even get a vote on the bill to see which Dems would need to be primaried if we wanted a more progressive statehouse. It's good to have this all demonstrated to us so conclusively.

Yes but we knew that. They already did this.

There's nothing weird, there's nothing new. They're bought.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Yes but we knew that. They already did this.

There's nothing weird, there's nothing new. They're bought.

Right, but that doesn't mean each time they demonstrate how bought they are isn't worth commenting on.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's important to vote blue no matter who alright. Even when they've repeatedly demonstrated to be your enemy. Because otherwise the guys who don't have a Proven Track Record might win, or possibly the dreaded Republicans, who would do the exact same stuff in the same way but might possibly be rude about it. And we can't have that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Majorian posted:

Right, but that doesn't mean each time they demonstrate how bought they are isn't worth commenting on.

I never said you couldn't comment on it. I commented on it. I just asked why it was wierd.

Larry Parrish posted:

It's important to vote blue no matter who alright. Even when they've repeatedly demonstrated to be your enemy. Because otherwise the guys who don't have a Proven Track Record might win, or possibly the dreaded Republicans, who would do the exact same stuff in the same way but might possibly be rude about it. And we can't have that.

You shouldn't, this is a bad voting strategy.

Though I think you're confusing "way too similar" with "exactly the same" here, but that doesn't make sense in your "blue no matter who" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I never said you couldn't comment on it. I commented on it. I just asked why it was wierd.

It's not. That was Nucleic Acids' point. That was :thejoke: