Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My friend wants me to go to Vietnam with her in December to meet her cute cousins and check out the area. I think I'm sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We fund it through taxes and duty, yeah. UPS asks for a little more sometimes for their trouble. The last time I got something shipped over the border, UPS asked me for $32 at the door to cover the bother of having to give my government the money I already paid them to ship it. Then they took that $32 back to America with them where they probably spent it on cocaine or Goldman Sachs bailouts or something.

You can also pay the government the couple of bucks to clear it yourself, if you want to drive across town for it: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

You know if Glorious Leader wanted to score some political points, he should go and fix this duty situation. Tons of Canadians shop online in the Starss and ship back to Canada, yet like you said the only reason why the Brown Clown charges such exhorbitant brokerage is to fund his blow habit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah I would probably hold my nose and vote Conservative if he strung one of the UPS board members up on the Peace Tower to serve as an example.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
They'll get around to it once they deal with those pesky cell service providers, so next election.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Shower thoughts:

Dear Mazda, do the following:

- Keep at whatever you're doing with Alfa for the new Miata.
- Take all the new bodywork and interior you've got cooking for the new Mazda2 and drop that on top of the current NC platform and drivetrain.
- Call it the 2015 MX2.
- Make a billion goddamned dollars.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
So the past week has been an interesting experience. After running some numbers on what I am spending time and money wise on my current commuter I started looking at new econobox. Ford has a discount on for 2014 Fiestas but only the S. Since it has reviewed well I started looking for one with a manual transmission. The first dealer I had struck out, but ttge second managed to find one. So I put down a a deposit ASAP as there weren't many left. This was Friday last week.

Fast forward to this week and I still don't know when the car will be in as they had to bring it in from another dealer. Nothing back until yesterday (after 5pm) when I get an email explaining that the dealer they were bringing it in from sold it... :argh:

We left it at them still looking for one and I said in would be interested in an SE provided that they offered the same amount off MSRP as the S (which I dou t they will go for).

For reference with the discount it came out to $17.7k or so.

I am pretty pissed off that they would either sell me a car that wasnt available or that someone else would sell a car that was spoken for.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

$17.7k is the pre-discount MSRP of the 1.0 ecoboost fiesta, which only comes with a manual. Maybe that's the car you should be looking for.

Also, they don't seem to understand what the point of a deposit is. You give them a deposit to secure a car, if they can't or won't secure the car, they shouldn't take a deposit.

Where do you live? There are 1.0 ecoboost Fiesta SEs advertized on cars.com under $15k

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/601806078/overview/

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I am in Saskatchewan. That was after taxes freight etc. which is all on top of MSRP. The link you gave shows me £15k not $15k...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My friend wants me to go to Vietnam with her in December to meet her cute cousins and check out the area. I think I'm sold.

That has worked so well in the past. What bloodtype are you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh, canada, yeah, you're hosed.

I'm surprised you could get one under $20k.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

West SAAB Story posted:

That has worked so well in the past. What bloodtype are you?

No clue. I've known her for almost 10 years now so I doubt I'll wake up in a tub missing my kidneys. But maybe I'll get that sweet sweet Vietnamese green card waifu.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No clue. I've known her for almost 10 years now so I doubt I'll wake up in a tub missing my kidneys. But maybe I'll get that sweet sweet Vietnamese green card waifu.

Goddammit, now I am reading you in H. John Benjamins' voice, too.

Is there a version of this in English, without all of the inline D-Gen references? :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 2, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-TRXB1tLIs

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

http://www.cc.com/episodes/vl94jt/jon-benjamin-has-a-van-little-italy-season-1-ep-101

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone have any advice for buying a manual car and not actually knowing how to drive manual? I know some friends who know how to drive manual but I don't have any car to learn on at the moment. I'm considering getting a new car and I'm at least considering getting a third pedal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just practice getting moving without touching the gas, just put it in gear and let the clutch out sloooowly. Once you can do that without stalling, it's pretty easy to use the throttle to do it faster.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just do what I did and buy your first manual 2 days before you have to drive to your new job 33 miles away. You'll learn quickly.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
There's actually a good chance that'll happen. My job is about 25 miles away.

I guess I should rephrase my question. I'm looking at getting a brand new car so how would I handle the test drive? Do I drive an automatic and then tell them I want a manual if I like it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"Hey, I'm interested in $car in stick, but I never driven stick. Can you give me a quick lesson?"

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

I guess I should rephrase my question. I'm looking at getting a brand new car so how would I handle the test drive? Do I drive an automatic and then tell them I want a manual if I like it?

No, you have to try the manual car on the drive, the feeling is different.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We fund it through taxes and duty, yeah. UPS asks for a little more sometimes for their trouble. The last time I got something shipped over the border, UPS asked me for $32 at the door to cover the bother of having to give my government the money I already paid them to ship it. Then they took that $32 back to America with them where they probably spent it on cocaine or Goldman Sachs bailouts or something.

You can also pay the government the couple of bucks to clear it yourself, if you want to drive across town for it: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

I hope someday we get an American Union kind of thing and then like a UNited Federation of Planets.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

mariooncrack posted:

Where do you live? If you're in Denver I'll teach you.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

mariooncrack posted:

Does anyone have any advice for buying a manual car and not actually knowing how to drive manual?

Pretty much everything that has already been said. Take it to an abandoned lot or large open area. Get used to the bite-point between gears, where the "sweet spot" is, et al. Unless its a SAAB. Then, just loving start in second for the first few months, because first is gently caress-all.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was just there in November, really great people. What part of the country would you be going to?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just saw a group of ten blind people sitting outside the library, in front of a no loitering sign.

I am a horrid person, because I laughed.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I think 13" and I are having an illicit affair:

online flea market posted:

Hey there beautiful.

Yes i'm bad at rsvp'ing I know this. Probably doesn't help that I can't stay in the country too long. Anyhoo, want some SAAB poo poo? I know you do, just tell me what I wanna hear and I'll send 'em yer way.

Not sure if I am dealing with a flakey reseller or just getting raped. Literally. :confused:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

But it's not rape when you're willing.

Also, you shouldn't wear that skirt in public.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Godddammit - they're slimming lines!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I said that more because you really don't have the legs for a skirt.

At least shave your legs (and face) first! (wax would be better)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

Where do you live? If you're in Denver I'll teach you.

I appreciate the offer but I'm in Cleveland.

phade
Oct 8, 2006
Hey Alberta posters, who else is excited to hear people crying about the weather all weekend?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just do what I did and buy your first manual 2 days before you have to drive to your new job 33 miles away. You'll learn quickly.

This is how I learned as well. Two hours before my first day on the job delivering pizza? Good time to learn! :v:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I learned to drive stick as an 18 year old in college whose legal-age floormates were too drunk to drive to get more beer :hellyeah:

Couldn't ask for a better car to learn on than a 1996 Accord.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

phade posted:

Hey Alberta posters, who else is excited to hear people crying about the weather all weekend?

Dunno about you but I've been tooling around in my Miata just fine today and probably will continue to do so. Tell that to Nancy McTwentyUnder though.

I deeply regret not going back in time and forcing the guy who built my garage to add a heated floor system though.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Never knew you can drive a manual car without having manual license in America

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

freelop posted:

This is the land of the free, my friend. You can pass your drivers test in a town of 1200 people driving a prius, and then jump strait into this and drive through a major city the next day.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
There was some grumbling just recently on Jaloplink:Truck Yeah! for the new Super duties having a gross combined vehicle weight of 40k lbs or something silly high like that.

A giant majority of people who do buy those trucks will never push that level, but gently caress me. Here, drive this 20 ton truck down the road with little regard to trailer brakes and so on.

I have watched so many idiots tow a trailer WAY faster than necessary only to find them in a ditch down the road. When I tow, if I cant lock the brakes up on an empty trailer with the trailer brakes, I am not taking it.

Edit:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-series-super-duty-has-top-torque-hp-and-t-1537714126

Sorry it was the F450.
F350: 35,000 GCVW

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 2, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

freelop posted:

It was worse years ago. We had to take eyetests and everything to prove we weren't blind. Then we just had to teach ourselves to park A/G bodies with no power steering (at lumpy gutless idle). Oh, nostalgia. :allears:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I just applied to like 10 more mining jobs, half of which are low-voltage electrical diagnostic jobs, which I am qualified for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Good luck!

• Locked thread