Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My friend wants me to go to Vietnam with her in December to meet her cute cousins and check out the area. I think I'm sold.

I was just there in November, really great people. What part of the country would you be going to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Came into this thread to bitch about my wife buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut in context I have nothing to bitch about. Good luck, fellas.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Counselor: OK, for our next session I want you to think of a totem that symbolizes who you are - some object, icon or picture.

Me: OK

*later*

Counselor: OK, did you choose a totem?

Me: Yes, I chose Concorde.

Counselor: The plane? Why's that?

Me: We both spend more money than we make, both can't see past the end of our nose, the 1% ride on our backs, we both like to go fast and we both have a drinking problem. :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Welp, went through a 12 week counseling program about fatherhood and came to grips with my anxiety about being a dad. :toot: I guess it's on, although I'd like to hold off on starting until I make the career switch I'm trying to pull off. She's not getting any younger, though, so I have to move fast.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Have you guys ever shipped anything Greyhound? Apparently they carry packages as well as people; $70 to get a bumper cover here. I'm not sure if they bring it up in the cabin or slide it down in the baggage compartment or what. Kind of worried about the thing getting banged up.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Hrmm, wonder how much I should offer on the bumper cover. Shipping with the seller's packing costs would be $90-$100.

This is the cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251523094614?item=251523094614&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Buying a new one and getting it painted would be about $650 after some negotiating I did.

Sometimes I have a hell of a time figuring out what things are worth to me, except this Bulleit 10 year I'm sipping. Good bourbon is worth every cent.

blk fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It's great - woody but not overly so, and the characteristic rye bite of standard Bulleit (their standard bourbon, not just the rye, has a rye bite to it) helps balance things out here. Sweetness, smoke and bite are there in equal measure. Mouthfeel is a little light - I drink most bourbons with a rock or two, this is better neat. A little spendy at $40. My standard sipper is usually Elijah Craig @ $20; it's a little sweeter than I usually drink but so well-made compared to everything else under $40 that it's still a great value.

Edit: watching Wheeler Dealers again and their definition of "adding value" to an FD is to take out the air conditioning and wrap the wheels and spoiler in a snakeskin print. I hate this show; why can't I stop watching?

blk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 11, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: nothing to see here

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone else have trouble using their clutch pedal in flipflops? The back of my sandals always catch on the floor and fuckup my depress/release action. The clutch pedal in the Miata is rubberized so I can do that one barefoot, the the 92x is pretty uncomfortable drilled metal. I wonder if my sandals have too much "lip" between the edge of my foot and the edge of the sandal, or if I shouldn't be pivoting on my heel when I clutch, or if it's just unavoidable.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I pleasantly discovered that the drilled metal Miata accelerator pedal has been smoothed out with wear, so I can drive completely barefoot.

Driving in cleated bike shoes is the most terrifying thing ever. I tried it once in the Saabaru and the cleat kept catching the edges of the metal pedals. Went (painfully) barefoot after 20 seconds, it was just too dangerous.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Renting in my town sucks. 99% of it is student garbage and every 6-12 months, when an affordable, reasonable quality home comes up, it's a shitstorm of 150 applicants and it's off the market in 30 minutes. I'm top of the list for one now, but they want a year lease and I might be getting a part or full time job offer in a different city the next few months. My current place sucks balls and my landlady wants to move back in soon, so I need to find a good situation soon, but the liability of a lease is huge.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I've been doing some consulting for a company that, amongst other things, owns a couple of rural golf courses. Getting paid to flog the Miata on backroads in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the most beautiful states is pretty awesome, especially when a day's consulting work earns me the same pay as two and a half days at my regular job.

Also dodged a new unmarked Camaro cop car. I thought my local pigs only ran Mustangs - I didn't even know the Camaro was offered in a cop package, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He asked what kind of testing equipment I've used and I couldn't remember the brand name. It was on the tip of my tongue. As I got into my car my brain screamed, "FLUKE GOD DAMMIT, FLUKE!"

Are you sure you're out of the running? I've gotten offers from every interview I thought I hosed up, and vice versa (no offers from interviews I thought I dominated)

blk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

Camaros and Chargers too. The State Patrol interceptors out here are actually running Chargers now. Better looking than Crown Vics, I guess.

Yeah, State Police here has switched from Vics to Chargers and Tahoes. City uses Taurii and Explorers (excuse me, Interceptors). The last time State Police used a Camaro was in the late 90s, though. I need to call State and County tomorrow to see whose car it was. County stopped doing speed patrols a couple years back because of funding issues, but if they're back on the road I need to be a lot more careful. For a long time I've had the luxury of several roads I knew were never patrolled due to jurisdiction issues.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

Wait when did you get a miata? Gave up on the S2000 dreams?

About 10 days ago - haven't stopped considering a S2K, but this was a relatively good deal so I snagged it in the mean while. I don't have a garage and have a lot going on in my life right now so I'm going to wait for the right timing and right car; there hasn't been much out there recently.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Do you like not having any apps? Because then Windows Phone 8 is for you.

It works fine. I prefer IOS or Android. I will say the Nokia Lumia I have is really, really nice though (the hardware). But not nice enough for me to use as a primary phone/make up for WP8.

Yeah, I'm not a big app user.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
*wife gives a barbed insult to my taste in music*

*i give a joking insult back at her taste in music*

*wife throws a fit, yells at me, goes to sulk somewhere*

sometimes i really wish i played for the other team. women are unreasonable and generally horseshit.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
gently caress, I'm mad at myself. Was parallel parking the Miata reverse uphill on my street in pitch dark tonight (its very narrow and a lot of people lose their mirrors and some have been hit by DDs) and someone came speeding way too fast in my direction, so I tried to speed it up and naturally rashed both wheels on that side. I don't know what it is about wheel rash - I don't notice it if I'm not looking for it but it bugs the gently caress out of me when I know its there, much more than any paint or body flaw.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

There's so many sandwich shops up there now - which one?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Slavvy posted:

My girlfriend just got off the phone from a 45 minute conversation with her best friend, who lives around five hours away. Friend is in the middle of a nursing degree and has some random lovely job, friend's boyfriend is a maritime engineer guy and makes around $2500 a week. Both are mid 20's, been together around 3 years and currently live together. They both come across as pretty much normal, reasonably well adjusted people.

Then this happened:

:geno: I don't understand how you can get paid $400 a week and not be able to pay off your student loan.

;-* Well I have to pay rent and buy food and pay for petrol etc etc I guess

:geno: I don't get it, you should learn to spend your money better.

;-* I'm not really sure what else I can do, I'm only just making ends meet...?

:geno: I know, I'll compile a list of jobs you can do for me, and I'll pay you for them!

;-* ...

A short while later he comes back with a list of stuff a page long, some of the highlights include:

- Wash my car: $40
- Clean the house: $50
- Give me a foot massage: $40
- Give me a blowjob: $250
- Give me an all-nighter: $800

:psyboom:

A lot of young engineers I meet think they're really smart, but most of them have this level of social and emotional intelligence.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......

The v10!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
:toot:

It usually takes several years of auditioning before you actually get on, but so far I'm 2 for 2

blk
Dec 19, 2009

I consult for a timber baron and found this in his old warehouse. He's on vacation right now but I'm going to see if he'll sell it to me for :10bux:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bandman posted:

Leaving tomorrow for a road trip to my wife's family farm in Kirksville, Missouri. 800 miles in the car over two days with two kids, ages 2 and 5, and a wife who is constantly angry at the world (and me by association) for some reason or another.

This will end well, right? RIGHT???? :shepicide:

Also, if anyone is within an hour of Kirksville, I'd be down to get drinks or something since I'll probably be looking for a reason to GTFO after the kids go to sleep. Not that anyone is likely to be reasonably close to Kirksville, since it is apparently the geometric center of the middle of loving nowhere. To get to Kirksville, take I-70 to Columbia, then go north on US-63 until you're sure you must have passed it because surely nothing can be this far away from modern soci...oh, 50 more miles to Kirksville. It's about an hour south of the MO-IA state line.

Reading the posts from MidWestern goons has convinced me that America between the coasts is a spiritual cage where we are slowly devoured by the foibles of our own humanity.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
poo poo like this is why I'm not liking my Nexus 4 Android experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rXCvc2bfyA

Bluetooth randomly turns off, won't turn back on. Have to hard reset the phone, sometimes multiple times, for it to play ball again.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
This #notallmen thing is the biggest inundation of horseshit I've ever read. Internet misandry^h^h^h feminism makes me so mad.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fucknag posted:

god drat promiscuous whores having the sex with loving assholes who treat them like poo poo instead of me dammit i told a girl her panties looked lovely and she just sprayed me with loving pepepr spray

"oh waaahhhh we're so oppressed guys rape and kill us for dressing wrong" listen you slut bitch i got an hardon from you flaunting your body at me do you have ANY IDEA how humiliating that is?

support #mensrights #mra #notallmen #whoresluts

You can take offense to your sex being generalized without being the typical goon/redditor.

atomicthumbs posted:

You're mad about misandry, you say? :allears:

Yes. I'm a strong advocate and supporter of equal rights and treatment for women, and I act on those beliefs in my daily life and through established political mechanisms. When Jezebel fans start screeching about all men being rapists and it floods my social media feed, it pisses me off. When the latest internet feminist campaign says men shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves against generalizations in feminist debate, it pushes me off the edge. Its just as bad as what some men do to women. Just because I was born with a penis doesn't make me a chauvinist.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: double post.

blk fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 28, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Fucknag posted:

how many fedorae reside within your wardrobe?

Zero, happily married to a self-identified feminist and friends with many others.

rscott posted:

I really doubt a website as mainstream as Jezebel is calling all men rapists, you shouldn't conflate that with the really marginal writing you see on tumblr, also holy poo poo lol you're calling being mischaracterized as a chauvinist the equivalent of literally being raped, do you realize how bad that sounds? :stare:

I didn't say that.

Phone posted:

Don't be a shithead.

You too, buddy.

OK, let's change the topic since this is going nowhere.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If you guys want to tell me why it's wrong to be upset when you're called names, feel free to PM me or something so the thread can move on.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Agreed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Phone posted:

Why don't you self-identify as a feminist?

The word is too loaded and some female feminists I've met resent males who call themselves the same. I've helped campaign for an equal rights amendment in my state the past three times its come up and help start a job training program for low-income single mothers when I was in college. I hire women over men every time they're competitive candidates and every year I donate several hundred to several thousand dollars of goods and services to the local shelter. I think women are terribly objectified by our media and millions of men who consume that media, I think they should be legally entitled to the same pay for the same work, I think they should be legally entitled to maternity leave, I think they should have access to free reproductive and sexual health care, I think it is horrific how we do not support victims of sexual harassment, abuse, or rape, and I generally think they are unfairly treated in most walks of life and have been for thousands of years and I understand why they're pissed.

When some recent journalism grads get on the internet and think the way to solve the problem is to generalize and name call, I get upset. Perhaps my strongest belief in life is that we should treat and accomodate people the same, regardless of sex, race, fundamental abilities, ethnic extraction, etc, and our society falls far short of that. I don't think vitriol solves the problem, it just makes it worse.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Great Beer posted:

I really want to own a delorean but I don't have the skills to replace/upgrade their piece of poo poo engines so they can actually do 88mph. Also theyre probably terrible cars but they look so cool.

Even if you did the weight distribution would still be terrible.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

let's put the brakes on before thread slides into the abyss

this isn't my dog

This isn't mine, except it is.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

blk just sell your Miata because women will think you're gay.

Not sure what you mean by that, so in the spirit of this forum I'm going to jump to conclusions and assume you hate gay people.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Some whiskies require a bit of water to open up, depending on how they're made.

How many of you that live in two-plate states keep your front ones off anyways? I took mine off the other day when waxing my car and am thinking of leaving it off, although it only looks a little bit better and might not be worth the hassling I'd get from the cops.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If you guys like cheese and dill on your fish you should give this a shot, it's one of my go-tos:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-saganaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'd do it in the Jag; if you're going to cruise you might as well be comfortable.

• Locked thread