Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

Sartre was right, Hell is other people, everywhere is awful

Come on, meteor. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In a similar vein, yesterday a student went a little nutso and threatened to kill herself because she owes a lot of money to the college so they aren't going to let her graduate. On the one hand I feel bad because they waited until 2 weeks before graduation to tell her this but at the same time I'm not really sure what she expected to happen. poo poo, my high-school wouldn't let you graduate if you owed the cafeteria lunch money.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

Here's a question for everyone -- what is the best gift for a new father? A very close friend of mine is having a son on Thursday. I've known him and his wife for almost 15 years, and I was actually the one who got them to meet. They're the first of all my friends to start popping out babies.

Booze. All the booze.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Hey guys how's your Saturday goi-

:stare:

*backs away slowly*

:suspense:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

two deeds, one fursuit.

Phrasing

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

Oh good, a fetish-within-a-fetish, soapy carwash furries. Great idea. Should they go for the trifecta and wear diapers, too?

Don't forget the freaks that gently caress their cars.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

N is for Nipples posted:

I hope you've learned your lesson, IOC: You can never leave us.
Never.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

goatse guy posted:

I still have my dealership job and I love it too much to give it up, and I have more than enough hobbies to keep me occupied. I have a place to live and a family that loves me too. I just have a lot of days where I'd rather throw myself off of a bridge because someone I thought of as a friend drugged me and assaulted me. I don't think anything will ever fix that.

You're on the right path just by talking about it with other people and keeping occupied with other things. I never told a single person about my abuse for over a decade, and I think it's one of the reasons I'm such a miserable rear end in a top hat today.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Also I feel sorry for anyone that has to change the fuel filter of a '96 Camry. Most pain in the rear end fuel filter in the history of cars, gently caress you Toyota.

I have no idea what Toyota's loving problem was, but every FWD car they made from '86 to probably late -'04(?) or so had the fuel filter in the same goddamn spot. It is awful as hell to do, I feel your pain.

Rhyno posted:

Is it weird that I feel guilty that I was never abused in any way? So many people I know were just wrecked by friends, family or people in a position of authority and I'm just over here dealing with being chubby.

Don't feel bad for not being abused, what the hell dude. You of all people should know that people are just poo poo, nothing you can do to change that.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I have a fatal attraction to basket cases. I have known this for some time.

Does it extend to dating for you as well? That's my problem. I'm always interested in the projects, whether it be neglected cars or people with broken psyches. Mentally healthy people and new cars? Boring.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Extra posted:

More realistically could you legally get the car flatbed towed off your property after 30 days as long as the owner was given notice and signed paperwork stating they understood that condition?

Why do that when you could have a written agreement that says after 30 days you will charge a storage fee of $100 a week/day/minute/whatever, payable whenever they collect their car. They'll either get their busted poo poo off your property post-haste or in a month or two give up and give you the title. No effort needed on your part. It's what most shops do.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

If you have limited space, the cost of getting it shifted across town could be lower than the cost of having it take up space that could be an actual, paying job's slot.

Fair point.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly. Finally lost my temper and yelled "gently caress you!" into the phone before hanging up; just got a text saying she's done. Which wouldn't be so bad if, you know, we didn't have a kid together :suicide:

gently caress this week.

Monday I nearly went to jail/got my car impounded for apparently driving on a suspended license. Found out that some fines I had paid over 5 months ago got lost in a bureaucracy shuffle and somebody decided I should lose my license anyway. Spent all day yesterday at the DMV getting that bullshit sorted out, and they still charged me $150 to get my license back even though it was their fault to begin with.

gently caress the moon, gently caress squirrels, gently caress all this wood in here, gently caress me, gently caress you, gently caress everyone.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

Holy poo poo AI has had a bad E/N week. Tell her you're sorry.

If I thought saying sorry would help at all I would have called her back immediately to do so.

Don't ever date women with bipolar/borderline personality, and definitely don't ever loving get them pregnant. You cannot reason with her if she gets into a certain mood, anything you say is just going to make it worse. I am apparently a horrible person for wanting to go to my friends going away party on Sunday before he moved to Colorado because it was the anniversary of one of her brothers deaths. Of course she didn't mention any of this to me in the week or so leading up to the party, because I'm supposed to remember the date or some poo poo. I'm lucky to remember my own goddamn birthday let alone the day somebody I met maybe twice back in middle school died. Then she texts me out of the blue today saying that she'll be getting a ride to Richmond this weekend to see two of our mutual friends graduate from college, which we have been planning on doing for months together.

I'm so loving tired. Tired of the constant having to walk on eggshells because saying or doing the wrong thing or at the wrong time can mean a week or more of super passive-aggressive bullshit on her part while I just try and figure out what the hell I supposedly hosed up this time and how to fix it. Only to have months old stuff thrown in my face whenever she gets pissy. gently caress life.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 7, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cage posted:

You missed this part:

I think meatpimp was saying he should apologize for the insult, not because they had a fight.

That's how I interpreted it as well. And I will apologize for it, but it was pretty much the only response I had left at my disposal. I am generally a very rational (to a fault sometimes) thinking person, so trying to argue with someone that is by nature not is just stressful as hell. A month or so ago we had another fight that turned out to be she wasn't actually mad at me but at loving physics :psypop:

Part of me really wants to try and sort this out and go on with our life, the other half is screaming "SEVER", which as I said is kinda complicated by having a child.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cat Terrist posted:

The MG-F is the rear engine one, isnt it? Well it might have been regarded as okay if it wasnt for a certain other Birtish rear engined small sports car that flayed it. Just like the Lotus Elan (the FWD one) got flayed by the MX-5 - it wasnt a bad car TBF it was supposed to be a hell of a good handling FWD but the MX-5 blew it out of the water in comparision.

The MG-F and Elan do have redeeming features, but TBH the TR-7 isnt just a case of not seeing the appeal - if you know about these turds, you know why they should be approached with a flame thrower in hand. What an utterly woeful POS in every single possible way, not just British Leyland bad, but maliciously awful in a way that driving one is to hate your own existance. They not just defined Friday car, they showed that Thatcher for all her other utter poo poo was right to burn British Leyland to the ground, piss on the ashes and salt the earth it was on. The unions deserved to be blown from a cannon for their capricious attitude to motorist, where delivering cars WITHOUT GEAROBXES!!!! was acceptible quality control. I'm not kidding, TR-7's literally made it to new owners without parts of the driveline. Electricals were the height of Lucas. Poor handling? WHAT handling? If you want to list out how to gently caress up a car, just post a picture of a TR-7. I've drivien some bad cars in my time, but none where the wheel slop was so bad, I stopped because I thought the steering was broken. No, this was factory. And the 4 banger sounded like an asthmatic vaccuum cleaner.

Just like the 70's MG's, the TR-7 doesnt deserve anything more than a jerry can of petrol and a IED. Leyland's eventual death was well earned with this vindictive piece of poo poo it spat out.

Love a good roast. I can't remember, are you the one that also made a post about how poo poo TVRs really are (and if anybody else that knows what I'm talking about has a link or saved the quote, that would be awesome)? That was a thoroughly entertaining post.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Battery is dead on the Corolla and my jumper cables got stolen by junkies last month. loving awesome.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Communism posted:

If her bipolar's that bad, consider going with severing and swinging for the fences for custody. Nothing good will come of bringing a kid up around that if she's not going to get her poo poo sorted.

I over-reacted a bit last night, she isn't like that 24/7 or anything. Finally found a combination of meds that work for her. But sometimes if she's over stressed it comes through.

After talking poo poo out last night we are fine again but are looking into couples counseling. I have my own set of emotional issues so it was kinda a perfect storm of a lot of different things. Anyway, shits better, gonna see them after work and finally have a good day this week :unsmith:

Edit; Super Aggro Craig, that's awesome, best of luck. Maybe you didn't get that other job for a reason.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 8, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I went to a rural high school so practically everyone had a car by senior year, most by junior (got mine as a sophomore :smug:). Most popular vehicle was probably late '80s Toyota pickups with 31s and KC lights. I rebuilt so many hubs and brake systems for those trucks in auto-shop.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ExplodingSims posted:

Except that oil refuses to stay in the engine for whatever reason.

That's a feature, it's the built-in rust prevention system.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

The problem is I'm a cheapass. The only item we've really splurged on in our entire house is that ridiculous couch. What should I look for in a lower-priced projector? I also don't mind buying used.

Basically just like buying a TV, get the highest resolution, best contrast/color display you can in your price range. Another consideration with projectors is their lumens, whether you want to be able to watch TV with the lights on or be forced to dim them/turn them off just to see the screen. That may not be as much of an issue anymore, it's been 5 or so years since my dad bought one for his basement theater.

And what Rhyno said, sometimes a bigger screen isn't better.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow, what an rear end in a top hat. Boot her rear end to the curb ASAP.

For real. I'm incredibly generous with my :420: but holy drat if someone smoked my whole stash while I was gone I would be furious.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Verizon just sent my girlfriend's info to a collection agency over a $25 service fee that she was assured by multiple Verizon phone-monkeys would be stricken from her account when she closed it 2 months ago. I would definitely bring booze to the party if someone wants to start the fire...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My not-quite-two years old daughter is more obsessed with cars than even I was at that age. She has to have a hot-wheels car with her when she goes to bed, hugs the car after riding in it, and calls my Celica a race-car because she loves watching youtube videos of Celicas rallying through the forest (and she'll get pissy if I try to sneak in other kinds of racing). If I'm working on a car she'll come over and pick up a wrench and try to help out.

Basically having a kid is cool as hell. :3:

Also, my mom used to sing Cats in the Cradle to me every night as a baby. She said she didn't really pay attention to the lyrics until I got older, at which point it was too late to try a different song.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Negromancer posted:

Worst part is there is no garage, and I have no idea wtf I am going to do with my celica.

I would offer storage space but I'll probably be having to find a new place to live in 6 months and will be in the same boat wrt Celica storage.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I just want to read the drat thing. I can't even find a copy to borrow from the library.

Have you tried talking to the people in the interlibrary loan office at your library? That's how I got my hands on a copy to read. It's a really cool book with some great stories and pictures but not hundreds-of-dollars good. An ILL request usually costs a few bucks at the most.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sooo I have a question for the more knowledgeable and up-to-date computer guys in here. I've been (trying to) build a gaming computer for the last year. Back in the day when I was more involved in the computing scene AMD was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain when it came to processors and I love the hell out of my old Athlon XP based rig, which I still keep around for running older games. I intended to go with an AMD FX- series processor for my new system and purchased a mobo with that thought in mind. But all I seem to see in SH/SC and YOSPOS is post after post about how much AMD and their FX platform is utter garbage. I've tried actually wading through the SH/SC thread to get more information but I left with a migraine and feeling even more confused.

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
lol the last-gen Pentium in my laptop hits 83c just loading a youtube video and idles at like 54c. But, it's a Pentium so that's normal.

Thanks for all the good replies (and thanks to Phone for the IRC help), looks like I'll be dumping the mobo I have and going with an i5K of some kind.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

If you have a micro center near you, consider going there for your motherboard and processor. They have really good bundle deals on those and overall pretty good prices.

Closest one to me is 2 hours away :( I miss being able to go and kill a few hours in there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?

NSX, no question. I like the Esprit a lot but the NSX is a sports car you can DD with very few problems. Plus I am alllll about cars that can turn a corner.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the red threads at the top of the forums? Click either one, you get both messages and both Debbie Metallica and Lowtax show the same avatars... is this some type of matrix glitch?

Well the last time Lowtax put up a red thread it broke the phone app for a week (technically not SAs fault, I think it was a coding issue with the newest version of the app), so who the hell knows what's going on now. I'm frankly amazed the forums work even half as good as they do, running on a kludged together version of vBulletin from last century and "maintained" by Radium for all those years.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The back glass of my iphone broke a few weeks ago so I ordered a $15 brushed metal replacement from china. It looks pretty good. I meant to replace the camera/flash assembly while I had the back off because the flash has been broken for months but decided I could do that some other time. Two hours later on a whim I try the flashlight, and it works fine. Wtf phone. Whatever, I'll take the win.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I ran my car through the automatic wash earlier today. The one at Royal Farms actually does a pretty nice job for $8. Less than ten minutes later I got bombarded by some type of bird. I'm gonna go ahead assume that a species of bird called the gape assed car ruiner exists because the circumstances were kind of remarkable.

I was going about 60 mph when what looked like four massive globs of watered down chocolate frosty splattered across my hood and windshield. There were no wires or tree cover anywhere near me. There was nothing large enough to cause that kind of mayhem that i could see, not that i could see much through the horribleness. It couldn't have been a flock of geese either because I know what goose poo poo looks like.

Even with rain x bug cleaner juice all the wipers did was smear it around. I had to use a shop rag and about half a can of invisible glass to get rid of it. I just don't understand how one bird could contain so much poo poo, or how only a few birds could pull off such amazing grouping. So soon after being washed too. :(

Sounds like geese. Those bastards are like angry, flying poo poo-factories.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

Anyone remember those nissan ads in the late 90s?

The only Nissan ad I can remember period is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V42Tbm8w2Ak

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

I love that one.

This one is better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XLyCDsKhGo

I have to agree, that is fantastic.

Also, that's some ridiculous turbo-lag :mmmhmm:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How is this supposed to work? Is the cop supposed to notice that you are illegally parked, then track you down as the owner of the vehicle and force you to sign the parking ticket in order to make it valid?

More like cop writes a dozen frivolous parking tickets banking on most of the people not giving a gently caress and just paying the small fine instead of wasting a day fighting it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've never been in many fights by virtue of being one of those people everybody seems to get along with, though for the life of me I haven't figured out why. Having some anger problems and incredibly low patience for bullshit generally makes anybody else think twice about trying, but my bark is much, much worse than my bite. I'm a big softy at heart.

Also nerdy, oh yes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
On the one hand I'm excited for the new Initial D movie (trilogy?!) but hoooly crap if you think AE86 prices are stupid now...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I hate my friends.

That is all.

Corn Chips is my new best friend, look at dat belly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

Did I log into your account by accident?

Hah! I thought about mentioning that no matter how bad my friends are, they are, thankfully, not your friends. I'm afraid nobody can beat you at the lovely friends game.

• Locked thread