Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Wait. Price beaned Ortiz, then the teams were warned. Then Price beaned Carp, and Price wasn't ejected? What the heck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Wait. Price beaned Ortiz, then the teams were warned. Then Price beaned Carp, and Price wasn't ejected? What the heck?

no intent

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cause he was very clearly not trying to hit anyone when Carp was beaned.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

quote:

“Last year we kick his rear end in the playoffs, he went off, talking poo poo about everybody, Tom Verducci and everybody. Players. We kind of got to talk on the phone. We kind of straightened things out.

“You aren’t going to win every time. When you give it up, that’s an experience for the next time. But when you’re to be acting like a little bitch every time you give it up, bounce back like that and put your teammates in jeopardy, that’s going to cost you.”

“Nothing. He knows he screwed up. He did that on his own. No manager say anything to him. No player was comfortable with the situation. He did that on his own, which is bullshit. He can’t get somebody out, he can’t be doing that [expletive]."

Good thing the editor spared us from that last expletive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MassaShowtime posted:

Cause he was very clearly not trying to hit anyone when Carp was beaned.

Which is fine, but then what's the point of the warnings since can't you get ejected for intentionally throwing at someone even before warnings are issued?

Although that the winning run in the game got on base by HPB is pretty funny in retrospect.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2014

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ten Million Dollars.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Does the American Girl doll Hospital do Tommy John?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Joba Chamberlain is the best relief pitcher on the Tigers staff. Okay.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

VJeff posted:

Joba Chamberlain is the best relief pitcher on the Tigers staff. Okay.

Joba rules

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

can't wait for some Oscar Taveras me

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
I haven't heard of this woman before, but this video is a pretty good reaction to the Rick Reilly column. http://youtu.be/6guM0BaZJSw

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Mugwump posted:

I haven't heard of this woman before, but this video is a pretty good reaction to the Rick Reilly column. http://youtu.be/6guM0BaZJSw
this is, in fact, real bad.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The Astros have won 7 in a row and I have no idea what is even happening anymore.

Are we somehow not the worst team in baseball anymore? Finally?

On a similar note: George Springer is super fun to watch live.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?
They've decreased the number of places where they have some AAA dude playing every day, at least.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

The Astros have won 7 in a row and I have no idea what is even happening anymore.

Dingers always rule I agree.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

MassaShowtime posted:

Dingers always rule I agree.

Altuve will always have my heart, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ComposerGuy posted:

These two points are in fact not similar but directly related.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Marcus Stroman is starting today?!?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

IcePhoenix posted:

These two points are in fact not similar but directly related.

I think the starting rotation gets some of the credit at least.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

mynameisjohn posted:

can't wait for some Oscar Taveras me

Sucks that Matt Adams had to die for Oscar to get called up

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

PotatoJudge posted:

hopefully the results will eschew the process in this instance

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

mynameisjohn posted:

hopefully the results will eschew the process in this instance

I'll get over it if Oscar goes all Puig on the league. On the other hand hopefully Matheny doesn't freeze him out if he goes 0 for his first 4.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

It's shocking just how bad a manager Mike Matheny is outside of the "clubhouse" stuff which is, admittedly, probably much more important than we acknowledge. All his playing time decisions/strategic moves have been acceptable at best and borderline despicable at worst this season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

The Cubs still exist

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

PotatoJudge posted:

it's probably actually because it's late may

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mynameisjohn posted:

It's shocking just how bad a manager Mike Matheny is outside of the "clubhouse" stuff which is, admittedly, probably much more important than we acknowledge. All his playing time decisions/strategic moves have been acceptable at best and borderline despicable at worst this season.

There is no interpretation of his strategic moves that could be deemed as acceptable.

At this point I'm starting to think the sheath on the hunting knife he got in 2000 was actually perfectly intact.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
So now that Minor League Guy (Tavares), is in the majors, is still Minor League Guy or is he Major League Guy now?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Ryan Zimmerman is starting in Left Field tonight for the Nationals. Should be a good time had by all fly balls hit to him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harlock posted:

Ryan Zimmerman is starting in Left Field tonight for the Nationals. Should be a good time had by all fly balls hit to him

Washington already played today though?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Harlock posted:

Not the Potomac Nationals, who he started his rehab stint with yesterday?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

How realistic is all this talk of the Blue Jays going after James Shields?

I really hope we get him, but I don't want to see us do something like trade Stroman for him and have him go on to become a dominant pitcher for years while Shields sticks around for one year as a rental before going to another club with a big budget.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

canadianclassic posted:

How realistic is all this talk of the Blue Jays going after James Shields?

I really hope we get him, but I don't want to see us do something like trade Stroman for him and have him go on to become a dominant pitcher for years while Shields sticks around for one year as a rental before going to another club with a big budget.

I'm sure the Blue Jays will ask after him, but the Royals are probably going to want two of Stroman/Hutchison/Sanchez for him and that might be too big a pill for Toronto to swallow, especially if the market for Shields is strong enough that they don't have to bring that price down -- and it's probably in the Jays' best interests to try and get something done before the Yankees get serious about addressing their rotation issues.

He's by far a better target and better value for Toronto than Jeff Samardzija for even one of those three guys, though.

Crion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
the problem with a trade that involves hutchinson is that the jays have no pitching depth as it is and they need to add a starter not switch out for a better one. sheilds/buehrle/dickey/hutchinson is pretty functional even if dickey is just league average and after buehrle collapses. if they give up hutchinson than they are still running out happ and mcgowan? in the 4th and 5th spots and that is not going to end well.

stroman probably doesn't end up a starter in the major leagues and i don't really care if they move him. to be honest i'd be ok with moving stroman and sanchez because even though i think that the hitting is a mirage and the pitching might fall apart even more so, this is toronto's first real shot at making the playoffs in 20 years and they should go for it. they don't have any prospects anyway so gently caress the future. i doubt either stroman or sanchez are going to end up even as good as hutchinson.

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

Zamboni Jesus posted:

the problem with a trade that involves hutchinson is that the jays have no pitching depth as it is and they need to add a starter not switch out for a better one. sheilds/buehrle/dickey/hutchinson is pretty functional even if dickey is just league average and after buehrle collapses. if they give up hutchinson than they are still running out happ and mcgowan? in the 4th and 5th spots and that is not going to end well.

stroman probably doesn't end up a starter in the major leagues and i don't really care if they move him. to be honest i'd be ok with moving stroman and sanchez because even though i think that the hitting is a mirage and the pitching might fall apart even more so, this is toronto's first real shot at making the playoffs in 20 years and they should go for it. they don't have any prospects anyway so gently caress the future. i doubt either stroman or sanchez are going to end up even as good as hutchinson.

who is this Hutchinson you speak of

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Maybe I'm a little too stoked on Stroman right now, but I just have this awful feeling we'll trade away someone really great for a temporary boost. Is Hutchison really that good though?

Sanchez I wouldn't think twice about seeing gone, but it's unlikely we'd get someone like Shields for him alone.

On the other hand, though, you're right. If we have a chance now we should take it, because the core of the lineup isn't getting any younger and things seem to be going well right now. Once guys like Bautista, Encarnacion, and Reyes start slowing down and getting hurt more (lol reyes getting hurt MORE) it won't matter if we developed these pitchers because the offense will be in a rebuild.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Shields won't get moved until the end of July if he does get moved, so there's not much use in discussing it now

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I don't think the pitching is real, and neither is the hitting. None of the players are real. The Toronto Blue Jays never existed. Wake up America.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The Blue Jays, and by trickle-down Blue Jays fans, are massively overrating the likelihood that Stroman is able to handle a starter's workload; generally smaller dudes who live and die on great fastballs end up in late inning relief, and 'good to great reliever' is not a bad outcome for Stroman at all. A lot of the current hype also has to do with overvaluing him just because he's the best prospect in the Jays organization, the same way Detroit fans overvalued guys like Avisail Garcia because he was at the top of an organization that couldn't send its actual top prospects out of town for major league players fast enough.

Edit: You could instead insist that Aaron Sanchez is the team's best prospect, but personally I'd value the guy who's shown he can figure out AA higher. (The minor league level, not the GM)

Crion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
if the future of the jays is stroman and sanchez the future is pretty bleak

• Locked thread