Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Crion posted:

It's never really in everyone's best interests if a player is that good

Any particular reason it would not be in my interests to watch a dude murder baseballs and become a star?

Or do you just mean that it wouldn't be in everybody's best interests because the teams he plays against would not like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Antonin Scalia writes a scathing dissent to the Nationals detailing his opposition to the contract.

Presumably because he thinks it should be signed with the Expos instead.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Slick Willy knows how to catch the trim

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everblight posted:

Justice Sotomayor signed to AAA-deal with Nats.

Maddux would have gotten that pitch called a strike.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

uggy posted:

Any particular reason it would not be in my interests to watch a dude murder baseballs and become a star?

Or do you just mean that it wouldn't be in everybody's best interests because the teams he plays against would not like it?

Yes, that is why I specifically mentioned Texas's division rivals in the part of that sentence you chopped off

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Everblight posted:

Bush is even a better pitcher than Barry O.

Also alright Snoop.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder that "T-Rex" is on that list:

Also, "Cat":

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everblight posted:

Reminder that "T-Rex" is on that list:

I feel like that pitch was way closer than the chart gives him credit for, too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like that pitch was way closer than the chart gives him credit for, too.

Clearly Gargamel Molina is an expert framer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Everblight posted:

Clearly Gargamel Molina is an expert framer.

Well I mean, if you project that pitch out to the plate then it's mostly accurate but he threw it right to where the catcher set up, thoguh it was in the dirt. So it's really Gargamel's fault that he looks so bad.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

gleep gloop posted:

Bush is even a better pitcher than Barry O.

Also alright Snoop.

And also Matthew McConaughey is better a pitcher than Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan.

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 30, 2014

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bush's pitch would get hit about 500 feet. Snoop's has too much of the plate too. McConaughey, Clinton, and Randy have the best pitch locations on that graphic, and Stone Cold's probably would have been better except that it looks suspiciously like Jason Varitek stood up behind the plate.

Crion fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 30, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Don't take the only good part of Dub's presidency away from him. He walked out after 9/11 and threw a strike, it was inspiring. He was wearing a bulletproof vest, that probably makes it harder to paint the corners. Although I suppose not as hard as "being a dinosaur" does.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The best part about that image making the rounds are all the people surprised that Nolan Ryan threw a pitch that far off the plate

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Sotomayor would definitely give someone some chin music

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Is there a video of Verne Troyer throwing out the first pitch? Because I need to see that right now.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Avril Lavinge would have struck out Adam Jones, so at least she has that

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Laderhan posted:

And also Matthew McConaughey is better a pitcher than Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan.

Is there anything this man can't do right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would wear a J.K. Livin Jersey. The degree to which he has embraced being Wooderson is great.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Everblight posted:

Yankees fan :colbert:

Who was that dude who threw a first pitch after doing a couple mad flips? Is he on that graphic?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Everblight posted:

Maddux with a called strike three

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

DOOP posted:

Yankees fan :colbert:

Who was that dude who threw a first pitch after doing a couple mad flips? Is he on that graphic?

Cirque du Soleil

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Of course someone else made the joke

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Crion posted:

Bush's pitch would get hit about 500 feet. Snoop's has too much of the plate too. McConaughey, Clinton, and Randy have the best pitch locations on that graphic, and Stone Cold's probably would have been better except that it looks suspiciously like Jason Varitek stood up behind the plate.

Bush promised to quickly throw a strike and he did, what happened afterwards couldn't be forseen.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I would wear a J.K. Livin Jersey. The degree to which he has embraced being Wooderson is great.

I want to hate him pretty badly.

Then I remind myself that if my upper body was that awesome, I'd never wear a shirt either. And that Wooderson is one of the greatest characters in cinema history.

And I just :3: a little.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

shower

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

MourningView posted:

Don't take the only good part of Dub's presidency away from him. He walked out after 9/11 and threw a strike, it was inspiring. He was wearing a bulletproof vest, that probably makes it harder to paint the corners. Although I suppose not as hard as "being a dinosaur" does.

It's worth noting that Dubya's was from the mound (Jeter told him he'd get booed otherwise) while most of the others stood closer to home plate.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

gleep gloop posted:

Bush promised to quickly throw a strike and he did, what happened afterwards couldn't be forseen.

Extremely underrated post, imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Francis Underwood couldn't even reach home plate when he threw out the first pitch.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Crion posted:

Extremely underrated post, imo

Second that motion.

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns

Crion posted:

I do think it's going to be impossible to satisfy the hype that's building around Gallo, but that's just because baseball fans steadfastly refuse to learn their lessons about prospects and do things like use Russell Branyon as a worst case outcome for a dude who's had success in Rookie and A Ball and who started the season in the bottom half or not on a bunch of Top 100 lists.

He got updated to 25 on Keith Law's mideseason list after not being in top 100 :lol:. He may bust but at this point its either routinely looking at the DL of the major league club and shaking my head or watching Gallo hit some dingers. I will take the dingers.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hey while we're talking about prospects again anyone want to weigh in with some like, actual prospect knowledge about this post I made 6 pages ago?

toadee posted:

So there's no Minor League thread anymore and absent anywhere else to post this I was hoping some of the more hardcore prospect crew could chip in on a question I have. How legit is Mookie Betts? I will be just fine if someone who knows the mystic black arts of looking at prospects tells me it's all smoke and mirrors and he will not amount to anything, but I keep looking at his numbers and they look pretty insane to me for a guy at his position and age at the level he is at. Should I be excited?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

toadee posted:

Hey while we're talking about prospects again anyone want to weigh in with some like, actual prospect knowledge about this post I made 6 pages ago?

Mookie Betts has had 200 or so really good PAs at AA and is probably worth some of the hype he has around him right now (though not worth the insane mea culpa he got from BP's head prospect guy, which read like it was written after Betts was selected to the MLB All-Star Game) but probably doesn't have a future in Boston due to his natural position (2B) being blocked for the foreseeable future and not being a really good fit anywhere else on the field (they're currently trying him in CF, but he probably can't credibly lock that down long term with his toolset). If I had to guess, I'd guess he'll be the centerpiece of a trade for some great MLB player who fits a current roster need either this coming offseason or some time next year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Sox aren't shopping Betts(*). For as good as their farm system is, they don't have much by way of OF depth. So if Betts is even remotely adequate at shagging fly balls they'll do it to get that bat in the lineup.
(*) well, maybe in a package to get Stanton out of Miami.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Gallo will probably bust because baseball but he's beautiful now. He needs to get promoted to AA though because A)I want to see him live, and B) apparently none of the pitchers in A+ are willing to throw him strikes anymore. His slash line over the last two weeks is .172/.467/.379.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

howe_sam posted:

The Sox aren't shopping Betts(*). For as good as their farm system is, they don't have much by way of OF depth. So if Betts is even remotely adequate at shagging fly balls they'll do it to get that bat in the lineup.

They are not shopping Betts at the moment, correct. Betts is also not a credible outfielder at the moment and likely will not magically become a credible outfielder just because it suits the Red Sox current needs. If he does end up in the OF, he'll likely end up in left, and while left field has been a halfway house for all kinds of wayward players over the last decade -- mainly blocked centerfielders or DHs -- there's no real reason to believe his bat will be anything super-special there, yet. Again, he hit well in A Ball last year and has had 230 good PA at AA. Lots of guys have done that and just been league average bats at best in the majors. A not-insignificant number of guys have done that and busted out of baseball entirely, for injury reasons or otherwise. If the Red Sox can get a good to great major league player for a package centering around him -- and Stanton would be in the very upper range of those kinds of players -- then he should be on the first flight out. The insane Red Sox prospect hype machine is only worth maintaining if you use it, after all.

Crion fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 30, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

howe_sam posted:

Well, he's officially a Red Sox prospect.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

I think any package for Stanton would have to start with Bogaerts... so no thank you.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Is Miami actually shopping Stanton or is this all wishful thinking on the part of Red Sox fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

They have actively said they will not trade him, but most people are going with the extensive evidence to the contrary and assume that Loria is lying through his teeth.

• Locked thread