Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

See this is why I always ask in here before I get too excited about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
small dudes tend to end up in relief because teams believe that small dudes should be relievers

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Toronto lists Marcus Stroman at 5'9". Here is a complete list of pitchers 5'9" or shorter who have thrown over 180 innings in a season since 1961:

Tom Phoebus (1967-69)
Fred Norman (1972-77, 1979)
Tom Gordon (1990, 1995-97)

Given the choice between there being something to the idea that guys with smaller, less sturdy frames being unable to handle the rigorous workload of a modern professional MLB starter's season and the idea that everyone in baseball up to and including every lauded smart front office currently in operation is full of morons writing off the competitive advantage of short pitchers as starters without giving them a fair shake, I'm gonna go with the former.

Additionally: Marcus Stroman? Not actually 5'9". Probably closer to 5'7", if that.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 31, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

its a eugenicist conspiracy actually

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Crion posted:

Toronto lists Marcus Stroman at 5'9". Here is a complete list of pitchers 5'9" or shorter who have thrown over 180 innings in a season since 1961:

Tom Phoebus (1967-69)

Given the choice between there being something to the idea that guys with smaller, less sturdy frames being unable to handle the rigorous workload of a modern professional MLB starter's season and the idea that everyone in baseball up to and including every lauded smart front office currently in operation is full of morons writing off the competitive advantage of short pitchers as starters without giving them a fair shake, I'm gonna go with the former.

Additionally: Marcus Stroman? Not actually 5'9". Probably closer to 5'6", if that.

yes because everyone knows it's better to have a tall, durable workhorse like matt harvey, matt moore or jose fernandez

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

bluh posted:

yes because everyone knows it's better to have a tall, durable workhorse like matt harvey, matt moore or jose fernandez

Oh, well, three guys got hurt, better assume that every front office since the 60s is completely fuckin stupid.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
my point is that there's not any actual known link between the height of a pitcher and their risk for injury

e: and if we're going to include broad appeals to authority here, the Blue Jays FO hasn't immediately converted him to relief so I guess they have no clue what they're doing

Jim Dwyer fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 31, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bluh posted:

the Blue Jays FO hasn't immediately converted him to relief so I guess they have no clue what they're doing

There's a lot of evidence that this is true!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I don't think anyone said anything about shorter pitchers tearing their UCLs more often, so I really have no idea what you think you're talking about

And the Blue Jays have handled Stroman fine so far. You give a guy his chance to start until he proves he can't -- for Stroman, this will likely involve flagging late in the season around the 130-140 inning mark, if not sooner -- and then you proceed from there. Teams can tell when guys are fatigued and not pitching as effectively, and can change their plans accordingly.

Crion fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 31, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bluh posted:

my point is that there's not any actual known link between the height of a pitcher and their risk for injury

Crion posted:

Tom Phoebus (1967-69)

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Crion posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about shorter pitchers tearing their UCLs more often, so I really have no idea what you think you're talking about

You claimed shorter pitchers can't handle the workload of starting. I'm saying that to my knowledge, there's no real link between height and injury risk, and that it's all broad stereotyping without actual data backing it up. Feel free to prove me wrong if there's some kind of study on the subject I just don't happen to be aware of!

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

bluh posted:

You claimed shorter pitchers can't handle the workload of starting. I'm saying that to my knowledge, there's no real link between height and injury risk, and that it's all broad stereotyping without actual data backing it up. Feel free to prove me wrong if there's some kind of study on the subject I just don't happen to be aware of!

well you're the one who posited that MLB organizations don't want short guys to be starters, so really the onus to provide evidence is on you.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Politicalrancor posted:

well you're the one who posited that MLB organizations don't want short guys to be starters, so really the onus to provide evidence is on you.

well you already have the small list of real short guys who have thrown 180+ innings at the MLB level, that seems like good evidence to me! There's obviously a lot of factors in play, but there is a tendency toward taller guys as starters. I just think it's dumb to pigeonhole a guy because no one his size has done it before - like, you'll never know if he can or not unless he's given the opportunity, because there's basically no precedent. No need to shovel dirt on him until there's actually reason to believe he can't be effective as a starter.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Or maybe most baseball players are taller than 5'9". Pitchers as a group are the tallest but most short dudes play 2B/SS anyway.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Spoeank posted:

Or maybe most baseball players are taller than 5'9". Pitchers as a group are the tallest but most short dudes play 2B/SS anyway.

I feel like there should be a separate bar on there just for Jose Altuve.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
For context, Marcus Stroman's listed height is 69 inches (though he's probably 66 or 67), meaning he doesn't even make it past the x-axis of that graph.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was under the impression that being tall was just a natural advantage for a pitcher and it's harder to pitch effectively when you're a little guy. Like, for the same reasons they lowered the mound way back when.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My left-handed fielding 6'7'' SS in MVP 2004 can only exist in a video game

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe Doc's arm feels better.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Crion posted:

Marcus Stroman's listed height is 69 inches

Nice

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Grittybeard posted:

I was under the impression that being tall was just a natural advantage for a pitcher and it's harder to pitch effectively when you're a little guy. Like, for the same reasons they lowered the mound way back when.

Yep, it's not all about injuries, though with a good enough fastball you can generally overcome that particular disadvantage. The question is how close to max effort the shorter pitcher has to go on every pitch in order to maintain a fastball that good, and how deep he can go into a game when he's throwing that close to max effort.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Someone here needs to become a kinesiologist so that they can answer the physics of these kinds of things. I mean, empirically it sure seems like the taller the better, but I do wonder about the physics of a small guy pitching vs the physics of a tall guy pitching.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It's also worth noting that being tall doesn't save you from having a poo poo fastball if you, in fact, have a poo poo fastball. Hello, Mark Hendrickson.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Grittybeard posted:

Yes, and the Jays have Jason Frasor in the recent past to look at for how being short can effect a pitcher even once they're in relief.

But, on the other hand, Height Don't Measure Heart.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

The working theory is that taller guys have bigger frames, allowing them to put on more beneficial mass, which helps their durability. And let's not confuse "durability" with "never gets injured." Being durable can simply mean you're able to go throw more pitches, which generally translates to more innings, before tiring out. In a normal, injury free, season a pitcher will get 32-35 starts or so, meaning to hit 180 innings they don't even need to average 6 IP per start.

Crion posted:

Yep, it's not all about injuries, though with a good enough fastball you can generally overcome that particular disadvantage. The question is how close to max effort the shorter pitcher has to go on every pitch in order to maintain a fastball that good, and how deep he can go into a game when he's throwing that close to max effort.

This too. Being taller = longer arms = a longer lever arm, which means more velocity from the same amount of effort compared to a shorter one!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 31, 2014

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

But, on the other hand, Height Don't Measure Heart.

Nor cool buff dad genes

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

bluh posted:

well you already have the small list of real short guys who have thrown 180+ innings at the MLB level, that seems like good evidence to me! There's obviously a lot of factors in play, but there is a tendency toward taller guys as starters. I just think it's dumb to pigeonhole a guy because no one his size has done it before - like, you'll never know if he can or not unless he's given the opportunity, because there's basically no precedent. No need to shovel dirt on him until there's actually reason to believe he can't be effective as a starter.

there's two arguments going on here. 1. that extremely short pitchers like stroman can't handle the rigors of a full season as a starter and 2. that teams are biased against short starters and therefore short guys just don't get a chance

even if the first were not true, the second still would be. there is no evidence that a pitcher as short as stroman will be able to succeed as a starter longterm, there is lots of evidence that teams will convert a pitcher of his height into a reliever.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MassaShowtime posted:

Nor cool buff dad genes

I know I spell dad "H-G-H"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

MassaShowtime posted:

Nor cool buff dad genes

The father is jacked and the son got Jack3d.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't know who that dude is but he's wearing Duke stuff so I hope they leave him as a starter and his shoulder rips apart irreparably.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
yall got rhabuf'd

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

yall got rhabuf'd

oh loving goddamnit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have banned like 20 rhabuf re-regs and that guys doesn't write anything like him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

MourningView posted:

I have banned like 20 rhabuf re-regs and that guys doesn't write anything like him.

He's learning. Adapting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think there is a definite selection bias at work with short pitchers vs tall pitchers. Just like how in the past when Branch Rickey would hold mass try outs he'd cut everyone who couldn't throw first, then everyone who couldn't run, and if you made it past that you'd get to hit. David Ortiz never would have made it to the BP portion!

But when you're dealing with having to find major league caliber players out of a group of thousands, you may as well bias your selection to narrow the field to something manageable, its like whatever.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
branch rickey is so loving stupid

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Groucho Marxist posted:

branch rickey is so loving stupid

Eh, it was a different era. And he did a few things right.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Welcome to the Anthony Rizzo Own Zone.

:lol: at the Cubs putting up an eight spot for Jason Hammel. Every Cub run scored on a non-Samardzija day is an act of passive aggression against Samardzija because of his haircut (a theory)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Welcome to the Anthony Rizzo Own Zone.

:lol: at the Cubs putting up an eight spot for Jason Hammel. Every Cub run scored on a non-Samardzija day is an act of passive aggression against Samardzija because of his haircut (a theory)

You know, this is a theory I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Wellll Henderson Alvarez had a good bullpen session today and is expected to start vs Rays. Reliever Carter Capps is getting a second opinion on his elbow from James Andrews.

Fire it up.

• Locked thread