Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FairGame posted:

(actually it was probably really annoying for anyone but the home team like the Victorino thing last year, but gently caress it.)

Victorino's Three Little Birds sing-a-long rules because it's the perfect message for hyperventilating sports fans. Plus when he then hits a dinger, like in Game 6 of the ALCS, it seems like fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

EDIT EDIT:
    Consecutive seasons, .400 on-base percentage or better

• 17 - Ted Williams, Boston Red Sox - 1939 through 1958
Ted Williams is the best player ever, right? Like we all agree he's better than Bonds, Ruth and Aaron?

Outside of the guys who were killed, was Williams the player most hosed by World War 2? I mean if you give him his six year average from 1940-42 and 46-48, the three years before and after his service (a slash line of 359/497/646 by the way), and he has way over 3000 hits and 600 dingers. Sure it's a big assumption, but the guy had just hit his prime and then got put on a shelf for three years. Or was the talent in MLB already too depleted because of the war in 41, 42 and 46 to really take those numbers with anything but a huge grain of salt?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

We need a time machine for the sole purpose of going back and properly scouting old time ball players

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

davecrazy posted:

They *earned* their championships with the grit and hustle of dudes with facial hair and the clutch hitting of David Ortiz.

They/we also had to put up with the disastrous (and mercifully short) reign of Bobby the Fifth. I'd say that's worth a championship or three.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I now deeply regret the Tigers trading Prince, because we can't compare twelve-year old Prince in Zubaz to thirty-year old Prince in Zubaz

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

VJeff posted:

WELLLLLLLLL gently caress you again, Red Sox. gently caress you, again.

What's hilarious about this is all the Red Sox fans I care to pay attention to are blasting the decision because they'd rather ride out the season with Bogaerts at SS, and I guess plug along with Brock Holt at 3B, or maybe call up Checchini (who is in no way ready to play 3B in the bigs).

I thought letting Drew walk was the right decision at the time, but with how terrible the Sox have been against RHP, and how terrible 3B is. Moving Bogaerts over and slotting in Drew makes a hell of a lot of sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pedro Martinez on pitching

quote:

Pitching is feel. Your hand and the ball is a marriage that should never end. The pitcher and the ball should be married forever. Hands, fingers, the ball – they should be married forever. It’s like caressing your wife. It’s touching and getting that feel to know her, alone. It’s the same thing with a baseball.

Forever the best :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

angrygodofjebus posted:

Manny Ramirez signed with the Cubs to be a player/coach at AAA Iowa which is really cool.

I hope he still can go to the big 2004 anniversary thing at Fenway on Wednesday since he needs to be there.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Unless you can do this with a bullpen I don't want anything to do with them

(Sorry Tigers fans)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

JackssWastedLife posted:

Which would you rather have? If the Dodgers are forced to eat some of the money I think my answer would become Kemp.

Yeah, it hinges on how much money the dodgers are willing to eat. Also, I don't think it's a question of Kemp vs JBJ as much as it is Kemp vs Sizemore/Nava/Gomes. I've been intrigued by the idea since it's not like the Sox have any great OF prospects about to break through (except for IF guys like Mookie they could convert), and they have a ton of payroll flexibility going forward.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm loving the illustrations on this ESPN article about The Unwritten Rules.

My favorite part was CJ Wilson quoting Charlie Murphy.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Sox aren't shopping Betts(*). For as good as their farm system is, they don't have much by way of OF depth. So if Betts is even remotely adequate at shagging fly balls they'll do it to get that bat in the lineup.
(*) well, maybe in a package to get Stanton out of Miami.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think Ortiz is going to try and mount David Price's head on a pike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MassaShowtime posted:

Cause he was very clearly not trying to hit anyone when Carp was beaned.

Which is fine, but then what's the point of the warnings since can't you get ejected for intentionally throwing at someone even before warnings are issued?

Although that the winning run in the game got on base by HPB is pretty funny in retrospect.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2014

• Locked thread