Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Hank Steinbrenner himself said in 2007 "We’re going to have three No. 1’s three years from now" referring to Hughes, Chamberlain, and Kennedy if that's what people were talking about earlier. Yankees prospects will always get hyped because of the team (same goes for any big market team, really)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

tadashi posted:

Just to be clear:

Under contract past 2015
Chris Johnson
B.J. Upton

Not under contract past 2015
Justin Upton
Jason Heyward

you forgot an important one

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Abel Wingnut posted:

Did Kevin Towers facilitate the Scherzer trade too? And I'm pretty sure I remember him trading a few good, young pieces to Oakland too. Those wouldn't have hurt matters.

nah, that was the year before he was hired

he dealt Jarrod Parker to Oakland for Trevor Cahill. Parker blew out his elbow (for the second time), and Cahill looks broken, so that's a bit of a wash right now

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Tharizdun posted:

A terrifying monster whose face is obscured behind a blank visage.

And darth vader is throwing him a pitch

dave dombrowski is trying to find the number of vader's agent

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

MassaShowtime posted:

Morrow has a torn tendon sheath in his right hand so he's dead. Stroman has been recalled to pitch outta the pen cause of course JA Happ needs to start and Neil Wagner should be in the minors......

he is short, therefore he must be A Reliever. who are you to argue with baseball wisdom???

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

nerve posted:

The Brewers are already crashing back down to Earth. They won't make the playoffs.

they could be a .500 team the rest of the way and still win 87 games, I think they have a fairly good chance although the Braun injury has to suck for them

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

LordPants posted:

I think they're taking someone out of the rotation and putting them into the bullpen and think Lueke is under performing instead of just being old. I believe that's the rationale.

Odorizzi doesn't look like a MLB starter so I assume they're going to replace him

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

JP Arencibia was rocking a -24 OPS+ coming into today's game but he had a walk, a single, and a dinger so he must be ahead of Florimon now.

it's always funny to be reminded that OPS+ can actually be negative

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

The Cubs are loving terrible.

wait travis wood's 3.11 era last year isn't sustainable???

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Groucho Marxist posted:

He's so good and hilariously underrated because of FIP or something stupid like that

missing time from injuries probably has something to do with it

he's actually gotten better this year though which is completely loving insane

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Erick Fedde, another potential top-10 draft pick next month, needs Tommy John surgery

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
I don't think either guy would be in a position to refuse the Jays - it's not like they're going to improve their stock a year from now

of course, the jays seem to have enough trouble keeping their pitchers healthy as it is

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Imagine a pitcher with the super power that every hit he gives up is a home run.

Let's call him Pitcher CC.

but he only gave up one earned run tonight!

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
he doesn't even have velocity though, he throws 85 on a good day

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
I don't think the shift is destroying him so much as a career high rate of pop outs

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Kilonum posted:

The Red Sox are above .500 for the first time this season

I don't know how to feel about this.

well actually they started 2-1, but who gives a poo poo, the whole AL East is terrible

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

davecrazy posted:

They *earned* their championships with the grit and hustle of dudes with facial hair and the clutch hitting of David Ortiz.

and $120+ million payrolls and the dodgers buying all their bad contracts

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
just found this picture and welp

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
he's a good pitcher who's gotten a little lucky this year because he's only given up 1 home run, and has won lots of games because his team is 3rd in runs scored, and he will not keep it up but it's funny to pretend he will

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

MassaShowtime posted:

He has 7 wins cause he's got an era of 2 and is awesome and I don't give a poo poo about xFIP.

jeff samardzija has an era of 1.45 and has 0 wins

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Popete posted:

Just goes to show that the playoffs and World Series are not an accurate portrayal of the best teams in the league. I don't even care about the stupid WS super lame and dumb and I don't need one...

:cripes:

it would be less fun if the best team won every time

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Are we sure Joe Maddon isn't just a Tim & Eric character?

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
Ian Kinsler placed a curse on the team for trading him

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

You're joking, but Martin Perez is a great example of why cost certainty can be stupid.

They're going to be paying him $1.8M to do nothing for almost 2 seasons. It sucks but they're basically losing peanuts compared to what they'd be paying him anyway. The overall return on pre-arb contracts for pitchers has, in general, been extremely good (I can't remember where I saw the examples of this unfortunately)

Although at the rate guys break these days, extending anyone would be stupid as hell

e: lmfao of loving course it was written about martin perez http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/martin-perez-and-extensions-for-young-pitchers/

ee: looking at it again the analysis is poo poo, because fwar is stupid and it doesn't take into account how the deals play out, but gently caress it, it's a good list of extensions in one place

Jim Dwyer fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 15, 2014

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Cimber posted:

Did pitchers from 1900- 1980ish have these tears? Were a lot of guys going down back then?

we don't actually know, because there are no injury records, really, just anecdotes, and also there were no MRIs. It's very likely that guys would pitch for a season or multiple seasons back in the day with a torn UCL, until they sucked too much to play, then they would retire. There were also lots of guys going down to devastating shoulder injuries early in their career, which is less common now.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
it couldn't be worse than their current rotation

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
how does that explain grant balfour

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
they also for some unknown reason have didi gregorius rotting uselessly in aaa rather than trading him

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Captain Tolerable posted:

You know, three or four years ago the thing I would remember the most about Josh Donaldson was that time he milked a cow. I thought that was going to be his career highlight.

In the back of my head I thought the last season may be a fluke, I didn't want to think that but I did anyway.

While his BABIP regressed from last season he still has all his power. He continues to amaze me how good he turned out. That being said there's probably no way the A's can retain him long term. :smith:

He'll be 33 by the time he's a free agent, at that point there's no reason to sign him to a big deal

he does rule though

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
but who had the better xFIP

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
The Red Sox are reporting that Felix Doubront has "left shoulder fatigue" which is totally real and not a fake injury and has nothing to do with his 5.12 ERA thanks for asking

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
it's not like the jays have particularly strong competition within their division

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
because if there's a former player you want in a leadership role, it's Manny Ramirez

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

He's dumb enough to get popped for steroids twice, and everybody agrees that he is at a minimum eccentric. Throw in him attacking an underling and apparently a physical altercation with Youkilis and I'm fine with using a little hyperbole.

you forgot the time he was arrested for beating his wife

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
"the Jays have had a lot of busted pitching prospects, so Drew Hutchison will also bust" is a really terrible argument

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

DannoMack posted:

Jays won the trade

AA was the genius all along

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
someone needed to fill the void left by Jose Valverde

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

The_Hat posted:

Is Miami actually shopping Stanton or is this all wishful thinking on the part of Red Sox fans?

He's been rumored in trades forever because that's what Miami does, but they're not going to trade him while he's young, cheap, under team control through 2016, and they have a team they're trying to be competitive with. I doubt he's still playing for the Marlins in 2016, though.

Boston has a lot of assets in their farm system, but I think most of their prospects are overrated.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

Monicro posted:

The Tampa Bay Rays aren't good

in fact, they have a worse record than the Houston Astros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

PotatoJudge posted:

Sucks that Matt Adams had to die for Oscar to get called up

it's probably actually because it's late may