Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Chaos dwarves, true dwarves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Yeah.

Orcs
Humans
Chaos
Dwarves
Skaven I think?
Bretonnians (apparently like Fend-ier Vamps in terms of lineup, historically)
High Elves (aka The Boringest Elfs)
Dark Elves (yeah OK I guess)

Obviously they should have replaced Dwarves with Chaos Dwarves for that lineup :colbert:

And Woodies instead of High Elves.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

If they were not awful, then that would be logical.

Don't be hating on the coolest team.

Never said anything about them being *good* though, but surely a step up from loving dwarves.

(Unless you mean wood elves, meh)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

I meant Cyanide. I'm not nearly as against Chorfs as regular Dwarves.

Also, ya'll need to get Grab on the Wight.

Keep he's still 4 ST, we have more important wolves to replace.

Buy a drat Cheerleader already!

Ah, misunderstood you then.

Another team that could maybe use with replacement on that list is Humans for [a little more spice: Norse or Amazons] or [baller: Lizardmen or Necromantic].

Mostly because vanilla humans are pretty dull, even if they got all the basic blood bowl flexibility a decent team should have. That and having both Humans and Bretonnians, without any Undead or other weirdies is even duller :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Humans are a team that can be loads of stuff, Zons are dull as dishwater, and I wouldn't put them in a game where 1/8 of the teams available are Dwarves. That's just mean.

They should drop the High Elves, who are just a human team with no big guy, no interesting skill/stat differences between players, and an extra point of Agi. Eugh. Swap them for Undead or Wood Elves.

Are GW still developing Blood Bowl/new versions? Some of these teams have been "questionable" for a long drat time and could use either another positional/big guy or some skill changes. Last time I was interested in GW stuff in the mid 00 it didn't seem like they were doing much outside their main wargaming lines though. Since then there's only been a boardgame or two released (not made by GW though, right?).

If the wiki is anything to go by there hasn't really been any big changes since... 2007?

(The answer is that GW turned into a soulless, shambling, money-sucking zombie sometime during the 90ies)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

uPen posted:

GW is the only company that hates Blood Bowl more than Cyanide.

There's something deeply ironic about a company named Games Workshop outsourcing all their games workshopping to other companies and hiding any mention of all that stuff on their main website.

Did a random search for Mordheim on their website and I got 1 hit, a box of "Mordheim Turf" for 15 bux. Nevermind stuff like Gorkamorka or Necromunda :orks:

I guess one way of focusing on your "Core Business" as a hobby game maker is to cut all the hobby games and produce endless reams of Space Marine Fan Fiction :negative:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

namad posted:

GW makes a ton of money coming up with the models. Actually producing them and selling the physical good probably isn't that big a deal. Either 3d printing will kill them, OR explode their profitability as they sell the data files for full price and don't actually have to spend money on production. It's not like piracy instantly killed record labels or hollywood.

Considering the price premium (increase) of those little plastic mans in the last decade or so I'd say they are making a load of their profits from selling the actual pieces.

How would it even work for them to only sell the designs/schematics?

First couple of serious dozen dudes (or a hundred, whatever) with big 3D printer gear would buy that poo poo and then print out like a million plastic mans and run their own little middle-hand warehouse+retailing shops, eliminating any "premium" price difference through competition between themselves if nothing else.
Unless you mean that GW would somehow be able to collect a royalty for each mans produced? que £20 premium per man sold + yearly license fee and oh my god pirates are sinking this poo poo and keelhauling the CEO :supaburn:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

namad posted:

They'd sell personal print licenses, not for resale. Lots of things are labeled not for resale. If people open a big profitable businesses reselling things printed with the non-resale license then they sue them and take all the profits. It's like letting a movie theatre play a movie. Or well any business really?

If a guy shares a couple with his mates though, oh well that's just what they've got to suffer in the modern era of 3d printing, it's certainly not an instant death sentence?

Or heck, lots of digital media like DVDs have drm, maybe by law at some point some idiotic congressman will make it illegal to sell a 3d printer without a built in drm-encryption lock (just like how there is a law that passed that made selling proper unlocked dvdplayers illegal). Region locked dvdplayers are a sin against nature, similar idiotic ideas might keep GW afloat? Or who knows maybe 3d printers won't ever catch on? People often buy plenty of things they can make themselves.

Oh, no doubt they *could* survive and maybe even make a mint, but the corporate thinking at GW makes me less confident about them actually pulling that off than say, the known innovative and daring businessmen at Microsoft.

The one thing GW got going for them is that it will always (for like, a decade) be more expensive and harder to make decent copies of plastic mans compared to digital data to a disc or over the internet (and in this case, you gotta pirate the schematics too, probably).
But here their new ~premium~ price-point strategy becomes a problem for them, and is especially at odds with accessible piracy, because they shrink their market and if they can't actually offer any added-value (like say, collectors edition DVDs), and an army of plastic mans cost 500 bucks to put together by buying from them, it quickly becomes way more tempting to go through the hassle of piracy.

Perhaps not a business killing thing on its own in a vacuum but GW got far more in common with say, the comic book industry, than they do with some big movie or game publisher. Comic books do "okay...ish" at best, unlike the bigger industries (that can even take advantage of some of the plus sides of piracy), that's gonna be harder for any miniature maker to manage.´

This is all assuming that 3D printers actually become a thing, as in are affordable enough for your almost-average-joe to be competitive with just buying the drat models. I'm not some 3D printer technovore so I dunno how that's actually going to turn out.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Playing as early TV Lizards is suffering :negative:

(But they are cool dudes)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Slann on Stegadon, too OP even for Games Workshop?? :getin:

That orand Games Workshop Is A Bad Company

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm expecting some glorious loving Vampball here Grey, don't disappoint me :colbert:

Hmm, I wonder if the Vampire team wouldn't be helpedbe more interesting if they had the various bloodlines from WHFB as choices.
Something like dauntless/mighty blow/AV9 but M5 Blood Dragons; Speedy & hypnotizing but AV7 Lahmians; Frenzy, S5 but AV7/Wild Animal Strigoi and whatever the hell the Necrarchs would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Feinne posted:

It's sort of a shame Vampires are clearly designed as a super gimmick team compared to "generic" Undead and Necromantic (and maybe even Khemri, though they're pretty gimmick too) given that Vampires are badass enough to be the point of one of the two undead armies in WFB (the other being Khemri of course, who hate fukken Vampires).

I'd be all for Blood Bowl getting some continued development and buffing of the "joke tier" to be actually competent (well, on average... ) but seeing as how GW aint touching their board games much any longer and Cyanide being, well Cyanide (Khorne was their design? Perhaps I give them too little credit?) I don't feel very confident in balance being addressed in a good way.

Of course, as long as all the old teams are still around and available, why not have a little bit of community development... (no, bad Pimpmust, bad :ohdear:)

• Locked thread