Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lizardmen.

Second vote goes to necromantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Also, Kmquat and England are bloodbowl gods.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8936451 :britain:

Too beautiful for this world.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

England is a magical player. His best ever play involves shadowing a gunner for 8-9 spaces and then using pass block (from an item card in fumbbl) to intercept a pass immediately after.

Still not my favorite fumbbl player though

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=9246383

Sitting bull is why nobody wants to play my grabby chaos team.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

His purpose on the team is to stand there and have players pushed into him, almost every other player on the team has grab, which they use to push next to the 7 st tentacle standfirm big guy. He doesn't actually need to block and when he does he gets a 3db unassisted.

you have a 1/36 chance of failing a a 2db with block, you have a 1/27 chance of failing a 3db without block, you have a 1/9 chance of failing a 2db without block.

I could make him better at tentacling people and 3 times as good at blocking, or 4 times as good at blocking without the extra tentacle juice.

If he was a blitzer kind of big guy it would be different, but I mostly use him as a roadblock and obstacle with the team, so I stand by my decision.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

LP's over. Pack it in people. I want the furniture in the back and the boxes in the front, we're moving out of here.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I like naming all the zombies after puns or whatever if people want a theme, but I think the previous LPs worked well when most of the players had unique-ish names.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wait where is your other dog? Did he get a MNG?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My khemri strat is more in line with commatoes, I want my tombguardians relatively free to keep screening and annoying key players while I cage with weaker players. Sure a 4 TG cage may be nigh impenetrable, but you have a real hard time moving anywhere and it's easy to go all 8 turns without scoring.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

:allears: Skaven.

Me and yapo have a bonus game planned for some point where we finally do LP rats vs LP norse and see who comes out the victor ( I will have more points and all my players will be dead).

Dunno when thats going to roll around though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Once you have the rules down it's pretty easy to spot assists at a glance. Learning to 'read' the playing field is half of getting good at bloodbowl.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Oh yea, orcs can do fun stuff, like actually using the thrower to throw and throw team mate. but people who play orcs almost literally never do that.

Dwarves can create a team that has dump off/pass/nerves runners but you see that about as often as you see an orc team that actually passes.

Dwarf player spotted.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Playing against extremely slow, guard, block, high AV teams is very boring. Typically nothing happens and the game ends with a low score, like 1-0.

The team that is most guilty of this is dwarves, bar none. Orcs are certainly guilty of it as well, but that fact that dwarves exist gives them a scapegoat.

I can't remember the last time I've played a for fun, non-tournament, game against orcs. Goons just don't play orcs outside of tourneys for the exact reasons given here.

So basically, sure orcs are bad but under no circumstances are they as bad as dwarves.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

+1 for HungryLike the wolf

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In a perfect world when it's not raining, there are no tacklezones to worry about, it's not very sunny, and you don't have to make any GFIs to get into the endzone, a TTM one turn touchdown has a 36.5% chance of success with a reroll and only a 13% chance of success without one.

Now a 36% chance isn't something i would rely on, but given that a goblin team has roughly 36% chance to get a free touchdown at the end of at least one half, it's pretty okay.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yah, thats gobbo TTM with really stupid, and try to eat.

halfling TTM jumps to 19% without reroll and 46% with.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lord_Ventnor posted:

So, out of curiosity, what is the best team for a TTM-focused strategy? I dunno, it seems like it would be kind of funny for a team's Plan A to be "chuck the little guy."

The problem with TTM being plan A is that even if you have an 80% chance of success (which I don't think you could even do) that still means 1/5 drives you just straight up give the enemy the ball.

Other teams have failure built in, meaning even if my skaven handoff doesn't work I've made room for that and it's not the end of the world. If I can't bash my way through the screen this turn because my block dice were poor thats okay, I can do it next turn.

TTM is really a 'if this works I score, if it doesn't I straight up give the other team my drive'.

Makes it really hard to use as a core gimmick, however probably halflings if you want TTM to be your plan A, and underworld if you want to have a team who can actually do TTMs well without having to rely on it entirely.

For gobbos TTM is more of a desperation move, because plan A will always be 'use your few extremely powerful players to secure a quick man advantage and keep beating on the enemy while their down so they can't recover'.

E: also there is a star player pogoer with right stuff, and yes he is amazing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

staplegun posted:

With all this talk about TTM being used to score one turn touchdowns I think we're all forgetting the secret best reason for TTM - cage breaking.

Oh trust me, i didn't forget /foreshadowing

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I was doing some thinking about what, exactly, percent could you get a TTM play to.

Let's assume that you play conservatively and don't go for a 1 turn and instead cage up and screen until you can actually get the ball into the hands of your missile and get him next to the launcher. So right off the bat we can eliminate some of the 3+ rolls.

With flings you have a 3+ throw, and a 4+ landing and then maybe dodging and gfis but lets assume that isn't nessecary, since we're playing conservatively and you can cage and slow play until you're close enough and clear enough to fire. Since neither player has loner the odds are a fairly charitable 61% chance with a team reroll, if you can get doubles on your tree and commit to the cause and give it pass you can get that to 67% with reroll. This is ignoring the scatter launch from the pass but that math is wicked complicated and somewhat manageable so let's assume it's not important.

With underworld you have to deal with loner and really stupid, so instead you get a 2+ really stupid, a 2+ always hungry, a 3+ throw, and a 4+ landing, which is strictly worse. You can turn the 4+ landing into a 3+ landing with very long legs on a gobbo however which leaves the odds at 51%. If you can manage to get TWO doubles on a troll for both pro (basically free rerolls for loners kinda) and pass you can get the odds up to 61%, which only matches the fling odds without doubles.

Now underworld has the benefit of two heads on normals so you can get 2+ dodges instead of 3+, but if we make the assumption that you're tryhard-ing your TTM plays and not throwing if there is too much danger of doges, flings would be the better choice.

However for desperation plays or one turn TTM plays I'd probably go with underworld for the 2+ dodges and easier pickups/handoffs.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I was actually pretty sad that i didn't score at the end of the first half. I had a really good shot at it but my last two turns I just couldn't get anything done due to ~bloodbowl~.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basically HMP pass is better if you're throwing further than a short pass (aka long pass or long bomb). If you're just making short passes than pass is pretty reliable and you aren't as likely to accidentally scatter it into your own dudes.

I'm pretty confidant in my bomb positioning to mostly just throw short passes so I like pass more. Both are very legit pick ups though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

A good effort post about why I play goblins the way I do. With goblins you need a man advantage immediately and you never ever stop putting the boot to the enemy. I would rather let the enemy score and kill 2 more players than run a screen, which is why i tried to surf the wolf and throw blocks before making dodges to harass the ball carrier. If the dice work out in my favor it quickly steamrolls into an easy game for me.

That said any team with regeneration is obnoxious for goblins to deal with. Normally if I cas people I can realiably expect people not to use their apo unless it is a serious injury on a valuable player. People know goblins are going to attempt to kill their dudes and they will let most badly hurts slide for that reason. Regeneration however returns people to the field half the time, sure for the person playing the regeneration team they can't depend on it to save their good players, but for the goblin player all I really want is a man advantage, even if they aren't good players. I would have had 2 more permanently removed players in the first half if it wasn't for regen.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I actually bought a cheerleader because I was trying to game TV and I'm wicked tryhard. Then I remembered the bomber dribblesnot is 60k inducement and that if I hadn't had that cheerleader I would've had enough.

Basically what I'm saying is never get cheerleaders.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

Changing my vote from leap to Pass

Because look how good Mr Hadwick turned out.

Also, re passblock: This match shows it off in all its glory.
Fuckin rats, man.
Admittedly both these teams are more elfy (and we have seen neither in the LP yet). But it is amazing and may have made me a little mad at bloodbowl at the time.

Also, Bloodbowl is won or lost on your chat behaviour (plus it is way less painful to have all your mens removed when the other person talks)

I remember that game :allears:

I don't remember, didn't that guy end up having like, 4+ interceptions?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean 4+ as in, needs 4+ to intercept.

I know 4 agi gives 5+ interceptions, and VLL would make it a 4+. I can't remember who had VLL though, if anybody. Somebody had leap and VLL? god I don't remember that team at all except Johnny.

Some of the games in that LP were just amazing, but I think that was the single most frustrating ogre game I have ever played in that LP.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

pass

I actually really really like building my wights as more utility than pure murder. I have a wolf to be the murdermachine, let the wights be utility, blodge, guard sort of jerks. Pass works nicely into that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Necromantic is all about utility and versatility the dogs will always be the greatest blitzers on the team, wights are best built with things like guard, tackle, strip ball. To be used as sort of multi-tools when the situation deserves, pass fits into that quite nicely. I would ~like~ to get a double on a ghoul to give it pass instead but since you can't reasonably expect that wights work just fine.

I wouldn't use the wight as the main ball carrier, but I would play with the knowledge that a ghoul handoff to wight, wight pass to werewolf, is a reasonable play to cover a great distance.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It should be mentioned that you won't find matches against goons by just joining GGL and spinning the coin. Most matches are set up through IRC, just get on there and ask if anybody wants to bowl blood.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Honestly i don't think a pass wight should be handling the ball until an actual pass happens, and then sure hands doesn't help.

In a perfect world the ghoul carries the ball around and the wight just exists as a passing threat. Put him down the field as part of a screen or marking a skink or something and just realize that at any time you could hand off, and pass. It's a powerful play.

You don't have to be the guy who picks the ball up to be a reasonable passer, it's just more commonly used that way.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If I, or anybody else, wants to play again (if the LP goes that long) do we just add our name to the google doc again and basically go to the back of the line.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Fur is Murder

It works on multiple levels.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Basically starting with block, tackle, av 9, and thickskull on half your team instantly propels you into the 'no fun bullshit' levels of the stratosphere.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Save for the big guy complaint (deathroller is garbage) I could quote your complaints and swap out dwarf for ork and it would make sense.

Fake edit; the reason I defend dwarves so much is because I really don't see them being any different than orks and I really like dwarves in this game thematically. Troll slayers are probably my favorite positional in the game.

1000 tv dwarves are exactly what 1300 tv orcs are (if the orcs are being boring and doing nothing but block tackle guard). 1100 tv dwarves are 1500 tv orcs.

Dwarves are worse than orcs.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Maybe if all you are looking at is skills, stat wise orks are way better off.

Yet skills are more important early on and stats are more important later. You could make the argument that 2000 tv orcs are just as bad at their tv as 1000 tv dorfs are at theirs.

But saying that orcs are always as bad as 2000 tv orcs is just wrong.

Not to mention nobody plays at 2000 tv anyway, all my best teams wither and die at 1800 when goons don't want to play them anymore.

Dwarves are bullshit and completely unfun at the tv most people play at, while orcs are not.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

If your argument is 'orcs are just as bad as dwarves, so I don't know why people hate dwarves but not orcs'. Then you are simply wrong. Given the same tv (below like 1500 when orcs do become much more obnoxious but other teams have skills to deal with at least a bit of it) orcs are a 7/10 for annoying while dorfs are 10/10. Orcs might be 10/10 at 2000 tv but not at 1200.

Look, a 1200 tv orc team is going to have 4 blitzers with block and a level, maybe guard, maybe tackle, maybe mighty blow. 4 blorcs who are lucky if they have a level, maybe 2 with block. A thrower with a level and then a bunch of lineorks plus that one guy who got mvp and an interception or some dumb poo poo.

That gives you 4 annoying players, 4 meaty guys with few skills, and friends.

Equal tv dorfs, every blocker who levels already has block/tackle so they almost all take guard or mightyblow, runners probably have block and nothing else, blitzers probably have a level for guard or whatever. Troll slayers maybe? depends on the team and where the spp goes.

The point is that at equal tv one team has every single player with block and half the team with guard. The other team has 4-6 players with block and maybe 2-3 with guard.

Now you try to convince me how A=B

I mean I get it, you like dorfs, you are free to like dorfs. I am free to not play your team and poo poo talk dorfs all day long. It's just this argument equating dorfs with orcs as 'EXACTLY THE SAME THING' is blatantly wrong. They are two teams that fill the same general role, one of which comes online immediately and falls off later due to bad stats, the other of which has a better stat line and comes online at higher tv.

The reason 1500 tv orcs aren't as annoying as 1000 tv dorfs is that at 1500 tv whatever team I'm playing also has block, guard, break tackle, strip ball, and all the other skills I need to deal with orc's poo poo. Where at 1000 I'm lucky to have 4 players with block if I start as delfs or whatever, many teams only have 2 players with block, or none at all like lizards/chaos.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 6, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

2 minutes is plenty of time to finish your turn unless you're a horrible slow player.

Unfortunately cyanide (and the IRC :argh:) is full of these so 4 minutes is standard among goons.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

uPen posted:

Some turns just take longer. I like 4 minutes 99% oif the time since most turns don't take more than a minute or two but it's nice to have that extra time when you need it.

Personally I would rather give up that 1% of turns that would take longer than 2 minutes if it means I never had to wait more than 2 minutes for the other guy decide how he's going to throw his one block.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

As somebody who has done an LP of this game, more than 50% of the people I played were ridiculously slow.

Though more than one of them told me that was only because they wanted to do well for the LP, so take it as you will.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Wolves don't need two doubles to become amazing murders, just one for MB is enough.

Piling on is far from absolutely necessary unless you're going whole hog on the 'I suck at the game and can't win unless I just roll good cas dice, so lets do more of that'.

Duuk posted:

+ST is nice, 3db on st3 dudes without assists, but might be getting superfluous (and has the block or ST dilemma).

Let's talk about this for a second.

2db with block = 1/36 chance of failing (only dub skulls)

3db without block = 1/27 chance of failing.

That means that, roughly, you'll fail 1 more block in 100 blocks with a 3db than with block. Thats not bad odds, so the question becomes what else does the +st give you that would make it worthwhile to fail 1 more block in 100, on average. Thats a thing you can really only answer yourself as it depends on the team and the player and a million other things.

The point I just wanted to make is that the majority of bloodbowl players will foam at the mouth if you take +st on a big guy instead of block and honestly the numbers are pretty much equal and there are good reasons you may want more strength. It's one of those cases where the popular opinion isn't actually based on solid ground as much as p eople might think.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Duuk posted:

That is some good hard math, and ST7 is super cool. Thing is, I would think that the point of a tree is to tie up as many opponents as possible without you needing to send any extra help. Which means, if there's two dudes rubbing against your ST7 tree, suddenly you're right back down to the good old 2 dice, no block. Ultimately, both are nice which is why, for me at least, it would still be a dilemma.

Thats why it really comes down to a choice based on what player you're talking about.

For instance I would almost always give a tree +st for unassisted 3dbs. In your scenario you could just as easily put a dude on his 2 dudes to get a 3db again.

Beast of nurgle would always get +st for it's interaction with tentacles even though it wouldn't help with 3dbs as much as a tree.

Kroxigor would always get block because lizards don't need more strength. Moving from 5 to 6 strength doesn't actually give 3dbs unassisted anyway so block is far and away better for punching.

People in general will always parrot 'ALWAYS TAKE BLOCK' I just don't think thats true at all, it's only true if the +st isn't actually going to do anything for you.

• Locked thread