Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The other prospect, Xiang Ye, looked really impressive in his fight. I'm curious how that showdown will look now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

The other prospect, Xiang Ye, looked really impressive in his fight. I'm curious how that showdown will look now.

it was cool when he launched his opponent into the judge's desk, I actually want to see this guy vs Brian Douwes in moat fights more than I want to see him in kickboxing

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A7wHh55uk&t=12278s

this was badass too, I like the kooky rules with no knees and the lei tai, are there any sites to keep up to date with these competitions because I'm definitely down for stuff like this and chest punching championships every year or so

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62A7wHh55uk&t=12278s

this was badass too, I like the kooky rules with no knees and the lei tai, are there any sites to keep up to date with these competitions because I'm definitely down for stuff like this and chest punching championships every year or so

Lol, yeah, the breath-taker.

Worlds is every other year and Pan-Ams is every other year on off years. As you have seen, the level of talent is not very high. The mix of countries is very Soviet-bloc and Muslim, which is interesting. I think the rule set is pretty spectator friendly, though it errs on the sport instead of combat side.

I'm not sure if there's a good news source for the world-level events. Looking into it.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Dude so poo poo he makes Ghita fight badly. That's something

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Opal posted:

Dude so poo poo he makes Ghita fight badly. That's something

Amateur heavyweight in low participation sport not nearly as good as Ghita :monocle:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hello all.

I made it to the New Lumpinee stadium this weekend and it was awesome.

Make it a point to go at some point if you can. It was a bunch of small tiny Thai teens / young adults but it was still pretty rad and very fast.

Heaviest of dudes were 134 lbs.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

kimbo305 posted:

Amateur heavyweight in low participation sport not nearly as good as Ghita :monocle:

I can't honestly decide which one should not have been there more, the leg fucker upper death machine or the guy who defends punches by stretching out his arms and bending backwards at the waist.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1xB_3i_Xps men's 90kg+ semis up now

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
This rules, they get to dispute rulings on the points but they have to fill in a form

Opal
May 10, 2005

This is such a weird sport

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Highlights of that semi final to me:

Leg kicks absolutely never scoring

Ghita tripping his opponent and his opponent's Super Meter instantly going up(?)

Written complaints procedure

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Highlights of that semi final to me:

Leg kicks absolutely never scoring

Ghita tripping his opponent and his opponent's Super Meter instantly going up(?)

Written complaints procedure

The judges seem way stricter about clean strikes than I'm used to. Any striking in the clinch doesn't score points, but can still set up your throw and of course hurt your opponent.
Like I said earlier, it's sport over combat, so here are things that are categorically worth more than taking a Ghita high kick on your guard (which is 0 points + the accumulated bruising):

1 point: a light jab to the chest shield followed by tying up so you can't get countered aka the John Ruiz special
2 points: a quick teep or sidekick above the waist, even with no damage
1 point: falling down completely but lulling your opponent to step off the platform before the ref stops the action. You take -2 points for falling but 3 points for the pushoff

Ghita's adjustment should have been going to the body instead of head-hunting with his punches, which his opponent wisely ducked every time.

After watching all the semis, I've decided that the pushoffs are an insanely good gimmick.

Opal
May 10, 2005

The tiny fight people were good too, there was some cool punch judo going on

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Some more details on the full card for K-1's "heavyweight" tournament, and unfortunately they're continuing the proud tradition of bullshit with their titles. Stauros, who just annihilated the champion Taiga within a round in a non-title fight, does not get a title shot. Shamelessly copied and pasted from kakutougi:

Takei Yoshiki vs Victor Saravia
Kido Yasuhiro vs Kimura Philip Minoru
Komiyama Kosuke vs Stauros Exakoustidis
Reserve bout Aitaka Ryo vs Furuta Taichi

Also I think I posted about this before, but here's an uncharacteristic reason for kickboxing to make the news and the reason Stauros' opponent wasn't on the last show

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/07/14/national/kawasaki-k-1-kickboxer-rescues-two-men-trapped-vehicles-head-crash-tokushima/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is a really nice signature sanshou technique:

Sidekicks happen in sanshou because they score 2 points from a distance and are harder to catch than a round kick, but you can still catch them.
Instead of sweeping the support leg, just pull them off balance and then redirect their leg to rotate them off balance.

A clean throw (where you stay standing and don't fall on top of the throwee) is 2 pts, so it's a really good counter if you land it.

Sidekicks happen in sanshou because they score 2 points from a distance and are harder to catch than a round kick, but you can still catch them.
Instead of sweeping the support leg, just pull them off balance and then redirect their leg to rotate them off balance.

A clean throw (where you stay standing and don't fall on top of the throwee) is 2 pts, so it's a really good counter if you land it.

e: to give you an idea of how exceedingly shallow the pool for sanshou is, the guy in blue, in his previous match, outmuscled and outpointed a fighter from the US. This was at 80kg.
I fought the US contestant a year ago at 85kg in a nationals event and lost in two rounds, one closeish.

e2: oh yeah, one of the commentators was the ref for my fight and tried to 10-count me taking a groin shot.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 4, 2017

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it kinda reminds me of highschool-level karate tournaments where its 19 kids who are there because their parents secretly think they're gay and 1 kid that really wants to wreck poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've never thought about it before, but you can cheat and buy yourself time by saying something's wrong with your headgear. I saw a few people do this off of a big hit or when they needed a breather.

Also, the Chinese heavyweight looked fat, but has huge leg muscles on slo-mo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DworhUrKsNg&t=6558s

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
melvin rules

https://i.imgur.com/UgmwU3U.mp4

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ah yes let's do the look over the head make diminutive trick to the guy who knocked out mark hunt as a welterweight

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
ufc, sign melvin and put him against struve after this

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

ah yes let's do the look over the head make diminutive trick to the guy who knocked out mark hunt as a welterweight

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
He's basically my hero

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
his fight against robbie was why i didn't like robbie for a while. some of the best leg kicks i've ever seen and then it looked like melvin got hit with a 2x4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A 2x4's got nothing on what Robbie Lawler's packin.

e: wow, that was perfectly MMA-homoerotic.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I respect the man with a glass jaw who hits like a truck. He was tuning Lawler up in that fight before he got his lights turned off.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Is there just zero available info about lion fights or am I crazy?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

To me he's one of the most guaranteed fun guys to watch kill someone or get smashed (robbie lawler fight is god tier for me)

Has he always done funny things like this? I'll admit I don't watch a lot of press stuff (I love it I just don't seem to see much)

either way, melvin rules

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Novum posted:

Is there just zero available info about lion fights or am I crazy?

I can't tell if they have any social media presence. If one of the fighters at the gym fights on an event, I have to google a few days later to see if there's a pirated copy of the fight on Youtube.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeDrDxJUBI
UFC Fight Pass, the place to watch live executions :smith:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The finish: https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/919176428360384512

It could have been worse, I guess...?

He should never fight again, it's just sad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The ref was looking out for silva which was nice.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/mmajunkie/status/919221411972972545

:cry: :cry: :cry:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When someone's hunting the wheel kick finish on you, the gap is too big.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

When someone's hunting the wheel kick finish on you, the gap is too big.

Luckily none of them landed flush and the referee was on his toes, a loving dumb, pointless slaughter that nobody enjoys is one thing, but the fact they used a dude's brain as a billboard for their December PPV that literally nobody cares about is some real cynical bullshit

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm in Amsterdam trying to find out who killed who at that Cassa Rosso pink neon elephant place, and getting away with it by telling people I know Alistair Overeem and his mates, and I'm getting really cool kickboxing adverts and promotios on Facebook/Twitter/YouTube advertising. Its very cultural.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

willie_dee posted:

I'm in Amsterdam trying to find out who killed who at that Cassa Rosso pink neon elephant place, and getting away with it by telling people I know Alistair Overeem and his mates, and I'm getting really cool kickboxing adverts and promotios on Facebook/Twitter/YouTube advertising. Its very cultural.

Your British ability to bullshit without outright fibbing is amazing.

Pictures please.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Had a bit of a bizarre night, glad I stayed sober and had my wits about me because I came back with the same amount of Euros that I left with, but I've been sent on a bit of a wild goose chase and have ended up in a lovely bagel shop eating breakfast owned by Kirst Novoselic, who I thought was some gangster I was tracking down but it turns out he was the bassist for a band called Nirvana. Also he's not here.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

willie_dee posted:

Had a bit of a bizarre night, glad I stayed sober and had my wits about me because I came back with the same amount of Euros that I left with, but I've been sent on a bit of a wild goose chase and have ended up in a lovely bagel shop eating breakfast owned by Kirst Novoselic, who I thought was some gangster I was tracking down but it turns out he was the bassist for a band called Nirvana. Also he's not here.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Does anyone know willie_dee irl? Like, if he gets killed in some kind of bouncing/steroid/bike theft/dutch organized crime/shitposting incident, will we ever know?